Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #61
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penel3 View Post
What about bringing my own Kurieg? Could I do that?
Quote:
Question
What items are not permitted on board?
Answer
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...hibited-items/

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #62
Tinkmom
DIS Veteran

I'm another who finds the coffee onboard to be FINE. I AM a coffee snob, and while it's not the best I've ever had it's not bad at all.

I find it funny that people would bring Starbucks INSTANT and think that is better. I don't think Starbucks coffee is all that, when freshly brewed and hot. Lukewarm instant? IMHO that's just nasty!
Tinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #63
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

The coffee on board most cruise ships, including DCL, is instant nescafe liquid, so the via packets are at least instant dark beans. It's received by them in liquid packets so the reconstituted nescafe is quick to use & store. The dining rooms, including Palo, have always used this too. I'm not sure if it's the presentation, but some people seem to enjoy it more in the dining rooms - it's the same stuff & I fall on the side of finding it undrinkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
I am one of the dissenters on this, I do not make coffee at home (can not afford my own tastes!! ) but I do LOVE a good cup of coffee...I was disappointed that Cove Cafe only (at least on the Magic/Wonder) offered Arabica...no Kona, no Colombian...it just tasted bitter...I don't like to add sugar or cream to my coffee and even with 3 sugars it still tasted bitter...I don't like Starbucks either, tastes burned....just give me a medium roast Kona or Colombian bean...is that too hard?

The Cove has always only had espresso beans when I was there. I do like espresso so will get a dry cappuccino sometimes. DH doesn't like espresso so gets a blended mocha or a latte. The prices are $3-4 for what we order & they will add some water for you & make an "American" but I haven't tried that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinfarber View Post
How do you go about getting the boiling/very hot water for the frebnch press?
That's my problem with a press - yes, room service will bring a carafe of hot water for you but it wasn't ever hot enough for a good cup of coffee imo. Maybe grind the beans really fine & see if that helps - I haven't tried that yet. Also you can order from the Cove in the dining room at breakfast and/or go to the drink station for hot water, but while it's fine for tea, I never had good results with it, so just bring the VIAs lately.....sometimes I wish I liked sweetener in it because that does seem like a quick fix, but I drink it black so am SOL!!

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

A Keurig, a press, packets of coffee?? Seriously? With all the Disney charges for their cruises, you'd think they could provide good coffee without forcing people to lug a bunch of extra cr*p with them!

I don't mind paying for my coffee but the fact that I had to take my coffee out of the Cove (no kids allowed) was annoying.
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #65
beachbratt
Mouseketeer

We always bring a container of the dry flavored creamer for DH and yes if he has coffee in the DR he takes it with him and if any left at the end of the cruise we just throw it away he says it makes the coffee drinkable

DISNEY WONDER**APRIL 29-MAY 3 2007**
DISNEY WONDER**SEPTEMBER 16-20 2007**
DISNEY MAGIC**SEPTEMBER 27-OCTOBER 4 2008**
DISNEY MAGIC**MAY 23-MAY 30 2009**
DISNEY MAGIC**DEC 05-DEC 12 2009**
DISNEY WONDER**JULY25-JULY30 2010**
CARNIVAL DREAM **DECEMBER 10-17 2011**
DISNEY FANTASY**AUGUST 25-SEPTEMBER 1 2012**
DISNEY DREAM **DEC 6-13 2012** B2B

beachbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Man, I'm glad that I don't drink coffee. Never have, never will. However, yesterday when we were shopping at World Market I saw a Bodum traveling french press and I thought of this thread.
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/K11057-01/

Maybe this will help someone out...
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #67
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynme View Post
We did the FE and I gave all the men a 3-pack of Starbucks Vias as part of their gift (3 night Dream).
That is a GREAT idea! I'm totally stealing it.

I thought the coffee at the station was OK with some hot chocolate powder in it. Yeah, not saying much, I know.

I never actually tasted the MDR coffee. Our dinners took so long, and the coffee was so hot, we always left before it cooled down enough to drink
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #68
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I think that they are very sloppy for combining the cooler thing with, maybe, the food thing. Makes it hard to figure out what their whole point is. Is the point that they don't want a cooler, or they don't want food?

We have that Igloo MaxCold *backpack* that is talked about on the theme park boards, and it could carry things in without being any more intrusive than another backpack.
I think their point is to avoid folks walking onto the ship towing a big ol' red and white Igloo wheeled cooler and then parking at the pool or around the ship with it... like they often do at the WDW resorts. As far as food... I think moderation is key and unopened as they say specifically not to bring opened foods or bags... so I wouldn't think a small unopened container of 1/2 n 1/2 would cause too much trouble in your carry-on... worst comes to worse they make you toss it and you are out a $2.29 or so.

Maybe we are rule breakers... but we are planning on bringing a small (lunch box) sized collapsible cooler to put in the luggage.

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
Topper
DIS Veteran

Cove Cafe Menu (Fantasy): http://allears.net/cruise/ships/fant...ve-fantasy.htm

And this thread is a perfect example of why Disney is in no hurry to do anything about the coffee. Too many people, with differing tastes, there will ALWAYS be factions who dislike the coffee. They can't win.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #70
wickedwitch1
Earning My Ears

refrigerators

What rooms, if any, have those small refrigerators? I would love to bring my creamer for my tea but not sure if I want the hassle of keeping it in the ice bucket for five days!
wickedwitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #71
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixielizzie View Post
I found the coffee to be acceptable! The dining room coffee was pretty good and the drink station coffee was drinkable.
Agreed. DH and I thought the coffee in the dining rooms was great. I know everyone on here says that it's the same product in the parks, food courts, etc., but it tasted much different to us and we really enjoyed it.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #72
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch1 View Post
What rooms, if any, have those small refrigerators? I would love to bring my creamer for my tea but not sure if I want the hassle of keeping it in the ice bucket for five days!
All the rooms on Disney ships have either a "cooling box" (on the Magic & Wonder) or a refrigerator (Dream & Fantasy). There are a few rooms on the Magic that the cooling box has been replaced with a real fridge.

The cooling box can work really well, or not so much. For the ones that don't work as well, you can put your ice bucket (supplied everyday by room host) inside and it will help.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #73
August2012Magic
Earning My Ears

The room service coffee was terrible. On the last day we tried the Nescafé machine and were surprised at how much better it was than room service. Not great, but way more drinkable. I couldn't stomach more than a few sips out of the room service carafe.
August2012Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #74
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I love how often this comes up, on every board about every cruise line. They all have crappy coffee!! If you're a real coffee snob, you aren't going to be able to make your own on board because you can't bring a grinder and even if you could, you can't get water the proper temp to make it.

DH is a major coffee drinker (gallons a day) while I am just a snob about it and want one or two good cups per day. We both just deal with whatever we find onboard or do without.

Lack of coffee is really just a reason to hit the alcohol earlier in the day.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #75
TrustMeMom
Mouseketeer

Lack of coffee is really just a reason to hit the alcohol earlier in the day.

This!!!
TrustMeMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: