Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #76
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer
 
ellensfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 76

Hi welcome,


This is very 1st cruise ever! So excited...my main concern is seasickness...

I figured it can't be bad cuz all these families wouldn't bring their little children on the boat if everyone was sick.

Others have told me you don't feel it , the motion that is..it's like a hotel...I'm soooo praying its true..but every once in awhile I hear a post abt missing a port due to high winds, etc...and I get terrified..

Please chime in anyone!

Thanks ellen
__________________

Dream 2/24/13
ellensfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #77
FlotsamLovesJetsam
Earning My Ears
 
FlotsamLovesJetsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7

I get pretty sick on boats in general, but these cruise ships are just so big, you barely feel the movement! That being said, I still get a little bit of an "off" feeling. I used to take Dramamine, but it also makes me feel weird. I found those SeaBands things a couple years ago. Just wristbands that push on pressure points, and I swear they work. I'll be sporting my radical wristbands the entire cruise! I think it just completely depends on how sensitive you are to motion sickness. I happen to be very sensitive, but like I said, on cruises I just get a slight bad feeling. So, unless you're in my category and keep barf bags in the car, just in case, you'll probably be fine.
FlotsamLovesJetsam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #78
Mdriskill
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37
Hey all...just booked this cruise yesterday on a VGT. Was on the fence for a few weeks and just decided to do it. I think the 10 degree days here in NY finally convinced me we had to get away this winter.

Just hubby and I this time. We usually cruise with tons of people but not this time. Kids (DD28, DS27 and DD24) all have job commitments and can't come (though they are jealous!)

Going to West Palm Beach first for a few days before and then head over to Port Canaveral for the cruise.

For those that have not been on the Dream yet...she (and the Fantasy) are just breathtakingly gorgeous. Can't wait to get on the Dream again. This will be cruise #29 on DCL so if anyone has any questions I can answer feel free to ask away. We were lucky enough to be on the MV of the Dream and this will be our 5th Dream cruise. Also cruised the Magic (MV) and Wonder several times.

One month from today and we will be sailing!!!

MJ
I just booked this cruise last week sort of spur of the moment- doing it with a girl friend and our two youngest children- 7 and 9. Leaving husband and two teenagers at home. Any and all helpful tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. Never cruised dcl or with children before????
Mdriskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #79
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriskill View Post
I just booked this cruise last week sort of spur of the moment- doing it with a girl friend and our two youngest children- 7 and 9. Leaving husband and two teenagers at home. Any and all helpful tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. Never cruised dcl or with children before????
First of all don't let any of the dress code threads on the main board scare you. DCL is pretty laid back and you don't have to get all fancy if you don't want to. We are on a 4 night so there is a dress up optional night. You can go all out or just wear jeans and a nice top....or anything in between. As long as you don't look like you just rolled out of bed you should be fine. I am packing less this cruise. Capris/nice tops.

Encourage the kids to attend the clubs the first day/night...this is when most of the bonding takes place with other kids.

DCL allows you to bring your own alcohol onboard but it must be brought on in your carryons, not your checked luggage. You will be responsible for keeping your carryons with you until rooms are ready at about 1:30 or so. I always bring a rolling type of carryon to make it easier. I also keep with me my camera, cruise docs, medications...basically anything you can't do without until your luggage gets delivered (anytime up until 6:00 pm) but usually much earlier.

On the Dream, when you board, you will have the option of eating lunch at two places...Cabanas up on the pool deck (deck 11) or Enchanted Garden on Deck 2. Cabanas will have more variety. If you do opt to eat in EG know that while kid friendly foods like mac and cheese, hotdogs, etc. are not on the buffet for lunch you can ask your server for them and he/she will get them.

Have the kids do the Midship Dectective Agency scavenger hunt...it is a ton of fun.

If you want any pool time get there early in the mornings as mid-day (especially sea days) the pool area gets very crowded.

If you guys want to go on the Aquaduck you can bring your swimsuits in your carryons bag and change as soon as you board and have lunch or even wear your suits under your clothes. The AD is usually open as soon as you board and the lines are short then.

The cabins have real fridges (small but real) built into the desk so you can keep things cold if you bring anything onboard with you or want a yogurt from the buffet to keep in there for later.

The cabins also have a real full sized hair dryer so no need to pack one unless you are attached to your own. On the desk there is a special round outlet that fit the hairdryer. Do not plug anything else in there.

The ship is beautiful, the shows are wonderful..don't miss the Golden Mickeys..love that show!!!

There is complimentary 24 hour room service onboard so you want a bowl of soup or some cookies and milk at 2:00 am...no problem. Call RS and order. also, it is not on the RS menu but you can get Mickey Ice cream bars (like at WDW) free through room service. Just ask. Customary tip for CM delivering RS is $2 or so..more if you order a lot. I always bring singles with me for this purpose.

In the dining rooms you can order as much as you care to. Want two apps and 2 entrees and five desserts..no problem. You servers are there to please so ask them questions and they can recommend the best dish on the menus for that evening. The dining rooms are beautiful (my fav is Royal Court).

Explore the ship...get to know where things are. The adult lounges are very nice...there is one on the very top of the ship with fantastic views.

Walk all the way forward to the bow of the ship on Deck 13 and feel the wind in your hair. Deck 4 is a great place to relax away from the crowds. They have the old fashioned teak deck chairs (put out after the safety drill) and sitting there feeling the ocean breeze is wonderful. Deck 4 is also the running/walking deck.

The snacks in the Cove Cafe (deck 11) and Vista Cafe (deck 4) (coffee bars) in the glass cases are complimentary. Just ask the CM and they will get you what you want. They have different things at different times of the day. pastries, desserts, etc. They also have great specialty coffees (for a fee). If you like a Starbucks type coffee drink this is the place to get it. Ask for the punch card. buy 5 drinks and the next one is complimentary. they will punch the card each time you buy a drink there.

Get in line for character meets early. You can find out in the daily Navigator (ship newsletter) when/what characters will be out...also carry it around with you during the day so you know what is going on around the ship...very helpful.

One of my fav things to do while onboard is go see a movie!! The movie theatres is beautiful and we tend to go late at night. I like to bring chicken fingers and a soda with me. I also bring a few boxes of movie theatre sized candy with me onboard to bring to the show or movie (they do sell movie snacks but they are costly). Our grocery store usually has 10 boxes for $10. Love my Milk Duds or Junior mints!!! LOL!!

So much to do!!! Feel free to ask any specific questions if you have them. Just have fun and don't expect to be able to do everything in one cruise.

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times


Last edited by mmouse37; 01-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #80
xmansmom
Mouseketeer
 
xmansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellensfamily View Post
Hi welcome,


This is very 1st cruise ever! So excited...my main concern is seasickness...

I figured it can't be bad cuz all these families wouldn't bring their little children on the boat if everyone was sick.

Others have told me you don't feel it , the motion that is..it's like a hotel...I'm soooo praying its true..but every once in awhile I hear a post abt missing a port due to high winds, etc...and I get terrified..

Please chime in anyone!

Thanks ellen
This is the reason we've never been on a cruise. We're going to take the plunge on Feb 5th. I'm getting patches that you wear behind your ear. I used them and rode in the back of a safari vehicle for two weeks and was not bothered at all. Usually, I get sick just riding a few miles in the backseat of a car. They are so worth a trip to the doctor.
__________________
First Disney World vacation - June 25, 2005
2nd "Annual" trip - June 2006 (We're addicted now!)
First family trip to Disneyland for DS's birthday - May 2007
Last minute trip to Disneyland July/Aug 2007
Spring Break @ WDW - March 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - July 2010
Disneyland to check out Radiator Springs July 2012
First Disney Cruise on the Magic! Feb 2013
4th of July at WDW 2013 Are we crazy??
WDW - July 2014

First trip to the dark side - July 2014

xmansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #81
reagansmom
Mouseketeer
 
reagansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 291

FE List

I just sent the final list out this AM for FE. If you did not receive it or if something is not correct, please let me know ASAP!!!

Thanks!
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #82
disjenne
Mouseketeer
 
disjenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 169

Thank you so much for posting all of this info! I am new to this thread because we are looking to book our first ever cruise! Hopefully by tonight I can say we (DH, Me, DD3) will be joining with you all!! These are some great tips! I've had a hard time finding info about crusing. Any other info or point in the right direction is welcome. I am clueless at this point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
First of all don't let any of the dress code threads on the main board scare you. DCL is pretty laid back and you don't have to get all fancy if you don't want to. We are on a 4 night so there is a dress up optional night. You can go all out or just wear jeans and a nice top....or anything in between. As long as you don't look like you just rolled out of bed you should be fine. I am packing less this cruise. Capris/nice tops.

Encourage the kids to attend the clubs the first day/night...this is when most of the bonding takes place with other kids.

DCL allows you to bring your own alcohol onboard but it must be brought on in your carryons, not your checked luggage. You will be responsible for keeping your carryons with you until rooms are ready at about 1:30 or so. I always bring a rolling type of carryon to make it easier. I also keep with me my camera, cruise docs, medications...basically anything you can't do without until your luggage gets delivered (anytime up until 6:00 pm) but usually much earlier.

On the Dream, when you board, you will have the option of eating lunch at two places...Cabanas up on the pool deck (deck 11) or Enchanted Garden on Deck 2. Cabanas will have more variety. If you do opt to eat in EG know that while kid friendly foods like mac and cheese, hotdogs, etc. are not on the buffet for lunch you can ask your server for them and he/she will get them.

Have the kids do the Midship Dectective Agency scavenger hunt...it is a ton of fun.

If you want any pool time get there early in the mornings as mid-day (especially sea days) the pool area gets very crowded.

If you guys want to go on the Aquaduck you can bring your swimsuits in your carryons bag and change as soon as you board and have lunch or even wear your suits under your clothes. The AD is usually open as soon as you board and the lines are short then.

The cabins have real fridges (small but real) built into the desk so you can keep things cold if you bring anything onboard with you or want a yogurt from the buffet to keep in there for later.

The cabins also have a real full sized hair dryer so no need to pack one unless you are attached to your own. On the desk there is a special round outlet that fit the hairdryer. Do not plug anything else in there.

The ship is beautiful, the shows are wonderful..don't miss the Golden Mickeys..love that show!!!

There is complimentary 24 hour room service onboard so you want a bowl of soup or some cookies and milk at 2:00 am...no problem. Call RS and order. also, it is not on the RS menu but you can get Mickey Ice cream bars (like at WDW) free through room service. Just ask. Customary tip for CM delivering RS is $2 or so..more if you order a lot. I always bring singles with me for this purpose.

In the dining rooms you can order as much as you care to. Want two apps and 2 entrees and five desserts..no problem. You servers are there to please so ask them questions and they can recommend the best dish on the menus for that evening. The dining rooms are beautiful (my fav is Royal Court).

Explore the ship...get to know where things are. The adult lounges are very nice...there is one on the very top of the ship with fantastic views.

Walk all the way forward to the bow of the ship on Deck 13 and feel the wind in your hair. Deck 4 is a great place to relax away from the crowds. They have the old fashioned teak deck chairs (put out after the safety drill) and sitting there feeling the ocean breeze is wonderful. Deck 4 is also the running/walking deck.

The snacks in the Cove Cafe (deck 11) and Vista Cafe (deck 4) (coffee bars) in the glass cases are complimentary. Just ask the CM and they will get you what you want. They have different things at different times of the day. pastries, desserts, etc. They also have great specialty coffees (for a fee). If you like a Starbucks type coffee drink this is the place to get it. Ask for the punch card. buy 5 drinks and the next one is complimentary. they will punch the card each time you buy a drink there.

Get in line for character meets early. You can find out in the daily Navigator (ship newsletter) when/what characters will be out...also carry it around with you during the day so you know what is going on around the ship...very helpful.

One of my fav things to do while onboard is go see a movie!! The movie theatres is beautiful and we tend to go late at night. I like to bring chicken fingers and a soda with me. I also bring a few boxes of movie theatre sized candy with me onboard to bring to the show or movie (they do sell movie snacks but they are costly). Our grocery store usually has 10 boxes for $10. Love my Milk Duds or Junior mints!!! LOL!!

So much to do!!! Feel free to ask any specific questions if you have them. Just have fun and don't expect to be able to do everything in one cruise.

MJ
__________________
~Jenn
disjenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #83
disjenne
Mouseketeer
 
disjenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 169

What are FE? Hope to keep this in mind for next trip! I waited to late for this time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
I just sent the final list out this AM for FE. If you did not receive it or if something is not correct, please let me know ASAP!!!

Thanks!
__________________
~Jenn
disjenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #84
maganda
Mrs. Mike Wazowski
 
maganda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,944

just bumping for disjenne to see if there's any FE space left for another family who booked their cruise today. TIA
__________________
Me (40) DH (41) DS (13) DD (12)
2013 adventures:
Marathon Weekend (13.1)
Star Wars Weekend
Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland (19.3)
2014 adventures:
Marathon Weekend (26.2)
Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour day
Wine & Dine Half Marathon
maganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #85
reagansmom
Mouseketeer
 
reagansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjenne View Post
What are FE? Hope to keep this in mind for next trip! I waited to late for this time!
Sent you a private message!! Email me your info at hhroth at gmail dot com
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #86
disjenne
Mouseketeer
 
disjenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 169

Than you thank you! Just emailed!
__________________
~Jenn
disjenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #87
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer
 
ellensfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 76

Hi jen, do you have any excursions planned?
Ellen
ellensfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #88
disjenne
Mouseketeer
 
disjenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 169

Hi ellen! We don't as of now. I'm looking into them today. DD is three so I'm not sure about which ones she will be able to do with us. I'm still in shock that we are going! We've talked about it for a few months off and on but booking and really saying we are doing it came so quick! Lol!
__________________
~Jenn
disjenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #89
disjenne
Mouseketeer
 
disjenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 169

Looking into Nassau I found a self guided our map someone made. What are thought of going into town? I remember seeing the stairs (forgot the name) on there and the market. Is it safe to do this? Would time allow?
__________________
~Jenn
disjenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #90
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer
 
ellensfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 76

Lanyards and cabanas!

Hi all,

I am hoping one of you marvelous families in our FE group would like to take advantage of saving a few bucks?

We are desperately trying to rent a cabana on castaway cay day but all sold out.

There are 3 of us, myself, dh & ds(12).

If anyone hear as reserved a cabana and would consider splitting it that's abt $250 savings! My hubby & son will prob be at water slides most of time anyway, but I'd even take one on adult side!

Also can anyone direct me where to purchase 3 lanyards for our 1st cruise? I heard they give them upon 2nd cruise but we r having a difficult time purchasing some

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
ellen
E
ellensfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.