Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
gonzalesphd
Earning My Ears

Hi Jennifer,

I also have three children, ages 11,8, and 5. Last trip, when the kids were two years younger, we stayed at the Poly. It was fun, convenient, and the kids enjoyed it, but we were sooo crowded.

We have a two bedroom unit rented for July for $120 a night! That is a ridiculously low price for a kitchen, two bedrooms, washer and dryer, etc. I agree with previous comments that you have to decide between cost, space, and proximity.

I know I will miss being on site, but I also know I feel great knowing that I didn't have to sell a kidney to pay for this vacation ! It's bad enough my eleven year old is considered an "adult".

Good luck. If you would like to message me in August, I can tell you all about the stay and compare the two experiences!
gonzalesphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
jjan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBudnick View Post
The parking pass/timeshare desk is a breeze. They give you a sheet to fill your name and how much you make. Just circle < $30,000. Right away they will tell you to have a great trip. Takes like 3 minutes and they will never bother you again.
Another great thing to say is that you are married but your spouse isn't vacationing with you. They will not/cannot sell you on a timeshare without your husband/wife with you. If your spouse is next to you, just say that they are your brother/sister. Works like a charm!
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
However, don't you have to use more trading power to trade into DVC rather than Bonnet Creek?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
It depends on how I make the exchange. Using Wyndham points, no---the Wyndham RCI portal averages across an entire area. Even in straight weeks, so far the TPU differences have been small enough (and my per-TPU costs low enough) that the difference isn't large. Partly that's because I tend to go during high-demand times anyway, when the non-Disney resorts themselves cost a fair number of TPU.
Hi Brian, I agree, RCI is the way to go. We tend to travel off season and sometimes try to book within the 60 day window. We got a 2 bedroom at AKV last year and on our second trip, got a 2 bedroom at SSR, right next to the new pool and childs water play area. Not bad for a $50 resale Wyndham contract!! Especially when you look at the DVC MF vs the Wyndham MF's.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjan View Post
Another great thing to say is that you are married but your spouse isn't vacationing with you. They will not/cannot sell you on a timeshare without your husband/wife with you. If your spouse is next to you, just say that they are your brother/sister. Works like a charm!
Or with the kids, It'd probably just be easier to send the spouse off with the kids to explore the pools, activity center, and resort in general while you deal with the checkin process.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMahusband View Post
Jennifer - I hate time shares and hard sells. We'll just stay at whatever deluxe is discounted.

Thanks,
Your husband
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
dtum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post

Well here's what I can tell you.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek is definitely a different experience than staying onsite. Beyond the cost, there are going to be some other pros and cons for you.

The most obvious to begin with is that it is a timeshare, and in general, they will try and convince you to attend a sales presentation. The reality is that it's VERY simple to get around this if you know how. The first is to straight out lie when you get your parking pass. The 2 tricks that have been used successfully by others here on the DIS is to indicate your income level at the lowest level. The other is to tell them when you get your parking pass that you are married and your spouse isn't with you. Since they like to have both people in the room when they try to sell you, not having the spouse able to attend is usually a show stopper as well. outside of that, You can always turn off your room phone or turn off the ringer, which will keep their attempts to call you back from annoying you.

The other big thing is that it's not a Disney Hotel, so that means certain onsite benefits won't apply, such as EMH, and free parking at the parks... As a Timeshare Condo, you also don't get daily house(or mouse)keeping. You do however still get a washer/dryer in your room which can come in handy allowing you to wash clothes/etc during your trip. Personally, I'll often throw a load in before bed or while at the parks.

On the flip side however, The resort is still located "within the gates", so you don't ever have to leave the Disney Bubble by going outside the Arches if you don't want too.

You also get a much larger unit for much less than what you'd pay for a Disney hotel room. With a family your size, The "Magic" of being able to spread out (kids in a room with 2 doubles of their own, or even a bed a kid if you include the pull-out couch), have some privacy with your husband after you send the kids to bed (Master suite with a king bed), or even of having 2 bathrooms available for the morning routine, could possibly outweigh the "Magic" you get from staying onsite at Disney in a regular hotel room.

Because of WBC's location, you are virtually surrounded by Disney. depending upon where you are on property, You could look out over Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney, Or see EPCOT with the MK behind... Or even look over CBR/Pop/AoA towards MGM.

For those who are die-hard Onsite people, I personally feel WBC is probably the best option for a baby-step into your first offsite experience. There comes a time when money or space requirements start to make Disney onsite options less than ideal. WBC's location and resort amenities make it much less of a off-site transition than many of your other options. As your kids get older, and bigger, It's likely that sooner or later you are going to outgrow being able to have a comfortable and relaxing Disney Vacation all crammed into a single moderate or Deluxe room.

(Oh... and I know some people mentioned the place feeling cheap because of the laminate countertops or furniture. Reports are that recently refurbed buildings have started receiving granite countertops and the furniture has been replaced with some with a much nicer look/feel).
We loved having a washer/dryer at WH. I would think it's better to have laminate counters than no kitchen, all crammed in DW hotel room. Guess that's not a big deal to us if the place is clean. Don't have granite at home so don't feel that is a game changer to saving hundreds of $$ Have thought about BC, but a 4-bedroom is pretty pricey and kids all loved their own private pool. Walk out of bed and take a quick dip.
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
chuchujew
Earning My Ears

just came back from my 8days at BC last week. We had a 3 bedrooms ( 2 families w/ 8), nice resort, well depends on what you are looking for and comparing to. we are happy with what we have, for the same price we pay, we can just stay in 2 hotel room onsite at one of the disney star resort.
anyway, we had no problem w/ the parking pass desk...mainly i guess because the lady there mistaken me and the other mom from the other family are "partner"... we were at tower 6, my gf and I went in to check in while the husbands and the kids were searching for parking space ( we have 2 cars), didn't know how the she got an impression that we are "together" and comment to me and the other mom "u two make such a good couple" anywhere, i guess she's too embarrass to buck as for a tour. we did have a miss call on the room phone for a few days...so i say just ignore any incoming call to your room.

we like the resort and will stay there again.

meDH DS 9 DS 5
chuchujew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
kerriemiller
How do you people get anything done around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMahusband View Post
Jennifer - I hate time shares and hard sells. We'll just stay at whatever deluxe is discounted.

Thanks,
Your husband
I started reading this because I too am interested in this topic. Its always appealing to get more for your money.

Then I read the above post. The man created an account just to post this. That just made my day.

my husband has the same attitude.
kerriemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
armmom
Earning My Ears

The deluxe discount!!!!! HA!!!!HA!!!! That's a good one!!! Made my night!!!
armmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
crazyfordisney2000
DIS Veteran

We were so excited to try Bonnet Creek last year, I tried very hard to like it, I really did, but I'd rather be crammed in a hotel room!

The only 2 glitches we had were our air conditioning didn't work, they gave us a new room right away. It sucked we had to move everything, but they didn't hesitate to give us a new room. Then the phone didn't work properly. We couldn't call out to order pizza or call our family. They finally sent someone up after 5 days to fix it. Not a huge deal, just an inconvience.

I really missed the Disney magic! I never thought in a million years I would say that. I never really understood the "Disney magic" till after this trip.

The other thing I realized, which I'm sure sounds absolutely nuts, is I found we were much more organized in a smaller space. The mess drove me nuts. I found we really spread out way more and the place always looked disastrous. That drove me crazy and I felt like I did more cleaning than I do in a hotel room.
We are a family of 4, if our family were larger, I may feel differently.

crazyfordisney2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
disneymom06
DIS Veteran

As a family of 6, two rooms at disney prices was becoming obscene. While I had booked 2 rooms with free QSDP, and we frequently visit because of free dining, I did a comparison. I cancelled the free dining as was able to book 2 weeks at WBC, 2 bedroom for $91 a night. I am sure that there will be some differences but I believe that the tradeoff will be worth it. We have our own car so traveling about is not an issue. I will be purchasing an AP because of the free parking and ability to purchase a TIW.

I will let you know when we get back if it was truly worth the trade.
disneymom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordisney2000 View Post
We were so excited to try Bonnet Creek last year, I tried very hard to like it, I really did, but I'd rather be crammed in a hotel room!

The only 2 glitches we had were our air conditioning didn't work, they gave us a new room right away. It sucked we had to move everything, but they didn't hesitate to give us a new room. Then the phone didn't work properly. We couldn't call out to order pizza or call our family. They finally sent someone up after 5 days to fix it. Not a huge deal, just an inconvience.

I really missed the Disney magic! I never thought in a million years I would say that. I never really understood the "Disney magic" till after this trip.

The other thing I realized, which I'm sure sounds absolutely nuts, is I found we were much more organized in a smaller space. The mess drove me nuts. I found we really spread out way more and the place always looked disastrous. That drove me crazy and I felt like I did more cleaning than I do in a hotel room.
We are a family of 4, if our family were larger, I may feel differently.

I can see this being the case for our family too . Having more space (with our own full kitchen and washer/dryer) for a lower rate than one standard hotel room seems like it would be ideal; however with the space and amenities of a condo or vacation house I envision myself being in constant "mom mode" during our trip with cleaning up after everyone, trying to keep the condo or house tidy, planning and cooking meals, talking myself into doing a load of laundry every night, etc. This may not be the case for others, but I know how I am and it is just all too tempting . It is definitely more practical financially for our family to stay offsite in a condo if we can't get a Disney resort discount like free dining or kids stay/play free, and we are looking into both Bonnett Creek and Windsor Hills as options; but a big part of me wants to stay onsite again for the all inclusive aspect of it (Disney theming, dining plan, airport/park transportation, and housekeeping all taken care of). Also, we pretty much just either lounge around or sleep when we are back at the resort because we are so wiped out from being out and about in the parks. I am wary of having to plan how to get around hard sales pitches and that being the start of my vacation; but I guess that's the tradeoff. There are so many pros and cons with both onsite and offsite options that you really have to think hard about what your vacationing style, needs, and trip plans are and take it from there. OP, good luck with whatever you decide
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Rosebud123
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE I am wary of having to plan how to get around hard sales pitches and that being the start of my vacation; but I guess that's the tradeoff. [/QUOTE]

Honestly, all you need to do is check off the lowest income box. It takes 10 seconds, and you'll never be bothered the entire time you are there! We got our parking pass in less than 5 - 10 minutes.

No need to plan around the pitch; just check the box!
Rosebud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
casper_jj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud123 View Post
[QUOTE I am wary of having to plan how to get around hard sales pitches and that being the start of my vacation; but I guess that's the tradeoff.
Honestly, all you need to do is check off the lowest income box. It takes 10 seconds, and you'll never be bothered the entire time you are there! We got our parking pass in less than 5 - 10 minutes.

No need to plan around the pitch; just check the box![/QUOTE]

Actually that's not always the case. I checked off the lowest income box and my husband was off in the store with the kids. While they didn't pressure me then, we missed three phone calls and my mom answered one and was tild I needed to contact the front desk because I was supposed to attend a meeting. I didn't call but the next night at 8 pm after I got my two youngest in bed after a very early morning, they called again. I told them that my kids were asleep and they were to never call me again. They said 'it's only 8pm! Who puts their kids in bed that early on vacation! I wasn't happy and they knew it. They never called back.

As for my view on the resort, I wrote my view on the love BC thread and a few people didn't really like a not so positive point of view. I won't post it all again but it was posted a few days after we returned on may 22nd.
Princess Sydney's Magical Wish Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38079645
casper_jj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
budafam
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Bonnet Creek last month for the first time. Yeah, you don't have the "magic" but in all reality, we had 5 people and it was WELL WORTH giving up the magic for all that room. The furniture in our room was in great shape, no tears or rips. Everything was clean. You also could NOT beat the view we had. If you want to see a video with our room and our view, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZBT...&feature=g-upl

If we ever go with 5 or more people again, I would not hesitate staying here (especially if you have your own vehicle). I wouldn't stay here if we could fit comfortably in a Disney value resort though. We were never bothered by any timeshare sales pitches either (just mark the smallest amount and they won't bother you).
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote