Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #436
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynypixie View Post
Like I said in another thread, it makes me laugh when people say it's cold in february.

Dude, I'm from Montréal. I live under 6 feet of snow in february. 50's are nowhere near cold. You can't even see your breath at that weather!
Exactly!! We live in Manitoba, so I get what you mean 100%!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
204charity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #437
AHullMN
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Like I said in another thread, it makes me laugh when people say it's cold in february.

Dude, I'm from Montréal. I live under 6 feet of snow in february. 50's are nowhere near cold. You can't even see your breath at that weather!
That made me laugh. I'm in MinneSNOWta - a little south of you - but yeah, 50s in Feb would be short sleeves and no coats around here.

AHullMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #438
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Quote:

I'm from Minnesota, so I'm no stranger to -20 below zero PLUS a windchill. However, a word of experience. We went to Disney in Dec. 2010 during a record cold snap, with lows in the upper 20s and highs only in the mid-30s. Everything at home is set up for cold weather. When we were in Disney it wasn't that way. Plus, we were outside a lot more. We checked the long term forecast and packed accordingly. We were so glad to have all our hats and gloves.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #439
lovemesomepooh
Want to be Disney bound

Its official,

we have booked at POP for February 5-13.

February 6th dinner at Garden Grill
February 7th dinner at Chef Mickeys
February 8th dinner at Arkersus
February 9th dinner at Portobellos (DTD)
February 10th dinner at 1900 fare
February 11th lunch at hollywood and vine
February 12th dinner at crystal palace

Me: 37 Fiance: 36 DD: 8 DS: 6

February 2013 POP SURPRISE TRIP for kids
January/February 2012 POP My kids FIRST trip to Disney!!!
December/January 2000-2001 off site
March 1990 off site
several other times as a child stayed off site
lovemesomepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #440
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Continuing with the weather theme, how do you pack for February? I was thinking layers and warm socks.

BTW, does the resorts offer extra blankets? I know, I know it's a laughable matter for some, but being from below the equator line anything below 55F is indeed too cold for me!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #441
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Make fun of me if you will re my comment a few days ago that some days can be cold at WDW. My avatar photo was Taken Dec. 14, 2010 in AK a little after 8 am. We are wearing fleeces under those windbreakers and all the layers were needed. Orlando had a few record breaking lows that week and the trees turned colors and the leaves dropped off. Some Spirit of Aloha and Hoop De Doo shows were cancelled because of the cold temperatures. If "cold" temperatures are predicted the key is to pack for dressing in layers.

LucyBC80 - it was always plenty warm in our Disney accommodations. I don't remember if there were extra blankets. I'm usually too warm in the room to use the duvet, just use the sheet.
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #442
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

I was in Miami from December 1-6 2010 and temperatures were as low as 35F during the day, actually reaching 28F one night. The hotel we're staying at ran out of blankets and me and my friends had to share the bed so we could use each others blanket. Not the weather I was expecting at all and our cruise truly suffered a lot because of the low temps. I had NOT packed for that! So now I'm extra careful and always plan with cold fronts in mind.

So if you see two ladies walking around the park with scarfs, gloves and hats and the temperature is below 50F don't forget to say hello because it'll be me and my mom!

Thanks Kathy, we'll probably bring a fleece blanket just in case!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #443
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80
Continuing with the weather theme, how do you pack for February? I was thinking layers and warm socks.

BTW, does the resorts offer extra blankets? I know, I know it's a laughable matter for some, but being from below the equator line anything below 55F is indeed too cold for me!
Feb is unpredictable. When we went in 2011 it was in the 80's and in 2012 it went from being in the 80's our first park day to 60's and windy on our last park day. At night of course it's cooler so go with layers. Pack shorts as well as jeans, you may use both.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #444
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

DIsneystore.com has nice long sleeve thermals on sale! I think the kids were about $9.00 and the adult sizes were about $12 (can't remember the exact price since we got a discount with our Disney Visa card) They are cute!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #445
them2854
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
SO not happy with the dates for the cheer/dance competition.

Feb. 9-10 is the Cheerleading competition
Feb. 15-18 - Twirl Mania

I'll basically be surrounded by cheerleaders my whole vacation.

They stay on value resorts right? or do they stay on the moderates as well?
Oh man I didn't know about this. We're planning on being there 7-15. I checked Disney's site and it seems the cheerleading competition is at Hollywood Studios, guess we'll be avoiding that park those days.

I don't have enough posts yet to post the link,
espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/cheer/uca-highschool-national-championships/planning-tools

I also am guessing this will mean no specials, like free dining, those dates.
Which is why we haven't booked yet. Guess it's safe to say I can go ahead and book now.

11/2008 * 4/2011 * 2/2013 - POP
DD-4 DS-15
them2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #446
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by them2854

Oh man I didn't know about this. We're planning on being there 7-15. I checked Disney's site and it seems the cheerleading competition is at Hollywood Studios, guess we'll be avoiding that park those days.

I don't have enough posts yet to post the link,
espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/cheer/uca-highschool-national-championships/planning-tools

I also am guessing this will mean no specials, like free dining, those dates.
Which is why we haven't booked yet. Guess it's safe to say I can go ahead and book now.
I wouldn't worry too much. I saw on EasyWDW that it shouldn't impact the parks too much. He says its not a large competition. I'll be there 9th-15th so I panicked a bit till I looked into it more.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #447
them2854
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. I saw on EasyWDW that it shouldn't impact the parks too much. He says its not a large competition. I'll be there 9th-15th so I panicked a bit till I looked into it more.
Awesome! The crowd levels look pretty good. I'm not too worried. I'll just have to keep an eye on my 14 yr old son.

11/2008 * 4/2011 * 2/2013 - POP
DD-4 DS-15
them2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #448
NandK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by them2854

Awesome! The crowd levels look pretty good. I'm not too worried. I'll just have to keep an eye on my 14 yr old son.
At least you will know right where to find him!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #449
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

C'mon FD for our Mardi Gras trip!! I need a Disney fix.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #450
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We are staying at the WL from Feb 6th to the 11th and could not be more excited. We have stayed in all the deluxe hotels except WL and AKL so far. So this will be a totally new experience for us. Now if they would just add free dining, we would be ecstatic.

As far as weather goes, we have been to WDW many times in January and have gotten both the low 80's and the record cold freezing temperatures. It is pretty miserable in most of the parks when it is really cold because most of the rides, stores and some of the restaurants aren't heated. So we learned to bring our winter clothes with us. We live in Chicago, and we are used to cold weather, but we also have heated buildings here. Disney's lack of heat can make things uncomfortable. So, we are trying for early February in hopes that we miss the coldest weather. Anything above 55 degrees will be fine. The hotels are always warm enough.

We have also been at WDW when the cheer leading competitions were going on. The only inconvenience we noticed was a whole lot of enthusiastic teens at Epcot one night. Otherwise, they are busy doing their thing somewhere else.
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney world planning, february 2013

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: