Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #1801
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Getting caught up! I love your safari pics, even if some were purple! I always try to take a picture of the safari truck in the mirror now, all because of your TR's, it's such a cool shot!
I do remember you taking that shot and, if my memory serves me correctly, your pictures turned out better than mine. Ugh - that purple filter. Never again except at the beach!

Quote:
Yum, Boma! I'm not sure why we never thought of going to AK for a while, then leaving to go to Boma, we usually do it the other way around! Might have to give that a try next time!
I am a big fan of late breakfast because I am never hungry when I first get up. But give me a couple hours and I'm starved and its too early for lunch. This worked out great because we practically had the whole restaurant to ourselves.

Quote:
Ahhh, the Boardwalk, so beautiful! I can't believe you didn't know about those cottages! Aren't they so cute? I could totally live in one.
I had no idea those cottages existed. Shame on me! They are absolutely precious and I would kill to stay there. So cute!

Quote:
I love all of the decorations at the Boardwalk, all the little details are so perfect! That and AKL are my top choices for my next trip with Brandon, whenever that will be, and I'm leaning more towards the Boardwalk, I just really love the atmosphere there! Although I love AKL too...but we drove from there back to POR one day and I swear, the drive was like 3 hours long!

3 hours long Yeah - AKL is off the beaten track. Try driving from there to DTD. Even worse, but not by much.

Well, I am officially in love with the Boardwalk and I hoping to be able to stay there again next October. It worked out perfect for F&W. Just perfect. I actually liked it better than BCV, which I didn't think was possible.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #1802
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I can totally understand needing a nap after brunch at Boma, the food is so yummy it would be tough not to eat yourself into a food coma!
I totally ate and drank enough jungle juice for a major food coma. But OH So Good! I am glad we tried breakfast there. The food was great and it was fun having the whole restaurant practically to ourselves.

Quote:
Good call switching out R&C for Sanaa, it gives you more AK time (which if you ask me there is never enough AK time) and it is delicious!
I have dissed on my R&C ADR so many times now. I am promising myself now that I am definitely going there next October. No changes allowed!

Sanaa was wonderful. I love that restaurant. It was my second time eating there and its just a great dinner choice. Everything clicks.

Quote:
I love the sea turtle license plate, I actually have one! It was a tough choice when I moved to FL between manatees and sea turtles, but sea turtles won. I'm glad that I'm able to maintain my residency (thanks to the military), because Florida has the very best specialty plates, I'd miss my sea turtle friend!
That would be a tough choice, but that license plate is so cool. Obviously I must have thought so at the time in order for me to take the picture. Now that I have read more about sea turtles on the two threads I am subbed to, I am even happier I grabbed that shot.

Quote:
Those cottages are lovely! I'd heard of their existence, but I had never seen them before. I agree with everyone else, sign me up to live there!
Well, you are ahead of me. I can't believe I had never heard of them before. They are lovely and just so magical.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #1803
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
That chair is pretty much what nightmares are made of!!!! Remind me to watch where I sit if I'm ever in the Boardwalk lobby!!!
Seriously, when they disappeared one afternoon in October and then reappeared later that night - insert scary music - I was just a little disturbed. Especially since Cynthia and left and I was alone.

Quote:
On the flip side, those cottages are absolutely adorable! I would totally be your neighbor there!
They are awesome. I think I would have a hard time even leaving and going to the parks. Well, maybe not that hard of a time. But I would surely be taking a lot of park breaks.

Quote:
I've never been inside the Belle Vue Lounge, but my future FIL always talks about how he loves it there! (The Boardwalk is his favorite resort.) The decorations are pretty cool!
It is probably the coolest lounge of any of the resorts, particularly if you have any connection to the Jersey shore circ Steel Pier. It's just very nostalgic. I have to say I agree with your future FIL!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #1804
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Holy photo overload Batman!

I have to admit, I knew nothing of the cottages at the Boardwalk. Amazing that we can still discover new things about the World even after being on the boards for so many years!

I agree with you on the creepy chair--looks like something you'd use to punish your kids (or scar them for life). Maybe to punish somebody else's kids.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #1805
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'd never heard of the cottage either but I am with you and everybody else, I want one pleeeeeeze! Gorgeous pictures as always although I could have lived without the creepy chairs. If those really were time-out chairs, I bet kids would be much more well behaved. Who wants time-out in one of those creepy looking things?

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #1806
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I think I'd seen somebody mention those cottages on the DIS once before, but I'd forgotten about them. Now I'm going to have to go see what point classification they fall under...Judy would love to stay there, I'm sure.

Wow, that Eddie Cantor game looks almost as creepy as the chair! Which, by the way, I love your "one heck of a timeout chair" comment!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #1807
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
The Boardwalk is my second favorite resort. I just love all of the decorative touches in the place. That elephant is a model of an actual building that no longer exists. It was built in late 19th or early 20th century.
The Boardwalk is so wonderful. I had no idea that elephant was a replica of an actual building. I always say "you learn something new on the DIS every day."

Quote:
I,too love blue & white china. My sister has a whole set of china that matches the blue onion plate in your photo.
Nice! I love that patten. It's subtle and soothing.

Quote:
I received my Mickey thank you card about two weeks ago. I received one after our 2011 trip also. Love those cards! The girl chair is the creepiest thing, I couldn't imagine sleeping in a house with that chair in it!
I don't remember getting that card from last year's trip. Oh well.

Can you imagine being home alone in a house with that chair? Especially if someone tried to freak you out and move it around at night. I would die. It was really creeping me out of my Oct trip because the chairs were gone during the day, but they returned at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
How do I book that Cottage???? WOW! They are so cute! I'm pretty sure I can't afford it - but Wow!
That's what I want to know. I would love to be able to book one of those with points because I KNOW I can't afford it. Those cottages are way cool. Coolest room ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I love all your Boardwalk pictures -except for creepy chair. I'd be fine if I never saw that again.
Yeah - me too! I wonder where the heck they got those chairs. I know some people really love folk art, but they are a little, no a lot, over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I too want to live in one of those cottages right now for the rest of my life. I never heard about them before. Although the BW on a whole does not appeal to me, the resort itself is quite beautiful. And that chair...it scares me as much as that clown pool.
I am glad I am not the only one who has never heard of them. They are so super cool. I could definitely be happy there for quite a long time.

I am going through a phase where I absolutely love the BW. Now that I have stayed there twice I have really fallen in love with the place. Shockingly, the clown pool was not nearly as creepy while sitting on the pool deck. The chair, however, is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Gorgeous pictures again and I agree with a previous poster...you could publish or sell your pictures.
That is so nice. Thank you. It's a lovely compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Oh! Purple Filter! I was afraid I was having a flashback or something!
Oh No She Didn't! Oh Yes She Did! Too funny.

Quote:
I really like the purple alligator. But I'm glad you realized the filter was on in time to not take a picture of the male lion! The picture of the rhino is really nice.
It took me awhile. I kept looking at my pics and thinking "these don't look right" Doh! It took me awhile to actually figure out WHY they didn't look good.

Quote:
Great closeup shots. Like Glenn, I love the beaded necklaces. In the closeup of the lamp you can see the animal stencil, I don't think I would ever notice or look for it if you hadn't posted the picture. And the rug- or tapestry- at AKL. The colors are gorgeous!
I like those beads, too.

There are so many things to take pictures of at AKL and at the AK park. I feel like the options are limitless!

Quote:
Mmmm... Boma! Love breakfast there, but I think dinner at Boma is my favorite in the World (haven't tried any signatures). Looking forward to hearing about Saana, though.
I really need to do another Boma dinner. But I just couldn't resist the urge to try Sanaa. The last time I was there I couldn't drink and this time there was a wine flight calling my name.

Quote:
Going back to read your Hidden Gem post now.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #1808
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
They MOVED those chairs in October. I didn't notice them in the lobby after I walked Cynthia to ME. And I thought nothing about until they were there when I returned from MK at 11pm. I was so freaked out that they had disappeared and then returned, as if on their own accord. Insert twilight zone music here.

When I saw them they were not up against the wall. Maybe I caught them trying to escape.

Quote:
Insert maniacal laugh here.
Maniacle laugh maniacal laugh

Quote:
Well, I am officially in love with the Boardwalk and I hoping to be able to stay there again next October. It worked out perfect for F&W. Just perfect. I actually liked it better than BCV, which I didn't think was possible.

Oh My--- I am waitilisted for BW in May and I may try to get it for F&W 2013.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #1809
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

The ducks were cute.
I enjoyed front row on EE when I did it but it felt like it went upside down to me when we went backwards.
You got some amazing pics there.
LOL, it is like a Barney Safari.
The kid on the tour is hysterical. I would love to do that someday.
Drooling naps are the best.
We have 2 of those mailings. They are on the fridge. LOL
I agree that chair is creepy.
I would love to stay in the cottage. The video makes me jealous I am not rich. LOL
That pool looked so relaxing. I love when quiet pools are quiet.
Boardwalk looks so gorgeous. We are thinking of next year going there. Hope it works and we can.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1810
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the prolonged absence. Don't really know why... but it is what it is. So, I'm back on page forty-four of this thing and you're about to do the Great Movie Ride. I have to say I had almost forgotten how absolutely, capital A amazing your pictures are. Seriously. They are. Got to try the Turtle Krawl while at OKW in October; so delicious!

And as far as thrill rides go... its the weirdest thing. I cannot ride them outside of Disneyworld. No lie. I've tried at Six Flags and gotten ill and just felt like I was about to be thrown from my seat; not at Disney. Not ever. While I can't ride EE several times back to back without feeling a little head-achey, I never get sick.

Love your ToT pictures. That's one thrill I've lived without thus far so I can only live vicariously through other people's pictures. Maybe I'll get Max on it in December?
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #1811
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love love love the pictures of the quiet pool at night.
Thanks. I love that quiet pool. Why? Because it really is super quiet. It's hard to believe you are in the middle of a big resort when you are back there.

Quote:
The cottages are so cute and quaint. Beautiful and tranquil. Thanks for sharing. I never knew about them before now.
Again, I am glad I am not the only one who didn't know of their existence. Aren't they awesome?

Quote:
Not a fan of the creepy chair!
Is anyone? Does the BWI know how many people hate that chair? I wonder what the CMs think about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Right now I am scheduled to leave on the 22nd. I synched up with Rosie's trip next year. I can't go any later because we have a Halloween event at work on the 25th.
I have a feeling I am going to miss a bunch of people next year, but we really wanted to do the cruise on Denny's Bday (the 31st) and I wanted some Disney time before and after the cruise. It just seems like the right thing to do. Bummer. We get there on the 24th.

Quote:
Hope you don't mind I chimed in above.
Not in the least! I feel the same way you do about the treadmill. I always feel like I am holding on the front of it for dear life. If not, I fear I will go flying off the back.

Quote:
Oh Yes the Creepy chairs. They have names and I have pictures of the back of the chairs. PAUL and TODD I can post once I upload those pictures....
Wait? The chairs actually have names? Really? Can't wait to see your pictures. Cool.

Quote:
I sat at that very table years ago when we stayed there. We would have breakfast there every morning. Just a cold continential set up but our room was just down the hall and other options were limited.
I noticed they served continental breakfast there. What a lovely place to sit in the morning. I just love that area!

Quote:
Belle Vue and those cottages make me hope that my wait list for BW comes through for May.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I bet it will!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #1812
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We had the funniest flight crew EVER. We had Captain Mark as our pilot. Assistant captain Mark, Flight attendant Marc, and flight attendant Markie Mark. These guys were a freakin' hoot. They were laugh out loud funny. Markie Mark was doing a little dance while he was showing us how to activate the emergency vest. His comment was "If you have two chlldren and the oxygen mask falls out of the ceiling, pick the kid with the most potential". Too freaking funny.

OMG, I just laughed really loud at work I have twins and that just cracked me up
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #1813
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
First thanks for the running info Mary Ellen (... and Pat too... I need all the help/info I can get... I've been mostly treadmilling and I do do little intervals...Em taught me about them... I'm thinking I'm going to see if I can get any good deals on running shoes this weekend... with Black Friday and all of that...
Treadmill is a great way to start. The advantage that it has (which I forgot to mention) is that it elminates the wind factor. When you do go outside in the winter/falll you will notice that the wind drains you. But that's why I think its good to do a combo of both types of running. If you never run outside you will hate it. So in the spring you should get yourself out there, especially if you have a convenient place to run around your home. I have lots of options because its more on the rural side where I live.

Quote:
I think maybe for my first time I'll try to hit one of the independent athletic shoe stores to get fitted properly and then when I know what I need... I can hit Kohls...
I think that's an excellent idea. Lady Foot Locker should know what they are doing, but then again - maybe not. I have never shopped one. I use this place called Vernon Powell, but they are in Rehoboth.

Quote:
Secondly... OMG the chairs are killer creepy... like horror film creepy... Steven King creepy... and now I'm going to have to look for them when I'm there...
They aren't hard to miss. Unless, they take them in during the day like when I was there in October. That freaked me out a bit - gone during the day, back at night. .....shiver.....

Quote:
I absolutely love that cottage... It's like this little hidden gem that probably 99% of guests never notice... I'd love to stay in one of those someday...
So would I. How absolutely perfect would they be for a couples trip? Bliss!

Quote:
Great Photos of the Boardwalk common areas... I've always liked the BellVue Lounge... and all of that early turn of the century (20th) Atlantic City memorabilia... The Jersey Shore back in the day...I have old photos of Eric's greatgrandparents on the Atlantic City Boardwalk totally dressed up to take their evening stroll...
I love that Jersey shore stuff because my grandparents lived in South Jersey and I would spend a week with them every summer. Our big outing was a trip to AC where we would go to the Steel Pier. So the Boardwalk conjures up all sorts of good memories for me.

Quote:
I like Blue and White China too... & apparently so did Walt and Lillian Disney... they collected it when they traveled especially in Europe... and not just really $$ but at all different price points... that's the reason the Lillian Tribute Fountain at the Disney Symphony Hall in LA is the shape of a rose (her favorite flower) all tiled in broken pieces of blue and white porcelain... because the two of them collected it together... You would love it... very pretty...
OMG - I would love it and I can't wait unitl I can start planning my west coast trip. But, unfortunately, it will not be until fall of 2014. If we use our APs starting in June of 2013 and again in October 2013, then I want to use them one more time in the spring of 2014. Once they are used up we are going west!

Quote:
Great update...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Oh my goodness!!! those cottages are amazing. Course...after I watched the video I had to look at the cost per night Wait... let me restate that... the cost per night

So for fear of fainting again... yes.. well outside my budget.
Too funny! I have a friend who likes to use the comment "that's for the rich". I think her comment holds true in this situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
COTTAGE SUITE? What?! Seriously, did anyone know about these? Are they available for renting (CHEAPLY)?!?!?!
I surely did not know about them. 17 trips to Disney before I discovered them. Really? And while they may be available for renting, cheap is not the right adjective to describe their price per night.

Quote:
I'm just loving all these Boardwalk pictures! One of my top 'dream' resorts, definitely!
BWI was the last east coast DVC resort I stayed in and I do think its my current favorite. There is just so much to love about it. I really didn't think I would like it more than the BC, but I do. Perhaps because it has such variety.

Quote:
Those chairs are actually terrifying me right now... I just can't look!
That last picture actually startled me a bit, too!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #1814
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhst25 View Post
I loved the video of the cottage suites! They are gorgeous-- but sadly WAY outside my price zone!
Tell me about, but a girl can dream, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Oh yes....those sweet little cottages! I've looked at so many pictures of them on the internet. That will be the closest I ever get to staying in one of those. They would make a perfect retirement home, right?!?
Absolutely. Now there's a great idea! I think I'll tell Denny that we should retire to the Boardwalk cottages. Hmmmm - I wonder if he'll go for that? If we sell our house, how many nights will that be?

Quote:
I am loving all of your Boardwalk pictures! You are reconfirming my desire to stay at that resort. Well....except for the creepy chairs! Those make me want to run far, far away!
If you get a chance to stay there, you really should. In fact, didn't you just mention on your TR that you were thinking about staying there? It's awesome. You'll love it. Just don't go near the chairs.

Quote:
Glad y'all were able to get in some nice, quiet pool time!
That quiet pool was awesome. One of my favorite on property. I love pool time. It really rejuvinates me!

Quote:
I haven't actually gone there yet but all of the pictures just look so pretty. Ed has always told me he has no desire to stay there. However, he made a deal with me towards the end of our trip last month. Since he despises AK, he told me that he would stay at AKL if I wouldn't make him go to the park. Who knows.....maybe we'll be able to trade into the Villas @ AKL through RCI for our trip next October!
AKL is another resort I actually love. The first time I toured it I thought it was too dar, but now I think its fab. AKL and BWV are two of my favorite resorts. I really hope you RCI waitlist comes through for something you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Holy photo overload Batman!
I know. I think I went a little crazy on the pics. I took them at night and then went back and took them all over again during the day. Go figure!

Quote:
I have to admit, I knew nothing of the cottages at the Boardwalk. Amazing that we can still discover new things about the World even after being on the boards for so many years!
So that makes four of us who did not know of the cottages existence. Sounds like a lot of DISers knew they were there, but not what they looked like.

Quote:
I agree with you on the creepy chair--looks like something you'd use to punish your kids (or scar them for life). Maybe to punish somebody else's kids.
Can you imagine if a school or day care tried to use that for a time out chair. WOW! They'd probably get shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'd never heard of the cottage either but I am with you and everybody else, I want one pleeeeeeze!
And Thank You! Can you even imagine? They should do a contest - win a night in a Boardwalk cottage. I might even want that over a castle stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Gorgeous pictures as always although I could have lived without the creepy chairs. If those really were time-out chairs, I bet kids would be much more well behaved. Who wants time-out in one of those creepy looking things?
Yeah - those chairs could definitely scare a child into being more cooperative, but I think the use of them may border on child abuse.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #1815
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

I am very late to this party, but I just came back to the board. Great report! We have thought about doing a family trip at the treehouse villas, so I'm glad I got to read about your experiences.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: