Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
sportel
Earning My Ears

We are considering going to Seaworld January 2/3. Will the Christmas theming and special events still be on, or does it end Dec 30?

sportel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportel View Post
We are considering going to Seaworld January 2/3. Will the Christmas theming and special events still be on, or does it end Dec 30?
We visited Seaworld on January 2 and January 5th this year.

On January 2, all the holiday decorations were still up but the shows were back to the regular offerings (no special Christmas events). Hours were no longer extended (park closed at 6 pm) and the Polar Express had closed. That meant no Wild Artic ride either. Journey to Atlantis was closed for a refurb.

On January 5, all holiday decorations were gone EXCEPT for the sea of trees, and they were in the process of removing those in little boats throughout the day.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
HeidiGW
Mouseketeer

Go, Go, Go

I agree with the other posters! We love it.
(Now, if you hear anything negative, it may be old news. We went like seven years ago, and we not impressed with our holiday experience...)
But we returned three years ago and has been our Christmas holiday since. They really do it right! We have a business and miss all the pre-holiday fun. But, we now get our fill driving down Dec. 26 or 17th-New Years. It is very festive and folks really are in a holiday mood...even caroling at the big venues! New Year's Eve is only really crowded time, but in a good, celebratory way. We watch the last ice skating show (our second viewing) and have a seat for the fireworks. They gave out noisemakers. You can purchase champagne afterwards and they have dancing, etc.
Jan. 1, the park has been practically empty!
You can still get your Disney fix by going to DD or hitting one of the deluxe resorts for a meal. It's fun to ride the monorail and see all the decorations!

Me, DH, DD, DD, DD, DS
HeidiGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Treelight
Earning My Ears

We visited Sea World Orlando the week between Christmas and New Year's last year and were pleasantly surprised at the crowd level. Quite honestly I was expecting extreme crowding and long lines and I was prepared to deal with it. I dedicated 3 full days at Sea World with the hopes of seeing each show only once and possibly missing some attractions. We were able to experience everything and some shows we even saw more than once. We were able to go through the Shark Encounter multiple times back to back with no waiting. We did take advantage of the extended hours which allowed us to see more. My only concerns were the lines for restaurants which were long at peak times. The shows were fantastic and themed appropriately for Christmas.

As an added bonus, during the month of December, Sea World was offering a "Pay for one day and get all of 2012 for free". We did take advantage of that and are returning to Orlando in August to visit the park again. Not sure if they offer this type of bonus each year, but it may be worth waiting until December to purchase tickets..just in case.
Treelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiGW View Post
You can still get your Disney fix by going to DD or hitting one of the deluxe resorts for a meal. It's fun to ride the monorail and see all the decorations!
An awesome idea!! I think we may try to secure a breakfast at Ohana's then hop the monorail to the GF. Sounds like a fun way to spend a morning! And an evening at DTD with a Ghirardelli's sundae would be just what Santa ordered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelight View Post
Not sure if they offer this type of bonus each year, but it may be worth waiting until December to purchase tickets..just in case.
Our vacation package was purchased directly through SeaWorld, so it includes unlimited admission to both SeaWorld and Aquatica for the duration of our stay. But thanks for the great suggestion!

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
claire_ont
Mouseketeer

We did Sea World and Discovery Cove for Christmas two years ago and loved it so much, we are doing it again this year. We are staying at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld. We stayed there last time and loved being able to walk back and forth to the park.

We have Discovery Cove booked for Christmas Day and then will do SeaWorld for a few days on either side. Then it is off to Universal for two days followed by a week at AKV. A lot of moving around but we really wanted to see the WWHP this time.

I cannot wait!

Claire

claire_ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
jeffn5631
Mouseketeer

FYI...this year Busch Gardens is offering a separate admission ticket for their "Christmas Town" presentation with special decorations, shows and Christmas experiences which will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights between Nov. 30th and Dec 23rd. I bought my ticket this past weekend at the preview center in Timbuktu at Busch Gardens and their was a lot of people getting their tickets from the mailer that went out to passholders. I don't think SeaWorld is doing anything like this for their upcoming Christmas season but between the 2 parks I think they offer the best live entertainment of any parks in Florida. The price on the ticket is about half what Disney charges for their Christmas party and you can save money if you buy advance tickets online. Passholders got a great deal for tickets costing only 10.00.

Last edited by jeffn5631; 07-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
jeffn5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #23
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire_ont View Post
We did Sea World and Discovery Cove for Christmas two years ago and loved it so much, we are doing it again this year. We are staying at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld. We stayed there last time and loved being able to walk back and forth to the park.
Hello, fellow Ontarian! We are not far from Ottawa (about 3 hours west). Fingers crossed we get some warm and sunny weather for our Christmas holidays, and no snow to cause flight delays. I love leaving the cold Canadian winter behind!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #24
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffn5631 View Post
FYI...this year Busch Gardens is offering a separate admission ticket for their "Christmas Town" presentation with special decorations, shows and Christmas experiences which will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights between Nov. 30th and Dec 23rd. I bought my ticket this past weekend at the preview center in Timbuktu at Busch Gardens and their was a lot of people getting their tickets from the mailer that went out to passholders. I don't think SeaWorld is doing anything like this for their upcoming Christmas season but between the 2 parks I think they offer the best live entertainment of any parks in Florida. The price on the ticket is about half what Disney charges for their Christmas party and you can save money if you buy advance tickets online. Passholders got a great deal for tickets costing only 10.00.
Drat!

We don't arrive until the 23rd, so we will miss Christmas Town at Busch Gardens. We are flying out of Buffalo, NY (known for snow ) so I wouldn't want to book tickets for something that evening in the event that our flight is delayed. Plus, we have a 7:55 a.m. flight......so we might be asleep by the time all the fun gets started!!

Wish the special events ran one night longer.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

We do Diz and SeaWorld every Xmas week, as we travel to FLA to attend college bowl games on Jan 1, etc. SeaWorld absorbs the HUGE crowds this time of the year the best of all parks. All shows will fill to capacity in teh peak mid AM and mid afternoon hours, but you can get a seat if you dont wait too late to get into theater. If you are a thrill rider, you must be there before opening to rush to the coaster you want, pay for Quick Que, or wait until very late in teh day to ride. I've seen wait times listed for 180 min for Manta, literally lines up out of the que and down the walkpaths, but that same day at 9:45 PM the wait time is listed as 30 min.

They have cool shows and decorations just for Xmas. My kids adore the elmo Xmas show.... adore it. It "snows" with soap bubbles. Just a great time. Disboarders will hate me for posting this but SeaWorld at Xmas comes in a close 2nd to Magic King as my fav park in FLA.... beats out Animal, HS, and Epcot in my book.
andrews_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_dad View Post
Disboarders will hate me for posting this but SeaWorld at Xmas comes in a close 2nd to Magic King as my fav park in FLA.... beats out Animal, HS, and Epcot in my book.
No hate from this Disboarder .

SeaWorld and Discovery Cove are my favourite parks in Orlando, even over all the Disney and both Universal parks (and not just during the holidays......at all times of the year). All the parks awesome (and we have thoroughly enjoyed each one), but SW and DC just take top honours in my book.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We are having a Sea World Christmas too!! We are all booked December 22-29. We have the Super Grover passes, so we get fantastic reserved seating for all shows! That is the BEST perk! We have gotten our monies worth from those passes several times over! Parks and parking free, reserved seating for shows, % off food and shopping. So nice! I made an ADR for Kona at the Poly for Christmas night, and we are looking forward to watching Holiday Wishes on the beach afterwards! We will also go to DTD several times for a Disney fix. We can't wait!!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
We are having a Sea World Christmas too!! We are all booked December 22-29. We have the Super Grover passes, so we get fantastic reserved seating for all shows! That is the BEST perk! We have gotten our monies worth from those passes several times over! Parks and parking free, reserved seating for shows, % off food and shopping. So nice! I made an ADR for Kona at the Poly for Christmas night, and we are looking forward to watching Holiday Wishes on the beach afterwards! We will also go to DTD several times for a Disney fix. We can't wait!!
Very cool! Where are you staying?

We have an ADR for Ohana's for breakfast on Boxing Day, then we are going to ride the monorail and tour the Deluxe resorts to see the holiday decorations.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We are staying at Homewood Suites by Hilton on International Drive. I too have a snoring husband, so we need a suite when we travel so we can all sleep! I got a great rate, less than $100 a night!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
Mariellen102
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if u need a seperate ticket for sea worlds christmas events?? Or it is just all part of regular admission price?

Also, if you are military are you allowed to use ur free admission on christmas eve or christmas day??
Mariellen102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: