Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #181
Kebby
Mouseketeer

thanks! We were happy We were 43 days out at assignment.

As for how I knew we were 7A, even when you book a GTY, it will still say a category beside it. This is how you know what your MINIMUM is. So, I knew that at very least I was going to get a 7A, and then you could get better, but never less than that- clear as mud?

I was ok with a 7A because the price was ridiculously low. However, I am very happy to be moved to a 5A!
Kebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #182
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark
Great upgrade. But I'm wondering, when you book a GTY, I thought that meant ANY room within a specific category (IGT, VGT, etc.). So, how did you know you were originally a 7a? Am I missing something?
An I/O/VGT is different from a GTY. When you book a GTY, you're booking a specific category. But if Disney sells all your category staterooms, they will upgrade you. That's what they mean when they mention an upgrade : ).

Some people will argue that if you book a *GT and end up with the best cabin in that category (a 4A verandah, for example), it's not an upgrade. But we like to think it is, since technically we could have ended up with a the lowest possible cabin ; )
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #183
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

we booked a 4E , for march 9 2013 on the fantasy, cant wait to see where we end up! Would love an aft balcony, but no matter where we are we will just be happy to be sailing on the fantasy! Will be a first time for the grandkids to have a balcony which they think is awesome!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #184
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark
Edited---Sorry I didnt see that Jahber had already answered before I posted below

Great upgrade. But I'm wondering, when you book a GTY, I thought that meant ANY room within a specific category (IGT, VGT, etc.). So, how did you know you were originally a 7a? Am I missing something?
A gty is a guarentee for a category specfic room type. You are paying regular price for the lowest cat you are willing to take, you cant pick your room mostly because the cat is pretty sold out. But DCL banks on people cancelling so they will sell so many gtys which says they at least gty that cat or better and that you will have a room on the ship. You are paying full price amd taking a chance on where you get located but if you dont like your room you can appeal to DCL to see if there is anything they can do cause there is no restrictions. Normally offered more than 75 days out you put a deposit down and can cancel under the normal rules.

The other ones vgt/ogt/igt is a broad based multi cat selection you are just choosing the view you are ok with, getting a discount and also are restricted to you get what they give you. This is normally offered less than 75 days out because of the discount you pay up front and cant cancel.

There is a seperate thread to track the VGT/OGT/IGTs

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #185
nlm74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You are paying full price amd taking a chance on where you get located but if you dont like your room you can appeal to DCL to see if there is anything they can do cause there is no restrictions.
We were GTY 9c and got "upgraded" to 9a. In looking up room reviews, people it's awful with noise because it's right above the movie theatre. Kind of concerned with my 2 little ones needing naps during the day and then they're in bed by 10. Who do I "appeal" to? Can I call or do I have to wait until we get to the port?

Thanks
nlm74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #186
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

We booked 2 QTY 9C cabins (requested connecting).. And we have 2 other friends that booked at the same time as us. One is a Cat 9B QTY, and the other 7A QTY... The day after Final payment date (90 days I think??)... The 9B Cat was assigned, but we are still waiting on the others to be assigned. All of our reservations are linked.. So, I kindof hoped we would all be together SOMEWHERE on the ship.. Didn't matter where!! Lol. It's possible that We could be upgraded to a 9B... But there are no 7As on the second floor (which is where the assigned room is located). Oh well... I'm glad just to be sailing on the Fantasy!!! Praying for connecting rooms though!!!
Just wondering... It seems to be a pattern that most QTY cabins are assigned at or around Final Payment date (90 days out), and then again assignments are made at 45days out. IGT, OGT, and VGT cabins are assigned at any time up until 14days prior to sailing. Is this correct? Does DCL have a specific time table they assign cabins or am I just making assumptions? Just curious... Would love to have our room assignment in 13-14 days!!!

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #187
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm74 View Post
We were GTY 9c and got "upgraded" to 9a. In looking up room reviews, people it's awful with noise because it's right above the movie theatre. Kind of concerned with my 2 little ones needing naps during the day and then they're in bed by 10. Who do I "appeal" to? Can I call or do I have to wait until we get to the port?

Thanks
I would call and talk to someone at DCL. Not sure if they will move you, but it's worth a try!!! If they say they cant move you..You may have better luck asking for a downgrade to a 9b or 9c ..but look over the deck plans and maybe ask for a specific location... Like deck 2 near the elevators.. Or something like that. Have your deck plans in hand when you call!! Good luck!! Let us know how things go!!

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #188
nlm74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would call and talk to someone at DCL. Not sure if they will move you, but it's worth a try!!! If they say they cant move you..You may have better luck asking for a downgrade to a 9b or 9c ..but look over the deck plans and maybe ask for a specific location... Like deck 2 near the elevators.. Or something like that. Have your deck plans in hand when you call!! Good luck!! Let us know how things go!!
I called yesterday and spoke with a very sweet DCL agent. Although she was nice, I'm kind of skeptical about her knowledge. She kept on putting me on hold to ask her supervisor and in the end was told that I can downgrade, but I would have to cancel this reservation and make a new one and I would loose $600 because of the cancellation policy? She also said there's no guarantee that I won't be upgraded again.....
Does that sound right?

I thought I could get around it because I booked a 9c and was "upgraded" to 9a. Although I'm thankful for the 9a it's not what I booked.

I asked if I would have better luck changing my room at the port and she said no, you can't change your room at the port at all. I asked if we take the room disturbs my children's sleep what's the chance that we can get moved. She said, no they won't move you.

The DIS agent was trying to tell me "don't worry, I'm sure the room will be fine, I'm sure you won't hear anything." But every report on this page and cruise critic says it's LOUD.
I'm indecisive about what to do (we will NOT be forfeiting $600).

Advice?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #189
bunny
DIS Veteran

When is your sail date? I don't think the DCL agent is correct. Are there any other 9As available? Are you past the final payment date? With a GTY not a OGT which is restricted you should be allowed to change cabins within the same category for no price change.
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #190
bunny
DIS Veteran

Check out this thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2924187
Also I saw which sailing you were on. There are 9Cs available and a 10A- 5224. The 10A cabin is supposed to be nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #191
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm74

I called yesterday and spoke with a very sweet DCL agent. Although she was nice, I'm kind of skeptical about her knowledge. She kept on putting me on hold to ask her supervisor and in the end was told that I can downgrade, but I would have to cancel this reservation and make a new one and I would loose $600 because of the cancellation policy? She also said there's no guarantee that I won't be upgraded again.....
Does that sound right?

I thought I could get around it because I booked a 9c and was "upgraded" to 9a. Although I'm thankful for the 9a it's not what I booked.

I asked if I would have better luck changing my room at the port and she said no, you can't change your room at the port at all. I asked if we take the room disturbs my children's sleep what's the chance that we can get moved. She said, no they won't move you.

The DIS agent was trying to tell me "don't worry, I'm sure the room will be fine, I'm sure you won't hear anything." But every report on this page and cruise critic says it's LOUD.
I'm indecisive about what to do (we will NOT be forfeiting $600).

Advice?
I would call back... I find that sometimes it depends on the person you get. DH is better at these things then I am so sometimes I have him call. Sometimes it all depends on who amswers the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #192
timandlesley
The tag fairy may not but the Tag Genie does!!!

I was very concerned after seeing our cabin assignment too because the only reviews on here of it are awful, talking about noise. I called and they said there is nothing they can do, they can't change me- if anyone hears otherwise please let me know.

ALL NEW"Keep Moving Forward" TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907120
DISNEY DREAM/AKL CONCIERGE JUNE 2011 TRIP REPORT "TimandLesley's If The Boat's A Rockin' Don't Come A...........TR with TONS of pics and video!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2752980
Nov. 2010 Adults Only TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2601328
"SUM OF OUR THRILLS" June 2010 TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2497427
ALL GIRLS TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2454788
Tim's Disapalooza guys only TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2362085
First Times TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34183633&posted=1#post34183633
18 DAYS IN DISNEY!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2224335
Read my blog: www.livinglifeaslesley.blogspot.com
timandlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #193
nlm74
Mouseketeer

Thank You rosermama & bunny!!

SO I called back and they were able to "downgrade" me. She only offered me one room Deck 2 2140 on the Magic (ach I should have asked what else they had). I know this is an aft room, and may be loud when we come to port, but I hopefully it will be better than the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the movie theatre. Anyone have feedback about this room? Should I have stuck with rm 5000. Please ease my anxiety.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #194
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm74 View Post
SO I called back and they were able to "downgrade" me. She only offered me one room Deck 2 2140 on the Magic (ach I should have asked what else they had). I know this is an aft room, and may be loud when we come to port, but I hopefully it will be better than the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the movie theatre. Anyone have feedback about this room? Should I have stuck with rm 5000. Please ease my anxiety.

Thanks!
I would definitely choose 2140 over 5000. You can pretty much gauge when you will be pulling into port. In fact, except when pulling in during the wee hours of the morning, we have not be in our stateroom as the ship docks. With 5000 it's a crapshoot when the noise from the theatre will be bothersome. Yes, you know when the shows are...but, you will not know the movie schedule (and if movies will be shown in there) ahead of sailing.

I'd stick with what you have on Deck 2!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #195
bunny
DIS Veteran

We always stay on Deck 2 and have never had a bad room. Deck 2 is a great location. BTW, if you go on the DCL website and put in your reservation, you may be able to change rooms yourself or at least see which ones are available. If you find one you like better, call back and switch again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: