Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Beach Club Villas vs. Wyndham Bonnet Creek? Need input!!

Here's my dilemma....we stayed at the Beach Club Villas in a studio last month and could not have loved the resort more! Such fun and a great location! We are going to be back for spring break 2013 and don't know where to stay. We are annual pass holders and have Tables in Wonderland, so we don't need a vacation package through Disney. I've read a lot of great things on these boards about Bonnet Creek, so that's how we got our off-property option.

Bonnet Creek will be $1200 for a 2-bedroom condo. If I rent DVC points, it will cost anywhere from $2000-$2600 (for a studio) depending on the per-point price. I'm looking at a HUGE price difference. But will I miss not staying at a Disney resort?? Because it's spring break, we will be spending a lot more time than normal at our resort. We always do Disney during the value season, so spring break crowds will be quite a change...but we need to get use of the annual passes

Anyone else had to choose on-site vs. off-site?? How do you decide??
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Are Wyndham Bonnet Creek and BCV the only two options?

What about renting at a less expensive DVC property (i.e. AKL) or staying at a moderate resort? Or maybe the Swan/Dolphin since you love the Epcot resort area so much?

It sounds like you would really appreciate staying on property, so I would look into these other less expensive options. Personally, we will never go to WDW unless we are staying on property... just love being in the center of the magic!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Are Wyndham Bonnet Creek and BCV the only two options?

What about renting at a less expensive DVC property (i.e. AKL) or staying at a moderate resort? Or maybe the Swan/Dolphin since you love the Epcot resort area so much?

It sounds like you would really appreciate staying on property, so I would look into these other less expensive options. Personally, we will never go to WDW unless we are staying on property... just love being in the center of the magic!
Well, I guess not the ONLY options, but we looooove Beach Club!! We've stayed at POR a few times and love it, but during spring break, it would be over $200/night, plus the extra charge for an 'adult' since I have a 10 year old. So really, the cost of a mod would be about the same as renting DVC points.

I do need to look into the Swan/Dolphin. Can you book those through Disney? How do you get discounts on those resorts?

I really would love to stay on property. We've been to WDW as a family 7 times and have never stayed off property...we are also DVC members. So you can see how staying at Bonnet Creek would be quite a shock for us!! Just don't know if we can justify the cost difference.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I am looking at swan/dolphin,b/c I love the BCV location! we stayed there in 2010,ans I love walking to all the places we wanted to go.....Bonnet Creek you'd need a car.....
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamelynn24 View Post
Well, I guess not the ONLY options, but we looooove Beach Club!! We've stayed at POR a few times and love it, but during spring break, it would be over $200/night, plus the extra charge for an 'adult' since I have a 10 year old. So really, the cost of a mod would be about the same as renting DVC points.
I don't think the WDW resorts starting charging for a child, as an adult, until they turn 18. I know we've never had to pay extra for our DS until our upcoming trip in August, because he turned 18 last month.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Bonnet Creek, although technically not considered "on property" is only accessible and surrounded by Disney property, so not "off site" per se.

We too LOVE Beach Club, the resort is amazing and the location great!

I guess what I would advise is to weigh the options. Is it worth over $200 a night for less room but being at a Disney resort? Is the location worth the cost?

I am a self proclaimed advocate of staying onsite..always have. Our upcoming trip will be the first time we will be at a non-Disney resort..and is Bonnet Creek. For me the deciding factor was cost. We would get nearly 4X the room for less than the cost of a Value resort. We are still "on site" to me (inside WDW gates) and in a location we love (close to DTD).

The size, amenities, location & cost or BC vs a Disney resort made it a pretty easy decision for us. You need to weigh what is most important to you and vacation accordingly!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
I don't think the WDW resorts starting charging for a child, as an adult, until they turn 18. I know we've never had to pay extra for our DS until our upcoming trip in August, because he turned 18 last month.
An adult in the room is by definition 18 years or older. It's different for tickets and dining plan.
TeenaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionqueen View Post
Bonnet Creek, although technically not considered "on property" is only accessible and surrounded by Disney property, so not "off site" per se.

We too LOVE Beach Club, the resort is amazing and the location great!

I guess what I would advise is to weigh the options. Is it worth over $200 a night for less room but being at a Disney resort? Is the location worth the cost?

I am a self proclaimed advocate of staying onsite..always have. Our upcoming trip will be the first time we will be at a non-Disney resort..and is Bonnet Creek. For me the deciding factor was cost. We would get nearly 4X the room for less than the cost of a Value resort. We are still "on site" to me (inside WDW gates) and in a location we love (close to DTD).

The size, amenities, location & cost or BC vs a Disney resort made it a pretty easy decision for us. You need to weigh what is most important to you and vacation accordingly!

It SHOULD be an easy decision, shouldn't it?!?!? We have always been the same way, always wondered why anyone would want to stay off site. And now we may do it! Have a fabulous trip! WBC looks perfect...except for not being a 'Disney' resort. Ha ha!!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's replies!!

And I had no idea that an extra adult in the room was 18 years old. I guess I just assumed it was 10yo since everything else considers 10 as an adult. Not sure that will influence the decision much, but it's definitely good to know!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

I've stayed both places and love them both. When I have a car, I'm perfectly content at Bonnet Creek. Use the AP to cover parking fees. I like having my own fully equipped kitchen and laundry rather than a studio. Pools and lazy river are very nice over at Bonnet Creek-not the magnitude of SAB, but very nice just the same. I like having the extra villa space over at Bonnet Creek-when I am short on points, it is one of my first choices. The value is great and you are techically on Disney property. The difference in price may very well be worth the car rental.

It will be crowded during spring break-buses will be bad and parks will be crowded so you will be at your resort more, so if you feel as though you will be more at the resort than the parks, Bonnet Creek may be the way to go. When I visit Disney during a crowded time, I stay at the resort more, cook a couple of meals in, and relax. Bonnet Creek has gas grills for use by all resort guests convenient to each building which is a nice advantage.

The one advantage to staying "onsite" at a Disney resort with crowded times is that if the parks fill out, you would be the last group shut out from admission to the parks.

Me DH DD14 DM
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
I've stayed both places and love them both. When I have a car, I'm perfectly content at Bonnet Creek. Use the AP to cover parking fees. I like having my own fully equipped kitchen and laundry rather than a studio. Pools and lazy river are very nice over at Bonnet Creek-not the magnitude of SAB, but very nice just the same. I like having the extra villa space over at Bonnet Creek-when I am short on points, it is one of my first choices. The value is great and you are techically on Disney property. The difference in price may very well be worth the car rental.

It will be crowded during spring break-buses will be bad and parks will be crowded so you will be at your resort more, so if you feel as though you will be more at the resort than the parks, Bonnet Creek may be the way to go. When I visit Disney during a crowded time, I stay at the resort more, cook a couple of meals in, and relax. Bonnet Creek has gas grills for use by all resort guests convenient to each building which is a nice advantage.

The one advantage to staying "onsite" at a Disney resort with crowded times is that if the parks fill out, you would be the last group shut out from admission to the parks.
All very good points!! We drive down from IL, so we drive to the parks. Do you still feel the Disney 'magic' at Bonnet Creek? I think that's one thing I am most worried about. I do like that they have grills at WBC. That's a definite bonus!!

My oldest son is not sold on WBC and just suggested that we stay at the Boardwalk. Hmmm....he may be on to something there. Plenty to do when we are not at the parks, that's for sure. But I wonder if I'd just stare across the water at BCV and wish I was there. Ha ha!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

I can't say it's Disney magic...but that is only a short car hop away.
Keep in mind the parking situation at Boardwalk (across the street). And those loooonnnng hallways!
I feel as though I am staying in luxury when I am there. Ask for a villa 6th floor or higher on the parking garage side of Torre de Ciello...you will have a dead on view of Illuminations

Me DH DD14 DM
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Do AP holders get to use EMH if they're staying off-site? That would be a huge question for me. I love AM EMHs at MK.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

no...EMH is for those staying onsite at Disney hotels only.

Me DH DD14 DM
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Do AP holders get to use EMH if they're staying off-site? That would be a huge question for me. I love AM EMHs at MK.
No. Only WDW hotels, plus Swan & Dolphin & the Downtown Disney Hilton.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: