Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #31
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Joining in!

I have to admit, I've giggled all the way through thus far. Your DH wanting to have his pic taken with the 7 Dwarves, then consenting to wearing a costume ... you sure he's not a Disney Freak like the rest of us?

Also love his "It's just food!" That's the point where my DH has gotten to, I'm afraid. They just don't understand!

Anyhoo, can't wait to read more details - great report thus far!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Joining in!

I have to admit, I've giggled all the way through thus far. Your DH wanting to have his pic taken with the 7 Dwarves, then consenting to wearing a costume ... you sure he's not a Disney Freak like the rest of us?

Also love his "It's just food!" That's the point where my DH has gotten to, I'm afraid. They just don't understand!

Anyhoo, can't wait to read more details - great report thus far!
Thanks for joining in BearcatsFan!!

I know there are lurkers out there, it's ok, I'm often a lurker too.

I'm thinking DH must be thinking it's not manly to love Disney. He can pretend all he wants, I know he likes it too, maybe not as much as me, but I'm working on it.

Yeah, they don't seem to get the Disney food obsession, which is why I love the Dis.

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I think I left off where DH broke my phone the other day I went to the Apple store, and as suspected, they charged me $199 for another phone. They also sold me the applecare+ plan for $49, normally $99. With this, I get two more breakages covered for $49 each. So if it gets wet, or DH abuses it again, I can get another for $49. I guess this is ok. but it was almost $300 that I wasn't planning on spending last week

I also forgot to mention last week when we were in NYC, and again while in the mall for the phone, we stopped in the Disney stores in each location. Sadly, I bought nothing. In fact, both stores are quite disappointing(probably because I love World of Disney). I do want to get a new Disney shirt or two, but I might just wait til I'm in Downtown Disney, or the Emporium since I have a few to start my week with.

Now that my countdown is really starting to look like a real trip, I guess I need to start thinking about packing and the little details. Last trip we used Garden Grocer and had beverages, crackers/cheese, breakfast items delivered. I don't think I'll do that this trip, unless MIL wants to, since I won't have enough to make the $40 min myself. Since my guys won't be there the first two nights, we'll have all those CS credits (I'm going to stockpile their snack credits for food/wine fest), plus with the mug being provided, not a lot of need for beverages. I'm thinking I'll put a 6 or 12pk of water in my checked bag, and maybe some granola bars for a quick morning start, just to have something available in the room.

I also need to go through the suitcases to see if we have enough for all of us. I want to each have a carry on, then one collective checked bag for toiletries and other liquids. The zipper broke on my favorite carry-on last year, I think I am going to try to take it to get fixed, maybe a tailor would do this. I just love this bag, it's pretty big for a carryon, and can expand 3-4 inches if needed. Since we are taking SW down, we'll check everything except backpacks, but on the way home we are taking Airtran, which charges $20/bag, so I just want one getting checked on the way home. Details details...

I've still been unable to move the Coral reef res back. I've checked several times a day. I honestly didn't think this would be that difficult since it's the first day of F/W, I thought a lot of people wouldn't even want dinner res, but alas, apparently they do! Worst case, they go at 4p, and we have the option to join them or not, no big deal.

I'm feeling pressure to get moving on my Disney movie watching, as it's been pretty slow moving. I'm feeling Beauty and the Beast coming up this week. I would love to see Cinderella, but I only have it on VHS, and I don't believe I have a VHS player that works anymore. Can't wait til this comes out in October.

Once the trip gets this close, time just starts slipping away til I'm at the 2 week mark panic stricken It's always fine though, I just need to start my lists of what I need. Strange, but the first thing on my list is always earplugs. I would be lost without them. I actually use them at home too, since I have a giant dog that sleeps on my bed and snores like a wilderbeast.

I also will go over my park plans a dozen times and tweak them a bit, maybe I'll do that today. I actually picture myself going through the park while doing the things on my list to see if my plan has flaws, I know, it's a little kooky, but come on, you probably do it too. Then a week before, I print them out and make them into index card size so I can take it with me. I can't imagine how I could forget to do something when I've studied it a million times, but it makes me feel better.

I'm enjoying doing my pre-trip report since it lets me talk about my trip without my family getting annoyed listening to me, so thanks to all my readers for making this possible

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #34
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Sort of Disney related....

My friend had surgery last week and a bunch of us have been taking turns cooking food and sending it over for her. I was trying to be a little creative the other night and decided instead of making regular mashed potatos, I made the cream cheese potatos from Le Cellier...OMG, THEY WERE INCREDIBLE so creamy, I could have eaten them all myself. I got the recipe from Allears. I'd just suggest using much less milk than they call for as they were soupy initially.

Oh, and just 59 days left or it's equivalent 8 weeks and 3 days

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #35
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
I really don't want to trek back to the room to change, so I'm looking for something that would fit in a backpack, and also not too heavy/hot. I'm thinking of packing some facepaint and grey/white spray, and cobwebs, and just being gouls, but I've got to think of some clothing options to go with it.
So what did you decide on? I think the facepaint, spray and cobwebs option is good, but I'd want long sleeves and pants with that, which doesn't sound fun in September.

Quote:
I can't plan a trip for a while since next year is DS17's graduation trip.
I totally plan trips two years out. I start with all the stuff I wanted to do the last one that gets pushed ahead! And the details tend to change, sometimes radically, if you start that far back, so plenty of things to fiddle with.

That pineapple cupcake looks gooood! My hubby has no sense of smell, so he's got "it's just food" with a vengeance! I'm pretty much resigned to not eating out much, but I do want to do the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Faire next time. And the Wishes Dessert thingie at the MK, but I think we'll be going months earlier than planned, so that may not be possible.

Quote:
I love their products, but they're not made sturdy enough, they really need to put in a different kind of glass.
I think they're more fragile because I-Pads and I-Pods have such big screens. The other ones have more non-glass on the face to take the flex if it hits on the corner.

Quote:
I'm feeling pressure to get moving on my Disney movie watching, as it's been pretty slow moving. I'm feeling Beauty and the Beast coming up this week. I would love to see Cinderella, but I only have it on VHS, and I don't believe I have a VHS player that works anymore.
I feel your pain. My older ones saw tons of Disney flicks on VHS; we're slowly introducing youngest to them with Netflix. I hate buying stuff I already own. But I will say I love getting DVDs that have extras, and some of the Disney movies have as much extras as movie, which I really appreciate.

Quote:
I actually use them at home too, since I have a giant dog that sleeps on my bed and snores like a wilderbeast.

We had a cat who started snored when she got older -- she would get loud enough to wake me up, even though I slept in the back room and she was usually sleeping out in the living room! How do they get such big snores out of such (comparatively) little bodies? Although some dogs can weigh as much as hubby -- or my grandpa, who takes the human snoring prize in our family. Grandpa would snooze out in the living room every afternoon, and I'd tell my brother horror stories with grandpa supplying the sound effects. It was our own private radio show!

Quote:
I actually picture myself going through the park while doing the things on my list to see if my plan has flaws, I know, it's a little kooky, but come on, you probably do it too.
I did this even before I'd seen the parks -- and, between the maps and poring over so many stunner pics at the Dis, I had a fairly accurate mental image of stuff, to boot.

Quote:
I'm enjoying doing my pre-trip report since it lets me talk about my trip without my family getting annoyed listening to me,
I'm thinking about doing a pre-trip report for perzactly that reason.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #36
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Under 60 days - woohoooo!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
So what did you decide on? I think the facepaint, spray and cobwebs option is good, but I'd want long sleeves and pants with that, which doesn't sound fun in September. We're definitely going to go with the facepaint, spray and cobwebs, but yeah, long sleeves and pants goes better, but it will probably be too hot. I was contemplating some sort of dress or hospital gown for me, I have no idea what for him. It will have to be shorts, but maybe a long sleeve button up shirt that's been shredded in some spots. I need to do some more research on this.

I totally plan trips two years out. I start with all the stuff I wanted to do the last one that gets pushed ahead! And the details tend to change, sometimes radically, if you start that far back, so plenty of things to fiddle with. Haha, I do have some fake trips planned out for various times of year, I imagine that maybe one year I'll get an Annual pass in December, then go during the flower/garden festival in the spring, then maybe a summer trip, then another f/w trip, but then reality sets in

That pineapple cupcake looks gooood! My hubby has no sense of smell, so he's got "it's just food" with a vengeance! I'm pretty much resigned to not eating out much, but I do want to do the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Faire next time. And the Wishes Dessert thingie at the MK, but I think we'll be going months earlier than planned, so that may not be possible. I can't imagine not being able to smell/taste food, that really stinks! I did do Park Faire when I went with my BFF, food was ok (but not what was listed in allears), characters were cute, but since we were two adults, we got glossed over, with the exception of the stepmother - she was hilarious since BFF is a stepmother too

I think they're more fragile because I-Pads and I-Pods have such big screens. The other ones have more non-glass on the face to take the flex if it hits on the corner.agreed

I feel your pain. My older ones saw tons of Disney flicks on VHS; we're slowly introducing youngest to them with Netflix. I hate buying stuff I already own. But I will say I love getting DVDs that have extras, and some of the Disney movies have as much extras as movie, which I really appreciate.

We had a cat who started snored when she got older -- she would get loud enough to wake me up, even though I slept in the back room and she was usually sleeping out in the living room! How do they get such big snores out of such (comparatively) little bodies? Although some dogs can weigh as much as hubby -- or my grandpa, who takes the human snoring prize in our family. Grandpa would snooze out in the living room every afternoon, and I'd tell my brother horror stories with grandpa supplying the sound effects. It was our own private radio show! Lol, what is it about old men and snoring, my FIL is the same way, I'll be able to hear him through the walls of our rooms in POR, yet another reason for the earplugs. I'll have to post a pic of my giant dog, he is pretty cute

I did this even before I'd seen the parks -- and, between the maps and poring over so many stunner pics at the Dis, I had a fairly accurate mental image of stuff, to boot. And in my mind I'm skipping through the park tossing rose petals from a basket

I'm thinking about doing a pre-trip report for perzactly that reason.
I'd highly recommend it. It is helping kill the time, while sharing with others who love Disney, instead of feeling compelled to discuss it with my family, who get sick of hearing me

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Well, another weekend passes by. Sadly, I am just wishing this summer away so I can be closer to my trip (only 55 days!). I can't believe August is in 2 days!! I'm thinking I really need to get myself motivated so that I'm not trying to get trip stuff done along with back to school stuff. The kids both go back on Sept 5 and it's my youngests first year in high school, and oldests senior year. Big year for us!

I need to start writing my to do lists and checking things off. This weekend I need to take the suitcase to see if it can be fixed, then figure out if I have enough suitcases for carryons. I have a few other things that need attention like my drivers license expires in August and God forbid if I get to the airport and can't get on because it's expired, and the kids passports expire in Sept (not that they need them anytime soon, I just like to keep them up to date in case we need to leave the country for any reason)

Oh, and I have to pay off my trip next week. I actually find this exciting as it means I'm getting closer

Let's see, Friday I ordered a cute Mickey notebook and pen so I can take it with me in the parks to keep my notes for my TR.

This weekend I got DH to watch Tangled with me, but he fell asleep, I know, how could he??!!

Friday I decided I needed to lose some weight before my trip (well, it's not like I didn't know this, but I just decided to do something about it). DH and I went to runners world and got some new sneakers so I started running on the treadmill on Saturday. OMG, these new sneakers fit like Cinderella's slipper. I need to lose about 35lbs. Obviously I"m not going to lose it all in 8 weeks, but I'd like to lose about 15ish, then I won't feel too guilty pigging out on cupcakes all week. I tried running in the fall, even had a journal on the wish board, but I kept getting shin splints and blisters. I think this went on for 5 or 6 weeks before I called it quits (when I couldn't even walk down the steps anymore due to the pain). Hopefully a good pair of sneakers will make the difference this time.

My other motivation to losing weight is the photopass. There will be photographic evidence of me on this trip and I'd prefer to not look like the 8th dwarf, Chunky

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd highly recommend it. It is helping kill the time, while sharing with others who love Disney, instead of feeling compelled to discuss it with my family, who get sick of hearing me
You talked me into it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2966813

Quote:
Oh, and I have to pay off my trip next week. I actually find this exciting as it means I'm getting closer

I love paying off the room or whatever because then it feels more real, somehow.

Quote:
I tried running in the fall, even had a journal on the wish board, but I kept getting shin splints and blisters. I think this went on for 5 or 6 weeks before I called it quits (when I couldn't even walk down the steps anymore due to the pain).

When I'm having trouble with pain, sometimes using the rebounder (mini-trampoline) works better. It absorbs more of the jolt, I think. I'm more of a walker than a runner anyhow. When I was younger I was Plumpy -- now I'm Dumpy.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #40
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You talked me into it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2966813

Oh! Good for you! I'll have to jump on over and check it out

I love paying off the room or whatever because then it feels more real, somehow.

When I'm having trouble with pain, sometimes using the rebounder (mini-trampoline) works better. It absorbs more of the jolt, I think. I'm more of a walker than a runner anyhow. When I was younger I was Plumpy -- now I'm Dumpy.
Oh, two new dwarfs! I've been running on the treadmill everyday since Saturday and so far no pain, so I'm hopefull these sneakers a the right ones for me. I'll still be "chunky", but at least my clothes will button while I"m stuffing my face with cupcakes.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Alrighty, I see how it is. I take a couple of days off and I'm relagated to page 3!!!

Anyhooo, yesterday was DH and my 25 year anniversary from the day we met (not wedding anniversary). We minorly observe this date because we were together for 6 years before we got married, so for those 6 years, that was our "anniversary" date. So, he agreed to go see Brave with me last night since I wanted to see it before we go on our trip and it won't be out on video before then. He even stayed awake for most of it. I liked the movie, but liked Tangled better. So I said this after the show and he had the nerve to argue with me that Brave was so much better than Tangled. We had a debate for most of the way home, I didn't feel he had enough info to dispute, since he slept through most of Tangled. I also was a little disappointed (spoiler alert here) that there wasn't a "prince" in this one. I thought that the mean bear would turn back to human and they'd get together, since they had mentioned that he was firstborn in his clan. And what Disney princess movie doesn't have a prince?? The brothers were cute and funny and the Pixar animation was breathtaking, and the little Pixar short beforehand was really cute.

Anyhow, it was funny that two forty somethings were having an argument over a couple of Disney movies. See, I guess he is more interested than he lets on, since at least he has an opinion on the subject rather than not caring at all Oh, and incidentally, my boys were beside themselves that we went to see this when we haven't seen the Dark Knight yet, lol. They told DH that he's whipped.

Moving on, I got my Mickey notebook yesterday

Here it is:

I'm so excited for my new little journal!!

And as any good Dis'er does, I'm second guessing my plan for my solo MK day. I'm tempted to scrap the poly and contemporary lunch debate for Art of Animation I have been looking at pics for this resort since it opened, and it is so darn cute. I want to stay here on a future visit, but was thinking of just going for lunch and checking the place out. Although I'm not too keen on their cupcake choices at the moment. They have some mini 4 pks, but they don't look as good as the poly and contemporary. Ugh, why can't this just be easy. I'm wishing I had more days, but just not possible this time around. Guess I'll need to start planning another phantom trip.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
JennyWren
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I also was a little disappointed (spoiler alert here) that there wasn't a "prince" in this one. I thought that the mean bear would turn back to human and they'd get together, since they had mentioned that he was firstborn in his clan. And what Disney princess movie doesn't have a prince??
These were my thoughts exactly... Call me old-fashioned, but I require a prince.

JennyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #43
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Love the Mickey notebook! I have an old one I picked up at the bank to do my TR note-taking in

Congrats on starting up running again. I tried and tried to run on the treadmill this past Spring, but I found out I totally stink at it! Pain in my calves, shins ... the whole 9. If you have any tips, I'll gladly take them!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #44
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll have to jump on over and check it out
Please do! Although I started talking about our first trip and now it's become a "project" to my brain, so it's essentially become a trip report of a non-Disney trip. But the kids are getting a kick out of it, so whatever. And I really like the format -- so much easier to insert pictures than on LiveJournal.

Quote:
I've been running on the treadmill everyday since Saturday and so far no pain, so I'm hopefull these sneakers a the right ones for me.

Good to hear! I hate shopping for shoes; I've been just buying the exact same shoes again but couldn't find them last time, and the ones I got are not cutting it. I know some people just use sandals, and I was walking in those for a while, but while I think that would work alright at Disney (assuming I manage not to stub my toe on a curb ), my favorite cushy sandals apparently have an affinity for the tree debris for a particular tree I pass on my favorite walk, so that I always have to stop and whack them clean on a post. Also can't cut across grass that's been cut recently -- I swear they've got a static charge going or something.

So really glad that you've found shoes that are working.

Haven't seen Brave yet, but I'd heard your spoiler, and I think I'm going to miss that, too. But how could your hubby possibly sleep through Tangled?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Oh, I just love when I check back and there's comments! Ok, I'm gonna try my first multi-quote here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWren View Post
These were my thoughts exactly... Call me old-fashioned, but I require a prince.
Seriously, what WERE THEY THINKING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Congrats on starting up running again. I tried and tried to run on the treadmill this past Spring, but I found out I totally stink at it! Pain in my calves, shins ... the whole 9. If you have any tips, I'll gladly take them!
Haha, me? give tips?....the only thing I can think of is to get comfortable shoes, it eliminates a whole level of valid excuses

Quote:
Please do! Although I started talking about our first trip and now it's become a "project" to my brain, so it's essentially become a trip report of a non-Disney trip. But the kids are getting a kick out of it, so whatever. And I really like the format -- so much easier to insert pictures than on LiveJournal.

Good to hear! I hate shopping for shoes; I've been just buying the exact same shoes again but couldn't find them last time, and the ones I got are not cutting it. I know some people just use sandals, and I was walking in those for a while, but while I think that would work alright at Disney (assuming I manage not to stub my toe on a curb ), my favorite cushy sandals apparently have an affinity for the tree debris for a particular tree I pass on my favorite walk, so that I always have to stop and whack them clean on a post. Also can't cut across grass that's been cut recently -- I swear they've got a static charge going or something.

So really glad that you've found shoes that are working.

Haven't seen Brave yet, but I'd heard your spoiler, and I think I'm going to miss that, too. But how could your hubby possibly sleep through Tangled?
I promise I will go check out your report this weekend, and leave a comment! It's so much easier to do one than I thought! I haven't done one before because I thought I wouldn't be able to figure out how to do all this stuff like photos, multi quotes, etc. And also, it helps to have readers so I'm not just babbling to myself

As far as shoes, I hate shoe shopping too. I have Fred Flintstone feet, they are short and fat (and I was born with some of them being webbed together so there are ugly scars on some of them, gross), and it's difficult to find something I'm comfortable in for long periods of time. For Disney, I wear croc flip flops and I love them. If they get wet, I'm not slopping around in wet socks/sneakers. For exercise, I do really need sneakers, unless I'm walking with DH, since he's pretty slow I can get away with the crocs.

I have no idea how he could sleep through Tangled, then have the nerve to say it wasn't any good I'm gonna have to make him watch it again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: