Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #376
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Flame Tree is awesome... I think it's the best CS at AK and definitely in the top 3 in all the parks...

Your photos in the Asia section of AK reminded me of why that park is so amazing... the attention to all those details -especially in Asia and Africa...absolutely evocative of another place... like a vacation in a vacation...

Hmmm...you might have convinced me on trying Flights of Wonder...somehow we've always missed it and ironically I like the owls (I think that Hedwig in HP is beautiful)... It's the other birds that wig me out... but I think I might have to get over it... (Think Hitchcock's the Birds- great film, not a good pr piece for birds in general...) But I'm willing to be convinced so I think we'll give it a try...

(But I'm sitting in the back...)

Waiting for more

PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #377
Self_resqing_princz
Mouseketeer

When's the next update? I can't wait to hear about your next meal!

2007/2010 WL
2013- split stay POR(RS) & WL

Current PTR/TR Setpember 2013: Doing Disney by the book... or rather- list. Marking off our Disney Bucket Lists!
[URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3151964"]Moose & Goose do Disney -or- The 5th anniversary is the Disney Trip anniversary

Self_resqing_princz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #378
Merida
DIS Veteran

Loving your Animal Kingdom pictures! On our last time in AK, we did, like, none of these things so it's nice to see them. In fact, I think the only thing we did do was stand around watching the owl man because I love owls. We were skipping out on everything else to go Expedition Everest, heh.

I really want to go see Flights of Wonder now! I wasn't sure how cheesy it would be (I've seen some really awful bird shows) but it seems like they have a nice variety of birds. Also I love chickens, I find them completely and utterly hilarious.

Basically YAY AK! I'd totally work there, tourists with boring questions and all.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #379
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

Rachel, Great updates. I was way behind as I was in India for work for a month. Caught back up and looking forward to more.

A few comments:

Undertand where you are coming from on the nail polish. I also am too cheap to pay for mani/pedis when I can do them myself.

Haven't eaten at Flame Tree BBQ for a few years. Glad to hear it is still good. Might have to eat there next month.

We have never seen the Flights of Wonder show. Might also have to do that next month.

Looking forward to reading more!

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Disneybuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #380
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Qtz0205 View Post
My daughter loves birds, so Flights of Wonder is on our to-do list for this trip. I, however, am not a fan of birds, especially birds flying over my head! I will stifle my screams for her.
Haha, think of it as a learning experience! I'd suggest sitting in the bleachers but not near the center aisle. Then you'll be fine. From what I remember in the two times I've seen it, the birds don't fly over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeene71 View Post
eeekkk! I hate birds, one pooped on me on the Galveston ferry and now I RUN when I see pigeons or any type of low flying monster. In all the 8 trips I've gone on we've never been and I have no plans on doing it. I have also never seen the boats in Asia...that area in your pictures is beautiful. I will make sure to stop and look around for a change when we go back. We are always in so much of a hurry to get somewhere I never stop.
Oh, and I will definately read all the PTRs and TRs...I have many boring work days.
Pigeons are creepy because they just don't seem afraid of people! Nowadays you can stomp your feet all you want, and they don't move away.

Hope my former PTRs and TRs have been entertaining you especially since I haven't updated this one in a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
An angklung? That's so cool! I'm fascinated by that sort of thing.

AHHHHHH and you have a video!!! Oh my goodness, I want an angklung for Christmas! I wish that person in the background of the video would quiet down though! They just don't stop! I want to hear the beautiful angklung!

Ahhh... the yapping person in the background has been revealed! I'm no longer annoyed.

I've always wanted to see Flights of Wonder! It looks great.
I think it was great that someone was playing at that time because otherwise we totally would've just bypassed it and never known about it. Haha, I had to laugh though because I listened to the video again to find out who it was that was talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen27 View Post
Your last two updates are all things I haven't done or seen at animal kingdom!

That lunch looks really good, some of my favorite foods! Now I really want onion rings. Sorry they were'nt as good as the previous trip though. I've never tried Flame Tree, though I've wanted to for years. Everyone else always wants pizza.

Beautiful photos of Animal Kingdom!
Flights of Wonder looks fun, and the angklung is really cool.
I like pizza as much as the next person, but on vacation, it just doesn't entice me as much for some reason. I think I like pizza with movies, haha. We did end up ordering delivery later during our honeymoon because we just wanted to relax in the room! Hope you get to try new places!

Flights of Wonder really is a magnificent show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 729tink View Post
I've never seen the show, but now I think I must go next time! Great pictures!
The show leaves me in awe! It's amazing how much you can learn without even realizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Great videos you shared! Thank you!
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
What fun to see those videos! I know some people are 'skeered' of birds, but I think they are fascinating. And the teacher in me is always ready to learn new things.
They really are fascinating, and I completely agree with you about absorbing all that knowledge especially as teachers! I love mentioning things that I learn from Disney when I'm teaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
oooh, ribs in the slow cooker are delish. I get where you are coming from. WE had a BBQ at our house over the weekend, specifically for my friend who lives in a condo but was craving some Thai chicken wings. So she marinated them and brought them over for us to put on the grill. So good. And we also had some delicious marinated pork belly and beef (korean bbq style). Prety sure my arteries clogged from all of the eating, but so good. Again, fighting off my little girlie for the ribs and now the pork bulgogi.

never saw the Flights of wonder show, but sounds cool.

I enjoy AK so much more when it's not a hundred degrees out. It's hard to take in all the details when there is sweat dripping in your eyes.
Yum, I really have to take advantage of my slow cooker! It's still in the box ...

We're going back in December during Christmas!!! I can't believe that we'll be there, but I'm excited to explore AK when it's cool out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Flame Tree is awesome... I think it's the best CS at AK and definitely in the top 3 in all the parks...

Your photos in the Asia section of AK reminded me of why that park is so amazing... the attention to all those details -especially in Asia and Africa...absolutely evocative of another place... like a vacation in a vacation...

Hmmm...you might have convinced me on trying Flights of Wonder...somehow we've always missed it and ironically I like the owls (I think that Hedwig in HP is beautiful)... It's the other birds that wig me out... but I think I might have to get over it... (Think Hitchcock's the Birds- great film, not a good pr piece for birds in general...) But I'm willing to be convinced so I think we'll give it a try...

(But I'm sitting in the back...)

Waiting for more

I can't wait to go back to Flame Tree again! It's so delicious!

It'll wonderful getting to explore AK when it's cooler out. I don't like dealing with it in the heat!

It's definitely worth a viewing if you've never seen the show before! Haha, yup, just sit in the bleachers area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self_resqing_princz View Post
When's the next update? I can't wait to hear about your next meal!
The next meal is ... um, I think Yak & Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
Loving your Animal Kingdom pictures! On our last time in AK, we did, like, none of these things so it's nice to see them. In fact, I think the only thing we did do was stand around watching the owl man because I love owls. We were skipping out on everything else to go Expedition Everest, heh.

I really want to go see Flights of Wonder now! I wasn't sure how cheesy it would be (I've seen some really awful bird shows) but it seems like they have a nice variety of birds. Also I love chickens, I find them completely and utterly hilarious.

Basically YAY AK! I'd totally work there, tourists with boring questions and all.
Thanks! I guess it's easier for us to catch the stuff you missed because we skip Expedition Everest, haha.

Those chickens were pretty gosh darn awesome! The show did have some cheese in it, but it wasn't to the point where I actually noticed it that much. It was the right amount of Disney cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybuckeye View Post
Rachel, Great updates. I was way behind as I was in India for work for a month. Caught back up and looking forward to more.

A few comments:

Undertand where you are coming from on the nail polish. I also am too cheap to pay for mani/pedis when I can do them myself.

Haven't eaten at Flame Tree BBQ for a few years. Glad to hear it is still good. Might have to eat there next month.

We have never seen the Flights of Wonder show. Might also have to do that next month.

Looking forward to reading more!
Oh wow, I hope you had a great time in India even if you had to work.

I don't know that I will EVER have a real mani/pedi because you'd think the one time I'd do it would be my wedding, haha. It's just not for me. I'd rather spend it on a Disney souvenir, haha. Although I admit it'd be cool if they could do Disney-themed nails!

Mmm, Flame Tree is definitely delish!

Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (Disneymoon TR in progress)
Saving Dole Whip Float Money - PTR for Feb 2011 // Delicious Indeed! - TR for February 2011
It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! - PTR for April 2010 // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon - TR for April 2010
A DISer's Trip of Firsts! - TR for Feb 2008 // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! - Living the Life Outside of VMK

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #381
RachelNinja

Trekking through the Jungle

After Flights of Wonder, Howard and I decided to explore the Maharajah Jungle Trek. We had done the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail just a month earlier in April, so we wanted to be able to experience both. I have to say that we definitely enjoyed Pangani more just because it was cooler! It will definitely be much more fun exploring all these trails when it isn't sweltering hot when we go in December.

Wait, what did I say? December? Um, YEAH. We are going back for the third time this year during Christmas!!! Yay for annual passes! We are getting our money's worth out of these babies! Haha, I'm totally digressing, but I just had to throw that in there.

Anyway, we had some time to spend watching the gibbons.

We were standing there for quite a while because they were so fun to watch especially once we saw the little baby hanging from the highest tree!

Then the baby went to the mother and clung to her (the males are black and the females are golden). Even though we were hanging out in the heat, I was really entertained.

VIDEO: Gibbons at Animal Kingdom I
Dear me, I apologize for the EXTREME New York accent (especially from the part of NY I'm from) when I talked about the baby and said the word "small."

VIDEO: Gibbons at Animal Kingdom II
You can better see how well that baby gibbon moved! Everyone around us was saying, "Wow!" and then you can hear the teeniest kid say, "I want one!" that made us all chuckle.

We then moved on into the trek and looked for whatever this was.

But we didn't see a thing. Haha. I don't remember if we were looking for the komodo dragon or something. I was interested in seeing it just because of Kingdom Keepers!

Um, anything here? Haha, I now understand why people have tons of pictures of like, nothing on their trip reports when they go to Animal Kingdom!

Well, we did see bats here! This was probably one of the places I really wanted to see because of how important it was in the second Kingdom Keepers book. I wanted to see how Charlene (I think it was her) stayed on the stilts against the wall.

Those bats are pretty large! I know there was the passage to skip it, but despite being scared of a TON of other animals, bats are not one of them. Haha, at least not yet.

I just had to have Howard take a picture of the big slots between bars! I know they're there so that the bats stay in there own area and can't fly through, but I had to show you all how separated the bars are because my wonderful hubby has quite a large head, but even HE could stick his head through if he wanted to!

We moved on to the next area. That meant moving into the heat.

I was excited though to know we were going to see the tigers! Again, it's another Kingdom Keepers reference, but I don't want to spoil it all. I was trying to look for certain areas, but I was a little confused. I think I need to reread the book now that I know what AK looks like!

Look, a hidden Mickey in the water! I love seeing hidden Mickeys even when I've seen other people post pictures of them. It's like, extra magical in person!

Wow, look at the lovely atmosphere! I definitely want to explore this stuff more in the future.

There was a tiger there by the wall, and I stayed and watched for as long as I could before the heat started getting me super sweaty. I don't know how people deal with AK in the summer months since this was only May!

(continued in next post)

Saving Dole Whip Float Money - PTR for Feb 2011 // Delicious Indeed! - TR for February 2011
It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! - PTR for April 2010 // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon - TR for April 2010
A DISer's Trip of Firsts! - TR for Feb 2008 // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! - Living the Life Outside of VMK

Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #382
RachelNinja

(continued from previous post)

When we moved on to the next section, we had quite a laugh.

I made a comment about whether that thing was either a rock or an animal! Haha, it was a LOT funnier when we were there, but at this moment, I don't remember the exact phrasing. Howard thought I was such a silly, so I had to take a picture of it.

More of the tiger area!

I'd love to see all the tigers roaming around. I wonder if we'd have to go in the morning to see them in action.

For those of you who have read my past TRs, you know how I have a tendency to hold the camera in my hand and click the button without even realizing it. At this point of our adventure, there were a TON of these!

Even when I'm teaching, I constantly uncap the dry erase marker and snap it back over and over again (my kids pointed it out to me). When I'm teaching or observing or enjoying, I don't realize that my hands have a mind of their own!

Gorgeous environment!

Isn't it funny to think that all this stuff was man made? I mean, you can really imagine that you're out exploring (haha, other than that garbage can in the background).

Another tiger ... haha, you really can't see it in these pictures, but of course, we had to take 'em anyway!

I wonder what it'd be like to be on the inside looking out.

We moved to the bird area. I was a little hesitant just because I didn't want any birds flying near me, but thankfully, these birds just hang out.

Even on the low walls! I was leaning forward to look at a certain birdhouse when I looked down and this was within a foot of me! Just lying down there! I wasn't sure if the bird was hurt or not, but I wasn't about to touch it, of course. A few seconds later when I walked away to look for a CM, a little kid just went up to it and grabbed it! It then flew away, but I couldn't believe that the parents were okay with it! Uh, this is not a petting zoo!

Fountain.

I wonder what could hide amidst all that foliage!

Howard took this picture of me ...

... while I was taking a picture of this! The chains were really interesting. I like seeing how they keep certain animals in certain areas.

Last detail shot of a light fixture ... haha, you know that Howard took this with his love of Disney light fixtures!

Okay, so I finally got back to updating. I know the treks aren't necessarily the most interesting because I don't have many stories to tell, but it really was fun! We just went through it really quickly because being out in the heat was NOT fun. I can't wait to go back in December!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #383
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Yay for more Animal Kingdom! The animal trails are always so fun to explore.

I am so jealous you get to go in December...you guys are definitely getting your money's worth out of your APs! If only I didn't have to cancel the Dec. trip I had planned...we could've maybe had another DIS meet. Hopefully if Emma extends her CP I'll be able to go NEXT December. Oh man, you guys are going to love it. The Christmas decorations are amazing. It will be crowded but so worth it. Are you going to be staying on property again?
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #384
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Yay for a December trip! Don't you love AP's? They are the reason I got a bonus December trip last year! I'm going to miss mine, it expires on October 5. Brandon actually got an email today inviting us to the Fantasyland AP preview, and he called me at work to ask if I knew about it () and when our AP's expire...I said they expire on the 5th, but we could always renew them...he said ok until I told him how much it was to renew! Got my hopes up there for a minute...oh well!

I love Animal Kingdom, but it is really hot there, we skipped it in May, and I'm glad we did since it was a billion degrees while we were there!

I love your pictures of the trail (or trek, whatever it's called!), we went through one of them in December (I think?) and it was cute. I like the tiger part, but I can do without the bats!

I tried reading the Kingdom Keepers books, but I just can't seem to get into the first one for some reason! I keep waiting for something to happen! Although I haven't gotten very far...it's been sitting on my shelf at work for months, I should try it again!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #385
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm getting all caught up, so this might be quite a post. LOL.

Wow, that's great that you had no trouble falling asleep the night before the wedding. To me, that means you weren't too nervous, which is great.

I hate false lashes, but they really do make a huge difference for photos.

Your hair looks gorgeous! I'm so so jealous of how beautiful your hair is.

You can absolutely see how joyful you guys are in those pictures. It's so great.

I do the same thing with my hands when I'm nervous! I fiddle with my rings. I can't tell you how many rings I've dropped on the ground because of my stupid habit.

Beautiful vows, absolutely beautiful.

You're not the only one who doesn't like posed shots. Natural is always best. But you still look beautiful in that one where you said your hand looks like a claw.

Chocolate cake with peanut butter sounds absolutely divine, and the cake looks awesome.

Girl, ain't no shame in having dinner with your parents on the first day you're married.

McGriddles are so bad, but oh so good.

Hahahahaha. I almost died at your "a lot of women poop in airports comment", because dude, seriously, I've thought the same thing!

Skymall is great, and I'm always fascinated by everything in it. I would totally be that person that buys something too.

MCO is one of my favorite airports. It's just so pretty and clean to me. Such a far cry from my Chicago airports.

I knew you guys were going to Chik-Fil-A! That's totally where I would have gone too.

Soda and fried food go together beautifully! Just like alcohol and Taco Bell.....

That was awesome that Joanna sold you guys DVC points.

I love AKL and I think it's great that is the resort you were able to stay at for your first time staying on property.

My Mom and I had to rush over to Kidani from Jambo house one year too. We made reservations at Sanaa, and our plane was delayed also, so we were hauling it over there in the heat.

Your hair looks so cute!

Oh, the bread service at Sanaa is to die for. I love it! Love love love.

You're so funny about the rice pilaf. That's my favorite rice. I don't know why, but I've loved it since I was little.

The thing that's great about Sanaa is that their portion sizes aren't insane like most other restaurants at Disney. Gives you the chance to really enjoy everything.

Agreed, to really appreciate AKL you have to go and see it in person.

Nothing wrong with hitting ITTBAB for your first attraction on the honeymoon. Location to food is very important.

Those mad hatter mugs are too cute!

Yay for you guys going back in December! That's awesome.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #386
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Yay! I am so glad you get to go back in december! It will be much nicer at AK. Maybe you will even have time to re-read the book! I really need to read them before I go next Oct. I haven't read any of them!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #387
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

It's so funny watching the videos and hearing the screams from the EE riders, seeing people riding Kali River Rapids in the background, and then seeing the gibbons. It makes you realize how amazing Animal Kingdom really is!!

I think the trails are definitely hit or miss, but you can definitely see some amazing things there!
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #388
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Hooray! We'll be there in December too! I'm buying an AP for this trip and my DFi has a 10 day non-expiration pass. We're planning on going back in September/October next year, but I'm hopeful we may get a long weekend trip between now and then... I mean, hey, it's FREE!

Love the update! I love wandering around Animal Kingdom. December is definitely the best time to be at Animal Kingdom, though. I hated when we used to go in August . We're having a welcome party breakfast at the Tamu Tamu Courtyard in Animal Kingdom and I think I'm most excited about exploring the area. Well, that and the Mickey waffles .

Can't wait to read more!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #389
jane2073
Mother of an eight-year-old dinosaur expert. :)

We love Animal Kingdom! It is the most thoroughly themed park.

We have been on a hiatus from the parks but are getting passes again in November. I can't wait!
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #390
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

We love the Maharajah Jungle Trek. The theming back there is the BEST! But I must say, it always feels 10x hotter than the rest of the park!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: