Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #46
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLY1985 View Post
Thank you!!!! I'm glad to be getting some readers - I haven't had a lot of comments so far.
Well, I'm still here. Sometimes I just don't know what to say, but I am certainly still here and still enjoying it! You have great pictures, it makes me feel like I am back there. We went down in July, and I am having seriously withdrawals now. But rest assured that you still have readers, we just may not comment every single time...but we are here!

Quote:
The line to get in took a while – it seems some people just cannot function at the turnstiles.
Maybe they all got their tickets from Undercover Tourist, like me. And had a whole week of them not scanning, like me. Aaargghhh, it was a nightmare! I had always gotten my tickets from AAA, but thought I would be smart and save $30 this time around. They were paper instead of plastic, not sure if that was why they didn't work or what, but it was very frustrating. One day mine would work and my cousin's wouldn't, the next day it would be mine that didn't work. They told me on the last day that I should go to Guest Services and they could issue us new ones......well thanks for that bit of information on the LAST DAY! Anyhoo....sorry about that little threadjacking rant....but maybe that was why the lines seemed slow for you

Quote:
I had to make jokes about ducking for the duck which no one found amusing. Oh well!

Quote:
There is nothing like a Mickey bar!!!!
Totally agree. And at home I NEVER eat the choc covered icecream bars. But there is just something about these. Really good quality vanilla and thick yummy chocolate!

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #47
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
I really enjoyed reading your journal! We will be at WDW next year around the same time (last week of May, first week of June) and I am not liking all of the rain stories!! Although we know June is the rainiest month in Florida, so I guess we take that chance!
Danica

Thank you! I have to say, I've have visited Florida every month of the year except March. I have never seen as much rain as I did on this trip. We still had a great time - hey its Disney!

2014 Old Key West 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 Dining Review http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1556109

2003 Wilderness Lodge
2000 All Star Movies 1998 Fort Wilderness Cabins
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #48
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Well, I'm still here. Sometimes I just don't know what to say, but I am certainly still here and still enjoying it! You have great pictures, it makes me feel like I am back there. We went down in July, and I am having seriously withdrawals now. But rest assured that you still have readers, we just may not comment every single time...but we are here!

Maybe they all got their tickets from Undercover Tourist, like me. And had a whole week of them not scanning, like me. Aaargghhh, it was a nightmare! I had always gotten my tickets from AAA, but thought I would be smart and save $30 this time around. They were paper instead of plastic, not sure if that was why they didn't work or what, but it was very frustrating. One day mine would work and my cousin's wouldn't, the next day it would be mine that didn't work. They told me on the last day that I should go to Guest Services and they could issue us new ones......well thanks for that bit of information on the LAST DAY! Anyhoo....sorry about that little threadjacking rant....but maybe that was why the lines seemed slow for you

Totally agree. And at home I NEVER eat the choc covered icecream bars. But there is just something about these. Really good quality vanilla and thick yummy chocolate!
Hi Solana! Thanks for the comments.

We got our tickets from Undercover Tourist for the first time this trip (we too always get them from AAA). I had read on these boards to take them to guest services at our resort and get them put on our key card. We did this right away and I'm glad we did. No problems with three of them but they could not get my husbands to work. It took several tries and the Cast Member commented on the trouble we would have had at the turnstiles!

I also never eat the chocolate coated vanilla bars at home. They just dont taste good. But I Mickey bars!

2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Hi Linda! found you! this has been fun reading but you know that I can't resist chiming in...
Quote:
And now I will introduce you to the cast of characters:

Jesse/Linda/Doug/Zach

this is such a nice photo of you four!

Quote:

Grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. First trip was with my parents, grandmother and cousin during the Bicentennial when I was 13.

aaaahh flashbacks! I loved Sunday nights! Your addiction is as old as my brother

Quote:
Find our brick*** and take a pic

***And what is this? The Walk Around the World Brick. These are the bricks you see as you exit the monorail and head to the MK. There are some heading out the pathway toward the GF, some heading toward the CT and I believe some at POLY. They started offering them for sale around 1994. At that time, we were planning another child so I wanted to wait until said child was born before purchasing a brick. Zach was born in 1995 and I ordered our brick a while later. Our brick has the year 96 on it. It also has the town we lived in at the time and moved from in 97 (sigh). I wish I would have just put Pennsylvania. So we try to get a picture each year. So far we only missed getting the pic in 2003 – don’t know why.
hmm one of these days I will have to look for your brick but give me a clue!

Quote:
CHAPTER 2 – WHERE ARE WE GOING? PLUS PRE-TRIP
I just love this resort too. I have to find a way to get Joe to like it again. Seeing your photos of the refurbed room may help. Our last room was in major need of refurbishment.
I am SO jealous of your upgraded view!!!

Quote:
Since it’s an air-conditioned wait and it would be our last ride of the day, we decided to stay. It was worth the wait.

love this!
Quote:
On the boat dock at the Wilderness Lodge:

Zach looks thrilled

Quote:

Trail’s End is an all you can eat barbeque. It has peel and eat shrimp, beef brisket, ribs and the same fried chicken as the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. They serve their drinks in mason jars. I had the unsweetened ice tea and it was very good.
what? no sangria?

The Keys to the Kingdom Tour sounds like it was excellent. and you really accomplished a lot for having been on a tour in the morning. That Lapu Lapu looks yummy

You got some great shots on the Safari (you apparently didn't inherit your mom's photo taking abilities) - we didn't do the new safari ride since we did the tour, so I'm looking forward to the new "story line" for the ride next time.

Quote:
. Upon entering our room, we found this.

what a nice birthday surprise! don't tell Joe
Quote:
Doug and I did the Seafood for two dish.

we had this as well and yes it was excellent!
all caught up now!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #50
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Hi Linda! found you! this has been fun reading but you know that I can't resist chiming in...

Hey Maire! Glad you found it!
hmm one of these days I will have to look for your brick but give me a clue!

Next time you go, I'll give you directions. It's fun looking, kinda like a scavenger hunt.

I just love this resort too. I have to find a way to get Joe to like it again. Seeing your photos of the refurbed room may help. Our last room was in major need of refurbishment.
I am SO jealous of your upgraded view!!!

It's such a great resort! I'd probably never luck out and get a view like that again.
By now you've seen how much my boys L..o....v...e getting their pictures taken.

The Keys to the Kingdom Tour sounds like it was excellent. and you really accomplished a lot for having been on a tour in the morning. That Lapu Lapu looks yummy

We did and it was!

You got some great shots on the Safari (you apparently didn't inherit your mom's photo taking abilities) - we didn't do the new safari ride since we did the tour, so I'm looking forward to the new "story line" for the ride next time.

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely don't have my Mom's photo skills
all caught up now!
Stay tuned, I have a few more chapters to load.

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #51
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Wow, the seafood platter looked awesome. I love seafood.

I know where I'm going to eat next time we are there.

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
Wow, the seafood platter looked awesome. I love seafood.

I know where I'm going to eat next time we are there.
It really was! I will definitely get it again!

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had read on these boards to take them to guest services at our resort and get them put on our key card.
I had planned on doing this too, but I just forgot. I thought about it at check in, but their computers were down and I guess I just didn't think about it again after that. Will do it next time as I don't forsee us ever booking a package deal. It would be much easier to have the tickets on our KTTW card.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #54
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

CHAPTER 8 – DAY SIX
EPCOT/WALK AROUND THE WORLD BRICK/MORE RAIN & CANCELED PLANS

Thursday, June 14
Today was Epcot day so we wanted to arrive for rope drop. Ran down for coffees for Doug and I and sat on the balcony. The guys did the usual Roaring Forks. By this time I was just getting a banana for breakfast and a water.
Of course since we were in a hurry today, we had the usual bus issues. Then it took forever to get through the turnstiles. By the time we got through the gates, it was 9:20AM. We headed straight back to Soarin’ and I wanted in line for the Fast Pass. The return time ended up being 1:00PM. I took them but there was no way we would make it. We had a 12:05 ADR at the Biergarten.
While we were in The Land, we went on one of my favorites Living with the Land. I controlled myself this time and only took one picture.

No usual picture of the giant lemons!
Zach wanted to go on Mission Space Orange and no one else wanted to go. We walked over there and he went to get in line. Doug, Jesse and I used the time to go into Mousegears. Doug needed a new pair of sunglasses. I was looking for a cute Belle shirt. He got glasses but I didn’t find what I was looking for. We were done and went out to sit on the bench and wait for Zach. When he was through, we went back to Club Cool for more tasting. I really like the watermelon flavored one – I think it’s China.
Now was time for Maelstrom and World Showcase was just opening.

We got right in line. They hadn’t opened the doors yet. And we waited and waited and waited.

It was about 15 minutes before they finally let us in. It was really HOT! After the ride, we wanted to cool off some more so we stayed for the film. A lot of people did – I think everyone just wanted to cool off.
It was nearing our lunch ADR so we headed right to Germany.

We got our beeper and had some time to wait so I decided to check out the shops. Jesse went with me and Doug and Zach waited near the Biergarten. I wanted to see this new (to me) shop:

Everything looked so YUMMY!
By the time I was done looking, it was time for our ADR. We went in and we seated at a table of 8 with another family.

I ordered Riesling and Doug got a beer. We all headed up to get our plates. I enjoy the Biergarten.
We have been eating there for lunch on almost every trip. It used to be a sit down restaurant at one time. Even though I’m not a big buffet fan, I think it works well here because there are so many different things to sample. My big mistake with this ADR was not realizing that the show does not start until 1:00. I would have never made such an early ressie.
We were done eating by around 12:45, the people next to us had paid and left. When our server realized we had wanted to see the show, she told us to take our time and she held off giving us our check. She was so sweet! She brought out a birthday card for Zach written in German! Really nice touch. We sat and relaxed and watched the show. When it began, they wished Zach a Happy Birthday!

After the show, we left. I had to take Zach for a “Getting off his Braces” celebration. A nice caramel apple!!!

It was past our Soarin’ Fast Pass time so we decided to head out. Instead of the bus, we decided to take the monorail back and then get the boat back to the Lodge.
Took some photos on the way out.

We got on the monorail and headed to the TTC. Got off that monorail and down the ramp and up the other side to the Resort monorail. This is such a pain. You used to be able to walk across but they have it blocked off now so you have to go down and up. The good news was we got the Avengers monorail!!! We had been watching this one all week and really wanted to see it up close. We loved the Avengers movie. (I am a Thor fan!)

I suddenly had a great idea! Since the walkway is right next to the monorail, we should go get our brick picture! And what is “The Brick” you ask?
I’m sure you’ve all seen the bricks that you walk on upon entering Magic Kingdom. Well, back in the early 90’s they offered them for sale. Since I love Disney and we had our honeymoon there, I really wanted to get one. BUT it was 1994 and I was pregnant with our second child. I wanted to have ALL our names on the brick and since we didn’t know what we were having, I had to wait. Well after Zach was born in ’95 I was a bit busy! I finally ordered our brick in the beginning of 1996. I also put the town we were living in at that time on the brick which I wish I didn’t since we moved away from there the following year.
Anyway, because so many people bought bricks, they ended up going on the path along the water instead of right in front of the Magic Kingdom. I was disappointed at the time but I’m glad now because our brick has stayed in nice shape. When I originally purchased the brick, I got a certificate with a picture of it and a map telling how to get to it. The first time we saw our brick was our 1998 trip. I have taken a picture of the boys with their brick on each visit (except 2003 – don’t know what happened there!)
So, we made our way down the path from the monorail and hung a right. In 2007, it took us forever to find it and it was really HOT that day. I made a copy of the picture taken in ’07 for location – I knew it was next to a light pole and short palm bush and it was also on the edge. We found it right away. The boys are thrilled of course to get their picture taken with it!

We headed back to the room and just hung around the resort. Doug and I walked around over in the DVC area to check out their pool and then went to Trout Pass.
This was the only other night I did not make a dinner reservation. Our plan was for Doug and I to head over to Epcot and eat our way around the world. The boys would get their own meal and do what they wanted to do.
AGAIN, it started pouring right around the time we were getting ready to leave. Doug felt bad because my other evening plans had been wrecked by rain so we decided to try it. I mean this was not just normal light Florida rain but huge downpours with lots of lightning. I can honestly tell you the most rain we ever had on any of our trips was a light afternoon shower.
Our plan was to take the bus to Hollywood Studios and then take the boat to Epcot since we were only going to World Showcase. Also, Doug had never gone in the back entrance to Epcot and he wanted to see it. We got on the bus with a few other brave souls and got off at the Studios. It was not letting up at all and the radar showed it did not have any intention of stopping. SO, instead of going to the boat, we got back in line for the bus and went back to Wilderness Lodge. On the way I called Zach and asked him to get us a reservation for Whispering Canyon for 4. I really wanted that smoked trout that I couldn’t get the other night. The boys wanted to eat in Roaring Forks and so they made a reservation for just Doug and I.
We have only eaten in Whispering Canyon once in 2003 when my parents were with us. The food was good but we are not crazy about all the antics. I know some people like them but when we go to dinner we like to sit and relax and talk. We couldn’t get a ressie until 8:30 so we went into Territory Lounge for cocktails.
When it was time for our ressie, we went and were seated promptly right near the front, not the best location in the world.

Our server joked with us a little and we joked back but he didn’t get carried away. He really did a good job. Maybe they are trained to feel out the customers as to how much joking they want. I ordered the smoked trout and a salad for my dinner and Doug ordered the Skillet.
Our server made sure to tell me that the trout was cold which is what I expected of smoked trout but maybe other people ordered it not expecting it. Here is the trout:

Salad

Skillet

We both enjoyed our meal very much. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to Whispering Canyon. After dinner it was close to 10:00 so we headed to the room to watch Wishes from our balcony.

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
starousse
DIS Veteran

What an amazing woods view room you have.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #56
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
What an amazing woods view room you have.
I know - we were so lucky to get it!!!

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #57
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
I controlled myself this time and only took one picture.
No usual picture of the giant lemons!

this is a great photo - most of the pictures I took on LWL came out fuzzy from the slow movement. and I don't even remember seeing giant lemons. Clearly I need to do this again!

Quote:
Now was time for Maelstrom and World Showcase was just opening.

We got right in line. They hadn’t opened the doors yet. And we waited and waited and waited.

I love the Maelstorm ride, and the movie is great to just chill out. Joe usually rolls his eyes when I say we are riding it. (notice I don't ask LOLO

Quote:

mmmmm my favorites! Did Zach enjoy his?

Quote:
The boys are thrilled of course to get their picture taken with it!

thrilled. yeah. that's how they look but I have a general idea now, I will look next year!
Quote:
Quote:

We both enjoyed our meal very much. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to Whispering Canyon. After dinner it was close to 10:00 so we headed to the room to watch Wishes from our balcony.
That salad look soo yummy. I can tell its after 5 pm!!! You just had the best view from that room! AWESOME to watch Wishes from your balcony!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
solana131
DIS Veteran

That salad looks really yummy. We all had the skillet the one time I went to WCC and no one was very impressed. I think I might have to give it another try and order that salad!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #59
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
this is a great photo - most of the pictures I took on LWL came out fuzzy from the slow movement. and I don't even remember seeing giant lemons. Clearly I need to do this again!
I don't remember seeing the water lilies before which is why I took this one - they were so pretty! I've only ever saw white and pink ones before.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
I love the Maelstorm ride, and the movie is great to just chill out. Joe usually rolls his eyes when I say we are riding it. (notice I don't ask LOLO
I can't believe Joe doesn't like Maelstrom!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
mmmmm my favorites! Did Zach enjoy his?
He sure did!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
thrilled. yeah. that's how they look but I have a general idea now, I will look next year!

I can give you more specific directions when you go.[SIZE=4][COLOR=#4b0082]
That salad look soo yummy. I can tell its after 5 pm!!! You just had the best view from that room! AWESOME to watch Wishes from your balcony!
Yeah, the chances of getting that room again are slim to none. We usually aren't the luckiest people in the world

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #60
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
That salad looks really yummy. We all had the skillet the one time I went to WCC and no one was very impressed. I think I might have to give it another try and order that salad!
I think the skillet is hit or miss. I know I've read that the meat is sometimes dry. I think I got it years ago but it's too much food for me. The salad was very good and if you like smoked trout, I would recommend it.

2012 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge

2003 Wilderness Lodge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: