Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #331
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
Finally got a room for 8/25 Fantasy. We are in 7654, not what I was hoping for, after seeing a the great upgrades. We are 4 adults and 1 child, and this isn't even a larger verandah room.
All DCL has to do is give you a room that holds 5 people in the category you booked....in your case one of the *GT rates. It is the luck of the draw if you get upgraded or not.

I think that is one of the problems with everyone posting what they got...it leads others to be disappointed when they finally get their assignment and it is not what they hoped for. It is one of tradeoffs for getting a fantastic rate...you lose your ability to choose a specific stateroom.

Not everyone is going to get upgraded....some are going to get the category they booked.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #332
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
All DCL has to do is give you a room that holds 5 people in the category you booked....in your case one of the *GT rates. It is the luck of the draw if you get upgraded or not.

I think that is one of the problems with everyone posting what they got...it leads others to be disappointed when they finally get their assignment and it is not what they hoped for. It is one of tradeoffs for getting a fantastic rate...you lose your ability to choose a specific stateroom.

Not everyone is going to get upgraded....some are going to get the category they booked.

MJ
I don't know the category Susieark originally booked (assuming it was 5C ?), but just wanted to say that I agree with you mmouse37. I booked a 5E GTY because I was fine with that and didn't even desire an upgrade. I was assigned a 5E and we're very happy with that. We actually had had a 6B GTY but paid $150 extra just a couple weeks ago to book the 5E.
I am sorry Susie is not as happy.....looks like a great location near stairs/elevators. Hope you have a great cruise !

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #333
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaSRN62 View Post
I don't know the category Susieark originally booked (assuming it was 5C ?), but just wanted to say that I agree with you mmouse37. I booked a 5E GTY because I was fine with that and didn't even desire an upgrade. I was assigned a 5E and we're very happy with that. We actually had had a 6B GTY but paid $150 extra just a couple weeks ago to book the 5E.
I am sorry Susie is not as happy.....looks like a great location near stairs/elevators. Hope you have a great cruise !
I'm not UNhappy with the room, but was hoping to get the Family Verandah, so we wouldn't feel too cramped. Location is good. Others from our cruise are starting to post, and got the family size verandah, about 50 sf bigger.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #334
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Sorry if I used the wrong word Susie. I guess I incorrectly perceived a little disappointment. Hope you have a great cruise !

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by MiaSRN62; 08-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.
MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #335
mnrhannah07
1,287 miles from WDW

Quote:

MJ

I totally understand that it is not a for sure thing to get upgraded, but, I didn't get a FANTASTIC rate...I got the same rate that is still posted for my cat..I know it's a luck of the draw and now, our only choice is to suck it up and pay to upgrade! lol
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #336
linz02ag
Earning My Ears

We booked an 05B GTY for October 27th on the Magic. Hoping we don't get a solid white wall verandah
linz02ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #337
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrhannah07 View Post
I totally understand that it is not a for sure thing to get upgraded, but, I didn't get a FANTASTIC rate...I got the same rate that is still posted for my cat..I know it's a luck of the draw and now, our only choice is to suck it up and pay to upgrade! lol
I was referring to Susiesark's response. They also posted on the IGT/OGT/VGT thread so it can be assumed that they did get a discounted rate....not the regular rate...that was what I was referring to.

But, then again, even with regular GTY assignments there are going to be disappoints, unfortunately.....and I know the disappointment can be increased if you paid the same rate as someone else who did get upgraded.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #338
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
I was referring to Susiesark's response. They also posted on the IGT/OGT/VGT thread so it can be assumed that they did get a discounted rate....not the regular rate...that was what I was referring to.

But, then again, even with regular GTY assignments there are going to be disappoints, unfortunately.....and I know the disappointment can be increased if you paid the same rate as someone else who did get upgraded.

MJ
I think that is what is confusing a lot of people. The IGT/OGT/VGT thread asked that only those booking that type of fare post there. It's when they post on the GTY thread it gets everyone here confused. They did get good discounted rates. People booking OGT at less than my 7A GTY rate are getting assigned nicely located verandah cabins. But that's okay with me; I am happy with my cabin and its location!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #339
Nikki'sMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:

MJ
I couldn't agree more.. When people sail off season they have such high hopes of getting an upgrade- however, with a special discount rate they are already getting a great deal compared to anyone who booked earlier. Although I can understand the disappointment, no one should expect a higher category. Besides, if there is opportunity at the port they may be able to upgrade at a fraction of the cost..

me( 45) dh(48) dd(6)
Nikki'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #340
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is so very true. Six cruises, and we have been upgraded just once - on our first cruise. Our upcoming cruise in October we had a 9A GTY and received a 9A regular stateroom (there are a total of six regular and two HA 9As on the Dream). Odds were we would get upgraded due to the low number of staterooms in that category, but luck of the draw we did not get upgraded. I'm just happy we are on Deck 8!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #341
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I wasn't sure if this was a GTY or XGT thread. There's a GT thread already which is why I posted in this one. I booked GTY.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #342
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
This is so very true. Six cruises, and we have been upgraded just once - on our first cruise. Our upcoming cruise in October we had a 9A GTY and received a 9A regular stateroom (there are a total of six regular and two HA 9As on the Dream). Odds were we would get upgraded due to the low number of staterooms in that category, but luck of the draw we did not get upgraded. I'm just happy we are on Deck 8!
We've never been upgraded! But that's okay; I book what I want to stay in so it's fine by me. I just try to not go back and look at prices later when I book a GTY so I can't make myself upset!

sarbah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #343
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

In 6 cruises, we've booked 2 GTYs. Our 1st cruise in 2005, booked Cat 12 & were upgraded to a Cat 11 on deck 7. Our 3rd cruise was in 2011 & booked Cat 11C & upgraded to Cat 9B or C.

All other cruises have been verandah cabins & are booked "Do not change cabin."

There is no rhyme or reason for DCLs upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #344
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki'sMommy
I couldn't agree more.. When people sail off season they have such high hopes of getting an upgrade- however, with a special discount rate they are already getting a great deal compared to anyone who booked earlier. Although I can understand the disappointment, no one should expect a higher category. Besides, if there is opportunity at the port they may be able to upgrade at a fraction of the cost..
What really sucks is when you book a gty room and pay the same price as everyone else in that cat and it never says that you are restricted to what you get, but you are even if there is availabilty in your cat you cant move but this isnt explained up front. You pay the same rate but get restrictions

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #345
mcorbo
Just tag me the DUH Master...

sailing 10/04 on the Dream, booked an 8A GTY through DVC and was just given cabin assignment in category 5B. Was looking forward to the huge 8A cabin, but a Balcony works just as well!

mcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: