Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

I can't say he doesn't still argue...but much more agreeable!

Back in 2006 I posted a thread saying DS-5 doesn't want to go to WDW and oh man I got FLAMED!!!! He truly kept saying he didn't want to go! He wanted to spend the week at my MILs. He was such a world class pain the butt I should have let him!!!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
dapod423
Mouseketeer

DAY 4- MK cont

Heading back to MK the rain just kept coming down. Now we had been there last October 8th which was apparently the worst rainfall in 10 years in Orlando, so we know rain. My DS made me ride Dumbo in the rain. THAT was an experience.

We just put on our ponchos and set out. But since there was lots of rain on this evening there is a shortage of pictures. We hadn't gone on Winnie the Pooh that morning so he was our first stop and he was enjoyable as always. Dinner was at the Columbia Harbour House. I had heard that they added a lobster roll to the menu and wanted to try it out. I DO NOT recommend it. Not good. Whoever made that sandwich does not know lobster rolls. Or maybe I'm just spoiled having lived on Long Island my whole life. DS liked it though and wound up eating mine.

Next DS wanted to show DM how he wasn't scared of the HM anymore. He had gone on it in January on our trip with my DH's whole family and besides the stretch room he loved it. I had tried bypassing the stretch room in Jan but the CM seemed to have no idea what I was talking about so I didn't even bother this time. I just told DS to hug me tight and close his eyes. Then we had a nice ride. We did get stuck a few times. Nothing too bad. We headed for Adventureland and tried to get DS to ride PoTC but he just wasn't feeling it this trip. We got FP for Jungle Cruise for right before the MSEP would hit Frontierland.

But right now we had a special appointment. I just had to make one stop first at Le Chapeau. On a side note... I am a pediatric nurse. I work at a large medical center with many different types of patients including oncology. We recently started treating a family with a 10 month old little boy with a brain tumor. Prior to my trip he had his tumor removed and had been in and out of the ICU with various complications. The night before my trip I was talking to his mother at his bedside telling her I was going away. She asked where and I told her. She said they had a trip planned for October that they had to cancel because of the baby's treatment. She said they would reschedule when he was better. Now knowing what I know, I know that may not ever come to fruition. I pray that it does but it's part of my job to be realistic. So I decided that night that I would buy my little friend his first pair of Mickey ears. Which I did. I got his name put on and we were all set.

Time for our special appointment. Do you remember my friend the CM that we met up with at Epcot?? The one who is REALLY close friends with Mickey? She was hanging out with Mickey this night and set us up with some pixie dust. We were to go to the exit of Town Square Theater and wait by the Mary Poppins dress. At 845 someone came to get us. He led us into a "CM ONLY" door and we went right through it. He then stopped us and told us to wait there. He had to go see if Mickey was ready for us. So we waited. Then I heard big feet coming our way. The door opened and Mickey's head came around the corner. DS's face lit up!!! Mickey came to get HIM!!! Mickey took his hand and brought him into the photo room where Minnie was waiting enthusiastically. My DS got a little extra love before the group that was waiting Stand By was brought it. I even had Mickey hold the hat that I had just bought so I could give the photo to the family at work. This was one of those magical Disney moments. I couldn't thank my friend enough for setting this up.

We said our Goodbyes and Thank You's to Mickey and Minnie and we were off. DS could not believe that Mickey was waiting for him and came out himslef to get him!! It was great! But now was time for our Jungle Cruise FP. I had heard this ride was better in the dark. It was about the same for me but we had a good driver and she had some new jokes. I'm always up for a ride through the jungle. We now had just enough time to scoot over and see the MSEP come to an end. We were able to stand right at the end of the route where they let people cross over to BTMRR. Nice viewing spot. After the parade ended we headed back through Adventureland to secure a spot for the fireworks. The rain was on and off at this point and DS was in a mood because at some point he stepped in gum and it was now all over his new Crocs. I assured him I would take care of it later but he wasn't happy. AND he didn't want to watch the fireworks. But he did. They were lovely as usual.

We had just one more mission. We had been looking for a shirt for my DF. He loves Mickey Bars and they had a shirt in the Emporium but not in his size. So we were headed to Sir Mickey's to see if they had it. But because it was right after the fireworks we couldn't get through or just around the castle. We had to go all the way around Liberty Square into Fantasyland. I'm happy we did because DS decided last minute that "of course we have to go on IASW". I was thrilled. On our way in to IASW we saw that PP was broken. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier but I have been trying for over 2 years (since DS's 1st trip, this is his 6th) to get him on PP. He just plain refuses. I don't know what he thinks goes on in there but he's just not having it. Not a huge deal for me. I don't see the appeal of people waiting 90 minutes for it but I want him to experience it at some point. When we got off IASW PP had drawn a small crowd. I wondered if it was about to open but the CM was saying they were having problems and they didn't know when it would be fixed. Oh wait it's fixed. "DS let's just go on, there's no line" "OK Mommy" WHAT????? PP FINALLY!!!! We were off. No wait for PP and he LOVED it!!! Not scared at all. Great way to end the trip. By now it was 1055pm WE checked Sir Mickey's, no shirt and we headed back to the hotel. Didn't plan on such a late night with an early morning ME but oh well.

Off to bed and early to rise. 720 ME. Dropped off our luggage at 650am a Resort Airline check-in. No prob, right??? WRONG!!! We went about our day. Got home and there was no luggage. Not mine , not DM. We headed over to SW baggage services to file a claim. They looked it up in their computer. Like I said we left our bags at 650am. At 715am while waiting for ME DS says "Look Mommy there is your suitcase" Sure enough my suitcase was in a cage headed onto the truck and heading out. The computer shows that the bags were not scanned at the airport until 935am!!!!!!! Too late for my 1015am flight! So no bags for us. They would be coming in on the next direct flight at 550pm. Not a huge deal. Could have been worse. And SW gave a a $50 voucher because we picked them up instead of having them delivered. I just like to say that our luggage was having so much fun it stayed in FL 6 hours longer than us.

Up Next: Final Thoughts
9/87- Off-site, 3/02- Off-site, 10/03-Port Orleans Riverside, 4/06- Grand Floridian, 5/10- Port Orleans French Quarter, 9/10- Saratoga Springs (1st trip as DVC Member), 10/10- DCL Wonder, 10/10- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 5/11- Pop Century, 10/11-DCL Magic/ Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village, 1/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, Saratoga Springs 6/12, 10/12- DCL Dream/Villas at Wilderness Lodge, 12/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 4/13- Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village
dapod423 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
dapod423
Mouseketeer

FINAL THOUGHTS

I loved this trip! I loved that it was a last minute surprise. I loved surprising DS with it the morning we left "For really Mommy?" Sure his behavior could have been better but hey, that's something to work on.

As far as the resort, Saratoga Springs is not my favorite. It just doesn't "WOW" me. I did really like the Paddock Pool but had to take a bus and/or walk 15 minutes to get there. The resort is just really too big for me. 5 bus stops before you even leave the property is a bit much. Which brings me to my next point.

I am ready to try renting a car. We are going to give this a whirl on our next trip in October. It's just a 3 night visit prior to our cruise so let's see what happens. Yes I know I will have to get my own luggage but that is OK. I want to see which is better for us. This trip I just felt like we spent a large chunk of time on the bus. I've never felt that way before.

Food was good. This is the first time since 2003 that I didn't have the DDP. Mostly because it was so last minute I didn't think we would be able to get any ADRs. And I have to say that I enjoyed not having to adhere to an eating schedule. I did miss having those snack credits though. I like to use those for a bottle of water here and there. But overall, all of our counterservice meals were good.

So that about wraps it up for this TR. Next trip is Oct 11-14th at VWL followed by a 4night Bahamas cruise on the Dream!!!
9/87- Off-site, 3/02- Off-site, 10/03-Port Orleans Riverside, 4/06- Grand Floridian, 5/10- Port Orleans French Quarter, 9/10- Saratoga Springs (1st trip as DVC Member), 10/10- DCL Wonder, 10/10- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 5/11- Pop Century, 10/11-DCL Magic/ Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village, 1/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, Saratoga Springs 6/12, 10/12- DCL Dream/Villas at Wilderness Lodge, 12/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 4/13- Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Loved your TR! I can so relate to the stretching room in HM as well. My youngest is 9 and fearless but he hates the stretching room too. I think that was a wonderful thing you did for your patient. Gave me the warm fuzzies! I'm a nurse as well, although not on a floor anymore. To me it seems that nurses love WDW. We are so used to being on the go all the time and we still get to go but for a happier reason. Don't you think the same? I can totally spend a day at the pool or beach hanging out but I need something to do. Please do another one for your trip in Oct. I'm about 2 hours away from BLT. Yay!

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
dapod423
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks "SS" View Post
Loved your TR! I can so relate to the stretching room in HM as well. My youngest is 9 and fearless but he hates the stretching room too. I think that was a wonderful thing you did for your patient. Gave me the warm fuzzies! I'm a nurse as well, although not on a floor anymore. To me it seems that nurses love WDW. We are so used to being on the go all the time and we still get to go but for a happier reason. Don't you think the same? I can totally spend a day at the pool or beach hanging out but I need something to do. Please do another one for your trip in Oct. I'm about 2 hours away from BLT. Yay!
I ALWAYS need to be doing something!!! If I'm not I feel kike there must be a call bell going off somewhere

Have a GREAT trip!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
marynvince
DIS Veteran

Great report. I recommend a car. We had a rental for our trip In Feb to the THV and while the bus service is nice, it's just quicker with a car.
marynvince is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: