Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
Rosebud123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_jj11 View Post
Honestly, all you need to do is check off the lowest income box. It takes 10 seconds, and you'll never be bothered the entire time you are there! We got our parking pass in less than 5 - 10 minutes.

No need to plan around the pitch; just check the box!
Actually that's not always the case. I checked off the lowest income box and my husband was off in the store with the kids. While they didn't pressure me then, we missed three phone calls and my mom answered one and was tild I needed to contact the front desk because I was supposed to attend a meeting. I didn't call but the next night at 8 pm after I got my two youngest in bed after a very early morning, they called again. I told them that my kids were asleep and they were to never call me again. They said 'it's only 8pm! Who puts their kids in bed that early on vacation! I wasn't happy and they knew it. They never called back.

As for my view on the resort, I wrote my view on the love BC thread and a few people didn't really like a not so positive point of view. I won't post it all again but it was posted a few days after we returned on may 22nd.[/QUOTE]

Good reminder! Check off the lowest box and unplug your phone.
Rosebud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #32
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjan View Post
Another great thing to say is that you are married but your spouse isn't vacationing with you. They will not/cannot sell you on a timeshare without your husband/wife with you. If your spouse is next to you, just say that they are your brother/sister. Works like a charm!
ITA....my hubby came in at a different time than me, I walked in with my DDs and they never questioned or pressured me.

We just got back from a 10 day, first time stay at BC, and we absolutely loved it. We have stayed onsite before, and it was fun when the kids were young, but we need more room, and I just can't justify Disney prices when I can get a two bedroom condo as nice as BC for $120 a night.

Early 1970's-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1994-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2007-All Star Movies-All girls trip!
June 2009! Windsor Hills-All girls trip!
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
June 2013-Back at Bonnet Creek
Teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #33
ama223
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at BC twice - the only things I missed were:
- being dropped off at the gates at the parks instead of walking in from the parking lot (hey, I'm lazy when I know I'm going to be walking miles all day in the parks.. LOL)
- being totally immersed in Disney

To us, we will probably do an every-other-trip with staying offsite vs. onsite. We really, REALLY enjoyed BC though and I'm very picky about hotels.. It was clean, it was HUGE, the pools were incredible. The people were great - we didn't have any issues with the timeshare stuff because I just said NO NO NO at the parking pass stand and then we unplugged our phone and never heard another word from them.

Having all that space is invaluable when you have young children IMO. We'll have 3 next time we go back and there's no way we could stay in anything less than a 2BR and do that on Disney property is just too $$$ to justify to me.

WDW: Many trips as a child ~ Nov 2004 CBR ~ Dec 2009 WL ~ May 2011 Offsite ~ Oct 2011 Poly ~ Jan 2012 Offsite (just me and DH!) ~ Dec 2013 Offsite

DL: Sept 2005 Offsite
ama223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
ama223
Mouseketeer

I've read the rest of the thread now - I'm shocked all all the issues with "hardsells" and "pressure". It was literally a 3 minute talk at the parking pass stand "When are you free, Want to see a presentation" I said "Never and No" and that was it. I unplugged our phone, never heard another peep from a single person the entire 10 days we were there.

I'd hardly discount BC because of that - it was NOTHING.

WDW: Many trips as a child ~ Nov 2004 CBR ~ Dec 2009 WL ~ May 2011 Offsite ~ Oct 2011 Poly ~ Jan 2012 Offsite (just me and DH!) ~ Dec 2013 Offsite

DL: Sept 2005 Offsite
ama223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
MinnieTeacher
Mouseketeer

We just returned from Bonnet Creek June 17th. This was my first and last trip offsite. Was Bonnet Creek nice? Yes... beautiful grounds, nice pools, great accomodations so what's not to like? Just like a previous poster said there's no "Disney Magic". As much as I wanted to really, really like it I didn't. There was nothing "wrong" with it, I just missed the feeling you get onsite. I guess this sounds crazy but I just didn't get the "warm fuzzies" like I do onsite. No warm welcome at check-in or "Welcome Home" from the gate attendant. I didn't enjoy washing towels, making up my own bed, cleaning up after everyone ( and yes I knew that it was timeshare and you get none of those ammenities). I cooked a couple of times and it just didn't feel as much like a vacation to cook and clean up. I really missed the dining plan tremendously!!! I missed the towel animals and Mickey soaps and again I know this sounds crazy as I type this!! I also really missed the food court when my daughter got a stomach virus and we were unable to go out to eat. We also didn't like driving into town to get food. Bonnet Creek is a top notch facility and is a wonderful value, but it wasn't a good fit for my family. This is just my opinion and most here really like it alot. Again I'm the minority here.I guess I'm a diehard onsiter who will pay too much money for the magic!
2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010-Polynesian Resort
2011-Port Orleans French Quarter
Me

: DH

DD

DS

MinnieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
Rosebud123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieTeacher View Post
We just returned from Bonnet Creek June 17th. This was my first and last trip offsite. Was Bonnet Creek nice? Yes... beautiful grounds, nice pools, great accomodations so what's not to like? Just like a previous poster said there's no "Disney Magic". As much as I wanted to really, really like it I didn't. There was nothing "wrong" with it, I just missed the feeling you get onsite. I guess this sounds crazy but I just didn't get the "warm fuzzies" like I do onsite. No warm welcome at check-in or "Welcome Home" from the gate attendant. I didn't enjoy washing towels, making up my own bed, cleaning up after everyone ( and yes I knew that it was timeshare and you get none of those ammenities). I cooked a couple of times and it just didn't feel as much like a vacation to cook and clean up. I really missed the dining plan tremendously!!! I missed the towel animals and Mickey soaps and again I know this sounds crazy as I type this!! I also really missed the food court when my daughter got a stomach virus and we were unable to go out to eat. We also didn't like driving into town to get food. Bonnet Creek is a top notch facility and is a wonderful value, but it wasn't a good fit for my family. This is just my opinion and most here really like it alot. Again I'm the minority here.I guess I'm a diehard onsiter who will pay too much money for the magic!
I think it's great that you tried it! At least now you know that WBC isn't for you. I was super afraid to try offsite but I ended up loving WBC way more than Wilderness Lodge and the FW cabins.

I'm glad that so many people prefer "official" WDW hotels. That what keeps WBC so affordable for those of us who love it!
Rosebud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #37
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I didn't enjoy washing towels, making up my own bed, cleaning up after everyone ( and yes I knew that it was timeshare and you get none of those ammenities).
You'd be facing the same thing at a DVC resort if you are staying on points.

Quote:
I also really missed the food court when my daughter got a stomach virus and we were unable to go out to eat. We also didn't like driving into town to get food.
I'm not sure why you felt like you had to. There is a small resort store (a bit better than a "regular" Disney hotel, but admittedly not as good as the DVC resort stores), a couple of counter service locations by the pools, and a few full-service places in the hotel building. And, plenty of places will deliver as well---to Bonnet or to a Disney resort, either way.

And, amusingly enough, we had a towel animal at HGVC-Sea World last week. I didn't even notice him right away, but he was there.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #38
MinnieTeacher
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
You'd be facing the same thing at a DVC resort if you are staying on points.

I'm not sure why you felt like you had to. There is a small resort store (a bit better than a "regular" Disney hotel, but admittedly not as good as the DVC resort stores), a couple of counter service locations by the pools, and a few full-service places in the hotel building. And, plenty of places will deliver as well---to Bonnet or to a Disney resort, either way.

And, amusingly enough, we had a towel animal at HGVC-Sea World last week. I didn't even notice him right away, but he was there.

I wouldn't be staying DVC, but in a regular hotel room.

I was aware of the "counter service" locations there, but Disney food courts have much more than hamburgers and hotdogs. For example we've had fried chicken, ribs, chicken parmesan, carved beef, make your own pasta, build your own salad etc... from the food courts. Much better selection, plus dessert is included on the dining plan.We did take advantage of delivery, but I do like to go out to eat on vacation, not just eat in the condo. In order to do that you must drive into town. Disney resorts have onsite table services. Like I said it was a nice place, just not for us. I just like the "Disney Bubble" better, and so does my husband. Different strokes for different folks!
2010-Polynesian Resort
Me

DD

DS

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #39
MinnieTeacher
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud123 View Post
I think it's great that you tried it! At least now you know that WBC isn't for you. I was super afraid to try offsite but I ended up loving WBC way more than Wilderness Lodge and the FW cabins.

I'm glad that so many people prefer "official" WDW hotels. That what keeps WBC so affordable for those of us who love it!

It is a beautiful resort and I am glad I tried it. I've wondered for a couple of years now if I would like offsite and now I know. It is a very classy and affordable place, it just wasn't for my family. I will recommed it to anyone looking for a condo in the area.
2010-Polynesian Resort
Me

DD

DS

Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #40
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I was aware of the "counter service" locations there, but Disney food courts have much more than hamburgers and hotdogs.
Well, some of them do. Notably, Old Key West's does not and BW/BC/YC don't have much either. Oddly, the Deluxe and DVC resorts have some of the worst CS locations anywhere on property. My guess is that you'd have been no happier at OKW than you were at Bonnet, so this is less about "offsite" and more about "condos/timeshares vs. hotels." Nothing wrong with that; some people really do prefer hotel-style service/amenities vs. timeshare-style ones.

But Bonnet does have more than hot dogs and pizza. Last time I was there, there was a pizza place (by the "slide pool"), and the Pirate Pool bar location had wraps. I suppose that might have changed. And, the new hotel restaurants have probably added substantially to what is offered, but I have not tried them yet.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Well, some of them do. Notably, Old Key West's does not and BW/BC/YC don't have much either. Oddly, the Deluxe and DVC resorts have some of the worst CS locations anywhere on property. My guess is that you'd have been no happier at OKW than you were at Bonnet, so this is less about "offsite" and more about "condos/timeshares vs. hotels." Nothing wrong with that; some people really do prefer hotel-style service/amenities vs. timeshare-style ones.

But Bonnet does have more than hot dogs and pizza. Last time I was there, there was a pizza place (by the "slide pool"), and the Pirate Pool bar location had wraps. I suppose that might have changed. And, the new hotel restaurants have probably added substantially to what is offered, but I have not tried them yet.
I just wanted to comment on some of the restaurants at BC......we ate at the outdoor restaurant by the pirate pool, and it was good; offered wraps, burgers, sandwiches, salads. We also at the restaurant on the lower level of the new hotel (sorry, can't remember the name)-breakfast was excellent; best made to order omelets ever! We actually ate there three mornings. We also ate dinner there one evening and it was very, very good. The pizza ( by another pool area) was average, but good. And since you mentioned hot dogs, the deli by the lobby had great hot dog and a variety of different toppings. We actually thought the choices were much better than the onsite food courts, but we only stayed at values so that is all I can compare it to.

Early 1970's-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1994-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2007-All Star Movies-All girls trip!
June 2009! Windsor Hills-All girls trip!
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
June 2013-Back at Bonnet Creek
Teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #42
ehrn
Mouseketeer

We stayed at WBC our last 2 trips and will stay again in November. I realized that my son has off the 2 days before we planned to leave so we are going to go early and spend 2 nights at Pop. I'm really anxious to see how I feel about staying on property again after 2 trips off. We will be paying MORE for a value room, granted a preferred room, than for a 2br at WBC per night. I know I'll miss the washer/dryer and being in 1 room with my husband and 2 active boys will be interesting...but I'm looking forward to it.
I totally agree w/the pp, the more room we have, the larger the mess tends to be. We drove last time and I brought WAY TOO MUCH STUFF, I really learned my lesson!
I think it's great that you tried staying off site, now you know. For me, some more space is good...the washer/dryer is great! I don't cook on vacation but it's nice to be able to use leftovers, make a quick sandwich for the kids, have a real sink to wash out sippy cups, etc.
I can also say that I've seen a decline in Disney "magic" over the years--as they outsource more services and have less staff to do the same amount of work...Though on my last stay at WBC there were a couple of housekeeping issues I don't feel were resolved to my satisfaction but that's how it goes sometimes. There's always going to be something that needs improvement, I just hope the good outweighs the bad--at WBC, Disney or wherever we happen to travel...and I really, really hope we have a great WBC stay this time because my parents and some other family members are joining us with high expectations...

Party of 4
ehrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #43
Candleshoe
Trying to build a better mousetrap.

I think this goes in the category of everyone likes to vacation their own way... but I prefer not to have maid service.

I like a good cleaning before my stay, but I don't like people coming in to my place, my space, while I'm staying there.

I deal with it -- mostly by not thinking about it -- while at regular hotels... but the B&B / Condo experience without maids is actually a PLUS for me.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #44
ehrn
Mouseketeer

Candleshoe, I agree with you! I don't even mind washing the towels. I tend to stress in a regular hotel "Did I leave dirty undies on the floor? Did I properly store my valuables? Will the housekeeper clean the toilet and then the sink area--cause that would be so gross, lol!" So that's one less thing to worry about. I do understand that it's a huge plus for others, in which case a time share isn't a great fit.

Party of 4
ehrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #45
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

I'm another one who is happy not to have maid service. It's only DH and I and we're not that messy. I don't like the idea of people perhaps going through my things when I'm not there, and I never know what to do with my laptop in a hotel since it won't fit in any safe (it's one of those big/widescreen ones - I am self employed and need to take it with in case I have to do a little bit of work). And what a pain to unplug it and leave it at the front desk every time you leave the room.

I don't bother making the bed in the morning and I don't care No one will see it. I just enjoy our privacy and personal space so much. With just two of us, I think 8 towels will be plenty for a week (we got a 2BR). So I doubt we'll even have to wash towels.

I'm REALLY looking forward to our week at WBC!
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote