Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
askl293
Earning My Ears

This cruise will be our second cruise. our first was on the dream and it was the 4 day Bahamas cruise. the first time we went we didnt do any excursions we just rented snorkel equipment on castaway cay and we ended up not going for more then 10 minutes because the weather was horrible. this time around we want to book excursions but we need some advice about them.

well be going 5/25/13 on the fantasy to Costa Maya, cozumel, grand cayman and castaway cay. The 2 of us will be 21 @ time of sail.

so far were we want to do a dolphin encounter, explore the mayan ruins, and maybe snorkle if the weather is nice enough.

First question: what will the weather be like around this time in those locations?

Second question: how much time do we have at each port?

Third question: Are there any tours we can take with a local tour guide? If so are there any specific ones you would recommend?

So far were looking to do:
~Dolphin Encounter and Turtle Farm at grand cayman
~Clear Kayak And Beach Snorkel Combo at cozumel
~Chacchben mayan ruins at costa maya

does anyone have any advice or reviews? should i go with another excursion? im so overwhelmed at the number of excursions!

Thank you in advance it is much appreciated!

EDIT: i noticed there are a lot of options for the mayan ruins tours; which do you recommend?

Last edited by askl293; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
askl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We have done the turtle farm in Grand Cayman (no kids) and loved the place. It was clean, staff was knowledgeable and I got to hold a young sea turtle. I would go back there. We haven't done any of the other excursions you listed.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
kuhawk88
N2Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by askl293 View Post
MY FIRST POST!

This cruise will be our second cruise. our first was on the dream and it was the 4 day Bahamas cruise. the first time we went we didnt do any excursions we just rented snorkel equipment on castaway cay and we ended up not going for more then 10 minutes because the weather was horrible. this time around we want to book excursions but we need some advice about them.

well be going 5/25/13 on the fantasy to Costa Maya, cozumel, grand cayman and castaway cay. The 2 of us will be 21 @ time of sail.

so far were we want to do a dolphin encounter, explore the mayan ruins, and maybe snorkle if the weather is nice enough.

First question: what will the weather be like around this time in those locations?
Welcome to the DCL Forum!

I was on the 5/26 sailing of the Fantasy last month - and the weather was generally good. Half the days were overcast and half were sunny - but temperatures were generally in the upper 70's/low 80's (but felt warmer due to the humidity). We had one serious rainstorm while in Costa Maya - but it was in the evening so it didn't affect the excursions during the day.

Quote:
Second question: how much time do we have at each port?
You can see your arrival and departure times on DCL's web site:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...y-itinerary-b/

Quote:
Third question: Are there any tours we can take with a local tour guide? If so are there any specific ones you would recommend?

So far were looking to do:
~Dolphin Encounter and Turtle Farm at grand cayman
~Clear Kayak And Beach Snorkel Combo at cozumel
~Chacchben mayan ruins at costa maya

does anyone have any advice or reviews? should i go with another excursion? im so overwhelmed at the number of excursions!

Thank you in advance it is much appreciated!

EDIT: i noticed there are a lot of options for the mayan ruins tours; which do you recommend?
I have not done the ruins tour at Costa Maya - but we did do the Dolphin Encounter. You may want to check out this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....phin+encounter
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
moremouse
Mouseketeer

cozumel

We really enjoyed the Sea Trek Helmet Dive in Cozumel. In fact, so much so that my husband took up scuba diving when we got home.

We've also rented a Jeep there and just drove around the island stopping whenever we felt like it. The beaches on the other side of the island are beautiful and deserted. I wouldn't swim there though. I don't think it's safe. Undertow maybe?

You'll enjoy Cozumel.

In Costa Maya we did an ATV jungle/beach tour. I wasn't impressed. I would've enjoyed a day of peace on the ship alot more.
moremouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I did DCL's excursion for the ruins at Chaccoben just this last April. I love visiting ruins, but thought the ruins at Tullem were far more interesting. Be aware it will be VERY hot in late May. I was soaked by the time I got back to the ship back in late April.

Still, I'm glad I went - and they also had an adults only group. I would have regretted not seeing the ruins as I'm just fascinated by them. Had the Fantasy been in port longer, I probably would have booked through Ivan and Dave from Native Way Tours as they receive such good reviews. However, with the short port time, I just didn't want to chance it.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
3luv2travel
DISNEY CRUISE 2011

We were on the 6/9 Western and booked excursions at all three ports on our own.

We went with Ivan (Native Choice) in Costa Maya and were VERY impressed with his tour. He is a fabulous guide and we are so glad we booked with him. He knows the "time factor" since the ship is in port for a short time. We were back at the port by 4:30. He has a personal connection to the ruins and told us so much about Mayan life and culture on the trip. It was by far the best excursion we did. It was nice to get out of a van with 7 people in it at the ruins (as opposed to a tour bus with 50 or so guests) and tour the ruins. Ivan made sure to direct our group away from the mobs of other tourists and we couldn't have been happier. It was warm but not unbearable. Be sure to bring a hat and sunscreen though.

We also booked wave runners to Stingray City (Ebanks watersports) in Grand Cayman and a three reef snorkel (Eagle Ray Divers) in Cozumel. We highly recommend both (there were 9 people total on the waverunner tour and our family of three was the only family on the snorkel tour!)
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Don't waste your time and money on the dolphins at Grand Cayman. We've done 2 different tours thru Captain Marvin there--a 1/2 day snorkel (3 reef areas + Stingray City) and on another cruise, an island tour which included the turtle farm. The cost of our tour was $30, which is what admission to the turtle farm alone costs if you do it on your own. In addition, on both events we were offered the ability to be dropped at one of the beaches (our choice of which one) or back at the tender terminal...so if you wanted to do a beach, you just saved one way transportation cost.

Discovery Cove in Orlando was better than any dolphin thing we've ever done in an island. Save your money and some day add a day to Orlando.....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excursions, fantasy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: