Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

Question Premium Character Meal Voucher

In reading the fine print on my Costco package that includes Premium Character Meal Vouchers, it says it "may be applied up to its retail price at any other Disney owned and operated full-service or counter-service restaurant at the Disneyland® Resort". Since we are not much interested in the character dining (BTDT) and would rather save some money on our other meals, this appeals to me.

Does anyone have experience with using these vouchers for non-character dining? How did it work out?

Do the vouchers come separately, i.e. one for each person, or are they combined onto one voucher?

TIA,

Laura
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Minnie Loves Mickey
We Love Disney!!!

We have used our vouchers in other sit down restaurants. They will not give you any change so use it wisely. We upgraded our park tickets to PAPs so that gave us a discount at the restaurant and then we would use 1 voucher and pay the difference on the Bill. We had 6 vouchers in our group and with the AP discount and getting less expensive meals and/or sharing we spent relatively little on food that trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Disneylandfanatic
Annual Passholder since 2008

We are going to use our vouchers for dinner at Carthay!

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome."-Walt Disney
Disneylandfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Are pre-paid vouchers a good deal? Do they include tax and tip?

I see Ares Travel sells them for $33/$17 + convenience fee ($8 for my family of 4). Not a good deal unless they include tax and tip.

http://arestravel.com/77_attraction-tickets_a18.html

to use at:
Quote:
Minnie & Friends Breakfast - Plaza Inn on Main Street, USA - Disneyland® Park
Surf's Up! Breakfast - Disney's PCH Grill-Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel
Chip 'n' Dale's Critter Breakfast - Storytellers Cafe;-Disney's Grand Californian Hotel® & Spa.

Last edited by ValpoCory; 06-21-2012 at 08:34 PM.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Minnie Loves Mickey
We Love Disney!!!

Ours did say they include T and T at the carracter dining I can't remember how that was handled at a sit down restaurant.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Yes, we did this! You get a separate voucher for each member of your party. The value is printed on the back, and it is more for adults than for children. You can use the vouchers all at once, one at a time, or in any combination. The best bit of info I got was that the voucher can be used toward the tip, so you don't have to worry about not getting any change back. Any remaining value on the voucher can be put towards the tip. It's a great way to eat at BB or other pricier sit-down. We used some at Cafe Orleans and some at Storyteller's for breakfast and still had one left to put towards lunch. We would have used them at BB but it was closed during our trip last Oct.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
DizMe
Here we gooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Are pre-paid vouchers a good deal? Do they include tax and tip?

I see Ares Travel sells them for $33/$17 + convenience fee ($8 for my family of 4). Not a good deal unless they include tax and tip.

http://arestravel.com/77_attraction-tickets_a18.html

to use at:
The pre-paid vouchers do include tax and tip (all character meals include tax and tip in the price, I believe). Do a comparison between the different places that sell them and don't buy too far ahead of time unless you see a really good price. If you're going during the off-season, the regular prices are often a better deal and you can use your ap discount I think (if you have an ap). It has been a while since we did character meals so I'm not sure about the current rules. I used to buy vouchers through AAA but would always compare with getaway, ares, wdtc, etc. I usually found AAA to have the best deal, but as I said, it has been a few years since we did this.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Zbugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Loves Mickey View Post
We have used our vouchers in other sit down restaurants. They will not give you any change so use it wisely. We upgraded our park tickets to PAPs so that gave us a discount at the restaurant and then we would use 1 voucher and pay the difference on the Bill. We had 6 vouchers in our group and with the AP discount and getting less expensive meals and/or sharing we spent relatively little on food that trip.
Good to know you can use additional discounts on it, too. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Zbugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylandfanatic View Post
We are going to use our vouchers for dinner at Carthay!
That's a good idea. I will consider that myself.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Zbugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
Yes, we did this! You get a separate voucher for each member of your party. The value is printed on the back, and it is more for adults than for children. You can use the vouchers all at once, one at a time, or in any combination. The best bit of info I got was that the voucher can be used toward the tip, so you don't have to worry about not getting any change back. Any remaining value on the voucher can be put towards the tip. It's a great way to eat at BB or other pricier sit-down. We used some at Cafe Orleans and some at Storyteller's for breakfast and still had one left to put towards lunch. We would have used them at BB but it was closed during our trip last Oct.
Yea! Tip included is a good thing. I've also thought about BB but am not too sure considering the reviews I've read recently. We will definitely use one at Cafe Orleans. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

The only way these vouchers are a good deal is if you get a discount on them and you know that you will spend more than the face value, as no change is given for them.

At character meals, they are good for one meal, at all other locations they are good for up to the face value and can be applied toward tax, but not tip. If you simply leave say a $25 voucher and your total was $20, you just stiffed your server out of a tip (from what I have been told) and lost $5, as no change will be given.

These vouchers actually seem to work in Disney's favor more often than not.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Zbugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
The only way these vouchers are a good deal is if you get a discount on them and you know that you will spend more than the face value, as no change is given for them.

At character meals, they are good for one meal, at all other locations they are good for up to the face value and can be applied toward tax, but not tip. If you simply leave say a $25 voucher and your total was $20, you just stiffed your server out of a tip (from what I have been told) and lost $5, as no change will be given.

I will make sure to ask about the tip before I "pay". I used to wait tables back in the day.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
DizMe
Here we gooooo...

Quote:

The server told us that they can be applied toward the tip. I had read that on DIS and asked. I sure hope it's true!

We got a package last year through Costco that included the vouchers; otherwise, we wouldn't have ordered them. In that case, the package ended up saving us money over a la carte (hotel & tickets), which isn't usually the case. It does pay to check all avenues!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
The best bit of info I got was that the voucher can be used toward the tip, so you don't have to worry about not getting any change back. Any remaining value on the voucher can be put towards the tip.
OK, so that increases the chances that you can break even. But still, the only way I'd buy a voucher is if they were being sold at a discount, like you bought yours.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbugz View Post
Yea! Tip included is a good thing. I've also thought about BB but am not too sure considering the reviews I've read recently. We will definitely use one at Cafe Orleans. Thanks!
The character meal couchers cover the meal, tip and tax only at the character meals. It doesn't just simply cover the tip at the other locations. At othe Disney locations you can apply the value to you bill and tip total. If the cost is more than the value of the voucher you have to pay the difference.

Just tell your server you want to apply the voucher to the meal and the difference if any to their tip.

Quote:

The way to get a discount is to buy them not just when there is a deal, but when you can get them at regular season price, and use them for the character meal that is priced for peak season. That is the loop hole that saves you money.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: