Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #106
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

We have this thing, the kids and I, where we try to spot the Tower of Terror first. We do it at both parks, since that's the tallest thing in the parks (right?). I have no idea who won, but it was really exciting driving up to the hotels. Isn't it always, though???

So we went to the Paradise Pier, and I don't even remember now whether our room was ready. I really need to be more on top of these things.

But really, who cares, because soon enough we were looking at this:

And that's all that matters.

We have a deal where our first ride on every trip is Small World. Now, our first trip to DLR was when they were rehabbing the ride and adding Disney characters. I remember the uproar here on disboards, where you would have thought they were making the whole ride a virtual 3D animated experience. But really, I happen to love the way they weaved Disney characters into the various countries represented in the ride.

Our unofficial second ride is Buzz. It seems like on every trip, at any given time, one kid wants to be on Buzz and the other wants to be on something at the opposite end of the park. I will also say that DL Buzz is FAR better than WDW Buzz. Seriously, I hate WDW Buzz but will endlessly ride DL Buzz. Also, I make the kids either sit together or one of them sits alone because I *must* shoot on DL Buzz. So yeah, I like the ride.

We haven't been on the Matterhorn. I have been on it once, and I liked it, but DD is not a roller coaster kid, so we haven't done it yet. That hasn't stopped me from talking about it and photographing it a lot, though. Especially when there are mountain climbers on top.

DD says if we go back, she will ride it. I don't know if I believe that, though, as she won't ride any of the other roller coasters. Also I've heard it is still bumpy as hell, and I think she won't like that at all. But who knows. She also refused to ride Pirates for a really long time, because of the drops. Notice I used the past tense there, was that intentional? Hmmmm.

Somehow we always enter the parks at parade time. We were exiting Alice in Wonderland at this point, which gave us the perfect view of the parade.

Next up, Snow White. We had avoided this one in the past, but at WDW they decided it was time to try it. We had YouTubed it, and decided it was OK, and they loved it. They then decided it was OK to try it at DLR too, and they loved it! Luckily, no one else was in line, so we rode this about 5 times in a row, walking on each time. Later we would see long lines, but because we were there during the parade it was totally empty!

You have to go across to the Peter Pan line and look back at Snow White, or you might miss this:

Also, as you enter the line, touch the apple, if you dare.

And look in the queue for some of the cool details:

A few years ago, Disneyland opened up the Thunder Ranch area with a Toy Story themed barbecue. Well that kind of fell flat, and they rethemed it to just a barbecue. They also have a character meet and greet there, and a petting zoo. The thing is, no one knows about this, so you have almost no lines and awesome character interaction! You can pet horses and goats:

And meet obscure characters:

And even meet Mickey, or color and/or play with Chip and Dale! I feel like Disneyland has the best character interaction of any park.

Then we hit Jungle Cruise. This is another one that we had avoided, because of the possible scariness. We tried it at WDW in December, and the kids loved it, so we tried it at DLR. It was another hit! But why had I never noticed there are real birds up above Jungle Cruise??

We ended up having to go upstairs in the JC line, which gave us some unique sightseeing opportunities. Those real birds? They get tons of attention!!! DD named this one "Cuddles" for obvious reasons:

Again, never would have seen this if we hadn't gone upstairs:

Then we headed to the Tiki Room!

Now, I know we did something that night, but I have no photos. So it remains a mystery. I guess what happens in Disneyland stays in Disneyland.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #107
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inthefamily View Post
Glad you are doing a report. If I remember correctly we were going around the same time, but we hit Anaheim first and SD second. Smart of you to stay elsewhere and just visit the Hotel Del, because I have to say I was SO excited to stay there...and it was NOT what I imagined. The best part is the beach. The hotel itself is outrageously expensive and not at all up to what they charge. I actually called DVC (we used points) to tell them that the hotel was not up to Disney standards at all.

We missed the Midway...my husband was bummed. We did do the zoo and it was amazing but it sure was hot in CA that week. Ugh. I think we were way too busy in Anaheim/LA and by the time we got to San Diego we were just so tired!
How was your trip overall???? I was wondering about you guys!!

When we went to the Del, I was blown away at how crowded it was. I know DL is bigger and has wider walkways, but I felt like the Del was FAR more crowded than anything at DL. I was kind of glad we weren't staying there, because of that. It was a total pain traveling there, but I was glad to retreat to our convention hotel.

And you nailed the reason why we did SD first. I knew we would be tired after DL, and that nothing we did would compare, and that we would just be wishing we were at DL.

I think I forgot to mention that as our room overlooked the hotel pool in SD, we once saw the convention people out at the pool that had been closed off for them. One of my kids said the people looked like ants, and it was such a valid description that from that point on we referred to any convention people as "Ants". It was hilarious, hearing the kids casually mentioning that "That Ant in the elevator said..." or "Are those some Ants over there?" or "There were a ton of Ants in the bathroom near the pool". I don't know, just one of those little things that really cracked me up.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #108
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Ants! LOL! That's too cute.

The Grand Californian was absolutely gorgeous! We loved it and it was hard to leave. Whenever we drove to LA, I wanted to go back to my Disney bubble in Anaheim! I loved Disneyland! Some of the rides were SO much better than DW. Especially Pirates, Small World and Buzz. We had a great time, loved Cars Land, and loved how close everything was! Amazed at being able to park hop so easily. Its always a huge project at WDW.

Los Angeles disappointed me except for a few moments...especially when we crashed a party at Grauman's for the 25th anniversary of Dirty Dancing! That was ridiculous that my husband scammed them into letting us in saying we lost the tickets that we got online (they had a Facebook promo a while back) and we came all the way from CT, etc...they let us in! Paparazzi, pink carpet, Jennifer Grey...the movie then after party with free drinks and food and gift bag! Granted we had the only 9 year old boy there, but it was SO worth it. That and DL were the highlights.

It was SO damn hot there!! I wasn't expecting it to be so warm. San Diego was not as hot...and we did love La Jolla. We had a great brunch there, went to see the seals, etc. Quick trip to Old Town...not too interesting when you're exhausted. I wanted a full day at the Hotel Del... so we rented a boogie board, they give free chairs..but a $7 ice cream cone? Yikes.
May 2009 - POR Riverside
Bought BLT DVC September 2009
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
September 2010 - BLT/MNSSHP
November 2011- SSR
April 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - GCV Disneyland
November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside/MNSSHP
3inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #109
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I've heard LA can be disappointing. But wow, crashing a party??? That's awesome! Now I really wish you had a TR here!

And I agree that those rides are better at DLR. I could happily skip Buzz at WDW, but DL Buzz is an all time favorite. Pirates is so awesome at DLR, and I prefer DLR's Haunted Mansion by far. And yeah, Small World is so much better at DLR too!! It will be interesting, because we will be riding WDW Pirates and HM in December for the first time in ages, and I want to hear what the kids think. They have probably heard me say that the DLR versions are better, but I want to know what they think.

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #110
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
I've heard LA can be disappointing. But wow, crashing a party??? That's awesome! Now I really wish you had a TR here!

And I agree that those rides are better at DLR. I could happily skip Buzz at WDW, but DL Buzz is an all time favorite. Pirates is so awesome at DLR, and I prefer DLR's Haunted Mansion by far. And yeah, Small World is so much better at DLR too!! It will be interesting, because we will be riding WDW Pirates and HM in December for the first time in ages, and I want to hear what the kids think. They have probably heard me say that the DLR versions are better, but I want to know what they think.
I may have to do a report....I need to figure out the photo thing. I've never done it.

We are going to WDW for ONE DAY next month. I know its a tease...but we will be in FL for Thanksgiving at my parents place. WDW is about 3 hours north of them and my cousin is doing the college program and can get us in for free. How can I pass that up. We are going there the day of the "soft" opening for the new Fantasyland. I am so excited! We are staying at Port Orleans for the night. After that...its another year to wait until we go back for next Halloween. That is by far my favorite experience there...the Halloween Party. Are you doing the Christmas Party? Ive never done that...but my favorite holiday thing there is the Osborne Lights at DHS
May 2009 - POR Riverside
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
November 2011- SSR
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #111
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

We haven't done the Christmas party, because it sounds like every year it is scaled back and priced higher than the year before. The kids are begging to go at Halloween time, but they don't have any school vacations around then and I won't take them out of school.

We will be in WDW in January, actually, and I have yet to decide where we will stay. Last year we were at the Boardwalk and LOVED it, and might just stay there again. But part of me wants to try out all of the hotels, at least all of the deluxe ones. What can I say, I'm a sucker for convenience. If money were no object we would stay at the Contemporary, so we could walk to MK and monorail to Epcot (with a monorail change). We might still do that, I'm still trying to decide if the dining plan is worthwhile for us. We tend to bring food, but this WDW trip is at the end of a longer trip. On the one hand, we are driving there so we could bring a ton of food/drink. On the other hand, it is a really short trip (3 nights) so we won't be hanging out at the hotel, so we won't be needing extra food. Sigh. First world problems.

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #112
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

The next morning we had a Plan! The Plan! was to tackle Carsland. I had a feeling DD wouldn't like Radiator Springs Racers, but she insisted she wanted to try it, and this was our only hope. So we woke up bright and early and got to the parks before they opened. We were staying on site, so we had early entry, but we were still a few minutes late. I had read that the line in the GCH would take longer than the main gate, because there are more turnstiles at the main gate, so we did not take our usual shortcut through DCA. Instead, we went to the main gate and entered the park. I was sure we would have at least an hour's wait, because we were about 15 minutes post EE time.

We followed the herd to Carsland, and it was *amazing*. Wow, the detail is incredible. You truly feel like you are walking into an animated movie, which is a surreal feeling.

There were "characters" out and about, even at this hour.

That was all good, but we had other things to do. The theming in Carsland was amazing, did I already say that???

Radiator Springs, of course:

I loved this, in the line for RSR:

Sneak peek of the ride:

*snort*

DS and I loved RSR. We truly did. DD, not so much. She didn't like the banked turns and dips. She said she loved the ride, and proudly told everyone how awesome it was, but refused to ride it ever again and still insists she won't ride it on future trips.

On the other hand, she loved the other Carsland rides. So we did those.

At this point, we were hungry. So we headed to Flo's, naturally.

Cars waffles, people. Theming genius.

More theming inside Flo's, this was the large mirror on the upper wall of the dining area:

You could see RSR in the "rear view mirror". Genius.

More photos:

Then we hit Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. This was the favorite Carsland ride for my kids. The theming in the queue was awesome! If you've seen any of the Mater's Tall Tales, you will recognize these items:

We love this ride:

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #113
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

So after Carsland, we headed to the Little Mermaid! This was a favorite last summer, and it didn't disappoint again. The line has never been too long, so we can usually walk on. This means we end up riding it over and over again. Good thing I like this one!

We must have headed to Toy Story Mania after that...

And then back past Carsland, where we ran into this guy:

Then it was off to Bugs Land! We usually go at night, when it is empty, but it was still early so we decided to give it a try. The lines weren't that long, so we hit all the rides.

I love this perspective:

Fun ride!

We had never been on Soarin. Sounds crazy, but it is true! But we made up for it on this trip. We probably went on there 5 times a day.

The kids really liked the pre-boarding area, with the Patrick Warburton video. I thought he was funny, but he was acting like Putty from Seinfeld. The kids haven't seen that, but I guess it is a character that translates well.

Across from Soarin' there is a little show with Minnie Mouse. DD had decided that Minnie is her favorite character, so we watched the show and then waited for an autograph and photo.

We then went to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (is that what it is called?). What a fun area to explore!

We found our spirit animals. DS was a moose, which he thought was hilarious because the moose spirit trips and falls.

We hit Soarin' again and headed back to the hotel for a swim and rest.

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #114
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
The next morning we had a Plan! The Plan! was to tackle Carsland. I had a feeling DD wouldn't like Radiator Springs Racers, but she insisted she wanted to try it, and this was our only hope. So we woke up bright and early and got to the parks before they opened. We were staying on site, so we had early entry, but we were still a few minutes late. I had read that the line in the GCH would take longer than the main gate, because there are more turnstiles at the main gate, so we did not take our usual shortcut through DCA. Instead, we went to the main gate and entered the park. I was sure we would have at least an hour's wait, because we were about 15 minutes post EE time.

We followed the herd to Carsland, and it was *amazing*. Wow, the detail is incredible. You truly feel like you are walking into an animated movie, which is a surreal feeling.
We did do the GCH line since we were staying there and it wrapped all the way back to the White Water Snacks behind the pool. Crazy line and some pretty snappy mama's with strollers jockeying for position. Ugh!

You really do feel like you are in Radiator Springs, right? Amazing. We loved RSR, Mater was cute...Luigis was kind of meh. Glad we did it but not enough to go again. We ate at Flo's as well, but for dinner another night. It was fantastic...and pretty easy to do GF with all that meat! I didn't nitpick with ingredients but I had turkey and mashed potatoes and was fine. Also that weird tea with the foam on top. It was pretty good!
May 2009 - POR Riverside
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
November 2011- SSR
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #115
arthur06
DDC #689

Lots of great photos, Thanks for sharing

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #116
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

So, I had written a huge post with the next installment, and then something happened and it was gone. So I decided to punish the Disboards Gods by not posting here for a while. But the joke's on me, because now I don't remember much of anything from our trip. Ha ha, you win.

Let's see if the photos jog my memory at all...

I guess that night we hit the Mad Tea Party. I know I have better/other photos of this, so we must have done it more than once.

I really did enjoy the Mad Tea Party. It's like bringing your kids out to a club, and it is all good!!!

Also we enjoyed the nearby indoor attractions, such as the Animation Academy (why do I blank on names when I post these things??) and Turtle Talk with Crush. Crush seems to like DS, because he always talks to him.

But really, how awesome is DCA at night?

Especially Carsland? And I have more night time Carsland photos somewhere else.

And what's this??? A rare photo of all 3 of us??

As my son would say, "This is really rare. Like, really rare, mom." And pixelated. It is really pixelated, because this pic was taken with my phone. But hey, there we are!

Me DD 10 DS 8

Last edited by nancy drew; 11-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #117
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I'm really annoyed right now, because I can't figure out the new Photobucket. I have uploaded photos, but they seem to just find random spots. This is not the best night to deal with it, so updates will have to wait!

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #118
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Ookay. Saw Dland in your sig and I have to sub to your TR too. Can't look now though. I can tell you have a great camera too!
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #119
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
Ookay. Saw Dland in your sig and I have to sub to your TR too. Can't look now though. I can tell you have a great camera too!
Well, you're in good company because as you may see here, I'm in a sort of standoff with the new Photobucket. We aren't speaking, and we seem to be equally stubborn. The "new" format is horrible!!! We went to WDW in January, and are going again in 2 weeks (just overnight) and I can't bear to start a trip report because of the hassle of dealing with Photobucket!!! Is there another option???

Me DD 10 DS 8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: