Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Canadian Girl 77
Hoping for some pixie dust

Talking Disneyland and 1 week in Southern California - early August

We're spending a week at Disneyland starting July 29 because DH is speaking at a conference. We are staying at the Grand Californian thanks to the amazing hotel rates for conferences.

I'm at a loss for what to do the next week! Please help. I think we'll rent a car. I doubt we'll be back in California in the near future. My thoughts are that we'll spend 1 or 2 days in LA, 1 or 2 days in Santa Monica and a few days in San Diego. I've been reading all sorts of stuff but now my brain is fried. Where should we go and where should we stay?

DD is 7. We aren't lay on the beach people but we do want to go to the beach at least once. We like to stay busy which is why we enjoy Disney World so much. Thanks for your help and opinions.
December 1982 - Polynesian | October 1993 - Offsite | October 2000 - All Star Music (Honeymoon) | March 2007 - All Star Movies | February/March 2008 - All Star Movies | November 2008 - Pop Century | April/May 2009 - Pirate Room at Caribbean Beach Resort | September/October 2009 - Pop Century | May 7-14, 2011 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Magic and Hard Rock Hotel Universal| July/August 2012 - Disney Grand Californian | October 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel Universal | April/May 2014 - Art of Animation and Royal Pacific Resort at Universal

I blog.

Canadian Girl 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Grand Californian, lucky you! You could easily stay up near Disneyland and do a day trip out to Huntington Beach or Newport Beach, there is a great thread on Newport Beach on here with good info. I don't know much about LA or Santa Monica (went there once and it was expensive shopping and a couple carnival rides). San Diego has a LOT to offer. The zoo, wild animal park, sea world, lots of beaches and shopping. You could go to Pacific/Mission Beach and walk the whole bike path along there and go to the beach. It is a funny place to people watch, it definitely gives off that funky california vibe! Coronado is gorgeous and a nice place to rent bikes and have a good lunch and walk the beach and wander up and explore the Hotel Del.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
allyswan
genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist

Yes, San Diego is a must! If you're into museums, Balboa Park has a lot of them, as well as lots of fun street performers. It's also within walking distance of the San Diego Zoo. You should also definitely check out the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, if you like nerdy science-y stuff, and it's only about 10 minutes away from DL.
allyswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

You could go to San Diego visit the Zoo, Sea World& go over to Coronado. That would cover a couple of days on your trip. Huntington Beach is a great town as is Carlsbad. Legoland is near Carlsbad so that may be something to check out
My one suggestion is not to change location/hotels more than once in the period after Disneyland. Get a base or two so you can explore the area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: