Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1786
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Oh! Purple Filter! I was afraid I was having a flashback or something!

I really like the purple alligator. But I'm glad you realized the filter was on in time to not take a picture of the male lion! The picture of the rhino is really nice.

Great closeup shots. Like Glenn, I love the beaded necklaces. In the closeup of the lamp you can see the animal stencil, I don't think I would ever notice or look for it if you hadn't posted the picture. And the rug- or tapestry- at AKL. The colors are gorgeous!

Mmmm... Boma! Love breakfast there, but I think dinner at Boma is my favorite in the World (haven't tried any signatures). Looking forward to hearing about Saana, though.

Going back to read your Hidden Gem post now.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1787
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Love love love the pictures of the quiet pool at night.

The cottages are so cute and quaint. Beautiful and tranquil. Thanks for sharing. I never knew about them before now.

Not a fan of the creepy chair!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1788
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Nice! Well, if you have already booked for F&W then I guess I am going to miss you. Boo. We are not going to arrive until the end of October - 10/23. Going to book VWL this week and then hopefully change it over to BWV again. That was awesome! Wish I could go for F&G in May, but that won't be happening now that I have a June trip.
Right now I am scheduled to leave on the 22nd. I synched up with Rosie's trip next year. I can't go any later because we have a Halloween event at work on the 25th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey Mary Ellen,

I have a couple of newbie walking/running questions and I was going to PM you

but...

I thought there might be other souls reading your Epic Trip Report and you got be doing a public service by answering these questions for inquiring minds...

-When it begins to get cold outside... do you run outside still or do you use a treadmill...? (I have a treadmill...) do you get a similar impact...?

I run outside. I tried to run on a treadmill but I guess I don't keep an even enough pace, and I am afraid of falling off.

-At the beginning before you actually run... you are kind of fast walking... can you use the same kind of sneakers/athletic shoes... and if you are planning on being serious... is there something specific that you should look for in a shoe? What price point do you need to be at to get a good quality shoe?

I do have specific running shoes and I get them mostly at Kohl's too for the same reason.sale and 30% off usually but my last pair we just on sale.

-How many times do you really need to exercise a week to get the appropriate cardio benefits... (the answers I've seen are all over the place...)?

All I can say is I don't do enough but I do as much as I can stand and hav time for.

-Do you run everyday or do you take breaks in between...Should you take breaks in between?

and just to make this Disney related...

Since Dis is a very walking heavy vacation... Do the runs you take in the mornings energize you... because I'm guessing they do and yet it seems counterintuitive... since you're running in the morning before you even begin all the walking in the parks?

Run in the morning - or I just feel sluggish if I try to do it later.

Hope you don't mind I chimed in above.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #1789
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

CREEPY LITTLE CHAIR!!!!!!!!

Actually, this chair scares me just a little. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. What is the significance of that chair? Really? I mean, other than making one heck of a "time out" chair, I can't think of any purpose it would serve.

The other CREEPY LITTLE CHAIR!!!!!!

Oh Yes the Creepy chairs. They have names and I have pictures of the back of the chairs. PAUL and TODD I can post once I upload those pictures....

Quote:

I checked out some of the stuff over at the Belle vue lounge

I sat at that very table years ago when we stayed there. We would have breakfast there every morning. Just a cold continential set up but our room was just down the hall and other options were limited.

Belle Vue and those cottages make me hope that my wait list for BW comes through for May.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1790
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

First thanks for the running info Mary Ellen (... and Pat too... I need all the help/info I can get... I've been mostly treadmilling and I do do little intervals...Em taught me about them... I'm thinking I'm going to see if I can get any good deals on running shoes this weekend... with Black Friday and all of that... I think maybe for my first time I'll try to hit one of the independent athletic shoe stores to get fitted properly and then when I know what I need... I can hit Kohls...

Secondly... OMG the chairs are killer creepy... like horror film creepy... Steven King creepy... and now I'm going to have to look for them when I'm there...

I absolutely love that cottage... It's like this little hidden gem that probably 99% of guests never notice... I'd love to stay in one of those someday...

Great Photos of the Boardwalk common areas... I've always liked the BellVue Lounge... and all of that early turn of the century (20th) Atlantic City memorabilia... The Jersey Shore back in the day...I have old photos of Eric's greatgrandparents on the Atlantic City Boardwalk totally dressed up to take their evening stroll...

I like Blue and White China too... & apparently so did Walt and Lillian Disney... they collected it when they traveled especially in Europe... and not just really $$ but at all different price points... that's the reason the Lillian Tribute Fountain at the Disney Symphony Hall in LA is the shape of a rose (her favorite flower) all tiled in broken pieces of blue and white porcelain... because the two of them collected it together... You would love it... very pretty...

Great update...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #1791
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness!!! those cottages are amazing. Course...after I watched the video I had to look at the cost per night Wait... let me restate that... the cost per night

So for fear of fainting again... yes.. well outside my budget.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #1792
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

COTTAGE SUITE? What?! Seriously, did anyone know about these? Are they available for renting (CHEAPLY)?!?!?!

I'm just loving all these Boardwalk pictures! One of my top 'dream' resorts, definitely!

Those chairs are actually terrifying me right now... I just can't look!

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #1793
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Secondly... OMG the chairs are killer creepy... like horror film creepy... Steven King creepy... and now I'm going to have to look for them when I'm there...

I absolutely love that cottage... It's like this little hidden gem that probably 99% of guests never notice... I'd love to stay in one of those someday...
THey sit right by the fireplace, but I think they get moved when the Christmas tree goes up.

I hope you do find them, they are slightly creepier in person.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #1794
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
THey sit right by the fireplace, but I think they get moved when the Christmas tree goes up.

I hope you do find them, they are slightly creepier in person.
I know I have to do all my replies, but I am going to wait until tomorrow when I am slightly more coherent,

They MOVED those chairs in October. I didn't notice them in the lobby after I walked Cynthia to ME. And I thought nothing about until they were there when I returned from MK at 11pm. I was so freaked out that they had disappeared and then returned, as if on their own accord. Insert twilight zone music here.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #1795
krhst25
Mouseketeer

I loved the video of the cottage suites! They are gorgeous-- but sadly WAY outside my price zone!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #1796
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Oh yes....those sweet little cottages! I've looked at so many pictures of them on the internet. That will be the closest I ever get to staying in one of those. They would make a perfect retirement home, right?!?

I am loving all of your Boardwalk pictures! You are reconfirming my desire to stay at that resort. Well....except for the creepy chairs! Those make me want to run far, far away!

Glad y'all were able to get in some nice, quiet pool time!

Quote:
Have you ever toured AKL? If not, I definitely recommend a trip over there. It's such a beautiful and unique resort. Love it! And Boma is super yummy for breakfast and dinner! My GF went last year and she loved dinner so much that she went back the next night and just waited for a reservation to open up. Gotta love it!
I haven't actually gone there yet but all of the pictures just look so pretty. Ed has always told me he has no desire to stay there. However, he made a deal with me towards the end of our trip last month. Since he despises AK, he told me that he would stay at AKL if I wouldn't make him go to the park. Who knows.....maybe we'll be able to trade into the Villas @ AKL through RCI for our trip next October!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #1797
MEK
DIS Veteran

I can tell my computer is not going to cooperate with multiple posts, so to save frustration on my end, I am going to try to do replies one at a time.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #1798
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
I loved this update! The Boardwalk is such a beautiful resort and your pictures certainly did it justice!
Thank you! I am going through this phase where I just LOVE the Boardwalk. I think its my favorite DVC resort right now. I actually wanted BWV points, but when I was shopping for my second contract on the resale market I could never find what I wanted. So I settled for VWL. I am glad that is a fairly good sized DVC resort, which makes getting rooms at the 7th month window easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
I had actually booked us one of those cottages for our last trip but then I discovered that it was just one bedroom and I couldn't see spending the $ for her to sleep on a couch. Plus after my dad and Andrew decided to join us it never would have worked. Someday, Dale and I will stay there even for 1 night!
I have no idea what it costs to stay there a night, but it certainly is an amazing lay-out. Yeah - definitely designed more for 2 people to splurge. Is there just one bathroom? That's the way it looks.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #1799
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Sigh ...... I love the Boardwalk !!

My sentiments exactly. There are so many cool things about it. I like that the villa side is very different than the inn side. It gives it an eclectic vibe. Yet the inside flow is seamless. I love all the pieces of Americana on display. It really adds to the uniqueness of the place. And I can't help feeling nostalgic about my trips to the Jersey shore as a very young child whenever I walk into the inn.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #1800
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Those cottages look so nice. I could easily take up residence in one those.
Seriously, right? And what I especially love is that it's so quiet back there and no one is ever around. You are so close to the action, yet so far away from it all - all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
99% of the decorations and designs at the Boardwalk are so tasteful and well-done. I used to think the creepy slide was the worst, but that chair is crazy creepy! I would never sit in that thing. For some reason, the arms are the worst, to me. I'd have this childish terror that they'd wrap around and lock me in. I believe that's one thing I don't have to ever see at WDW.
The decorations are really tasteful. Those chairs are pretty bizzare. I would love to know more about the history of those chairs. I goggled it, but came up with nothing. They are a somewhat disturbing piece of Americana, that's for sure. Haha to the idea of the arms wrapping around you. It could never happen. Or, could it? Insert maniacal laugh here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: