Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #1846
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Nice evening.

I need a longer stay at AKl. Last time by the time I got teh "lay of the land" it was time to go and needless to say not feeling well did not help.

Looks like Denny may have caught you off guard at AK with the photo.

Wonder where you went next?
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #1847
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Such pretty pics of AKV and the animals!! Kidani is really nice - I think I'd try for that next time I stay at AKV.
Your dinners at Sanaa look good - wonder if I can convince my family to try it. It's a bit exotic for them...

I was another one who thought I would not want to stay at AKL the first time I went to see it. Then we stayed one night and now we own points there and have stayed 3 times!!

Sparks, huh??? I'll keep it clean and go with fireworks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1848
amazingact21
Upendi

Always enjoy reading updates on things I've yet to experience, so yours was doubly fun to read tonight. I've never seen Nemo, AKL, or Sanaa. With FotLK's fate unknown, I might have to actually see Nemo one of these days, your picture of it looks nice and cool.

All your dinner pictures looked delicious. Especially the mango chutney!

Glad to hear your brother is excited about the upcoming trip. And I agree, the Fantasmic dinner package is the way to with a bunch of kids. Plus, eliminating all that time standing around can be nice.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #1849
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
With FotLK's fate unknown....
Apparently in January 2013, FotLK and Camp Minnie-Mickey will close to make way for Avatar construction. Both FotLK and CM-M will move to a new theater area in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom. The re-opening date of FotLK and CM-M has not been released.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #1850
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I am glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving at your Brother's and I had to pick myself up off the floor when I heard how much he wants to go back to Disney... It's a early holiday miracle... or extra pixie dust....

BTW... the shirt you are wearing in the photo Denny took of you where you are not smiling is quite pretty...

I love Sanaa... In addition to just enjoying going into Kidani... & the restaurant itself being so attractive... the food is really good... and its' a nice change of pace... with there being so many veggie dishes and the chickpeas and lentils and things... it somehow feels a little healthier than many of the other restaurants... not puritanical healthy by any means... just mixing it up a bit...

I'm really glad you had a great dinner...

YOU do know I REALLY am going to have to look for those chairs next week now... don't you...?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #1851
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So, I take it that Joe is not a big fan of the clown pool? It really isn't creepy at all when you are on the pool deck and all the other pools are so close that you can pool hop without breaking a sweat!

He is so not a fan of clowns at all. I used to collect mardi gras masks when I was single, and that collection was the first to go when we got together.

That's what some one else said. That's pretty cool. I did not know that about the elephant. Now if I could just find the origins of the creepy chair.

You are lucky that you can upload pictures like that into a screen saver. I wish I could. I would love to see my happy place every time I log on.

I have quite a collection of photos from past trips and a few goodies from the Disney Blog. It definitely helps to have a mental escape!

It was and judging by the look of those pies you baked, yours was too!
mmmm cherry pie. it was so yummy. I never bake cherry pies because I just love them, and its too tempting. But my father in law put in a request, so how could I say not? I gave him a quarter to take home, but still managed to finish the last piece tonight.

Thanksgiving at your brother's sounds great, I am imagining a lot of the dinner conversation revolved around the next Disney trip -- always a favorite topic at our table!

to almost losing your October photos! Time to get an external Hard drive to store all your photos on. but the MacBook sounds great. We just got a new one for my FIL this past fall, his 2002 iBook finally kicked in a huge way. he loves his new MacBook -- he underuses it but the Mac's are so much easier to learn to use for people who have not used computers before. Enjoy!!

Love the Nemo show too, though we haven't seen it inthe past two visits. Time to see it again.
Quote:
have also promised myself that we will actually leave the Disney bubble for dinner one night, so I am thinking Celebration.

Does Celebration really count as outside the Disney bubble?

How were the african wines? I don't think I have tried any before, and am curious if they are very dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
I know that elephant, too! It's Lucy the Elephant. I don't know if she had any damage from Sandy but I do know she was struck by lightning recently and had some damage they were repairing..

Thanks for the elephant update! I did a Google Search and Lucy survived Sandy http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...ved-sandy?lite
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #1852
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

add me to the love Finding Nemo the musical fan club! I am so sad I didn't have time to see it on the last trip. And in February we won't be going to AK...so it will have to wait until next fall.

Kidani and Sanaa were a highlight for us last December (oh my... that was almost a year ago!!!) The food was super yummy and the bread sampler A - Mazing!!! Great.. now I have to rethink my ADRs for February...
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #1853
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

What a lovely evening. You made me quite sad I won't be at my beloved AKV this next trip. I've been really excited to see OKW and now you've gone and made me home sick. Boy I'm wishy washy

I'm so glad you didn't delete your photos!

How cute is that that your brother is excited to go back I hope you reminded hime that he gave you such a hard time for so long.

When I saw that chair at the beginning of this post I thought, oh no, not again!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #1854
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great AKL pictures! I really need to stay there someday! I love taking pictures of that resort too, it's just so beautiful!

Sanaa looks interesting, a lot of people love it, but I don't think I could ever go there! I'm such a picky eater, I just don't think I'd find anything I would like there! I mean, if Brandon ever really wanted to go, I suppose I'd have to give it a try, but luckily for me, he's not really interested either (or maybe he just doesn't know it exists! ) I wish I liked exotic food, but I just don't!

I started my new TR, stop by when you have a minute!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #1855
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Had so much fun catching up on your adventures this morning! I can't tell you how excited I am that your brother has been bitten by the Disney bug. What a great gift you gave him & his family!!

I have never tried Sanaa... that may be going on the "to do" list for the next trip!

I have heard the cottages mentioned but never thought to go look for them. Definitely a hidden treasure. I agree, I would like to be a permanent resident there. Adorable!!!

Those chairs are Creepy! When I stayed there in May my room was just around the corner from the lobby and I had visions of them creeping about! This is posted above one of the chairs (terrible picture but hopefully you can still read most of it):

Still creepy if you ask me......

Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #1856
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Keeping' up!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #1857
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I am FINALLY caught up. Wow! Over 10 pages behind....but I did the cheat method of reading and skipped all the replies.
I do not consider that a cheat at all. I consider it a necessary way to keep up with TRs. If I couldn't cheat I would never be caught up.

Quote:
I am really loving your pictures. You really got some great shots.
I love the purple safari pics. We had giraffes crossing a lot when we went on it too.
Thank you! You know that means a lot coming from you because I love all your pics. It's so cool that the giraffes have gotten so friendly that they are walking all over the paths.

Quote:
I have seen those cottages at BWV. I am pretty sure they are DVC. When i first came to Dis, and I was looking at the resort picture thread, those were the first pics I saw of Boardwalk, so for a long time I thought the whole resort was like that. Since then I have kind of forgteen about them. I bet they are wonderful. I didn't take the time out to watch the video you posted. Maybe when I get caught up on Dis I will go back do that.
Just book mark it - you never know when you might want to send it to a client. It really sums up the room nicely. I love those cottages. I would love to stay there. No question.

Quote:
]Seeing your AKL pictures makes me want to hurry up and go edit mine. It was really pretty there.
I always think the same thing. I have all of October to edit. Actually, I did edit the first night which was only 90 pictures. Let's see - I have like 2000 more to go. Awesome!

Quote:
I took a nap this trip too. It was too a point that we just needed to get at least 1/2 hour of extra sleep. Claire did not want to, but within seconds she was snoring.
I actually have that feeling right now. I was up late and then up early for the last two nights. I am going to do a few replies and then go catch some zzzZZZZZZ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Beautiful pics of AKL! I just have to visit that resort one day. I always say that, but we have never been to check it out. It looks so gorgeous in pictures, I can only imagine how it will look in person! Sounds like a great last dinner! And yay for brother being excited about Disney!
AKL is much prettier in person. It really is the most diversely themed of all the resorts. It's the most immersive, IMHO. Definitely worth going to check out on one of your trips. It's especially pretty at Christmas, but what resort isn't?

I am very happy that my brother and the kids are excited to go back and now they have a better focus on what they want to see and do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love the Nemo show at AK and we skipped both shows this past trip.
Well, you have your surprise trip just days a way, so I say - go for it!

Quote:
Your pictures of AKL are making me question whether I want to go there for our 30th anniversary next year or just wait and go in 2014 with the kids. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I do love my giraffes though.
Every time I see pics of AKL I want to stay there again. It's the experience thing for me. Everything just comes together so seamlessly. Yeah - that's a hard decision - 2013 or wait. Bottom line - no matter what you decide, you know you will be happy because there really isn't a bad choice.

Quote:
I think you are the very first person I have ever heard say that they liked Holllywood & Vine; we tried it twice...and should have stopped after the first visit.
Really? Too bad. I can't say I was in love it with, but it served the purpose for the F! package. I't nothing to write home about, but getting sick would definitely make me change my tune.

Quote:
I can't believe your brother is excited for another trip. Is this the same brother you went with this past summer?
Yup, same one! Who would have ever seen that coming? Seriously, when I think back to how adamant he was about NOT going, its hards to believe he has done such a 180. Good stuff for sure!

Quote:
I'm hoping one of those DIS meets will be us.
You know it sista! I wasn't sure whether you trip was official, so I left you name out. I am also hoping that DawnBu will be there at the time, but her trip is still in the unofficial stage.

Anyway, I am beyond thrilled to be meeting up with you, Mary, and the girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm a fan of Finding Nemo the Musical too!
Isn't it great? I could see that musical every trip and never get bored. It's the fastest 35 minutes ever! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
All your AKL pictures are awesome! The food looks really interesting!
Thank you and I definitely recommend Sanaa, if you ever get the chance. The food is creative and tasty and the CM's customer service is beyond good. And the ambiance - perfect!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #1858
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Those photos of Sanaa are mouthwatering! It's my favorite restuarant on property, so I'm always happy to hear that other people enjoy it as well.

You had some great luck with the animals! I love AKL and can't wait to stay there again, maybe when the kids are older and we don't need to deal with strollers on the busses!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #1859
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Now that I am over my intial panic that you deleted your memory card... I can continue. Phew!

Quote:

WOW!!! What a gorgeous picture! Love it.

(And the others are pretty darn great, too)

Dinner and a Show, not necessarily in that order.

I have only seen the Finding Nemo show once, but it was visually stunning!

Haven't tried Saana, but I keep reading positive reviews. Loved all your pictures and descriptions of your meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
BTW... the shirt you are wearing in the photo Denny took of you where you are not smiling is quite pretty...
I agree
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #1860
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know that elephant, too! It's Lucy the Elephant. I don't know if she had any damage from Sandy but I do know she was struck by lightning recently and had some damage they were repairing..
Poor Lucy! Hit by lightening. I am so glad you guys told me about Lucy. I feel like I should have known about her, but I didn't.

Quote:
I am just getting caught up, going back to read your latest updates...
This has been a tough weekend to keep up with DIS. I was pretty busy the last two days and know I am pretty far behind myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Nice evening.
It really was a great way to spend our last evening in the world.

Quote:
I need a longer stay at AKl. Last time by the time I got teh "lay of the land" it was time to go and needless to say not feeling well did not help.
That's no way to visit a resort. I feel like I need a good 3 days to really enjoy a resort. And by that I mean 3 plus days and 3 nights, not a late arrival and early departure. I am due for a repeat visit to AKL.

Quote:
Looks like Denny may have caught you off guard at AK with the photo.
Actually, I asked him to take it but I think I was getting frustrated because he couldn't figure out how to use my phone even though I had it completely set up for him.

Quote:
Wonder where you went next?
Let's just say that its someplace you have been before and your pictures are better than mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Such pretty pics of AKV and the animals!! Kidani is really nice - I think I'd try for that next time I stay at AKV.
Your dinners at Sanaa look good - wonder if I can convince my family to try it. It's a bit exotic for them...
Kidani does have really nice viewing areas and walking through the halls is so nice as well.

Sanaa is really yummy. The bread service is pretty safe and so yummy. I know they have a sustainable fish which is also really good (had it my last visit). I am sure they can find something they would like and I bet the CMs are great at helping select entrees.

Quote:
I was another one who thought I would not want to stay at AKL the first time I went to see it. Then we stayed one night and now we own points there and have stayed 3 times!!
I wanted points there, but I couldn't find an add on. I even toyed with buying points from Disney, but ultimately purchased at VWL. That's OK. I'll be back!

Quote:
Sparks, huh??? I'll keep it clean and go with fireworks!

Quote:
Always enjoy reading updates on things I've yet to experience, so yours was doubly fun to read tonight. I've never seen Nemo, AKL, or Sanaa. With FotLK's fate unknown, I might have to actually see Nemo one of these days, your picture of it looks nice and cool.
Oh Nemo is so wonderful. I really recommend it. And AKL is a great place to visit. All the restaurants there are wonderful. Definitely put that on yoru Disney bucket list too!

Quote:
All your dinner pictures looked delicious. Especially the mango chutney!
The chutney was really good. That was probably my fav. I am shocked I remembered the name, so you know it had to be good. All the food was great.

Quote:
Glad to hear your brother is excited about the upcoming trip. And I agree, the Fantasmic dinner package is the way to with a bunch of kids. Plus, eliminating all that time standing around can be nice.
I can't imagine standing in line with those 4 kids. No thank you! I am going to make the reservation. We can always cancel if we change our minds and the kids may like H&V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Apparently in January 2013, FotLK and Camp Minnie-Mickey will close to make way for Avatar construction. Both FotLK and CM-M will move to a new theater area in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom. The re-opening date of FotLK and CM-M has not been released.
So Avatar is going to be a reality? Cool! I have heard some debates about that, but personally I think it will be a cool area and a great addition to the park. Thanks for that update!

Quote:
I am glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving at your Brother's and I had to pick myself up off the floor when I heard how much he wants to go back to Disney... It's a early holiday miracle... or extra pixie dust....
When he sent me the first email that said they wanted to go back my jaw almost dropped to me feet. I was SO shocked. But, yeah, the pixie dust did its job and they are really looking forward to their next trip and now they should attack it with more purpose.

Quote:
Thanks! I figured out that I was frowning at Denny because it was taking him SO long to take the picture. I had my cell phone all set and still he just stood there looking at my phone. I finally lost my smile.

Quote:
I love Sanaa... In addition to just enjoying going into Kidani... & the restaurant itself being so attractive... the food is really good... and its' a nice change of pace... with there being so many veggie dishes and the chickpeas and lentils and things... it somehow feels a little healthier than many of the other restaurants... not puritanical healthy by any means... just mixing it up a bit...
I agree - I am a big fan of lentils and chickpeas and salads and dips. It really did feel a bit healthier than some of the other meals I have had. I just think the quality of the food is good and the customer service is really excellent. I highly recommend it.

Quote:
I'm really glad you had a great dinner...
We really did! Very nice and relaxing.

Quote:
YOU do know I REALLY am going to have to look for those chairs next week now... don't you...?

You know you are going to be cracking up and no one is going to know what the heck you are laughing at.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: