Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

Tough rides for Pooh-sized people?

My sister is a lady of size, and planning a trip with her DD to DLR in the spring.

She's wondering what rides are more difficult for extra-Pooh-sized people. (She's a bit more than just the typical Pooh-sized visitor.)
Next trip: Solo in February 2015, Family in May 2015!
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

Does she have knee/mobility issues too?

I would think rides like Space Mountain or Splash (my mom is not a thrill seeker) where you are kind of cramped and have to get out would be bad.

Alice I believe she would be better in the front seat.

This is for WDW but gives you an idea of what most look like.

http://allears.net/tp/gal_ride.htm

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
rtfelt
Disneyland AP

Probably any ride with a "set" seat for each person would be difficult for someone of extra "Pooh" size. Off the top of my head the following rides have individual seats:
DL:
Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain (but the seats are front to back, so if the problem is side issues she might be alright), Mattahorn Bobsleds (these are also front to back, but the new cars are tighter than the previous), Submarines, Space Mountain, Star Tours
DCA: Soarin', Screamin', goofy Sky school, Swings, Jumpin Jellyfish,ToT

These seats are probably about the size of seats on a plane, so if she has a hard time fitting into a plane seat, these would probably not accommodate her either.

RSR and Gadget coaster don't have their own seats per se like these other rides, but may be difficult.

Rose
rtfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

The ride I have a problem with is Goofy's Sky School. And it is more my knees than anything.

Nemo, I simply comment to the loader I would be more comfortable with 2 seats (so I am not encroaching into other's space.)

A lot depends on where she is "Pooh sized". If she carries a lot in her top half, Screamin' might be a problem as the safety bar can cause some to feel uncomfortable. If she is larger in the lower half, a big thing to remember is to pull out safety belts before sitting down.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Pinocchio #1 Fan
Disney Premier Passholder, Believer in the power of Hakuna Matata!

The seats in the back row on Star Tours are a bit wider than the ones in the front rows. I'm pooh sized, and I always request the back row on that ride. As far as rides which might be uncomfortable, Dumbo is gonna be difficult, as is Goofy's Sky School.
Pinocchio #1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Does she have knee/mobility issues too?
No knee or "medical" mobility issues, per say, other than the possible limits of endurance because of her size. I recommended that she think about an ECV just to make things easier on her, because of how much walking is done. I could see her overdoing it early on, and being in pain the rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
Nemo, I simply comment to the loader I would be more comfortable with 2 seats (so I am not encroaching into other's space.)

A lot depends on where she is "Pooh sized". If she carries a lot in her top half, Screamin' might be a problem as the safety bar can cause some to feel uncomfortable. If she is larger in the lower half, a big thing to remember is to pull out safety belts before sitting down.
I'll let her know that there's times she can ask for 2 seats--that may make things MUCH easier! She carries her weight right around her middle--enough so that I'm sure Screamin' won't be a possibility. I'm wondering now, if there's a way to tell how far out the seat belts go. Anyone know? As long as a regular car seat belt?
Next trip: Solo in February 2015, Family in May 2015!
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Cars Land for the Pooh-Sized?

Do we have anyone who can speak directly to RSR, MJJ, and Luigi's Flying Tires in CL now that they're open? I thought Luigi looked like it was good for everyone, but really could not tell about RSR. Is it a flat bench for the two rows in the vehicles, or are their individual bucket seats?
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
rtfelt
Disneyland AP

No problem with Luigi. It's one big seat that can accommodate upto 3 people. RSR is not individual bucket seats, but there's a bit of a "contour" to the seats. MJJ shouldn't be a problem. It's just a bench seat with a very large seatbelt that can go across 2 people in the seat--like Dumbo but with more room.

Rose
rtfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride cars are for two people, but there isn't a lot of room between you and the lap bar. That one might be a bit tough and getting through the inside que is also a little cramped (especially near the turnstile).

Another ride that isn't really problem in terms of the seat size, but might be a bit embarrassing for pooh-sized guests is Storybook Canal boats. If the weight is not distributed right, they have a distinct tilt as they float along.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
nannyz
DIS Veteran

I am not a really large person, but am about 30 lbs overweight.
I can get onto all the rides quite easily, but I have problems lifting myself up out of IASW, POTC, and Splash. I always make sure that someone in my party gets out first and then turns and holds my hand as I get out. This really helps.
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

For the Winnie the Pooh ride, request the FRONT seats. There is more room to maneuver there. It's good for those who are bigger, and those with knee/joint problems.

The seatbelts on rides are really long. The trick for seatbelt rides is to pull it ALL the way out, while still standing, and THEN sit down and buckle. For some reason it makes it so much easier than doing it all while seated.

AstroOrbiter is awkward, Sky School can't be done by my husband b/c his legs are like tree trunks and can't get down low enough to allow the bar to come down.

That's all Ic an think of right now...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

AstroOrbiter is awkward,
oh yeah i forgot about that one...thats a no no no no
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
4th Gen Disney Fan
Disneyland Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride cars are for two people, but there isn't a lot of room between you and the lap bar. That one might be a bit tough and getting through the inside que is also a little cramped (especially near the turnstile).
I'm 6' 4" with very long legs. When we were getting on Mr. Toad the ride operator lowered the bar and attempted to start the ride before I was even in my seat! I had just put my 2 toddlers in the front and was pulling my left leg into the car when he lowered the bar. I had to yell at him to stop because I could no longer bend my knee to pull my leg in. It was sticking straight out like a kickstand! He was very apologetic obviously and it didn't ruin my fun. As a taller person I also have to be mindful of tight spaces and I had similar issues getting into most Fantasyland rides because it's tricky getting my long legs into the seats.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

The Matterhorn bobsleds are now individual seats with 3 seats per car and 2 cars coupled together. I think it would be difficult for a person of size to ride the matterhorn. The seats are the same level as where you put your feet. There are indentations to put your feet beside the seat in front of you, but not much room. A tall person will have his/her knees almost to their chin. I'm 5'9 and had trouble sitting in the back seat, but the middle seat was better.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #15
stubby
Mouseketeer

How Pooh sized is she? I was over 100lbs overweight for our last trip. I am 5'2 and weighed around 240. I had no problem riding any rides. May have been a little squishy on my stomach with the lap bars a few times but nothing I couldn't ride.

Can't wait for this trip to Disney as I have lost a good bit of weight(and am hoping to lose about 30-40 more before October).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: