Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
coolauntangie
Earning My Ears

Lunch on Embarkation Day

I have read a lot of trip reports about getting on the ship the first day and having lunch right away. Which restaurant would you recommend for the Dream that first time, Enchanted Garden or Cabanas and is there a reason? Just wondering!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Really depends on what you like. Both are buffets. Enchanted Garden has a wait staff for the drinks and more like a MDR experience. Cabanas is a true buffet with a larger selection and a little more crowded. You will need to get your own drinks, but you are right there to go into the pools/Aquaduck when finished.

We have found the CMs try to direct you to Cabanas, but if you would rather go to Enchanted Garden, just let them know
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

we enjoyed EG, actually CMs were directing us there, LOL. last month was our 1st DCL experience on Dream and having lunch in EG right off the bat was AMAZING! it wasn't very crowded and so elegant.

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Toria
DIS Veteran

We did Cabanas, that is the most talked restaurant on embarkation day. We will probably try EG next time to have that experience.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We usually go to the MDR on embarkation day, no matter which DCL ship we are on. We prefer that because they have all the same food, but in an air conditioned setting with convenient, guaranteed seating and waiters to bring you beverages.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Minnie Monellen
DIS Veteran

I would go to Cabanas. Great atmosphere and view. The waiters come around to the tables with the drink of the day. A festive way to start your cruise. Having been on both the Magic and Dream, Enchanted Garden is my least favorite MDR.
Minnie Monellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

We were sent to EG because our group had no carry-on luggage. Or that was the reason they gave us. It's pretty tight in there, space-wise, so I can see how they'd sort people like that!

sarbah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Don't worry about where they "send" you. The CM will suggest, but you can go where you wish.

We enjoy relaxing and having our beverages served to us, so we choose the MDR regardless of the ship. We have done the pool deck, but it seems like a lot more hassle, noise, etc. Cabanas is better than the classic ships as there is more seating and the set up works better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
coolauntangie
Earning My Ears

Thanks I have been reading posts and it doesn't sound like a difference in the menu just the venue. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

We were directed to EG. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere and would probably go there again since it was much less crowded than Cabanas.
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolauntangie View Post
Thanks I have been reading posts and it doesn't sound like a difference in the menu just the venue. Thanks!
Actually Cabanas has a bigger selection than the EG. So if you are interested in more variety, I would head to Cabanas.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
tweis
DIS Veteran

We just got back from a 5 night cruise on the Dream and we were directed to Cabana's but from reading the disboards I knew that EG was open as well. We asked about EG and were given directions. We were traveling with kids and this was much more relaxing and less hectic than trying to keep up with everyone and carry drinks in Cabana's. EG does have a smaller buffet than Cabana's but what they had was quite good. My kids were just kind of picking at what they had chosen and our server noticed and asked them if they would like to order something from the kid's menu even though it was a buffet lunch.

tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
SCMouseFans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
My kids were just kind of picking at what they had chosen and our server noticed and asked them if they would like to order something from the kid's menu even though it was a buffet lunch.
Service like this is why we love DCL!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On the Magic and Wonder, the food is the same in both the pool deck and Parrot Cay, but the pool deck gives you access to the fast food places too. On the Dream and Fantasy, Cabanas has a bigger selection of food, but there is way more than enough in Enchanted Garden. The only thing we didn't see on the Fantasy was the separate buffet table of "kid food" that they have onn the Magic.

And note--while servers come around with the "drink of the day" on the pool deck, there is a charge for that drink whether it is ordered as virgin or with alcohol.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
On the Magic and Wonder, the food is the same in both the pool deck and Parrot Cay, but the pool deck gives you access to the fast food places too. On the Dream and Fantasy, Cabanas has a bigger selection of food, but there is way more than enough in Enchanted Garden. The only thing we didn't see on the Fantasy was the separate buffet table of "kid food" that they have onn the Magic.

And note--while servers come around with the "drink of the day" on the pool deck, there is a charge for that drink whether it is ordered as virgin or with alcohol.
We didn't see any "kid food" either so our children selected items from the buffet and tried them. They were picking at them when our server came by and offered them items from the children's menu. They were much happier with corn dogs than with lamb chops.

tweis is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: