Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #571
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Joining in !!! Your TR reminds me to never travel with family members. I planned a trip with my sister who would get a military discount. Really just too good of a deal to pass up. And we had a free place to stay for them, but she cancelled about a month before the trip saying she couldn't afford it. But the real truth was, it just wasn't something she wanted to spend her money on. In the end, it turned out to be a good thing. We did take my husband's daughter (my step daughter) with us in 2010 and she was lots of fun and a big help with the kids. Looking forward to reading more .....
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #572
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Wow!! LOVED the rest of your FOTLK pictures!! Also, even though I am not usually impressed with camera phone pictures, yours are great!

Just saying here, I don't normally drink, as I'm diabetic, but at that point....I would have had two!

My grandsons always want to go to Pizzafari. We went there on their first trip, so for them it is now a tradition. If I eat there, I have the Hot Italian Style Sandwich. Well 1/2 any way. That thing is HUGE! Usually though, I am going to Yak and Yeti CS, or FTB and carting stuff back, so we can all eat together.

So sorry for your sister in law, and so happy you are going to have a drama free evening!! Looking forward to more!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #573
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Love the Festival of the Lion King! I love the show and we hardly ever miss it. I must also say.....if you haven't seen Cirque du Soliel....save your money and GO! It's amazing!
FOTLK definitely needs to be on my "must see" list. I neglected it far too long. And I couldn't agree with you more about Cirque. It really is a wonderful experience.

Quote:
Okay, back to the trip report. I am with Michelle, I don't wish throwing up on anybody but I, too, giggled inside but just a little bit.
Just a little bit, huh? I did really feel bad for her but I was also glad that I wasn't around to see it. I never guess that she would get sick on a ride. I thought it might scare her a bit, but not cause her to cookie toss.

M
Quote:
y Mommynoia would have kicked in as well if Nick hadn't answered after the third attempt. Can't say that I blame you for deciding to head back and check on him.
Thank you! Sometimes I think I worry a little bit too much, but that's just how I'm wired. Plus, in a weird sort of way, I wanted to get away from everyone for awhile. Bad, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Your day was not off to a good start! I hope things turned around quickly
Thanks Dawn! The day did not start out perfect, but I rolled with it. Except, I really wanted that sugar cane mojito. Maybe a little too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Oh goodness! I have to say that I'm glad your SIL was able to pull it together & continue on in the park for the sake of the kids.
I know. That was a relief. It would have stunk if EVERYONE left. I guess that's usually what happens when you get sick from a ride versus a real virus. Thank goodness!

Quote:
And that was so nice of bell services to give you a ride to the treehouse! I'm also glad you're son was okay when you got there. I would've done the same thing if my son didn't answer.
Thanks. sometimes I think I worry too much, but in a way, I was ready to get a few moments to myself. I think it was awesome that they took me so quickly. Bam! I was there in no time!

Quote:
Glad to hear the upcoming evening is drama free. You deserve at least one drama free night.
Woo Hoo for a drama free night. I think things started to turn the corner this night. Everyone was happy and seemed to be in the pixie dust spirit. I guess it doesn't make for the best TR reading - people like drama. But it made for a god evening for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Cool and economical! $15 dollars for a tuneup on the 30 year old instrument instead of monthly rent-to-own payments for who knows how long!
That makes it even better. Wow $15 for a tune up. THAT's a bargain. My tune-ups are never that cheap. I had an old flute that I hoped Nick would want to learn to play, but he never did.

Quote:
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
Thank goodness for that!

Quote:
The colors on your FotLK pictures are just brilliant! So beautiful!
Thank you! I really enjoyed taking pics in there.

Quote:
Don't even talk to me about the large group lunch hijack! I think those were the low points of my class trip.
Ugh - I bet that was a real pain. I don't envy that part of your trip, that's for sure.

Quote:
What a lot of turmoil in the morning/afternoon. Sorry to hear that your SIL got sick. But at least they stuck it out. I hope the rest of their stay at AK was better!
The one thing I remember thinking was - this is going to sound good in my TR. I guess once SIL tossed she was all better. Thank goodness.

Quote:
Note to SIL: I would skip Primevil Hurl- I mean Whirl, if I were you!

Quote:
I love that you got a lift back to the treehouse! Who knew???
I know! How great was that? And I really needed that lift. I had no idea how bad until I actually got to the treehouse in 3 minutes. SCORE!

Quote:
Can't wait to hear about your drama-free (and I'm guessing smaller group) night.
Actually, all 9 of us spent the evening together. Shock, I know!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #574
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Had you known that the next few hours would bring, you might have changed your mind!
Actually, it was probably a blessing that I didn't have a drink. Can you imagine if I needed to use the restroom during that ordeal?

Quote:
Isn't there a Sunrise Margarita? which is not to be confused with a Tequila Sunrise.

I don't know! But if there isn't, there should be!

Quote:
Was he non responsive to texts as well. That is my big peeve with the kids...ANSWER me! Kendall is horrible, I foresee a nightmare of a pickup tomorrow as she won't answer either phone or text. Evan is inconsistent. On top of it one minute, MIA the next. Two days ago I went home for lunch just to confirm they were alive...

but given the cold and the need for food...I can see the noia kicking in even more than the noyance.
His phone is always turned down, but I think the calls vibrate more than the texts, so I didn't even try the texts. He is very inconsistent with the phone. It's very annoying and we have had many discussions about that.

Ugh - that is so annoying that you had to go home and check on the. Kids.

Brian pretty much always answers his texts, unless he's asleep.

Quote:
What a roller coaster! Literally. Altogether EE right after eating might not have been a great idea for anyone. Unless SIL and LJ didn't eat?
They did not eat before the coaster and I have no idea whether SIL ate after the coaster. Maybe the empty stomach did her in?

Quote:
UGH! I swear that BB stop makes the bus take FOREVER from AK, even without an internal loop afterwards.
It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO painful. Be prepared and forwarned!

Quote:
I hope you brought 2 beverages to the Grandstand! I am SO happy, I found my mug from our girls trip, it's in my carryon It will be interesting to see if I can avoid buying more for the OKW/Vero portion since we skipped out on the DDP till the end. We will get them then but of course could use them/need them more on the front end.

Not $14 each more though.
I hear ya sister. I have 6 mugs now with the same design because I had 3 from the girl's trip and got 3 this trip. Here's hoping there are no changes before October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore04 View Post
Well I'm finally caught up on your PTR! Your family is keeping me very interested
Glad you are all caught up and glad the family is keeping you entertained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore04 View Post
I HOPE my brother doesn't pull something like your SIL/nephew did just before the parade started. That's one of my fears about their first trip. My bro said he refuses to "wait for 45 minutes or an hour in one spot just for a parade or fireworks" what he doesn't realize is you pass the time by grabbing a snack, sitting on the curb and making friends with the people around you!
I hope that your brother is patient and sticks it out for the parades. I can see not wanting to wait - ok - then just get behind the crowd at the last minute. But at least you get to see it. Having a great spot and leaving before it starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
DH's uncle was a trombone player in Glenn Miller's orchestra. Didn't mean a whole lot to me when I was teen, but I wish now that I could have asked him about it. I love Glenn Miller, but in those days it was all about the British Invasion! Bob plays the alto sax & can play a guitar by ear. Me, well I'm tone deaf when it comes to that sort of thing.
Now that's cool. I can't imagine what it takes to be that good. I admire people who are at the top in terms of their musicianship. I love the alto sax. Great instrument. And, of course, the guitar is near and dear to my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
The last time Bob rode EE, he felt queasy. I guess when one gets older one has a tendancy to be that way. He can't ride SM because of that. Glad your SIL was able to get back on the horse & enjoy the park!

ACK! I would hate to get queasy on rides. That must stink. I have a friend who absolutely can't ride the teacups for exactly that reason. I was so thankful that SIL's cookie toss was a momentary thing. If she really had to leave the park, that would have been terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
I still like my suggestion on Facebook for your "story" about what happened!!
That story was so freakin' funny! Seriously, the most I have laughed all week. If only I could pull it off with a straight face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
I was afraid it was this type of cookie toss but I was hoping for either Nick tossing cookies to you after too many Sugar Cane Mojitos or SIL holding BIL down while you took target practice with rock hard cookies!
Now those are a few really creative ways to do a cookie toss. Unfortunately, that was not the type of cookie toss that we encountered on this vacation.

I really DID want to try one of those sugar cane mojitos. I hope they are still there in October. fingers crossed.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #575
MEK
DIS Veteran

Sorry I haven't gotten to all the replies today. Busy day! I'll be back manana!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #576
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

Got behind. RL stinks sometimes. LOL!

Love the FOTLK pictures. I really want to watch it when we go. I can't wait!!

We will stomach Pizzafari only if DS really wants to eat there. It's definitely not our favorite place to eat at AK. We definitely love Flame Tree. It's one of our faves.

I had to laugh when I read about you SIL getting sick. Not that it's funny, but because that happened to me. Of course I was 15 and did not like roller coasters. To this day I still swear that I lost my lunch for the past three weeks. LOL! It took me years before I would brave another coaster.

Sugar Cane mojito! Sounds yummy!!

Can't wait to read more!!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #577
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Oh no...I guess that was the end of roller coasters for SIL?? That doesn't sound very pleasant at all!
Yup - that was the beginning AND the end of roller coasters for SIL. I felt bad for her. No one wants to ride something for fun and end up sick.

Quote:
I'll admit, I DEFINITELY would have detoured for a mojito!!! Especially with the trip you had been having!!
Every time I see that sign I wished I had gotten that mojito. I went back later in the trip, but I don't really remember seeing the mojito sign again.

Quote:
Glad that Nick was feeling ok when you got back!! Too bad about the pool though
I was quite happy that Nick was feeling better and he was even ready to leave the villa that evening. Yeah!

The Pool - it didn't really start bothering me until the NEXT day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great great great pictures of FOTLK...my favourite show on property! I could spend my entire day at AK watching that show over and over again, however, Shanleigh won't let me!
Wow - let's hope she doesn't let you. There are far too many other great things to see! It really is a great show and I'm so glad you like the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed that you are not going to get the blame of the cookie toss.....
Totally got no blame whatsoever. However, if I had any idea that she got sick on rides, I never would have suggested it. I thought it might scare her a bit, but not make her puke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
First I have join the band geek bandwagon. I have no musical talent but Dh was a band geek through middle and high school and still has his trumpet. Oldest child and only boy was band geek through school he play the sax. He took it further and has his degree in music education and of course marched most of his college years. Middle child, daughter only played in middle school. She played the flute. Youngest is starting 8th grade and also plays the flute. She was tested at the end of the school year and is now in talented music.
That's so great that your son played sax all through college. It takes a lot of dedication. It sounds like both of your girls have the music gene too. Tell your youngest not to stop playing. I really regret the years I didn't play because I can never get them back and I know I would be a better musician if I had stuck with it.

Quote:
Loved your FOTLK pictures. I have never gotten a good picture of the birds. So sorry about your SIL. I have to commend her for carrying on afterwards. I also have to admit that I can only ride EE once a trip now. The older I get the more it bothers me. I think the going backwards is what messes with my equilibrium.
Glad you like the pics. It was hard to photograph some things because of all the movement.

I can't do EE back to back because it makes me dizzy. It's definitely that backwards G force that does it. I do better if I keep my eyes closed in the dark. Maybe I should have told SIL to do that.

Quote:
The mommy monster would have made me go back too. Sorry the ride took so long but I'm glad you got a ride at the end.
I was so grateful for that ride on the golf cart. It was pure heaven. I'm serious. And it was a little VIPish too!

Quote:
I hoping you got that relaxing pool time with a drink.
I did. I really enjoyed my pool time on this trip. It was wonderful! And the adult beverage sure didn't hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Wow...okay...I think you should win sister of the year award for putting up with your brother!!! I mean...has he said thank you yet or Anything nice to you on the trip so far?!?
Blessed with Triplets! Thanks for joining in and giving me award all at the same time. There were times pre trip and during trip that I felt exactly that way. My brother was totally getting on my nerves. But, he eventually did up enjoying himself and that was the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
I have always dreamed of staying in a DVC Vila........it's fun to live it through your TR!
The villas are great. I have stayed in a 2BR at VWL, Kidani, and SSR. I loved each of every stay. Maybe you can rent points for a trip and get your dream. It's a great way to get the experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #578
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
We can go together and I can point him out. Usually within 10 seconds of them coming out I can spot him.
That's a plan. Let's go see your tumble monkey!!!!!!!

Quote:
I have been at shows where he is not there. Even the best of tumble monkeys need a break.
Yes - I am sure that even the best of tumble monkeys need the occasional day to rest and relax.

Quote:
Sorry about the cookie toss. Glad it was not you Nick or even Denny but still no fun.
ACK! So unexpected. I felt really bad for my SIL. No one deserves to get sick on a ride that is supposed to be majorly fun!

Quote:
Mid day I find the busses take FOREVER. After spending a trip driving..... I may do that more often
I love having a car. At first I didn't really mind, but now I think I am getting spoiled. It's much nicer to sit and much nicer not to have to stand near strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Definitely took advantage of Bell Services when I stayed at SSR, and I was only going from the Carriage House to Congress Park sometimes the feet just can't do anymore! I always tipped them though, was that unnecessary? I'm still unclear on the places I should tip and should not, and how much ect...
Gosh! I don't know? I hadn't even thought about it. And even if I had wanted to, it would have taken me forever to get in my sherpa bag. He would be halfway back to SSR before I found my money. My hands were very full. But, you're right - I probably should have tipped. Doh! I was just so happy to be home I stopped thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Oh my on the SiL. Is it wrong for me to worry about the guests around her being grossed out. Poor lady. Glad she was able to continue on. My heart dropped when Denny said they were leaving. Why make the whole group leave if one is sick.
Not wrong at all. In fact, I was kind of wondering how many people saw that. I mean - its pretty hard to clean puke out of the bushes. I'm pretty sure that Denny was grossed out. I could tell by the way he retold the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Not sure how we got onto the topic of band instruments, but I play baritone horn in church a couple of times a year.
Wow Glen -I had no idea. That's pretty cool. Christmas and Easter? Those are the big horn times in the Catholic church. If you ever want to join a marching band, just say the word. $400 Delaware state income tax break if you do 12 events a year. Just sayin' There are events in Newark, New Castle, and Wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yikes, sorry about your SIL. I can see EE being a scary ride, with the backwards section and all, but I've never thought it was one for the easily-queasy to avoid.
I think different rides hit different people in different ways. She is just one of the unfortunate ones who gets "tea cup" sick on EE. Such a bummer. She'll probably never go on another roller coaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh my gosh, how awful! At least she felt good enough to stay in the park(?).
I know, right! Thank goodness for that. I guess as soon as she got it all out of her system, she recovered. That would have stunk if she had to leave. Everyone would have left unless good old Uncle Denny offered to take the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm a little confused, why did the bus have to stop at Blizzard Beach? That seems odd... or is that normal? I have no idea hahaah.
The AK bus makes a stop there. I totally forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
The buses from AK usually stop at BB too.
Yup, What she said!

Quote:
Too bad about your SIL being sick. At least it didn't ruin the whole park day for everyone. I have to agree with some PPs - if only they would have listened to you and utilized your wealth of knowledge - they would have been so much better off! Knowledge is Power right?
I am so glad their park day wasn't ruined. That would have been terrible.

Here's the thing about Disney knowledge. People have to be in the right frame of mind to fully investigate before they go to the parks. They didn't really do that. They didn't think they needed to. I couldn't tell them otherwise. Live and learn.

Quote:
I am one of those who is prone to motion sickness (I don't do spinning rides), and I have been able to manage BTMRR just fine. I've started taking non-drowsy dramamine on days we are doing rides (and cruises) and it's been really helpful. I think I'll take some before I try to conquer Everest just in case! I'm glad to hear people say it's smooth! It's pretty fast too, right? We've been watching videos trying to convince the girls it will be fun. So far they aren't buying in.
It's very smooth and the drop feels fast. Here's the thing - when you get to the drop - close your eyes. When you go backwards - close your eyes. You will get through it fine. That's how I got over my fear of coasters!

Ugh - sorry the girls don't want to go. It really is fun and it's fairly short. Anyone can stand 2 1/2 or 3 minutes of fun and there are only two spots that are scary. The rest is just sitting back and enjoying.

Quote:
Very nice on the getting drinks and a ride from Bell Services.

Ooh, now I'm eager to hear more about the rest of the trip.
I was so lucky to get that ride back. But now I feel bad because it didn't even occur to me to tip. Thanks Pam!

More is coming!

Be back soon with the rest of the replies!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #579
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I am ever so far behind!! I am so sorry. I have decided I will go back and use your chapter links till I am caught up. I am going to comment on each as I go along...

So... (and this is sad how far back in links I had to start with..where has July gone?? )

Prelude to a Meltdown 1

I love eating upstairs at CHH. I think of all the counterservice restaurants, I love the theming of this one the most.

I am so glad you got a group shot. I know that is one of those things that can be a "we will get to it later" and then end up not doing. It is always nice when you do take the time and it ends up being a good thing. Happened to us on our recent DLR trip. I wanted an entry arch pic and everyone told me there was time to get it later. I am glad I got the one I did because even though I though "yeah, I will get a better one later" I never did.

I love the picture of CP!!! What an amazing shot.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #580
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Prelude to a Meltdown 2

Dh tried the lobster roll at CHH in December. I don't think it was that... um... that goopy then. I could be wrong though.

Love the IASM pics. Honestly, I am never bothered by the occasional flash going off. It is a split second. My dh is so anti picture taking on rides that he hates me to snap pictures even with the flash off... I love when he isn't with me so I can get the occasional one with the flash. Pictures like you got are just so worth being a bit naughty for.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #581
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Prelude to a Meltdown 3

about Nick and his phone. What is it about boys that age? My oldest is ALWAYS texting!!!

I hate it when people stop dead in the center of a row when they are suppose to move to the end. Ok... I can understand if it isn't going to be a full theater...and it doesn't take a genius to figure out if it is a packed show. If you can see more people are filtering in behind you... keep moving!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #582
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

The Meltdown! 1

Oh my gosh. I did not read your PTR and I was not aware of all the drama between you and your brother. I made me so very very sad. I can relate. I have, I fear, become a sort of joke to my inlaws. Sil and Bil have never taken their kids to Disney. They both live on the other side of the state from us...and I believe the "biggest" vacation they have taken the kids on is to travel to our area (where of course they don't tell us to until after the fact and so we don't see them) My dh isn't quite into Disney like I am..but when pushed to answer just how much "into it" he is... his answer is usually, a "well, I can't hate it...look how many times I have let you talk me into going" Both dh and I have suggested to them Disney and they laugh and kinda poke fun. I know behind my back they scoff and me and my trips. (I do go without dh on occasion) Dh and I though... we feel that before they know it those kids of theirs will be grown and gone. So... I have the feeling like I and my favorite place are this joke to them... but I also feel sad that while they joke (I think they too use the "Disney koolaid" reference) they really are missing out and more importantly...so are their kids.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #583
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

The Meltdown! 2

I guess I don't understand why he was blaming you for the weather? Why was he so angry with everyone "trusting Disney" to keep them safe from the storm? Not that I think most of us Disney people trust that Disney will keep us safe... but what if we did? What did he care? It isn't like he was told he had to just trust in Disney. (which...is kinda an absurd thought)

I am glad they got back to their car ok though... I imagine that could have caused even more problems had they not.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #584
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Transportation Mojo.....or Not? 1

Oh I hate it when bus mishaps happen. An hour and 12 minutes to MK?

Love the eyeore pics!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #585
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Transportation Mojo.....or Not? 2

$225 for all of you for breakfast... not too shabby. We paid not a lot less for 4 adults and one child at Goofy's Kitchen recently in DL. I can see where having the TIW card saved you a bit of money.

That is quite the line for the People mover!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: