Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
DeeCeeSW
DIS Veteran

Where we ate, 11/9-11/16, this is late!

Hi all,
We had some good dining experiences during our trip--in fact, we ate at some places more than once.

11/9-Lunch at the POR food court-Nice selection, but pricey. Had a hamburger meal. Nothing out of the ordinary.

11/9-Dinner at 'Ohana-EXCELLENT food and service. Particularly liked the salad (yummy dressing) and potstickers to start. The turkey was a little dry, but everything else was great. Make the effort to peel the shrimp, they are worth it! I have to give kudos to Chefs Michael and Bubba who prepared a wheat-free, egg-free meal for our 22-month-old son with food allergies. They introduced me to a wheat-free soy sauce that I didn't know existed! The pineapple and caramel dessert was good too, however, the caramel was kind of thin (I like it thick and gooey!).

11/10-Breakfast at Perkins near DD-good, hearty breakfast. Made the mistake of giving my DS some sausage patty and home fries. He got a little sick later on in our room (too spicy, I think!)!

Skipped lunch-took boat to DD and ate dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. Have eaten there many times before, food is OK, ambience is great. They no longer serve the waffle fries I love.

11/11-Breakfast at POR food court--had three beignets with coffee. Fattening and sweet, glad I tried it, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

We transferred over to the Polynesian this day and had lunch at Captain Cook's while waiting for our room to be ready. Had a hamburger and fries--standard fare, pricey.

Dinner at 1900 Park Fare--I really enjoyed this meal. There is a huge selection, everything was hot and tasty, and the character interaction was great. Good prime rib and turkey. I especially enjoyed the mussels and caesar salad, loved the key lime cheesecake tart for dessert. Chef also came out and showed me what my DS could eat on the buffet and even cut him up some unmarinated turkey and served him mango sorbet for dessert.

11/12-Breakfast at Kona Cafe--had to try the Tonga Toast. Very large and VERY sweet! Again, glad I tried it, but once was enough.

Lunch at MK food court in Tomorrowland. Had chicken tenders meal. Nothing special. The staff was totally disorganized and I eneded up waiting 10 minutes for my order (it was not busy at the park).

Dinner at Hoop Dee Doo Revue--this was my second time seeing the show, my DH and DS's first. Fried chicken was OK, loved the ribs. Disappointed that there was no longer any corn on the cob. Loved the shortcake. Again, our DS was given a fantastic alternative meal of grilled chicken breast, fresh grilled vegetables and a huge fruit plate (I called ahead for a special meal). Show was funny and we will go again and again!

11/13-Breakfast at Kona Cafe--had the banana and pecan waffles this time--VERY good.

Lunch at Epcot--went around the World and sampled some food from the countries (crab cakes in America, mussels in New Zealand, ice cream in France). Sat down later for a late lunch in Mexico (the outdoor cafe). Combibation plate was good and worth the money.

1900 Park Fare AGAIN for dinner!

11/14 --Dinner at 'Ohana again--this time Chef Bubba went outside the restaurant to get my DS a special dessert. Can't say enough about the service and attention we received!

11/15-Lunch at the Big River Grille on the Boardwalk--VERY good Mahi Mahi Caesar salad. Prices were reasonable.

Dinner at Kona Cafe--had the lo mein with shrimp--very fresh, but not overly remarkable. The dessert, however, was FANTASTIC. Had the Koko puffs. I HIGHLY recommend that you try them (DH and I shared).

The coffee at the Kona wasn't particularly strong or tastier that any coffee I have had at Starbucks and it was very pricey.

11/16-Grabbed a Krispy Kreme at Kona takeout and went back to the room to pack!

Overall, we had good experiences....there are plenty of other places to try, and we will try them on our next trip.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by DeeCeeSW; 11-22-2002 at 08:13 PM.
DeeCeeSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:09 PM   #2
Boots
Smiling at you!!!
Spreads cheer through her PMs
I've got some spare ribs
Shoe haters, unite!

Thank you for the wonderful reviews!!
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reviews. I am really interested in trying 'Ohana one of these trips!

I'm glad you found the restaurants so accomidating to your childs food allergies. It must have made dining out a lot easier.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
Misti
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review!

Glad to hear you had some nice meals at O'Hana and 1900 Park Fare. They are on our list for our next trip. Sorry to hear your DD got sick. Hopefully, she felt better quickly.

Welcome home!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:59 AM   #5
Muffy
Oh how I wish I lived in Florida!
Likes to watch unsuspecting people try the "Beverly" at Ice Station Cool!

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! I can't wait to try O'hana for the first time in Jan!

Muffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:22 AM   #6
DeeCeeSW
DIS Veteran

Almost forgot!

You MUST try the garlic mashed potatoes at the Big River Grille on the Boardwalk. My DS (who is almost 2) could not finish them and so we devoured the rest off of his plate! I have to say that these are probably the best I've had!
Old 11-24-2002, 06:18 AM   #7
amid chaos
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the reviews.

I am traveling with our recently diagnosed celiac 17 year old in 2 weeks and we are a little anxious about her food.

We are going with a large group and just a few PS's have been made and noted on the reservation but most of our meals will be unplanned.

Should we just let the restaurant and server know when we get there?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
DeeCeeSW
DIS Veteran

amid chaos--All of the Disney restaurants we ate in were more than accomodating. I let the CM know when I made my PS, I was given the direct numbers to the chefs, and I also reminded my servers about my DS's allergies when we sat down at each meal. However, when we ate at Rainforest Cafe and other independent eateries, the servers/chefs usually could not accomodate us, as their meals were prepared in a certain way, etc. We had to stick to hamburgers without the bun, hot dogs and french fries when we ate outside the World to be safe. We also brought some food from home (toddler meals). I know your child is 17, so that is not an option for you. Celiac is more serious than what my son has, as he is not allergic to oats, but barley and wheat. He can eat dairy too, thank goodness. I say you should always give it a try and inform the servers of your child's allergies and see what they can do!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: