Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Juliee8
Mouseketeer

Need Branson tips & discounts

We have decided to take the kids to Branson the end of July. We haven't been there in almost 10 years so I am looking for some tips from those of you who have been there recently. Also where is the best place to look for discounts for shows and for Silver Dollar City? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
jackilvsmath
Earning My Ears

We will be there at the end of July as well (for dance), so I will be watching this post for info also. Have a grea trip!

Jacki
jackilvsmath is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

SDC Tickets

If you want to go to SDC for 2 days, you can get two days for the price of one tickets at the local grocery stores (Price Cutters, Country Marts) or Welcome Centers. They are $60 for adults.

Also, if you go after 3pm, your next day is free, but that price would still be $60 for a one day ticket. In late July, I think the parks are open until 10.

SDC has really changed in the past 10 years and has a lot more to do for kids! We live in KC, but have season passes and go down a couple of times per year. You can also take in your own food and drinks.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
mom2alix
I know he is always on my side
How fun! I'll play!

Here's a groupon deal for the Outback Steakhouse in Branson...

http://www.groupon.com/springfield-mo
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
VLee
DIS Veteran

We, too, thought of taking a short trip up that way in July or early August. And like the OP, it has been a very long time since we were there. This time, I will have 3 GKs with me, 12, 9 and 5.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Whitewater has the same after 3, next day free deal and as it's owned by SDC, you can bundle WW & SDC tickets for a discount IIRC. Learn the "blue" routes around the main drag to avoid traffic.
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
MissouriPrincess
Mouseketeer

We live a couple hours away and go to Branson pretty frequently. A good message board is 1branson.com. It has up-to-date info. A fan site for Silver Dollar City is sdcfans.com.

It will be pretty hot when you go, so I would try to do mornings for sure. It sounds like you may be there during Moonlight Madness. The park and most attractions are open until 10:00. It will still be hot and humid, but at least the sun will not be out.

In the evening, it is fun to walk along Branson Landing. I don't know if that was open since you've been.

June 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge--Kidani Village
June 2014 Port Orleans Riverside/ AKL--Kidani Village
MissouriPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

We went earlier this month. I got 2 days for the price of 1 Silver Dollar City tickets on reservebranson.com. That is also where I got Dixie Stampede tickets. At Ride the Ducks, I bought their Ducks/Titanic combo. When looking for discount tickets, you need to watch out for timeshare deals. I hear there is a purple building on the strip that has discount tickets with no timeshare sales. We of course avoided pitches by doing the above, but we did get a little pitch at the checkout of a store on the strip.

Here are the things we did:
Dogwood Canyon Nature Park (this is southwest of Branson but worth the trip! We rode bikes and then took the tram ride. The scenery is so beautiful! It is full of trout streams and waterfalls. A nice easy bike ride. The tram ride takes you out into the elk and bison pastures. My favorite activity of the trip)
Silver Dollar City (we spent two days and rode Thunderation several times...DD10 and DH loved the River Blast...the girls also enjoyed a little country school session...we did the free parking and rode the tram once, the other times we just walked to our vehicle instead of waiting on the tram)
Ride the Ducks (always a fun time. We did the one that takes off from the strip near Walmart- it looked more interesting than the Taneycomo one. Great scenery and silliness.)
Titanic Museum (very interesting. DD10 wanted to go after having learned about it some in school. You each get a card with info on a passenger, and at the end you see if you lived or died. LOTS to read and listen to. If your kids are younger they won't enjoy it as much)
Dixie Stampede (easily my kids' favorite activity. Get there an hour or more early to look at the horses and see the pre-show. Very entertaining throughout.)
National Tiger Sanctuary (DD10 has an interest in tigers. This is about 10 miles north of Branson so we did it on the way home. It was really neat to see them.)

We rented a cabin from vrbo that was near the lake. It was really nice to be out of the town. We were only in actual Branson one day. The bad thing about staying where we did (south side of Table Rock Lake) is the curvy roads. DD10 was really fighting the carsickness.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Also, if you haven't already, check out the Branson info on tripadvisor.com. I read the forum on Branson, and the reviews on attractions there.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPrincess View Post

In the evening, it is fun to walk along Branson Landing. I don't know if that was open since you've been.
We love Branson Landing. It is a shopping area along a river (?). There are several restaurants and a small play area for young kids. There is also a water fountain/fire show set to music, that plays on the hour, I think.

The College of the Ozarks is a really neat place to visit. It is maybe a 30 min (?) drive, but the kids can watch the cows get milked and then feed the baby calves with the bottles, for free. There is a tractor museum. You can eat at the Keeter Center on the grounds, which is a beautiful lodge that overlooks the college--it is not what I would consider cheap but is very nice. It is so peaceful there.

My kids love to visit the Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery. It is also free to visit, but you can buy fish food for like .50 or $1, I don't remember which. There are fish tanks and if I remember correctly some snakes/turtles in aquariums. Then outside are where the trout are being raised. My kids love it!

ETA: We usually do both of these activites on the same day, since they are in the same general area. We go to the hatchery first, then to the college--look around there before eating at the Keeter Center.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
JayhawkFans
Mouseketeer

Sounds like we need to plan a Dis Meet in Branson for late July. I live in Branson and can be available most any evening after 6:00 p.m.

A previous poster did mention a purple building on the strip and yes .. that is accurate .. it's Branson 2 for 1 tickets and to my knowledge it is not tied to any timeshare presentations whatsoever.

If you have any specific questions or need more information feel free to email me at crz4mickey@gmail.com.

Definitely learn the back roads through town .. and DEFINITELY check a map before coming if you are needing to take Hwy 65 South from Springfield, MO to Branson. They are in the midst of road construction and traffic backs up for many many miles (especially going North out of Branson on your way home). That would be enough to sour anyone's great vacation.

Disney Dream - 1/12/14- 4-night Bahamian
Disney Dream - 9/26/13- 3-night Bahamian
JayhawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Disneycrazymom
DIS Veteran

Both Six and the Haygoods offer really good shows. My dd just asked to see both of them again this year.

There are 3 new zip lines and also a 4 wheel drive excursion.

http://www.bransonzipline.com/

http://www.adventureziplinesofbranson.com/

http://www.goziplineusa.com/

http://triplegatv.com/

http://www.thehaygoods.com/

http://www.thesixshow.com/

Disneycrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
smphbear
Mouseketeer

If you are going to zipline, I recommend the first one listed in the post above. They are just north of town. The land is an eco-preserve. We zipped there last June. We had so much fun that next time we go to Branson, we plan to do the whole course and the Blue Streak zipline.
04 Vacation Villas - Ds7 first trip
June 07 - Cypress Pointe - Ds3 first trip
June 08 - Cypress Pointe -
Feb 09 - Adults only - POP
Mar 11 - Just the four of us for Mardi Gras - POP
Feb 13 - POP for Mardi Gras
smphbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

We live in NW Arkansas and usually visit Branson 2 or 3 times a year to go to Silver Dollar City (although we've never bought season passes).

We're headed back next week and I was surprised to find out that SDC doesn't have any kind of Halloween celebration or any Halloween themeing whatsoever. You would think that that park would lend itself to a "Halloween Horror Nights" kind of theme very well...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
rusty4
DIS Veteran

This forum has alot of info on Branson and local deals.

http://www.1branson.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: