Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Joining in! We'll be at POFQ from Sept 18-25th. We're going to MNSSHP on the 21st....so excited! We loved it on our last trip and I can't wait for my son to experience Disney for the first time.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Joining in! We'll be at POFQ from Sept 18-25th. We're going to MNSSHP on the 21st....so excited! We loved it on our last trip and I can't wait for my son to experience Disney for the first time.
Welcome to my PTR Dancegrl!!!

I just love MNSSHP. I love the parade, the fireworks, and of course, getting to trick or treat when I'm 42. I'm sure it's even more fun with little kids. Anyways, I'll look for you on the buses from the 23-25th (they often share)!

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Some more specific plans....

Ok, so I'm quite distracted these past few days as I've dropped tweedledee off at a camp 3 hours away this past Sunday. He's been away from us a few times in the past, but that was with friends or the youth group at church. This time he knew no one. He is normally very confident and comfortable, but he looked so nervous when we dropped him off

So we texted him a bit on Sunday and he was making friends. His roommate is really cool. I texted him three times yesterday and he didn't respond until 9:40pm, telling me that he's having too much fun to be texting and I should go enjoy my time without him We have been looking at colleges lately since he's about to be a senior, and some of them are up to 4 hours away, so this was sort of a test to see what it will be like. It appears that it will be fine. Part of me is happy that I've raised him to be so independant, but of course, part of me is sad that my baby is growing up. When we were dropping him off I told him he looked so grown up all of the sudden, he said he looked the same as yesterday. I said "not to me".

Anyways, moving on with my PTR...
So, I mentioned that there were some specific things I wanted to do during my "alone" time at Magic kingdom. Normally we get there for the opening show, then are racing to get to Space mt/peter pan, then splash/big thunder, but since it's just little ole me, I'm going to take my time and do some things I've never done before.

I think I'll start by getting a fastpass to the Mickey meet and greet (or do it if there is no line developed yet), then I'll stop by to get some of those sorcerers cards (if they are still doing this by then), then maybe a cinnamon bun at the bakery, see the dapper dans and ride the trolley. Then maybe I'll get on the train and take it to fantasyland so I can ride Peter pan, winnie the pooh, and see philharmagic. I've never done Hall of presidents, so I guess this would be a good time for that. and I can't go the the magic kingdom without going to the Haunted mansion, this is my favorite ride in all of Disney. If I'm feeling adventurous, maybe I'll go on Splash, which is my second favorite, but not sure I'll want to walk around wet. I'll also want to do some more character greetings since I'll have photopass, and just stop and listen to the music on main street.

I'm also planning to take the monorail over to the Poly to check out their giftshop. It looks like such a fun shop. I will also probably head up to Capt cooks for lunch and a cupcake. I'm currently torn about eating there or heading over to the Contemporary. The contemporary has that Mahi Mahi sandwich and some great cupcakes that I've been thinking about. I probably won't make up my mind until I'm there, which is the beauty of being solo.

I also have the Dreams come true parade on my list this time, and Dream along with Mickey. I've never done any of these (well, I've probably seen snipits of them while running from one ride to another). I'm not planning to do too many rides by myself, just a few favorites.

Then I will be meeting the in-laws at Narcoosees in the Grand Floridian for Dinner at 5:30. I think the Almond cheesecake there is my favorite dessert in all the land.

So you see, I've got a lot to accomplish before 5:30.

After dinner will be the parade and fireworks, I would like to stay for the kiss goodnight, but we'll see about that.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

So, yesterday was my birthday and I gave myself the day off of work. I colored the gray in my hair that my family keeps giving me (while Peter Pan played in the background , then got my nails done, took tweedledum out to lunch along with my neice and nephew(both in their 20s), took a nap, and read a book. Went out to dinner with prince charming, then went to SILs house where they had cake for me. Cake is a big deal in our family, we all live pretty close to each other, MIL is about 3 blocks away, SIL (and BIL and 5 kids) are about 5 blocks, and BIL (and other SIL)are about 1/2 mile. So one big happy family. Everytime someone sneezes, we have to have cake.

I have to say though, this has been one of my best birthdays ever. So relaxing. And, to keep this Disney Trip report related, I spent some time in the morning inputting my disney movie codes into my disney movie rewards accounts(DH and I both have one), and had enough points in each to order us each a $10 Disney gift card

Tweedledee had the decency to send me a birthday text yesterday and tells me he is "fine". Of course when I inquired further, I was ignored, so I'm not sure what that means. I'm assuming he is doing well.

Last edited by lurkernj; 06-28-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
JennyWren
Mouseketeer

A belated Happy Birthday!!!

Glad you had such a good day.

JennyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWren View Post
A belated Happy Birthday!!!

Glad you had such a good day.
Thanks Jenny!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I have been a bit absent, as I had a few days off from work. Hope you all had a fantastic fourth!

Ok, so I just have to tell you about this whole tweedledee being away thing. After the birthday text on Wednesday, I tried not to bother him. I waited til Thursday, and just texted to ask if he was doing ok. He responded "if this is how it's going to be when I'm in college, I'm going to disconnect my phone" . What a rotten kid. I didn't bother him again after that except to give him his work schedule for when he returned. So those of you with little ones, enjoy them while they are sweet, cause eventually they become this. I didn't think it could happen with this kid, cause he is a really good kid, responsible, respectful (except to his parents apparently), rule following, good student. But even the best fall.

Anyway, so I was so upset by the time monday rolled around (he was coming home on Tuesday), that I sent him a text in the morning that he should take a cab to the train and I'd pick him up at our local train station . This was purely for my enjoyment, as I had every intention of picking him up, I"m just evil sometimes. He responded back "is this some kind of joke", when I said no, he said ok. Around 8:30pm, he was very concerned, and was texting if I was serious, cause he was concerned about finding a way to the train So I let him off the hook and said we'd be there.

The old saying what goes around comes around is alive and well, cuz then God punished me for my evil deed. On the way home from getting him, my airconditioning broke in my car, with two hours left of the trip .

Anyways, he had a great time, showed me some photos (with his arms around various girls), and told us some of what went on. It sounded more like I sent him to Miami beach instead of nerd camp. But he did say he was glad we sent him and he was sad to be leaving. It honestly did make me feel better (and him too I think) about sending him off to college next year.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Moving right along...

Ok, so moving on with the trip portion of my report,

I also mentioned some specific things I wanted to do in DHS. I did want to do the mania that involves Toy story. So we will get there at rope drop to do that and probably get a fastpass for later. Once weíre done, Iím going to go off on my own so I can get a picture with Phineas and Ferb, which I will take with my phone so I can text it to my kids. Then I want to go see Voyage of the little mermaid, draw something in the Animators studio, Great movie ride, get lunch at Starring rolls, mmmm, red velvet cupcake, and go see Beauty and the beast. I also want to do the American Idol experience, maybe Muppets 3D (I know Iíll be doing this with DH and the boys since this is a fav). Then I want to see the Pixar parade at 3p.

Afterward, I will meet up with the in-laws to take a bus to AKL for our 4:30 Boma res. I am sooooo looking forward to this res. Afterward, I want to wander around the resort and check out the animals and giftshop, then Iíll probably take a bus to DTD so I can wander a bit there. Then I will take the boat back to POR and wait for the family. Iím suspecting the in-laws will want to head back to DHS to see Fantasmic after dinner, so I will probably be solo for my evening antics.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
Ha! Caught you with the title, didnít I???
Yes, you totally did!

I have great hopes of hauling the troops to WDW in 2013 while it's still possible, because my oldest is already eight-- I mean, nineteen. (When'd that happen? ) Not that she shows any inclination to move out any time soon. Eldest son, however, is champing at the bit to get out on his own, so if we want to go with him, has to be fairly soon.

Plus we've never gone to WDW as a family. And if I don't get my act together, we never will! Eldest son is too cool for WDW, while second son seems to think going to WDW and actually enjoying it would be a betrayal to his One True Love, SeaWorld. My girls are looking forward to it, though.

Quote:
[B]Iím not a big ďbagĒ type of person, but I have been coveting those Dooney bags for about a year, I really liked the cross-body one.
I am usually not a big D&B bag fan, but I like that one. Especially for that price!

Quote:
So those of you with little ones, enjoy them while they are sweet, cause eventually they become this. I didn't think it could happen with this kid, cause he is a really good kid, responsible, respectful (except to his parents apparently), rule following, good student.
My brother and my eldest son went that route. I think at some point in their teens, they decide being nice makes them a pushover, but because they've had no practice asserting themselves, they go straight from "obedient and kind" to "flat rude." My second son's generally laid back, but he's also never had any problem completely ignoring parental guidance when it fit with his agenda, so I'm assuming he's had enough practice demanding his own way it won't hit him quite so bad.

Knock wood.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Yes, you totally did!

I have great hopes of hauling the troops to WDW in 2013 while it's still possible, because my oldest is already eight-- I mean, nineteen. (When'd that happen? ) Not that she shows any inclination to move out any time soon. Eldest son, however, is champing at the bit to get out on his own, so if we want to go with him, has to be fairly soon.

Plus we've never gone to WDW as a family. And if I don't get my act together, we never will! Eldest son is too cool for WDW, while second son seems to think going to WDW and actually enjoying it would be a betrayal to his One True Love, SeaWorld. My girls are looking forward to it, though. My motto is to always go as soon as possible!! You never know when life is going to throw something unexpected in the plan and wreck a trip!

I am usually not a big D&B bag fan, but I like that one. Especially for that price! Thanks! Can't wait to use it in the parks

My brother and my eldest son went that route. I think at some point in their teens, they decide being nice makes them a pushover, but because they've had no practice asserting themselves, they go straight from "obedient and kind" to "flat rude." My second son's generally laid back, but he's also never had any problem completely ignoring parental guidance when it fit with his agenda, so I'm assuming he's had enough practice demanding his own way it won't hit him quite so bad.

Knock wood.
Thanks for joining in

"flat rude" about sums up his attitude often lately. The good news is that everyone outside of our home tells me what a good kid he is and that I should be proud, so he only reserves his abuse for us, which is better than inflicting it on all mankind. I'm assuming it will pass

Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I must comment how I"m dying inside over this new Free Dining being announced. I really really want to plan another trip in December, but DH would kill me. I've done some fake spreadsheets with fake plans. If I could just win some money

I just can't justify it, especially with the trip in Sept. And next summer we are in discussion with a bunch of our friends with kids going into their senior year about doing a big graduation cruise on the Oasis. I might need to sell a limb in order to go on that.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #27
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My motto is to always go as soon as possible!! You never know when life is going to throw something unexpected in the plan and wreck a trip!

That's our motto at this point. Plus we didn't vacation when my kids were little, for various reasons, and now we're trying to make up for lost time.

Quote:
I'm assuming it will pass
I'm hoping so. Although my brother turns fifty next week, and he's still pretty obnoxious. But, on the upside, he's also still a great guy at heart.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

So, my dreams of sneaking in a winter trip are dead. I wasn't seriously considering it anyways, good thing. Remember when I mentioned last week that my AC stopped working in my car on our way back from Maryland???? We had it fixed this week and the cost was $2000. Apparently this is a somewhat common problem. The compressor explodes and shoots schrapnel into the surrounding parts and they all need to be replaced. I've researched this on-line after we were told this. I drive a 10 yr old CRV, but it only has 92,000 miles on it, so I know there's still a lot of life left in it, and I'm not in the market for a new car at the moment (besides, DH drives a 13yr old pickup truck, so he's next). Luckily we have an emergency savings account, so this does nothing to my September trip, but now I've got to get some more money in that emergency account for when something else happens, because it always does.

To make myself feel better, I ordered my MNSSHP tickets this week. We are going on the 28th. It will just be me and prince charming

After ordering the tickets, I began to think more about my plan that day. Currently the plan is to be in Epcot during the day since it's the first day of F&W fest. I've never been to the feast, I mean fest, so I'm really looking forward to that. I scheduled dinner at Coral Reef at 4p so DH and I can hop on the monorail afterwards and go to the halloween party (I'm planning to go on Ellen with him so he can get a nap before the party). Now I'm rethinking my plan (of course, it's what we Dis'ers do)

Coral reef must remain, as that's Tweedledum's favorite restaurant in all the land. But I'm thinking that maybe I will try to move it back to 5p, and DH and I will skip it(and let MIL/FIL use our credits) and get the monorail to MK around 4:30-5ish, then get a Dolewhip and get in line for the Dwarfs. Maybe get some Pecos Bills when the parade starts later.

I think the new plan allows for a nicer pace, plus I'm not sure we'd even be hungry at 4p after feasting at the fest. But, I do hate to miss Coral reef. It is the one restaurant I've been to all three of my prior trips. I know it gets mixed reviews on here, but I've always been very happy with my meal/service there. I will probably have to make the sacrifice though.

To make matters more complicated, Prince charming has agreed to wear a costume to the Halloween Party goodvibes. He's specifically requesting something haunted mansion related. I tried to talk him into being mouseketeers, since that would be easy, but he was having no part in that. So, I've been looking on-line for some simple ideas. I really don't want to trek back to the room to change, so I'm looking for something that would fit in a backpack, and also not too heavy/hot. I'm thinking of packing some facepaint and grey/white spray, and cobwebs, and just being gouls, but I've got to think of some clothing options to go with it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Wow! I'm almost at the two month mark!!!!!! Getting so psyched!

I've noticed that I actually get a little depressed right before a trip (as you can see, that hasn't happened yet though). The planning is so exciting. Then once the trip actually is over, I just don't know what to do with myself. I guess I get to drag it out a bit whilst doing my FIRST EVER ACTUAL TRIP REPORT, but then what? I can't plan a trip for a while since next year is DS17's graduation trip. I'll probably just linger on the DIS living vicariously through you all.

Ok, enough of that whining. Now I have to brag a little. DH and I dropped the kids off at church on Sunday for a mission trip until Friday night So we are childless this week. While of course I miss them, it's so nice that the house isn't getting dirty and I haven't cooked a meal. DH and I spent the day in NYC on Sunday, just drove right in, wandered around a bit, had lunch, saw a strange play (A Perfect Crime), then just drove home. It was quite relaxing. Last night we went out for dinner, just to houlihans, but I didn't have to cook.

Unfortunately, DH ruined our perfectly romantic week by knocking my iPhone off the night stand and completely shattering the screen(and it was in a case, though apparently not very effective). I handled it very well and did not flip out since it was obviously an accident, it still works, but is hard to see what's on the screen. So today I have an appointment at the Apple store to discuss my options. I believe they will sell me a refurb for $199. I had an issue with my Ipad last fall, which was totally my fault, but they gave me a free Ipad anyway. Made me want the Iphone since their customer service was so great. I'm not expecting a freebee, as they already have a record of having given me the Ipad. I love their products, but they're not made sturdy enough, they really need to put in a different kind of glass. DH and I have had cell phones for over 12 years, never even in a case, and never had any issues. I've had this phone for less than 2 months, in a case and here ya go.

I have been very excited about using my Aps in the parks in September. I've got to do some research about what ones are the best options. I'm also looking forward to using it for my food porn.

Oh, I almost forgot, here's some treats we had in NYC, sort of practice for my TR...

Breakfast (butterscotch and pineapple/coconut):

This one was mine:

Mine was delicious. It had pineapple filling and was very moist. I didn't try DHs, but he said it was just ok.

This was lunch, Chicken Pad Thai, at a Tom and Toons:

Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Just popping in to announce that I am exactly at the
TWO MONTH MARK!!!!!!

That's right folks, just 8 weeks and 6 days away

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: