Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #361
204charity
DIS Veteran

I am planning a schedule for my best friend and her family, they are all disney first-timers and have asked me to do their blueprint for their trip. They are booked at AKV/DVC Rental from February 8 - February 15, 2013.

Will look forward to sharing my ideas with you all! (Then next, it will be my return trip to WDW to start planning!)
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
November, 2014 - Paradisus La Esmeralda, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR

Last edited by 204charity; 08-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.
204charity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #362
Beaniesmg
Mouseketeer

I've never gone in February, and contiplating Feb 2-8 or Feb 24-March 2. Looks like the first date has lower resort rates. Wonder why?

Also, I hesitate to pay for a deluxe if it's going to be too cold to use the pool. I know the weather is iffy.

I'd rather wait till June, by put my ds28 wants to go when the crowds are lower.

Any input from your experiences?
Beaniesmg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #363
ThreeKMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniesmg View Post
I've never gone in February, and contiplating Feb 2-8 or Feb 24-March 2. Looks like the first date has lower resort rates. Wonder why?

Also, I hesitate to pay for a deluxe if it's going to be too cold to use the pool. I know the weather is iffy.

I'd rather wait till June, by put my ds28 wants to go when the crowds are lower.

We haven't been in February in a very long time (18 years?)
We are currently booked 2/3 - 2/9 because the rates were lower, Presidents week and possibly the marathon cause the rates to go up.

When we were there before in Feb. we only swam 1 day because it was too cool, but I wouldn't rule out the pool completely (all Disney pools are heated!).

However, we have decided that it isn't worth it to pay for a deluxe this time because we want to focus more on the parks, if we get a really hot day we can always just head back for a quick swim but we are not planning on it. When we stay deluxe we plan at least 3 - 4 hours for pool time each day!

Since we are staying at Pop this time we will plan more park time and basically just sleep at the resort. Also, the park hours are a little shorter at this time of year.

Love & Pixie Dust
ThreeKMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #364
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Quote:

We were there last year the second week of February. It was plenty warm enough to swim. I would guess if you went on the latter dates you'd have ample opportunity to swim. I think once you get a bit later, you start to see the early spring break crowds, which might be why the rates are a bit higher.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #365
welches
Earning My Ears

My family and I are planning to stay at Bonnett Creek from 2/16-2/24. We are hoping to do the Family 5K and kid races for the Marathon weekend. I have been reading that this will be a very packed week because it is Presidents day week. Anyone know if that is true? If its going to be super busy I would rather skip the marathon weekend and go at a less crowded time.
welches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #366
jburd
Earning My Ears

Got ADRs Today

Yay!! Travel agent just emailed me with my info:

02/28 Biergarten lunch
03/01 Crystal Palace lunch
03/02 Akershus dinner
03/03 Tusker House breakfast
03/04 Sci Fi Dine In lunch

I've purchased my plane tickets and travel insurance, as well. Everything is coming together nicely!!! I can see that the waiting is not going to be easy. I've never planned a vacation this far in advance....it's unbearable!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #367
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Quote:

The earlier date falls under Disney's value season. The rates change to a combination of peak season & President's weekend on the Thursday before President's Day, which happens to be on Valentine's Day in 2013. President's weekend has its own price structure in effect the 15th - 17th. The 18th to 21st go back to peak weekday rates and the 22nd and 23rd are peak weekend rates. President's week is always busier and the end of that week is Marathon weekend so it will stay busy at that time. Those rates are all established on how easy WDW figures it will be to fill their rooms at any given time.

This past February was warm enough to enjoy the heated pools without freezing when you got out, but in 2010 & 2011 FL had very cold weather in February. Also, our 2010 WDW early December week hit record lows that closed the water park (in winter months usually only one is kept open) and cancelled the luau some nights. We were there for all the Christmas decorations etc. so we didn't really mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welches View Post
My family and I are planning to stay at Bonnett Creek from 2/16-2/24. We are hoping to do the Family 5K and kid races for the Marathon weekend. I have been reading that this will be a very packed week because it is Presidents day week. Anyone know if that is true? If its going to be super busy I would rather skip the marathon weekend and go at a less crowded time.
Yes, the beginning dates of your current Bonnett Creek stay will be crowded at WDW. If you moved it to begin almost a week later it would be perfect. Look at this estimated crowd calender from Undercover Tourist and you'll see what I mean: http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-opening-hours

Last edited by Kathy Z; 09-01-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarification
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #368
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
Yay!! Travel agent just emailed me with my info:

02/28 Biergarten lunch
03/01 Crystal Palace lunch
03/02 Akershus dinner
03/03 Tusker House breakfast
03/04 Sci Fi Dine In lunch

I've purchased my plane tickets and travel insurance, as well. Everything is coming together nicely!!! I can see that the waiting is not going to be easy. I've never planned a vacation this far in advance....it's unbearable!!!
Yay for you! I don't know about you, but when I got my ADR's, it helps make the trip more real to me. Even if it is still 6 months away! The plane tickets definitely mean I'm committed, but the ADR's are way more fun.

Of your five mentioned, we only did Biergarten last year and found it to be very enjoyable. I like that your trip includes Epcot visits twice.
1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR, Why Do I Have To Ride By Myself? Feb/Mar 2014 TR
pld5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #369
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
I've been end of Feb and was able to swim. For those who've gone early Feb, were you able to swim?
We go almost every year during the last week of Feb. We have had a huge range of weather expereinces- it's tough to predict what it will be like. We've had trips where we wear sweatshirts all day and others when we're very comfortable in t-shirts and shorts. Our kids usually swim no matter what the weather- how long they stay in the water is another thing!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #370
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
Questions (we are on the dining plan):

2) I like to always add new ones. All the Epcot would be new to us, so which one: Coral Reef, Biergarten, Chefs. We are a family with two young girls. Which one?

4) The one that we always do, but can’t fit it in is Chef Mickeys. Need to decide if I should drop Whispering Canyon, which would have been a new one and have been wanting to see that resort.

The atmosphere at Coral Reef can't be compared to the others. It's beautiful and amazing. You'll never eat anywhere like it. I think your girls would love it. That being said, I have not found the food to be all that good. It looks and sounds good, but I haven't been impressed with the fish I've had there. I still choose to eat there because it's such a beautiful place, but if the food is really important to you, you might be disappointed.

On the other hand- Biergarten is also fun for young kids. The band is fun and it's a great chance for the kids to get up and dance around. Again, I've never had a good meal here. The food is ok, but nothing that I have really enjoyed.

Check out the menus for both. If your kids are like mine, it's all about the chicken nuggets and pizza anyway and you can get that at both places.

Between the two, I'd say if you want an elegant, beautiful one of a kind setting, choose Coral Reef; if you want a fun environment where the kids can get up and dance around, choose Biergarten.

Good luck! I think you'll be happy with your choice no matter what.

If you've never eaten at Whispering Canyon before I think youand the kids would enjoy it. It's fun and entertaining. The food is good and portions are great.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #371
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
Feb 27-March 6 Boardwalk Inn

So excited!! Last year, my son (13) and I went to the Universal Parks. We had so much fun, we decided we must come back for WDW. I've never been, so I may have many questions. And any and all hints and tips are appreciated!

This trip will be me, my BFF, my son (will turn 14 on the trip), and his BFF.

You are going to love the Boardwalk! It's my favorite resort! The walk to into EPCOT can't be beat.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #372
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosQ102 View Post
Crystal Palace with Pooh & friends is lovely, but if you want the traditional characters (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Daisy) you can't beat Tusker House. The food is great too - the usual breakfast fare and lots of different flavours. The restaurant itself is beautiful too, and if you get a seating before opening, walking through an almost empty Animal Kingdom is really rather magical.

Have a wonderful time, wherever you end up going
Haven't ever eaten at Tusker House and was wondering why everyone was making such a big deal about getting ADRs...... now I get it! Thanks!! I love the early breakfast reservation that gets you into the park before opening. We always do this with Crystal Palace.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #373
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

We'll be there 2/23-3/1. Not sure where we're staying yet, might do off site even though we love staying on property. It is going to be a SURPRISE trip for the kids! Planning is so fun!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #374
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom
We'll be there 2/23-3/1. Not sure where we're staying yet, might do off site even though we love staying on property. It is going to be a SURPRISE trip for the kids! Planning is so fun!
Good to know you have had past trips the last week of February and are still willing to go that week again. We had COLD weather there in 2010 at the end of February and HOT weather there this past January, so we'll see what we get this time. Really want to be there for DS's actual birthday this time. The planning IS a lot of fun!
1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR, Why Do I Have To Ride By Myself? Feb/Mar 2014 TR
pld5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #375
jekajekalynn
A Barbie girl in a Bratz world
"Mommy tooted in the toilet! It was Loooooouuuud!!"
We Girls can do anything, right Barbie??

Joining in .

We went last year around the middle of Feb , and we REALLY enjoyed it . The weather was PERFECT for us (mid /upper 70s , no rain).

We should be there around 2/16-2/23rd .

[IMG][/IMG]
jekajekalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney world planning, february 2013

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: