Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Girls1
Mouseketeer

Doubletree DTD, Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites?

Please Help me make a decision based on your experiences and knowledge of the following establishments:
Homewood Suites, Doubletree DTD, Embassy Suites.

It's a long story, but I basically have to choose between these three. Price is no factor and in each case I would be getting a one-bedroom suite for myself, my husband and our two girls, 7 and 13. Here is what it has come down to for me:

--We can not rent a car so excellent shuttle service is important. It appears that all of these hotels provide that, but I'm leaning more towards DT as it is in DTD and gives us more flexibility, i.e. jumping into a cab if we are running late.

_It seems like DT is not as up-to-date as the other too. I don't give two hoots about updated furniture or tv's but I want everything to be clean and functional. Especially the bathroom. I have a problem with bathrooms. The grout's got to be clean and there must no be any signs of mold or mildew.

_We do want to prepare some meals in our rooms to save money and Homewood and Embassy provide cook-tops where DT does not. AND they actually provide a hot breakfast for free as well as evening snacks. So this would save us time and money.

_It sounds like Embassy Suites is a bit isolated and since we are not going to have our own transportation, that is a minus. It would be easier to be someplace where we are able to get around by doing a little walking.

_Embassy sounds like it is a more upscale establishment out of the three and that's always a plus right?

What do you guys think? Any personal experience with these places? Room sizes? Pools?

Thank you so much.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
ibob52
Original Mickey Mouse Club ... Mouseketeer

I can't speak from experience regarding this particular Embassy Suites ... but all the Embassy Suites I have stayed in = Do Not have cooking options = other than a microwave and a mini frig.

I have stayed in other Homewood Suites and they have a full kithen ... while a Embassy Suites and Doubletree Suites = will have a microwave and mini frig in the suite.

When I have a choice between the three Hotels ... I tend to take Embassy Suites over Homewood Suites = **if I am in a one Bedroom** because the bathroom is not in the bedroom area = and can be shared without entering the bedroom ... (teen girls)

If I am in a 2 Bedroom (2 Bath) = then a Homewood Suites = is a Better choice (for me) = because of the dedicated kitchen (Frig - Dishwasher - Stove - Microwave - etc).

If all things are equal *add* ... Also a factor = is the age of the Hotel .... a newer place (or resent Refurb) is often better than a older dated place.

It's a Dog eat Dog world out there

Disney is my Happy ~ Place

Last edited by ibob52; 06-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.
ibob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Girls1
Mouseketeer

Thanks a lot. This is all really helpful! I've also learned that Homewood provides towels at the pools but I've seen none of that mentioned on the other sites. That makes a huge difference because I don't know if there are laundry facilities on site.
I've also learned hat Homewood and Embassy are pretty much next to each other and right accross from the outlet mall; a plus for the teen.
The research continues!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We stayed at doubletree DTD last aug for a night pre WDW package. Our suite was very spacious, larger then any Embassy or home wood I've stayed in. Fridge & microwave, cousinart pod coffee maker. Toiletries by Crabtree & Evelyn.
We booked using the code and link from mousesavers.com. I believed we paid $79 and included the continental breakfast. You could upgrade to hot breakfast for a small fee. But we found the continental was enough for us.
I didn't notice if they had pool towels we didn't use the pool while there. But would be easy enough to ask housekeeping for extra towels.
The busses from doubletree run every 30 min from park opening on. I doubt either embassy or home wood has that. You could call them directly to find out what kind of service they have, but it's been my experience the hotels outside of DTD don't have as complete a shuttle service.

Our suite looked updated, bathroom was large, and clean. Also had a dressing area outside bathroom by closet with big mirror good for makeup if someone is using bathroom.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
tmoret
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at all 3 of them and by reading what your needs are I would say that your best bet is the Homewood.

MY DISigns:
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/tmoret/Disigns/
tmoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

I have been researching 1 bedroom suites, so I can share a little info...

PP is correct...Homewood Suites is the only one with a full kitchen. The other two have small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Embassy calls this a kitchenette, which is kind of misleading.

A big deal maker/breaker for me is the size of the beds in the bedroom. Homewood Suites has 2 queens, where as Embassy and Double Tree both have 2 doubles in the bedroom.

Just an FYI... Buena Vista Suites and Caribe Royale both have 1 bedroom suites with fridge/microwave/coffee maker, and 2 queens in the bedroom. Buena Vista Suites is less expensive and comes with free breakfast. No window in the lving room is a drawback for me though.

We are hoping to stay at Homewood Suites if/when we go.

Enjoy your trip!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Girls1
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say thanks so much. For wveryone's input. I'm learning so much and this is all helping me come to a decision. I'm calling the hotels today with a few more questions and will soon haves my decision. Furthermore, as my daughter graduated from 8th grade yesterday and I had to deal with my husband acting stupid when we went out to eat, I'm leaning closer to Homewood than ever. It's sounding like a better choice for us. Will let you know for sure.
Thanks everyone!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Girls1
Mouseketeer

I was able to to settle on Doubletree and here is why:
Homewood's shuttle leaves at 8,10 and 12, dropping guest off at Epcot. It returns at 5:30,7:30,9:30 pm, picking up at Epcot. That is too inconvenient and we would end up not being able to use the bus service some days.
Doubletree offers service to and from the parks every half hour until closing which means it is much more reliable. Even if we did need to take a cab for any reason, it's about $10 to the nearest Disney resort.

FYI: in case anyone was wondering, there are laundry facilities on the premises at Doubletree at $2.50 per wash and $2.50 per dry cycle.
The continental breakfast buffet is $ 10.95 for adults and $6 for children. The hot breakfast is $15.95 and $7 respectively. Of course we will not be utilizing that service though.
Really glad the decision is made. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls1 View Post
I was able to to settle on Doubletree and here is why:
Homewood's shuttle leaves at 8,10 and 12, dropping guest off at Epcot. It returns at 5:30,7:30,9:30 pm, picking up at Epcot. That is too inconvenient and we would end up not being able to use the bus service some days.
Doubletree offers service to and from the parks every half hour until closing which means it is much more reliable. Even if we did need to take a cab for any reason, it's about $10 to the nearest Disney resort.

FYI: in case anyone was wondering, there are laundry facilities on the premises at Doubletree at $2.50 per wash and $2.50 per dry cycle.
The continental breakfast buffet is $ 10.95 for adults and $6 for children. The hot breakfast is $15.95 and $7 respectively. Of course we will not be utilizing that service though.
Really glad the decision is made. Thanks everyone for your help!
Sounds perfect for you! Enjoy your trip
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Girls1
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much. We can't wait to go!!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Stayed at all

Doubletree is a great location without a car. Have stayed several times. If you are paying (vs points) check out Mousesavers. They have a link to book with good rates where the continental is included. It is a good one with many options and lots of fresh fruit (at least when we were there).

Also if it helps, the outlet mall is "across", on the other side of the INTERSTATE from Homewood and Embassy, not accessible except by a car because you have to drive down towards to Disney, under the interstate, to the access road and back up to the mall. You are much better off being walking distance to DTD.

We have always requested a DTD view, it often included a view of fireworks.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
suzcruz
Mouseketeer

what mall is that? i'm staying at homewood next week
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Girls1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan
Doubletree is a great location without a car. Have stayed several times. If you are paying (vs points) check out Mousesavers. They have a link to book with good rates where the continental is included. It is a good one with many options and lots of fresh fruit (at least when we were there).

Also if it helps, the outlet mall is "across", on the other side of the INTERSTATE from Homewood and Embassy, not accessible except by a car because you have to drive down towards to Disney, under the interstate, to the access road and back up to the mall. You are much better off being walking distance to DTD.

We have always requested a DTD view, it often included a view of fireworks.
Thanks for your respond. We are excited about out trio and it's getting closer and closer. Thanks for the clarification on the location of the mall.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I agree with your choice! I've stayed at the DT twice (once for a week with my parents, I got the sofa sleeper, then once for a night with my own family). It works well with the space, and the shuttle service! You can definitely make enough food with a fridge and a microwave! Heck, I've made mac & cheese, ramen, instant oatmeal, lots of easy stuff with just a hot pot, which I always used to take on vacations (and was always super careful since I'm a worry wart). Plus you can walk over to the Crossroads shopping center easily, where you can get reasonable priced food or (God forbid.....) Gooding's for groceries (no I don't recommend them but in a pinch maybe pick up one or two things). If you can do a stop for groceries from the airport, I'd do that (super Target is where I've gone a lot).

I hope you have a great time!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

Glad for you . We have stayed at the Homewood suites there and while I am a Hilton fan, this was the least favorite of any I have stayed in. People were friendly but the rooms themselves needed some TLC in the form of cleaning better and better linens (our sheets had holes in them). The sleeper sofa was absolutely horrible!!
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote