Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
TotalDreamer
Mouseketeer

Looking foward t hearing about Carsland!

The Hilton looks great we might be staying @ a Hilton for our next trip.
TotalDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Great report and beautiful grandkids..but only 2 days at DLR???!!!
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Great trip report! Can't wait to read more!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDreamer View Post
Looking foward t hearing about Carsland!

The Hilton looks great we might be staying @ a Hilton for our next trip.
Cars Land was a ton of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
Great report and beautiful grandkids..but only 2 days at DLR???!!!
Like I said at the beginning of the report, it was a short trip, but as you'll see, we packed in a lot in those two days!

We mainly planned the trip just so our grandson could see Cars Land. I pobably wouldn't even have done Universal Studios, except that my husband had to be in that area on business, so I figured I'd tag along.

Summer is usually when we take a two week family vacation to the beach. Both grandkids have spent time on beaches on both coasts. I grew up near the ocean and I want them to also know the joys of the seaside!

When I knew that Cars Land would be opening in June, and being only an eight hour drive away, I suggested we take a few days and go check it out.

Two days WAS short, though! One more day would have been nice, just so we could have gone back through and visited attractions we didn't have time for. Just means we'll have to plan another trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Great trip report! Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Grove Chris View Post
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Thanks! I'm going to try to get day three posted later today.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
luvflorida

Does anyone know how to move this thread to the trip report forum? I know that's where it should be!

DAY THREE- Wednesday, June 20th- Warner Brothers Studio Tour, then on to Anaheim! After breakfast (room service again) we checked out and drove over to Burbank. It was a short drive, only taking us about fifteen minutes. We had reservations for the 9am tour, but ended up getting there around 8:10. I was afraid we'd hit morning rush hour traffic, so I had allowed plenty of time to get there. We never hit any traffic, though.

Warner Brothers Building

"What's Up, Doc?"

At check-in, the clerk said they had two openings for the 8:30 tour and asked if we'd like to switch from the 9am tour. We did, and off we went to wait in a small theatre area. Each tour group consisted of twelve people. We watched a short film on the history of Warner Brothers Studios and saw clips from many WB films. We were then introduced to our tour guide and we headed outside and boarded our tour tram. We sat three to a seat which was a bit cramped, but there were frequent stops along the way where everyone got out to explore, so it wasn't too bad.

The tour lasted approximately two and half hours and we really enjoyed all of it. We were allowed to take photographs in some of the areas, mostly outdoor areas, but in others we had to put all cameras in a locked bin under one of the seats.

One of the highlights of the tour was a stop at a studio building that contained many original props and costumes from WB movies. The entire second floor was devoted to clothing and props from the Harry Potter films. I am a big fan of Harry Potter, so I made a beeline for the stairs! Again, no photography was allowed and absolutely no touching of the props. It was so tempting to reach out and caress a costume or touch a prop, but I didn't want to be asked to leave the tour. Ha! Ha! And there were several stern looking security guards in the area!

There was a stool in the middle of the room with an employee standing next to it and holding a sorting hat. If you wanted to, you could sit on the stool and he would hold the hat over your head and it would sort you into one of the four houses. The hat "talked" and sounded just like the sorting hat in the films. I was sorted into Hufflepuff.

After about twenty minutes (I could have spent more time looking at everything) we returned to the tram and back to the main building.

A few pics from the tour:

Prop building. I had to take a pic of the fake cacti.

Lamp, anyone? We only saw a tiny portion of the props building.

backlot

This house was used as the Seaver's home in Growing Pains.

Totally fake houses on a totally fake street. The street is curved to give the illusion that it continues around the corner. It actually ended right behind the trees.

One of the buildings had cars on display from several WB movies.

Harry Potter

Goldmember

The Hangover

Arthur

After checking out the gift shop, we headed to our car and set off for Anaheim. YAY!

Last edited by luvflorida; 06-26-2012 at 07:26 PM.
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
luvflorida

We left Burbank around 11am and arrived at the Candy Cane Inn less than an hour later. Megan, Daniel and the kids were on their way from Arizona and due to arrive around 4pm. We knew it was probably too early to check in, but figured we'd have better luck getting connecting rooms if we let them know we had already arrived.

The front desk clerk, James, was extremely nice and accommodating. He was a very friendly guy! Rooms weren't ready yet, but he managed to switch things around and get us connecting rooms on the first floor. He got us all checked in, gave us parking permits for the cars, and told us we were welcome to park there and do whatever we wanted to do until the rooms were ready. He also gave us two coupons, one for a free appetizer at Bubba Gumps and one for a free appetizer or kid's meal at the Rainforest Cafe. We already had plans to eat at Bubba Gumps for dinner, so we used the free appetizer coupon. Nice!

We left our car at the CCI and walked over to Anaheim GardenWalk and ate lunch at Johnny Rockets. After lunch, we walked back to the CCI for the car and drove over to Walmart. We picked up milk, water and juice to stock both refrigerators and some snacks, then drove back to the motel.

By now it was close to 3:30 and our rooms were ready. We unloaded the car, put things away, filled the fridges, and went outside to wait for Megan, Daniel and the kids to arrive. They pulled into the parking lot a little after 4pm.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
luvflorida

Getting a candy cane was the first order of business!

This was our first stay at the Candy Cane Inn, and we liked it very much. We would definitely stay here again. The rooms are pretty much your typical, average motel room. There are standard, deluxe and premium rooms. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. I do have to say, though, the towels were thicker and softer than some towels we've had in more expensive hotels. And they were plentiful, more than we needed.

I can't speak for the standard rooms, but the deluxe had plenty of room for a small crib or pack 'n play. We had connecting, deluxe rooms on the first floor. If you get a room on the left-hand side of the motel (facing the front of the motel) you'll be able to look right out your window, or step outside your door, and see the fireworks at night. Not as good as seeing them from the parks, I'm sure, but not bad!

Pics of the Candy Cane Inn

There are lots of trees, bushes, vines and flowers throughout the property.

Quiet, outdoor areas on the second floor.

This is how close the back of Cars Land is to the CCI. If you could cut a door through the wood, you'd have easy access to Cars Land! You'll also be able to tell if the Radiator Springs Racers are up and running, because you can hear the revving of the engines as they round one of the bends in the track. It wasn't loud or constant, though, and didn't bother us at all. In fact, I liked hearing the cars!

Deluxe room

The fridge is on the shelf above the counter to the left.

And...the bus! I didn't think we'd even use it since the CCI is so close to the parks, but there were a couple of times that we could have kissed that bus when we saw it waiting for us!

Last edited by luvflorida; 07-08-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fixed captions
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
luvflorida

Before we left on our trip, I bought a few surprises for the grandkids to have each night when we returned to the motel. The idea was to avoid spending time with little ones in the gift shops in the parks, and it worked quite well. Neither child stepped foot in any of the park's shops, and they were always excited to know they had a surprise waiting for them back at the hotel. Carter, more so than Vanessa. She's still too young to realize that there are goodies just waiting to be bought all over the parks!

Even without going into the shops it's easy to see all the tempting toys. Every time we walked past the World of Disney Store in Downtown Disney, Carter would look at each toy on display and casually remark, "I never had THAT toy"..."and I never had THAT toy..." He never asked for anything, it was just funny the way he said it about every toy. You would think the poor child didn't have a roomful of toys at home!

Larry and I had the keys to both rooms, so before the kids arrived, I set out their surprises for the first day:

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse came from the Disney Store back in Tucson, and the towels I picked up earlier in the day from Walmart.

They loved their surprises!

But wait...

Minnie is for Vanessa!

Oh, well! Carter had his heart set on Minnie, but he shared it with Vanessa. She was happy with Mickey, but really didn't care which mouse she had!

I forgot to take pictures of the other two days, but on the second day, Carter got a set of CARS and Vanessa got a set of Pooh Bear toys from the Disney Store. For the last night, they each got a beach pail and sand toys since we were going to Huntington Beach before heading home. Carter's was a CARS set and Vanessa's was a Minnie Mouse set. They were five dollars each at Walmart and actually very sturdy.

Last edited by luvflorida; 06-26-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #25
luvflorida

The kids had been cooped up in the car for a good part of the day, so Megan and I took them over to work off some energy in the kiddie pool.

The Candy Cane Inn has a small pool for little ones in an area next to the regular pool. It's 18 inches deep all around.

The kids had a good time splashing around.

The regular pool is nearby. It's not a huge pool, but is in a pleasant area behind the office. A continental breakfast is served each morning in an area by the pool.

Time to dry off and get ready for dinner!

We walked over to Bubba Gump at the Anaheim GardenWalk.

"Table for two, please!"

After dinner, we walked over to Downtown Disney. We enjoyed watching this guy play a variety of drums.

And Daniel and Carter built cars out of Legos and raced them.

It was getting late, so we headed back to the CCI. Both kids were tired and went right to sleep without a problem. Carter was very excited knowing he was going to Cars Land in the morning!

Last edited by luvflorida; 07-08-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added pic and fixed captions
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I didn't even know WB had a tour..looks like alot of fun..and so cool HP stuff is there. The Candy Cane has always looked very appealing. They don't offer bookings on hotels.com so I've never booked there, but it looks very nice and seems like all reviews are positive.

Last edited by nunzia; 06-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #27
StephNJer
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying reading your trip report, keep it coming! Your Grandkids are beautiful. What a sweet surprise they had waiting for them in the hotel.

I've never stayed at CCI, and have always heard great things about them, but I may have to stay there sometime based on your pics. It looks nice!

12/2005 HOJO - First trip with DH
4/2008 Annabella - DD's first trip
5/2009 HOJO
11/2010 HOJO - DS's first trip and trip with my mom
2/2011 HOJO - DH birthday trip
10/2011 Red Lion- First Mickey's Halloween Party
6/2012 BWPPI
1/2013 GCH -My birthday trip!
1/2014 BWPPI - Ran Tinkerbell 10k!

url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
StephNJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
teachU2
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your trip report and pictures! So much fun! Thanks for sharing!
teachU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
luvflorida

DAY FOUR-Thursday, June 21st- We were up and ready to head out by 7am. After eating breakfast by the motel pool, we walked over to Disneyland, got through the security check and were inside DCA by 7:40am. There was already a crowd waiting inside the park and there was a long line to the left for fast passes for RSR. Our plan of attack was for Larry to head over to the fast pass line with all our tickets while the rest of us would head straight to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree as soon as the crowd was set free.

Happy baby!

Studying the park map.

Here it is! It was so exciting just to see the signs!

We got to Mater's a little after 8 and the wait time was 20 minutes. Megan, Daniel and Carter got in line and Vanessa and I went to find a good spot to watch and take a few pics.

Short story: About a month ago, Megan and Daniel took Carter and Vanessa on a road trip to see parts of the real Route 66. They thought it would be a fun way for Carter to experience some of Route 66 before going to Cars Land. It was a neat idea and they had a lot of fun. They traveled from Tucson up to Flagstaff and over to Winslow and Holbrook (the town that Radiator Springs is based on) and back through Williams and Kingman, Arizona.

There was a place they stopped at along the way that had an old truck parked out front. The truck looked a lot like Mater and Carter had his picture taken beside it. He thought it was pretty awesome! Supposedly, the owner of the truck had decked it out to look like Mater, but couldn't call it that (Disney wouldn't like that!) so the name on the side of the truck said "Tow Later".

Even though Carter got to see parts of the original Route 66, when he stepped into Cars Land, I know he believed that was the REAL Route 66 and the true home of Lightning McQueen and Mater!

I tried to get some good pictures of them on the ride, but I was holding Vanessa and trying to balance my camera at the same time. Not easy! Carter loved Mater's Junkyard Jamboree! And I think I had just as much fun watching them!

It's a peppy little attraction with catchy tunes sung by Mater. It's one of the first things you see and hear as you enter Cars Land from the end of Buena Vista Street.

It's fun just watching everyone on the ride. Lots of laughter and smiling faces! A word of caution, though. If you ride this with little ones, hold on to them! I took Carter on Mater later that evening and I was surprised at how much we slid around on the seat. I had my arm around Carter and at one point we slid sideways and the face of my watch smacked into the side of the cart. If my arm hadn't been there, Carter might have hit his head instead. When Carter rode with his mom and dad, he was between them, so no problem. It's a really cute, fun ride. Just hold on to the youngsters!

We were just putting Vanessa in her stroller when Larry joined us. He had five fast passes for RSR with a return time of 1:10-2:10. Woo! Hoo! Not sure of the exact time, but later in the morning fast passes were no longer available for the day. Along with fast passes for RSR, Larry was given five passes for Grizzly River Run. Total time for him in the FP line was about 35 minutes.

As we were getting ready to head over to the Cozy Cone Motel to meet Lightning McQueen, a cast member came up to Carter and asked his name. He told her and she said she thought he was the Carter she was looking for. She said Mater told her to be looking for a little boy named Carter wearing a red shirt and to be sure to give him a special button from Mater.

Carter thought that was just the neatest thing ever! He said he KNEW that Mater knew he was visiting that day!

Last edited by luvflorida; 07-08-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixed captions
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #30
luvflorida

Not far from Mater's ride is the Cozy Cone Motel and that's where Lightning McQueen and Mater take turns meeting and greeting guests. McQueen was there so we got in line. When it was Carter's turn and he walked in front of the car, McQueen said something that sounded like he was asking if Carter was "detailed". I didn't quite catch what he said and I don't know if he always says the same things or not. It was funny, though.

After watching Lightning McQueen drive away, we headed over to A Bug's Land. We wanted to do some attractions that Vanessa could enjoy, also. There really isn't much in Cars Land for babies, toddlers or those that don't meet the height requirements for the rides.

Carter and Vanessa had the best time in A Bug's Land! Vanessa loved the Chew Chew Train. We all rode it together, then when Carter, Megan and Daniel were going on other attractions in Bug's Land, Larry and I rode the train with Vanessa at least four times. By far, Carter's favorite ride in A Bug's Land was the Drive 'Em Buggies. He got the biggest kick out of them!

I loved the smell of the animal crackers as we rode past them on the train!

Drive 'Em Buggies

Poor Grampa is back there all by himself.

Vanessa waving to all the Buggies. And no, we didn't leave her there all by herself!

Flik's Flyers

We then went to the 10:15 performance of the Disney Junior Stage Show. Both kids loved it! Vanessa especially liked the streamers and bubbles that came floating down from above. If time had allowed, I would have taken them back a second time.

Last edited by luvflorida; 07-08-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: fixed captions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: