Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
The Magic cruises at 22.3 knots which equals 25.62mph so 220miles divided by 25mph would equal 8.8 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z80 View Post
Yes that is theoretically true but other factors such as water currents have to be taken into effect. Not only that but it is unlikely that the ship normally sails at full speed as it is not as efficient as say an 80% power speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
[/B]

I used "cruise speed" not "full speed" but I will agree that currents play into effect just like head wind on an aircraft.
The ships normally come back from CC at about 15 knotts.Its more for fuel efficiency then anything else. There was a report done a while ago, that ships at sea cutting a few knotts off their cruise speed saved a significant amount of money in fuel.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #32
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80 View Post
Seeing that Disney has contract options with Meyer Werft, who built both the Dream and Fantasy, to build two additional dream class ships what are everyone's predictions on these ships? Specifically when do you think they'll be announced and how will they differ from the Dream and the Fantasy. Obviously elements such as virtual portholes and the aquaduck will be preserved but the question is what changes should be made.
Contract options are a standard in the cruise industry.......having the option means just that.its a option!

I dont beleive they will biuld more of the Dream class.........They are great ships, but I feel there is alot of poeple that just dont like the maga lARGE VESSELS.

I beleive the next class is be around 100,000 ton, inbetween the Classic and the Dream class.

I would guess the next new vessel will be out in 4 or 5 years.

Now all that said.. and I really beleive it!........isn't guessing fun!

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 06-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #33
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
The ships normally come back from CC at about 15 knotts.Its more for fuel efficiency then anything else. There was a report done a while ago, that ships at sea cutting a few knotts off their cruise speed saved a significant amount of money in fuel.

Absolutely correct Truck1.. With the recent rise in Bunker oil, I have some customers that are now running their ships at *economical speed*, not *sea speed*. This cuts about 10 RPM's / 1 1/2 to 2 knots off thier speed and saves about 12% on fuel costs (give or take a little).

At $600 a ton, using about 24 tons per day on a average 40,000 ton bulker/tanker, .......about $1728 a day, say a North Atlantic trip, about $20,000..That adds up fast!

AKK
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #34
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Vessles not selling out!

I feel there is a number of reasons why the DCL vessels are not always selling out!

1. The economy is still not great. The last industry report I heard about said DCL is still out selling (by %) the other lines and still has some sold out cruises, it is not as good as it use to be.

2. The intinaries seem to stay with the same ports! I know they work around CC as much as possible and rightfully so, but there are other/better ports within cruising range. (See Nancy,we do agree on something! )

3..This is the biggist issue and seems to be over looked!..The plan was to keep the Wonder on the west coast. Unfortunitely the gang and general crime issues has severely reduced the ability of the cruise industry to safely run cruises to the MR and that includes DCL!. So.....they had to bring the Wonder back to the east coast for at least part of the year.......this created a additional whole ship of cabins needing to be filled,( not to mention the other criuse line vessels) thereby spreading the problem though the entire florida/Gulf coast cruising industry.

JMHO

AKK
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

3..This is the biggist issue and seems to be over looked!..The plan was to keep the Wonder on the west coast. Unfortunitely the gang and general crime issues has severely reduced the ability of the cruise industry to safely run cruises to the MR and that includes DCL!. So.....they had to bring the Wonder back to the east coast for at least part of the year.......this created a additional whole ship of cabins needing to be filled,( not to mention the other criuse line vessels) thereby spreading the problem though the entire florida/Gulf coast cruising industry.

JMHO

AKK
I agree I think having to move the Wonder back East has really thrown a wrench in DCL's long term plans, but in this day and age if you cannot diversify and roll with the changes you will not stay in business . I can't see DCL building new ships for a long time.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #36
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

As others have said, I really really really really hope they don't build two new huge ships and retire the Magic and the Wonder. I love the small ships and would have to be really enticed to get on the larger ones. If Disney someday ended up with 4 large ships and 0 small ones, that may be the end of our cruising days. I hope the CM who said they would be making two new smaller ships is correct!

And, I completely agree, keep it small, but add the touches the new ones have. More connecting rooms in all categories, for example. It also sounds like the new "station" style of buffet is nice.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #37
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

I don't think Disney will be building new ships in the next 5-6 years. I think they are seeing that they have probably maximized, if not over-extended, the passenger demand capacity.

Unlike the other cruise lines, Disney is in the unique position of having an alternative business base that is supplemented by their cruise venture, so they don't have to keep building inventory to grow their business. Other lines must constantly upgrade or improve their ships or they will lose market share.

From what I understand, DCL has the highest percentage of repeat cruisers in the industry. They are a niche cruise line, not a mass market line. So while they do need to refresh the ships or add to the fleet periodically, they are not under the same pressure to do so as the other lines.

I think 4 ships is the maximum number of vessels DCL will run. I do not anticipate Disney building new ships until they prepare to retire or sell the Magic and Wonder.

When they do build new ships though, I would expect they will be smaller than the Dream or Fantasy.

Another factor is the world economy. Even if the American economy improves from it's current state, the crushing debt level will prevent it from truly prospering. And the economic crisis in Europe will continue for at least a decade or two as other countries begin to experience the same issues facing Greece now.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #38
truck1

Quote:
Absolutely correct Truck1.. With the recent rise in Bunker oil, I have some customers that are now running their ships at *economical speed*, not *sea speed*. This cuts about 10 RPM's / 1 1/2 to 2 knots off thier speed and saves about 12% on fuel costs (give or take a little).

At $600 a ton, using about 24 tons per day on a average 40,000 ton bulker/tanker, .......about $1728 a day, say a North Atlantic trip, about $20,000..That adds up fast!

AKK
Quote:
I feel there is a number of reasons why the DCL vessels are not always selling out!

1. The economy is still not great. The last industry report I heard about said DCL is still out selling (by %) the other lines and still has some sold out cruises, it is not as good as it use to be.

2. The intinaries seem to stay with the same ports! I know they work around CC as much as possible and rightfully so, but there are other/better ports within cruising range. (See Nancy,we do agree on something! )

JMHO

AKK
DCL is a business, just like every other cruiseline. If they can save money on fuel simply by slowing down, there going to do it. Correct me if Im wrong but with 5 engines that run at a set speed, 2 are dedicated to propulsion, (1 on each side port and starboard) and the other 3 are for hotel. By using kttw cards to keep the lights on in the cabins on the Dream class, cabins arent using as much power, which translates into fuel savings also.

Im not sure that bringing the Wonder back is throwing a wrench in DCLs plans. DCLs original plan was for 10 ships. The Dream class theoretically should be numbers 5 an 6 in the fleet not 3 and 4. The original plan for the in between class, was for something larger then the Magic but smaller then the Dream. The way Joe Lazisero explained it on the Maiden was that they took the best parts of the Magic class, the best of the proposed class, and added a few little things to make the Dream class.
If and when DCL plans new ships, they are going to look at where the ships are going to go, how the other ships are booking especially PC and go from there. They could be add ons to the Dream class, or a whole new class. Only time will tell.

I am going to guess though that DCL may have started a test in Miami, Galveston, and NY before they were ready, but I dont think the test was too far off, to see where they could move a ship (s) permantly.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #39
Who's your Mickey?
Ruler of the Disney Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
DCL is a business, just like every other cruiseline. If they can save money on fuel simply by slowing down, there going to do it. Correct me if Im wrong but with 5 engines that run at a set speed, 2 are dedicated to propulsion, (1 on each side port and starboard) and the other 3 are for hotel. By using kttw cards to keep the lights on in the cabins on the Dream class, cabins arent using as much power, which translates into fuel savings also.

Im not sure that bringing the Wonder back is throwing a wrench in DCLs plans. DCLs original plan was for 10 ships. The Dream class theoretically should be numbers 5 an 6 in the fleet not 3 and 4. The original plan for the in between class, was for something larger then the Magic but smaller then the Dream. The way Joe Lazisero explained it on the Maiden was that they took the best parts of the Magic class, the best of the proposed class, and added a few little things to make the Dream class.
If and when DCL plans new ships, they are going to look at where the ships are going to go, how the other ships are booking especially PC and go from there. They could be add ons to the Dream class, or a whole new class. Only time will tell.

I am going to guess though that DCL may have started a test in Miami, Galveston, and NY before they were ready, but I dont think the test was too far off, to see where they could move a ship (s) permantly.
Agreed, but DCL does need to expand there itineraries. You can only charge premium rates to the same old ports for so long. I get it that many people are blinded by pixie dust when it comes to the ships themselves, but I personally get bored taking the same cruise repeatedly. I like to go to new places or places I don't often visit. I've been to Nassau and St. Thomas so many times, I hardly even look over the side of the ship let alone get off the ship. Try a different Eastern Caribbean itinerary or a Southern Caribbean run. Maybe an exotic Caribbean itinerary. Maybe positioning a ship in San Juan would be more effective than Miami. It would broaden DCL's reach in the Caribbean.

Don't get me wrong, DCL's boats are beautiful. They made some mistakes with them, especially with the pool deck, but they did a great job melding the feel of a classic ocean liner with all the bells and whistles of a modern cruise ship. I'm only a cruise on the Wonder away from the DCL grand slam and that cruise is now on my calendar. Without more interesting itineraries, I'm not sure the ships alone are enough to justify the premiums rates DCL charges.

Hide the rum...
Who's your Mickey? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's your Mickey? View Post
Agreed, but DCL does need to expand there itineraries. You can only charge premium rates to the same old ports for so long. I get it that many people are blinded by pixie dust when it comes to the ships themselves, but I personally get bored taking the same cruise repeatedly. I like to go to new places or places I don't often visit. I've been to Nassau and St. Thomas so many times, I hardly even look over the side of the ship let alone get off the ship. Try a different Eastern Caribbean itinerary or a Southern Caribbean run. Maybe an exotic Caribbean itinerary. Maybe positioning a ship in San Juan would be more effective than Miami. It would broaden DCL's reach in the Caribbean.

Don't get me wrong, DCL's boats are beautiful. They made some mistakes with them, especially with the pool deck, but they did a great job melding the feel of a classic ocean liner with all the bells and whistles of a modern cruise ship. I'm only a cruise on the Wonder away from the DCL grand slam and that cruise is now on my calendar. Without more interesting itineraries, I'm not sure the ships alone are enough to justify the premiums rates DCL charges.
I agree 100%.
Im kinda Nassaued out. Id be one of the first to book if DCL was going anywhere near the ABCs or somewhere else.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #41
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
I would like to see ships the size of Magic/Wonder, with the pools of Magic/Wonder, the Aquaduck, and a blend of the staterooms from the two types - fewer staterooms like Magic/Wonder, but more verandah staterooms like Dream/Fantasy - and of course secret portholes in all the inside staterooms!

I think a blend of the best aspects of both types of ships with fewer passengers would be perfect.
Could not agree more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: