Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

We are not thrill ride people either..and I suppose that Disney just ruins the rest of the amusement parks for us all. I'm really NOT looking forward to Universal...and I hear all of the rides there are either too scary or just nauseating. It should be a quick day with the studio tour and some character seeking...and then I will probably want to get back to my comfort zone...Disneyland!

Have you done Indiana Jones? How is that one? I can't take Star Tours, it makes me sick..my son and husband love it. Im fine on Soarin...maybe its just the combination of the screen and shaky seats? IDK?!?
May 2009 - POR Riverside
Bought BLT DVC September 2009
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
September 2010 - BLT/MNSSHP
November 2011- SSR
April 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - GCV Disneyland
November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside/MNSSHP
3inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I've done Indy, but not in like 12 years. I liked it, but again I was a younger, more adventurous person. I've done Star Tours in CA and FL. The first time, in CA, I was too busy trying to calm DD who was screaming the entire time (bad mom move making her go on it). DS and I went alone in FL and the first time I felt sick after, and the second time I was fine. I did try one trick, which someone on here recommended, which is relaxing my stomach (well, and the rest of my body, but mostly my core muscles) during the bumpiest parts. I've never done Soarin, though. DD swears she will try it, but I fear she will change her mind at the last moment. Do the seats move? How high up are you lifted? Any tips for a nervous first-timer?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

First of all, I read your older trip reports and loved them! Your kids are adorable!

I noticed that we are the same age, I think. The big 4-0 this year? Yikes! This trip is part of my present. I got to choose where we go on vacation because it was a "big" birthday!

As for Soarin'...the seats themselves seem to barely move...you are well buckled in and go up fairly high when the ride starts, but you stay there until it is over without much movement. Its all perception...I guess the movie makes you feel like you are flying. I LOVE it, and I am not a big heights/ride person. It is worth trying. I think its amazing. You can always just close your eyes if need be!

Ive never done Tower of Terror, or Rock N Rollercoaster. I can handle Big Thunder Mountain but hate the drop on Splash Mountain so I don't do that one..but I tried. Same with Space Mountain. I tried once and hated it. I have a feeling the Matterhorn will be that way but I promised I would give it a go.

I also felt kind of blah from Test Track but will suck it up so I can go on Radiator Springs Racers.
May 2009 - POR Riverside
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
November 2011- SSR
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

My big 4-0 is next summer, but my big 3-9 is this year. I'll really accept any excuse to visit Disneyland, but I've always hated my birthday and this is my way of turning that around. Last year we "Celebrated" my birthday a few days late in Disneyland. This year we will be traveling and arriving in SD on my birthday. Really, I will be THRILLED to celebrate with a glass of wine or two during the poolside movie night at the hotel.

Oh I love discussing rides! I haven't tried Splash or Thunder! I've never been on Screamin', RnR, ToT, or Test Track. I have been on the Matterhorn, and I remember liking it overall. It is really bumpy, and jerky (I read that they fixed the jerkiness but not the bumpiness). I actually like Space Mountain, though I haven't been on it in a while and my last ride was in WDW where it is really jerky. DLR's Space Mountain is supposed to be a lot smoother but I don't remember it at all, as that was a long time ago (my trip in the 90's, whenever that was).

DS wants to try some rides that I'd like to try, like Thunder, maybe the Matterhorn, he says he would do Space Mountain but I'm not sure he would go through with it. I thought about having DD stay in Pinocchio's Workshop and taking DS on rides, but that doesn't seem fair to DD and I think while she says it would be OK, she wouldn't feel good about it. And I wouldn't feel good about it. DS and I will have to wait until we have another adult traveling with us, if that ever happens.

DD insists that she will do Radiator Springs, though. Should be interesting to see if that happens!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Did you do the Mickey Wheel? I am a little scared of that, and no way will I go on the swinging cars but may have to try the stationary ones.

The older I get, the more motion sickness I have! Its ridiculous!

Any dining recommendations? We are going to try the breakfast with Minnie. When we go to WDW we always do the dining plan so we do a lot of table service. At DL we are going to try to be somewhat frugal and stick to counter service in the park but splurge on one or two sit down places. I plan on hitting up Target and getting snacks, breakfast stuff, etc for our room. We will have a small fridge, toaster and microwave at Grand Californian.
May 2009 - POR Riverside
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
November 2011- SSR
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I just looked at your sig (again) and realized this is your first DL trip, right? Wow! How old is your son? And now I want to know when you are going (not to stalk you, but how funny would it be if we are there at the same time?). You can send it via private message, if you don't want to post it publicly.

I have never been on Mickey's Wheel Of Death, and I never plan on it! Ferris Wheels scare me. I am not a fan of heights at all.

I was reading back, and re-reading with the thought that this is your first trip to DLR, and I had another thought about Indy. It sounds like your son and husband will love it. I haven't been on Dinosaur at AK, but it is the same type of ride (completely different ride, but same type, much like TT and RSR being similar yet very different). There is a sudden big drop in Indy, and a lot of shaking and bouncing around as you are riding around in a Jeep type vehicle on bumpy terrain. There is suspense, and things jumping out at you etc. (don't want to ruin anything). You can always YouTube the ride and see what you think. I would definitely ride it again, if/when my kids wanted to ride it, but it might not be something we ride multiple times in a row.

Dining... let's see. I haven't done DLR gluten-free yet, just vegan. Minnie's is a GREAT character interaction opportunity. They have normal breakfast food, and I'm nearly positive they gave me allergen-free Mickey Waffles. Yes, yes they did because it was the only other breakfast we did and I remember thinking "Now why didn't they give me these at Surf's Up??" The characters are non-stop, so since you seem to have 2 adults and one child I'd suggest rotating who goes to get food and who stays at the table. We usually miss some characters because we have to run and throw food on our plates and run back because the characters seriously don't stop coming to your table. Then they come back again.

We try to do Minnie's for brunch on a Magic Morning Saturday, so we have a snack on our way to the park, cram in as many rides as we can, then go eat at around 10:15. By the time we are done, the park is getting really busy and we might hit a few less popular/fast loading rides, then head back to the hotel for the afternoon or head to DCA for a while then back to the hotel.

Blue Bayou (the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean) is a great place to dine, mostly for the ambiance but also for the food. They made me a wonderful pasta dish, which wasn't on the menu, that was probably the best meal I ate (I have a photo of it!) though that wasn't gluten-free. But if you eat meat, there are probably more options for you, and they have the BEST Monte Cristo, if your husband or son is into a deep fried grilled cheese (they can ask for it without meat). You will likely have leftovers, so I'd try to plan this meal for a time when you will be returning to your hotel so you can stash the leftovers in the fridge.

Goofy's Kitchen is a fun character meal at DLH. We've done dinner there, but it was a few years ago. It was fun for the kids, but we have skipped it just because we don't do many big breakfasts and I don't like doing dinner outside the parks. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking Goofy's, it is really more about not wanting to take time away from the parks.

We have not been to Storyteller's, and I think maybe we will try it this time, if the kids want to.

We like the Hungry Bear (counter service), but I don't think they have anything I can eat now, and I suspect the sweet potato fries are breaded (but I didn't ask, as I wasn't GF then). But it is a great place to sit outside and have a burger and enjoy the view of the water, the boats, the ducks, the people, etc.

I want to say Redd Rocket's has GF pizza and pasta, but I don't know for sure.

We have never been to French Market, Cafe Orleans, Carnation, etc.

If your son has no dietary restrictions and likes corn dogs, they have HUGE, delicious corn dogs at both parks. They are kind of famous, and worth trying for those who enjoy that sort of thing. I sure did when I ate them, and my kids both LOVE them; at home I buy them the veggie Morningstar Farms (still junk, but a special treat) but on vacation they get the real deal.

Wow, this is making me realize I need to do some reading about GF and vegan options. And reread Allearsnet, to build some ideas.

And I need to get back to posting photos! That's what everyone wants to see, right?

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

The next day was our first full Disney day. We seem to have started out in Fantasyland, riding Alice in Wonderland, which is one of our absolute favorite rides!! I don't have good photos from this time through, but I did get one of the Matterhorn, which was dark while we were there.

After Alice, we went to Star Tours. DD and DS love LOVE Star Wars, and DD was totally set to ride this... until we walked in. Then she started panicking. I did the wrong thing, and made her ride it. She was screaming and having a huge fit, and I felt bad but somehow I thought she would turn around. Well, at some point in the middle of the ride her screams of terror turned into laughs, and instead of screaming "GET ME OFF I WANT TO LEAVE HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!" she started screaming "HAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WAS SO FUNNY HAHAHAHA LOOK AT THAT GUY GIVE ME MY 3D GLASSES MOM HAHAHAHA I LOVE THIS RIDE!!!!!!" When the ride ended, the guy who had been sitting next to her looked at me and said "Good move, mom". I still have no idea whether he was being sarcastic or serious, but whatever. DD wouldn't ride it again, despite her claims to love the ride. When we went to WDW in December she didn't want to ride it, so she stayed with my mom while DS and I rode it. She swears she will do it on this trip, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Upon leaving Star Tours, we ran into this guy, rolling through Tomorrowland!

So then we headed to DCA. Now, DCA was under major construction, and this was what you saw upon walking in:

Wow. Such a difference from what it used to be, and such a difference from what it appears to look like now! Walk a little further, though, and you see this:

which kind of makes up for the previous view. The Little Mermaid ride had just opened, and I thought there would be long lines. We walked on. And then walked on again. And then walked on again. And then... wait for it... walked on again. The kids kept wanting to ride, and there was no line. I think we had a line once on our whole trip, and we must have gone on this ride 10 times.

After I tore my kids away from Ariel, they HAD to meet Duffy. DD had developed a mild obsession with him on our previous December trip, and this was the Vacation of Duffy.

She bought a Duffy, and outfit for Duffy, and a set of Duffy pins. And we got to witness the Asian obsession with Duffy, as a young Asian woman ahead of me in the checkout line at the Duffy store bought 16 Duffy keychains and asked for more. Sixteen Duffy keychains. I don't even know what to say about that.

So then I guess we hopped back over to DLR and headed to the Blue Bayou, via Adventureland.

The Blue Bayou is the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean, and it is the perfect escape on a hot summer day. Inside the Bayou it is cool, dark, and quiet. You can hear crickets chirping, loons calling, and a banjo playing quietly. And if you listen really closely, you can hear the screams from boats dropping into the darkness.

My favorite meal here was always the Monte Cristo. This is the ultimate sandwich: ham, turkey, 3 cheeses, extra bread, deep fried, and served with the surprising side of raspberry coulis. O...M...G. On my first visit, years ago, I got the regular sandwich minus the ham. On my next visit I got the regular sandwich minus all meat. This time, as a vegan, I couldn't even go near the Monte Cristo. I asked to speak with the chef, and he came out and discussed options. He offered the portobello mushroom dish from the menu, or a pasta and vegetable dish he could throw together. I chose the pasta, and I am SO glad I did! This was the absolute best meal I had on our trip, hands down.

It isn't this dark in there, but the lanterns are just so pretty I had to take a photo:

Lunch!!

After we stuffed ourselves, we strolled around New Orleans Square. This was a light inside one of the shops:

One of my favorite spots:

Then we decided to ride the train. I think we rode a full loop, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure there is an explanation somewhere, probably even in the narration as you ride through, but I still am not entirely sure why there are dinosaurs in Tomorrowland.

We must have done a full loop because we went on Jungle Cruise next. It was the kids' first time, and I hoped they wouldn't freak. They didn't! They actually loved it!

Then it was the Tiki Room:

I love this sign:

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

So, I have no idea what we did in the afternoon, or where we ate that night. We must have gone swimming or something, though. I do know we went to World of Color that night.

We got a horrible spot, and this was our view. See those bright lights down near the people? Apparently that's the "Real" show. We couldn't see any of it:

We still had a good night, though. We walked around:

Blew bubbles with the electric glowing bubble gun:

and rode Toy Story. We met a family in front of us, and their kids were about 4 years older than mine. Their DD offered to ride with DD, so she wouldn't have to sit alone on the back of the ride. That was so nice, and I hope my kids remember that and pay it forward some day. That's the kind of Disney magic that warms my heart, and makes up for disappointments like WoC.

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Great report! Thanks for posting all of these pics!!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Yes, this is our first time going to Disneyland and Southern California. I have been to San Francisco but never LA, etc and I am so excited! My son is 9...no dietary restrictions other than the ones he poses on himself! He hates anything squishy..like pasta or rice. He's thrilled with burgers and pizza so there is no problem with that. My husband is vegetarian not vegan so he has plenty of choices and is excited to try the fried green tomato sandwich at the Hungry Bear! I am just going to avoid the gluten the best I can but make an exception if I see something that I just have to take a bite of!

I chose Minnies because it seems to have the most characters, and we can have that experience without waiting in line to see anyone else. My son still collects autographs, but now he's gotten into pin trading.

We will be going there on the 17th...what about you? I am trying to figure out what days are better for the parks and when to go to LA, etc. I may avoid the weekend days at Disney and do Hollywood then. I think the kids in CA are back in school by then too, so that should help a little.

I am SO, SO, SO excited for Cars Land!

AllEars is a great site, and here on the dis there have been some great threads about GF/Vegan at WDW. Or check this out:

http://lauriesadowski.wordpress.com/...eport-part-ii/
May 2009 - POR Riverside
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
November 2011- SSR
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Hi!!

I am joining in. I saw your post on Molly's thread an decided to join along. I am thinking of adding San Diego to next years trip. I want to visit the zoo.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inthefamily View Post
Yes, this is our first time going to Disneyland and Southern California. I have been to San Francisco but never LA, etc and I am so excited! My son is 9...no dietary restrictions other than the ones he poses on himself! He hates anything squishy..like pasta or rice. He's thrilled with burgers and pizza so there is no problem with that. My husband is vegetarian not vegan so he has plenty of choices and is excited to try the fried green tomato sandwich at the Hungry Bear! I am just going to avoid the gluten the best I can but make an exception if I see something that I just have to take a bite of!

I chose Minnies because it seems to have the most characters, and we can have that experience without waiting in line to see anyone else. My son still collects autographs, but now he's gotten into pin trading.

We will be going there on the 17th...what about you? I am trying to figure out what days are better for the parks and when to go to LA, etc. I may avoid the weekend days at Disney and do Hollywood then. I think the kids in CA are back in school by then too, so that should help a little.

I am SO, SO, SO excited for Cars Land!

AllEars is a great site, and here on the dis there have been some great threads about GF/Vegan at WDW. Or check this out:

http://lauriesadowski.wordpress.com/...eport-part-ii/

I tried the fried green tomato sandwich when I was there in February and it was so good!! I will be having it again in November.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Awesome! New visitors! That's as good a reason as any to post some more photos. Might as well do that before we go again and I get further behind.

3inthefamily, we will arrive in DLR on the 14th, so we will have some overlap with you guys on your trip!

I so totally wish I could try the fried green tomato sandwich, but alas it has egg, and probably gluten too. I made my own fried (yellow heirloom) tomatoes the other day and they were amaaaaaaazing. So I'll just pretend that the HB sandwich wouldn't be as tasty and that I'm not missing anything .

Continuing Trip Report (from 2011)

So the next morning we woke up and were moving to the Disneyland Hotel! I had wanted to stay there ever since our first trip, and Disney gave me the opportunity by offering discounted rates. We could only afford a few days there, so we split the stay with a few days at Paradise Pier.

This is the cartoon room, near the front desk area. It is kind of a random thing, not as convenient as having cartoons in the lobby like DLH, but still it was a nice place to chill out for a bit.

We walked over to DLH with a hotel manager (coincidence, he wasn't escorting us or anything) and chatted about how awesome and lovely our stay had been at PPH and how much we were looking forward to staying at the DLH.

Our room wasn't ready, so we checked our things with the bell desk and went to DCA via Downtown Disney. We stopped in at the Lego Store, of course, but went on to DCA.

We went to the Animators Studio first. We had been there to see Turtle Talk, and we had met characters there, but we hadn't been in the Sorcerer's Workshop. I am SO glad we did!!

There are SO MANY interesting things to do in there! The kids were mesmerized!

The kids got a little spooked when the library would go dark:

But then it was all good again:

They liked finding out which character they were:

DD was Tinkerbell, and DS was Woody. I wonder if that will be the same this year?

We went on one of our other favorite rides: Monsters Inc. This ride is never busy, yet it is such a great ride! I mean, it isn't a thrill ride by any means, but it is an awesomely detailed tribute to the movie.

Next we did Muppet Vision, which is always a good time

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

We've never been on GRR, but we love to watch the rafts and admire the scenery around the ride:

We do love the Redwood Creek Trail, though.

The kids got all of their badges, which was fun!

DS loved the zipline, but DD was not a fan. DS wanted to do it again and again.

They loved climbing up, walking on the bridges, exploring, etc.

After this, we headed back to catch the Phineas and Ferb dance party! While waiting for it to begin we started talking to a family near us. They were a mom and 2 kids, like us, and they were super friendly. We had been given magical Fastpasses at the hotel, but my kids (well, DD) wouldn't ride any FP rides, so they were useless to us. So after the dance party I gave them our magical FPes and explained that they could use them anywhere on any FP ride including Star Tours, which they said they really liked and which had super long lines. At some point we also gave away Star Tours Fastpasses, because we weren't going to use them. I love doing it, but I hate when I give them to someone who doesn't understand it. We gave the ST ones to 3 people who were waiting in the standby line, and they didn't leave the line. I don't think they understood what they were given. Ugh!

Anyway, Phineas and Ferb rocked out and threw an awesome party!

My kids were the first ones picked to go out and dance!

They got to dance with P and F too, and they all posed with the kids for a group photo, which was cute.

After that, we were hungry, so it was time for a corn dog (for the kids).

We got a text that our room was ready, so we walked back around to the DLH. Had to stop and look at this though:

So we got to the DLH and headed up to our room! We had a view of the pool construction, which was fine because it was actually interesting to see the "in progress" stage. And, I mean, it is the DISNEYLAND HOTEL. My dream hotel. And I was excited that I could come back to the Dis and share up to date constructions photos. Seriously. That's the kind of geek I am. Also I have photos of when they drained the water at DCA to install WoC, and those are a cool piece of history IMO, so I figured this was also a cool piece of history. Geek? Me? Well.... maybe. A little.

The sofa bed:

Pool under construction:

DS was a little freaked out by these, but I thought they were cool:

We headed down to the pool so DS could hit the water slides and DD could swim. I had to try the slides, too! The top one was really twisty and fast, and the middle one is less twisty but short. I kind of like the PPH one better, to be honest, but DS eventually found that he liked the top monorail slide. They had life vests there, so he was happy with that because the top slide ends in a small pool of water, where the other one (and the PPH one) just ends in a half tube full of water like the one at PPH.

Trader Sam's at night:

After swimming we went back up to the room to change, and grabbed dinner from Tangaroa Terrace (counter service). We may have picked it up on the way up to the room, I don't know.

Our headboard at night:

Me DD 10 DS 8

Last edited by nancy drew; 07-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
kaoden39
Hugs

They have a jicama-mango slaw that I know they serve with the sandwiches and on the sandwich that is rather zesty and tasty. I don't know if you can buy it as a side dish but if you can try it I recommend it highly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: