Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #1996
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran
 
brobrosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I'm trying not to worry about the crowds b/c I don't think there are true SLOW times anymore at WDW, so it can't be helped sometimes. Last year they told us the end of January was DEAD...I didn't think it was! BUT, I do feel a little better b/c I went to check out whether the resorts were booked and sure enough when I put my dates (Tues 5th-Sat 9th) it was booked...BUT when I put the 5th-8th (friday) instead, there were still rooms! This tells me that most of the crowds for mardi gras and the cheer competition are arriving on the 8th and 9th, which is the day we leave!

Also...if a lot of the booked up hotels are from the cheer girls, I would think hitting rope drop will be the best choice ever now! I don't think the cheerleaders will be at RD!

Of course this is all guessing, but I'm trying to make myself feel better.
We went last year during the last week of January and didn't think the crowds were bad at all. We stayed at All Star Sports during a competition week and there were dance and cheer groups everywhere. Because of this the hotel itself was busy but we didn't think the parks were crowded. We are a rope drop family so we would hit the parks in the morning and leave around lunch. In the afternoon we would shop, swim, visit other hotels, etc. That may be the reason we didn't find the crowds as bad. We also don't do parades or fireworks so we tend to stay away from the large crowds.

My husband and I stayed at AKV the beginning part of Thanksgiving week and followed the same type of touring plan of getting to the parks at rope drop. While we found the crowds worse than January we did everything we wanted and couldn't really complain about the crowds. The buses from AKV were at times almost empty.

I guess sometimes it depends on the hotel and your touring plans....unless you go around Christmas and New Years! I saw the wait times during those weeks and both the DH and I agreed NEVER!
__________________
DH 41 , ME 36 , DSD 16 , DS 9 , DS 7

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #1997
meowmarie
DIS Veteran
 
meowmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotesweat View Post
Got our magical express tags yesterday! Close to choosing a kennel for dawg...found a nice value resort in the country, no spa or grooming, but plenty of room to run and get muddy. Sounds like his kind of place. Can hardly wait til Feb 1!!!

Katie
Which place are you looking at? We've had really good luck with Dog Boys and Doggy Day Out, both out in P-ville.
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DD7)



12/14 DLR ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR

Last edited by meowmarie; 01-15-2013 at 07:58 AM.
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #1998
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobrosmom View Post
We went last year during the last week of January and didn't think the crowds were bad at all. We stayed at All Star Sports during a competition week and there were dance and cheer groups everywhere. Because of this the hotel itself was busy but we didn't think the parks were crowded. We are a rope drop family so we would hit the parks in the morning and leave around lunch. In the afternoon we would shop, swim, visit other hotels, etc. That may be the reason we didn't find the crowds as bad. We also don't do parades or fireworks so we tend to stay away from the large crowds.

My husband and I stayed at AKV the beginning part of Thanksgiving week and followed the same type of touring plan of getting to the parks at rope drop. While we found the crowds worse than January we did everything we wanted and couldn't really complain about the crowds. The buses from AKV were at times almost empty.

I guess sometimes it depends on the hotel and your touring plans....unless you go around Christmas and New Years! I saw the wait times during those weeks and both the DH and I agreed NEVER!
It's so bizarre the different perspectives! I used to think it was about touring b/c we are BIG on rope drop, but I think there are other factors as well. I'm a big planner and followed rope drop, avoiding EMH parks, TGM and easyWDW best days...but we still thought the crowds were pretty big once lunchtime hit. I will say that RD was great and we certainly got everything done we wanted, but since I went on my first trip in Sept. of 2008, I think each trip the crowds have grown, regardless of when we went. (Sept 2008, Oct. 2009, Jan. 2012, and Nov 2012)

It certainly wasn't like BUSY times at all, but it wasn't dead either. I took pictures as proof b/c I was shocked at certain times the amount of people in the parks! I knew people wouldn't believe me!

Granted, the first few hours after RD wasn't like this, but we are ALL DAY type people, so by afternoon at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb 2012, I saw crowds like this:


NOT dead. Luckily we get all our rides done in the morning, so this type of thing isn't a deal breaker, but still something I have to prepare for in my mind!
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #1999
PrincessHanasMom
Earning My Ears
 
PrincessHanasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49

Help!! After planning my park days and booking my ADRs based on touring recommendations months ago, now things have changed around a bit. So, I checked three different planning websites (Touring Plans, Tour Guide Mike and Easy WDW) - which are completely inconsistent for my week (Presidents Day week). The only thing they all have the same is recommending to stay away from Magic Kingdom on the day we have our BBB appointment followed by lunch at CRT.

I am a novice, so i am hoping the more experienced/wise ones on this board can help me out:
Which website should I rely on?
Should I even try rearranging everything at this point or just not stress and stick with the current plan?

(FYI: I'll be 7 months pregnant and keeping up with my 4yo princess lover, if that makes a difference.)
PrincessHanasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #2000
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer
 
Ds4angels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 300

Uhg, so I checked the website and they extended the hours on Super Bowl Sunday? Are they really expecting crowds to be that crazy that they need to be open till 12?
We've got an 8yo & a 5yo. The plan was RP at MK that day and just stay at the park. Maybe take trip around the monorail to have a little break in the afternoon. Watch Wishes from Tomorrowland bridge (don't think we can handle the crowds on main street) then figured the parks would empty out after Wishes and just walk on the rides.
Most sites were saying it should be pretty empty after 3 that day. Now I'm wondering if that will hold true. Don't know that the kids will nap if we actually go back to the hotel in the afternoon. Just when I think I've got it all planned out.
__________________
2/13 ASMo (first time to stay on site)
Ds4angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2001
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran
 
brobrosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
It's so bizarre the different perspectives! I used to think it was about touring b/c we are BIG on rope drop, but I think there are other factors as well. I'm a big planner and followed rope drop, avoiding EMH parks, TGM and easyWDW best days...but we still thought the crowds were pretty big once lunchtime hit. I will say that RD was great and we certainly got everything done we wanted, but since I went on my first trip in Sept. of 2008, I think each trip the crowds have grown, regardless of when we went. (Sept 2008, Oct. 2009, Jan. 2012, and Nov 2012)

It certainly wasn't like BUSY times at all, but it wasn't dead either. I took pictures as proof b/c I was shocked at certain times the amount of people in the parks! I knew people wouldn't believe me!

Granted, the first few hours after RD wasn't like this, but we are ALL DAY type people, so by afternoon at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb 2012, I saw crowds like this:


NOT dead. Luckily we get all our rides done in the morning, so this type of thing isn't a deal breaker, but still something I have to prepare for in my mind!
I check all the same websites....we are some serious planners!

Where are y'all staying on your next trip? We stayed at AKV and Boardwalk on our last trip. Previous to that trip it was only the campground and values. I have to say that I am in love with AKV Kidani Village. That is where we are staying in February. We became DVC members in January of last year and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions EVER!
__________________
DH 41 , ME 36 , DSD 16 , DS 9 , DS 7

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #2002
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobrosmom View Post
I check all the same websites....we are some serious planners!

Where are y'all staying on your next trip? We stayed at AKV and Boardwalk on our last trip. Previous to that trip it was only the campground and values. I have to say that I am in love with AKV Kidani Village. That is where we are staying in February. We became DVC members in January of last year and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions EVER!
Oh so jealous of your DVC status!!! My dh and I stayed at AKL in November and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We sat on that balcony for hours talking about buying in! We have stayed offsite and at PoP and in 3 weeks it's just a mother/daughter trip for us, so we're headed "home" to PoP, we spent our first visit there and so wanted to go back.
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #2003
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....
 
moopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobrosmom View Post
I check all the same websites....we are some serious planners!

Where are y'all staying on your next trip? We stayed at AKV and Boardwalk on our last trip. Previous to that trip it was only the campground and values. I have to say that I am in love with AKV Kidani Village. That is where we are staying in February. We became DVC members in January of last year and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions EVER!
Jumping in to ask you a question. We will be staying at AKL for the first time ever and I still have not gotten a straight answer - it seems to be split 50/50: DO WE NEED TO GET A RENTAL CAR?! We will be there from 1/31 to 2/9, so crowds should be decent. But I saw a thread recently that it's about a 40 minute ride to some locations, by bus

We don't mind a 15 or 20 minute ride, but 40 each way might put a damper on our moods by day 9. Cars are affordable right now but DH doesn't want the extra expense. What's your opinion?
__________________
Pennsylvania Family of 5
moopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #2004
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,210

Well, that depends who you ask! I thought the buses were fine, my husband thought they took too long! I have a few more thoughts in my Nov 2012 trip report(link below)
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #2005
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran
 
brobrosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Jumping in to ask you a question. We will be staying at AKL for the first time ever and I still have not gotten a straight answer - it seems to be split 50/50: DO WE NEED TO GET A RENTAL CAR?! We will be there from 1/31 to 2/9, so crowds should be decent. But I saw a thread recently that it's about a 40 minute ride to some locations, by bus

We don't mind a 15 or 20 minute ride, but 40 each way might put a damper on our moods by day 9. Cars are affordable right now but DH doesn't want the extra expense. What's your opinion?
We stayed at the Kidani Village and I am guessing you are staying at Jambo House. Correct? We did not think the bus rides were bad at all and never did we have a 40 minute ride to any location! Now from seeing the bus stop at Kidani Village and the bus stop at the Lodge I will say that the Lodge had more people and was more crowded. I can't comment on how long the wait was for a bus.

We are driving to Disney in February and plan on using the buses even though we will have a car. I would say the farthest park is MK and you wouldn't want to drive there anyway. If you did, you'd have to park and then take the monorail or the boat over to the gates. It's just my opinion but I don't think a car is necessary. Of course as with all things Disney...you will get different views.
__________________
DH 41 , ME 36 , DSD 16 , DS 9 , DS 7

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #2006
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran
 
brobrosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Oh so jealous of your DVC status!!! My dh and I stayed at AKL in November and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We sat on that balcony for hours talking about buying in! We have stayed offsite and at PoP and in 3 weeks it's just a mother/daughter trip for us, so we're headed "home" to PoP, we spent our first visit there and so wanted to go back.
We are definitely loving it. So far we've used our points in November to stay at Kidani Village and Boardwalk, in December for 2 nights at Aulani before a girls only Hawaiian cruise! (yes I was able to get DH to agree to this), and we have a a 2 bedroom villa booked at Kidani Village in February. I am also planning a June trip, an October trip, and a March 2014 DL trip. I never would have stayed at these places or made so many trips if it wasn't for the DVC membership.

In the past I would price out a villa or a deluxe resort and was like NO WAY am I spending that on 1 trip! I am cheap! But with the DVC we have budgeted monthly for the payment and even though I know I am paying a lot up front... it won't be bad once it's paid for. I know there are a lot of pros and cons with it but I think it depends on how you vacation. For us it really works!
__________________
DH 41 , ME 36 , DSD 16 , DS 9 , DS 7

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #2007
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....
 
moopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Well, that depends who you ask! I thought the buses were fine, my husband thought they took too long! I have a few more thoughts in my Nov 2012 trip report(link below)
Hahaha, well....that was a great TR, but SO big that I think I missed your comments on the bussing. I skimmed and skimmed and got caught up in your report & AMAZING pictures but no bus-related comments until the end when you thought you'd wind up with a car next time.

That's alright. I think I may just play the "wait & see" game. If it seems bad, we'll try to get one somplace down there - hopefully not paying a fortune, but prob will .
__________________
Pennsylvania Family of 5
moopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #2008
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog

Hahaha, well....that was a great TR, but SO big that I think I missed your comments on the bussing. I skimmed and skimmed and got caught up in your report & AMAZING pictures but no bus-related comments until the end when you thought you'd wind up with a car next time.

That's alright. I think I may just play the "wait & see" game. If it seems bad, we'll try to get one somplace down there - hopefully not paying a fortune, but prob will .
Lol...I have a way of going on and on, so sending you to my TR probably wasn't the best idea!! Biggest issue was actually getting a bus MID-DAY back to the resort?? They just did not have many running. In the morning and evening we never waited and the rides were not bad...BUT, they pick up at Kidani first, so we had to stand a few times when a full bus would pull up.
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #2009
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,537

I'm going down the last week of Feb., and everybody has different opinions on some of our days too. I seem to be leaning toward easywdw - mostly because their opinion matches the days I want to be at each park . Hopefully it will work out. I've never been down that week, so I have little clue what it will be like, but he crowd numbers aren't too bad.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #2010
tjknitz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater
I'm going down the last week of Feb., and everybody has different opinions on some of our days too. I seem to be leaning toward easywdw - mostly because their opinion matches the days I want to be at each park . Hopefully it will work out. I've never been down that week, so I have little clue what it will be like, but he crowd numbers aren't too bad.
We are there the last week of Feb too! I've never been during this week - much less Feb. I'm hoping for low crowds. I'm following easywdw and tp - they both seem to be very similar so I'm hoping for the best!
__________________
Me , DH , DD(5) , DS(3)





Nov 2015: POR or POP (decisions decisions ???)
Feb 2013: Offsite
Sept 2009: POP Century
tjknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney world planning, february 2013



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: