Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #61
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivejuicy View Post
I saw it yesterday with my daughter (6), stepmother, And brother (17), and all of us loved it. I really liked that the story was focused on being true to oneself and not getting a man. I ink Tangled did a good job with that, too, with e getting a man being a side note rather than the focus, but I thought the message was much stronger with Brave. There were some weak plot points that could have been improved, but overall I thought it was great.
I liked it because it did not teach my 6 year old grand daughter that she needs to find a prince by the time she was 16=18.

When it was over and we were walking out- she says-- I almost cried there--LOL

I liked it.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #62
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

I loved it. In fact, it ranks for me solidly in the middle of the Pixar movies, well above Cars, Cars 2, Ratatouille, and Bug's Life. Not as good as Wall-E, the Toy Story movies, Up, and Nemo. It kind of ties for me with Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

And the spoiler that was posted totally missed what the movie was actually about, so don't worry about that if you haven't seen it yet. It was a beautiful film and Merida is my favorite Disney princess.

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #63
disney_bob
Mouseketeer

I wasn't terribly interested in this movie but saw it because my wife wanted to. I generally love Pixar films - with the exception of Toy Story 2 & Cars 2.

This movie ranks higher than both of them (and probably ratatouille) in my book but it still wasn't particularly good. As many others have written it was visually impressive but it fell very short in the story aspect - at least from what I've come to expect from most Pixar movies. It was very predictable and unoriginal. I also didn't care too much for the "moral of the story". I don't feel it pertains to 1/2 the audience (male) directly and is therefore not a particularly 'accessible' or 'moving' movie for us in the way the other Pixar films can be. They should also have had more of the triplets. Hilarious!

I'd also like to mention that for those waiting for the end scene: The credits seem so long for the payoff. The 'end scene' is mildly amusing - not very. The "touching" moment.. well, maybe if you misunderstand the importance of a man.

Last edited by disney_bob; 06-25-2012 at 12:19 PM.
disney_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #64
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

I loved this film! It's definitely in the top of my personal choices for Pixar. Is it the strongest, no, but I found the entertainment value to be quite high. Even though I have all of their films on DVD, I don't watch some just because they aren't entertaining for me, and I found one to be preachy *cough Wall-E cough*. My favorite is Ratatouille and time will tell if this one becomes my next #1 from Pixar. I'll need the DVD to evaluate those two together.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #65
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

After reading some online reviews I was not expecting a whole lot. My wife and I really liked the movie.

I must admit having the local bagpipe and drum corps saranade us before the film started was a huge and wonderful surprise for us. Everyone should experience that, it was wonderful and we just lucked into the performance.
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #66
PrincessCastMember
Mouseketeer

I also very much enjoyed Merida and appreciated the beauty of the film (and the music!)

I did feel like there was a lot of under developed characters:
- The witch: after Merida goes back to the cabin with her mom we never see or hear of the witch again!
- The triplets: I don't think the triplets spoke ONCE in the entire film!

It also seemed the adventure was restricted to such a small area. It's hard to explain this idea, but looking at other Disney films, it seems the characters had a lot more environment to travel (ex. Marlin and Dori travel from the reef to Sydney Australia and back, in UP they go on a crazy journey to South America...but in Brave it seems like everything just takes place in her backyard)

I still enjoyed the story. Definitely not the direction I thought they were going to take it. I just think they could have done a little more with it.

http://disneylittlethings.blogspot.com/ My blog all about the little things that make WDW great, from a former Cast Member's point of view.

**A Proud Walt Disney World Former Cast Member**
2003 - 2004: Disney College Program, Hoop Dee Doo Revue
2006 - 2008: Magic Kingdom Guest Relations, Keys to the Kingdom Tour Guide
PrincessCastMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #67
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Definitely not my favorite Pixar movie...I thought the movie looked really pretty for the most part, but I didn't really like the art style of the human characters. I thought they looked, dare I say...kind of ugly! The plot felt kind of weak to me. I liked it well enough, but it was overall pretty forgettable.

Since it was brought up in the OP, I have to add my .02 and say that I thought Tangled was MUCH better. I felt like it was a better story, better characters, better art direction-I just LOVED Tangled! Brave was just alright in my opinion.

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #68
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_bob View Post
I wasn't terribly interested in this movie but saw it because my wife wanted to. I generally love Pixar films - with the exception of Toy Story 2 & Cars 2.

This movie ranks higher than both of them (and probably ratatouille) in my book but it still wasn't particularly good. As many others have written it was visually impressive but it fell very short in the story aspect - at least from what I've come to expect from most Pixar movies. It was very predictable and unoriginal. I also didn't care too much for the "moral of the story". I don't feel it pertains to 1/2 the audience (male) directly and is therefore not a particularly 'accessible' or 'moving' movie for us in the way the other Pixar films can be. They should also have had more of the triplets. Hilarious!

I'd also like to mention that for those waiting for the end scene: The credits seem so long for the payoff. The 'end scene' is mildly amusing - not very. The "touching" moment.. well, maybe if you misunderstand the importance of a man.
Why wouldn't Brave pertain to a male audience? The majority of Pixar movies focus on male relationships. Plenty of women have found meaning and enjoyment in movies like Finding Nemo and Up, why can't it work the other way around? It seriously boggles my mind that a story exploring the relationship between a mother and daughter is 'less accessible' than something dealing with fish, superheros, bugs, or a rat that can cook.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #69
disney_bob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
Why wouldn't Brave pertain to a male audience? The majority of Pixar movies focus on male relationships. Plenty of women have found meaning and enjoyment in movies like Finding Nemo and Up, why can't it work the other way around? It seriously boggles my mind that a story exploring the relationship between a mother and daughter is 'less accessible' than something dealing with fish, superheros, bugs, or a rat that can cook.
Well then I'll let you continue to be boggled. I really wasn't trying to get into a discussion where I have to explain the male perspective. Note that a PP also mentioned that her husband and boys weren't terribly interested in the story so I know I'm not alone but I also don't claim to speak for ALL men.
disney_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #70
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl View Post
I have never seen Tangled and had no desire to see it. I'm eagerly awaiting Brave, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl View Post

No. I actually have a vague recollection of a school play somewhere back there. It just didn't grab me as something I wanted to see. Probably ought to see it anyway. I felt that way about Hunchback and it's one of my favorites.
As a fellow Oklahoman, I'm so saddened by this. Of 51 Disney movies, Tangled may very well be my favorite of them all. Hard to explain exactly why, but this movie was Disney at its best, in my opinion -- music, humor, great villain, teary moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
I admit Tangled seemed to have a lot more action but one thing I really liked about Brave (I don't think this is a spoiler but if it is someone scream out so I can edit) - I liked it that there wasn't really a "bad guy".
This is one of the things I love about Pixar movies that sets them apart.
Lack of villains (Finding Nemo)...or lack of a pure, evil villain (Toy Story, Ratatouille). (POTENTIAL SPOILER: Brave has a "villain" but he really isn't the main "antagonist" of the story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
Oh a happier note I thought La Luna was fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Loved the short!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Also adored the La Luna shot at the beginning.
For all the talk about Brave, I think more attention should be given to La Luna. I've heard so much hype about Paperman which will be introduced in front of Wreck-It Ralph, but La Luna was an amazing piece by Pixar. For those who question Brave and think Pixar has "lost a step", La Luna shows that Pixar has still got it.

Speaking of Wreck-It Ralph...maybe this is the guy in me, but I am super pumped about this movie...more so than I normally do for a Disney movie.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
crocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #71
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Definitely agree with OP on most points. Brave lacked a lot IMO. The animation is amazing in some parts..I even looked twice..the scenery and her hair were unbelieveable..but honestly it was boring! This is the FIRST Disney movie I EVER considered leaving early because it just wasn't engaging at all to me.

The story didn't seem to "jive" together. Vikings, Witches, mom turning into a bear, triplets..bare bottoms..none of it worked for me. There weren't a whole lot of really funny moments or those "adult humor" snippets I so enjoy. And mostly no villains or music.

Although I love the premise of the character Merida..and she is spunky and beautiful..the movie itself rates very very low of my Disney movie favorites. Honestly..I think I'd watch Valiant again before Brave...pretty neck in neck there
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #72
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

What Vikings? There were no Vikings in Brave.

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #73
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

I saw it last week and while it was visually stunning (Merida's hair in particular was just amazing!), and I enjoyed the characters, I felt it was lacking story wise. I liked it, but I didn't love it. My dh is, however, incredibly excited about Wreck-It Ralph. And I loved La Luna.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #74
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

After all the hype, high expectations from Pixar, I was disappointed.

There was a lot of hype and clips about this movie, and after seeing it, I feel like they gave all the best away up front. Almost all the clips of the triplets were featured in previews, leaving me unfulfilled when I hoped for more of their antics. The shorts that didn't appear in the film were highly entertaining.

Also, with the title Brave, I expected .... well ... more bravery! I expected a princess to be proud of through and through, a single independent woman who would really strike home the goodness of not needing a "prince". Not a teenager who threw a MASSIVE temper tantrum and then spent the rest of the film fumbling to recover from her own stupidity.

I agree with what a former poster said, the movie is lesser than the sum of its parts. Scenes individually are captivating. The animation is inarguably beautiful. The story line left me wishing for a rewrite.
Alifay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #75
Geodesic
Earning My Ears

While I enjoyed Brave, this thread has got me thinking about how one-note it was and (by comparison) how much more interesting and layered the storyline of The Princess & The Frog was.
Geodesic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: