Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #31
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I have always wanted to stay at both of those resorts so now I will live vicariously thru your TR when you get home!! Those pics of the room at CBR look beautiful! Who knows, maybe next trip we'll upgrade to moderate Hope you're having a great weekend![/B]
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #32
mxkris
Mouseketeer

Hi!!!

I just subscribed to your PTR!! I have to say, I'm so jealous!! The Poly is my DREAM hotel, but it's not really in our budget right now. HOWEVER, I'm staying at CBR Sept 15-20th! We're calling it our "Poor Man's Poly" ( ), same time as you guys!! Hopefully we'll bump into you there! We're just a group of 4 adults (me, DBF, and my parents) but I like meeting other couples, and love kids!! I can't wait to read more about your plans!!!

Wilderness Lodge -1994 Fort Wilderness Cabin - May 2004 - HS Graduation Offsite - September 2010 CBR - September 2012 CBR - September 2013 runDisney Enchanted 10k - February 2014 OKW runDisney Tot Ten Miler! - October 2014 POP
mxkris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I have always wanted to stay at both of those resorts so now I will live vicariously thru your TR when you get home!! Those pics of the room at CBR look beautiful! Who knows, maybe next trip we'll upgrade to moderate Hope you're having a great weekend!
You just go right ahead--I live vicariously through your TRs, so you are more than welcome to do the same! I hope I make it as good as you always do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkris View Post
Hi!!!

I just subscribed to your PTR!! I have to say, I'm so jealous!! The Poly is my DREAM hotel, but it's not really in our budget right now. HOWEVER, I'm staying at CBR Sept 15-20th! We're calling it our "Poor Man's Poly" ( ), same time as you guys!! Hopefully we'll bump into you there! We're just a group of 4 adults (me, DBF, and my parents) but I like meeting other couples, and love kids!! I can't wait to read more about your plans!!!
AHHH! I'm so excited!! We definitely need to make sure to meet up! And even if we didn't, I'm sure you'd find me--first you'll hear the loud noise my wild family makes, and then you'll see one at least one of the adults chasing at least one child who's decided to make a break for it!
[/B]

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #34
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi!!!

OH MY GOSH. I just saw that you're from Dallas! We're in Canton!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
mxkris
Mouseketeer

AHHH!! I'm ACTUALLY from Kennesaw! Even closer! My parents still live there, but DBF and I have a house in Dallas!! That's so crazy!! We'll have a convoy going down to Disney!!! Are you guys driving down on Friday or Saturday??

Wilderness Lodge -1994 Fort Wilderness Cabin - May 2004 - HS Graduation Offsite - September 2010 CBR - September 2012 CBR - September 2013 runDisney Enchanted 10k - February 2014 OKW runDisney Tot Ten Miler! - October 2014 POP
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
lovebeingmummy
Mouseketeer

Hello
Looking forward to reading more
lovebeingmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #37
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
AHHH!! I'm ACTUALLY from Kennesaw! Even closer! My parents still live there, but DBF and I have a house in Dallas!! That's so crazy!! We'll have a convoy going down to Disney!!! Are you guys driving down on Friday or Saturday??
AHHHH! That is crazy! I lived in Kennesaw FOREVER (okay, six years while I was getting my teaching degree from KSU while working to pay for it/getting married/having a baby...and yes, I then quit teaching to be a stay-at-home mom when the second baby came, so a lot of good that did!). My husband works in Kennesaw now. We're driving down on Friday. Don't tell DD's school, but we're taking her out of school on Friday for an early beginning to the wonderful Cherokee County fall break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingmummy View Post
Hello
Looking forward to reading more
Thanks for being here! I promise an update soon!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #38
mxkris
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post

AHHHH! That is crazy! I lived in Kennesaw FOREVER (okay, six years while I was getting my teaching degree from KSU while working to pay for it/getting married/having a baby...and yes, I then quit teaching to be a stay-at-home mom when the second baby came, so a lot of good that did!). My husband works in Kennesaw now. We're driving down on Friday. Don't tell DD's school, but we're taking her out of school on Friday for an early beginning to the wonderful Cherokee County fall break!

Thanks for being here! I promise an update soon!
Oh wow, it's a small world afterall!!!! I graduated from KSU in May 2012! So yeah, I lived in Kennesaw since 96! We're driving down Saturday morning... and unfortunately I think we're all going to work on Friday (maybe), then get a little sleep, and leave around 4-5 in the morning on Saturday. We'll meet you at CBR though!!

I was hoping I didn't pick dates that were coinciding with any of those new "fall breaks" . I doubt it will effect the crowds down there! Our dates look pretty promising!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #39
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh wow, it's a small world afterall!!!! I graduated from KSU in May 2012! So yeah, I lived in Kennesaw since 96! We're driving down Saturday morning... and unfortunately I think we're all going to work on Friday (maybe), then get a little sleep, and leave around 4-5 in the morning on Saturday. We'll meet you at CBR though!!

I was hoping I didn't pick dates that were coinciding with any of those new "fall breaks" . I doubt it will effect the crowds down there! Our dates look pretty promising!
We've been there during fall break before. It's empty, but it's funny to look around the parking lots and see so many Cherokee County tags!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

I hope you’re all having a lovely day! We are enjoying our day inside, as it’s going to be 106 degrees here today, tomorrow, and for the foreseeable future. YIKES! I’d take the kids swimming, but you can’t really cool off in pool water that is as hot as bath water. Last night I went all over creation to find some black-out drapes for the big windows in our master bedroom. It always gets hot in there when the sun is on that side of the house. Apparently everyone in Georgia is having the same idea, because I had to go to three stores to find them!

In other household news, we’ve been really busy lately carting Brynn around to doctors and testing sites. We are trying to figure out if Sensory Processing Disorder is all that’s going on or if there’s more to it. She had an MRI last Friday and had to be sedated for it (worst Mommy feeling EVER), and Monday we had to take her in for an eight hour video EEG. We don’t meet with her neurologist until July 11 to find out the results, so please send us calming thoughts, prayers, chants…whatever you’ve got. And please forgive me for not updating this week. I’ll try to do better!

Alllllrighty then…

Let’s get down to the business of the day: ADRs! This is one of my favorite topics, actually, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat.

When I was deciding where our ADRs would be, we were still scheduled to be at CBR with free dining for nine nights. I came up with the appropriate number of TS meals based on that. When we knocked off three days at CBR to instead stay at the Poly those three nights, we had to change some things around and decide to pay OOP for some meals. We’d made an ADR for San Angel Inn, but that got nixed. Then the kids decided they wanted to go to a restaurant in place of Akershus, and I think Brandon may have cried a little at that one—he loves those princesses, but we are having another princess meal. There, there, buddy. Obviously there have been some changes already, and I can’t promise there won’t be more. I *think* we’re pretty set, though.

Some of the thinking behind our ADR choices:

*We love character meals. They keep our kids entertained long enough for us to shovel a few bites in our mouths. They keep us from having to stand in line to see those guys. And they are so loud that nobody complains about the volume that inevitably comes from our table.

*Buffets are great. No, they probably don’t have the best food ever, but it’s definitely better than I can cook, and there’s food right from the start instead of having to wait. That’s priceless for three kids ages six and under. Also, I like to pay at the beginning and exit quickly to get my ride on!

*We’re creatures of habit. We do have some new places to try this time, but we tend to stick with what we know for several reasons. First of all, Julia (who *might* have a little of her mom’s personality) gets a plan in her head, and Heaven help anyone who interferes with that plan. She can only plan what she knows, so she insists on the same places. Also, Brynn likes familiarity. She likes to know what is coming next.

*Our palates are less than sophisticated. Fine dining is lost on us, thank goodness. I’m glad my kids are impressed by just about any food, although I do realize it’s because I am a horrible cook. Brandon has sort of taken over that duty for dinners around here. He says it’s because he wants to “help me out.” It’s probably because he just wants to be able to stomach his supper.

With all that in mind, I was sitting at my desk well before the sun came up on the morning of my 180 days mark. I want to say it was March 17, but I could be wrong. Brandon was holding the baby and made me coffee. I had my list in front of me, with the restaurants listed in order of importance. I pulled up the Disney website, poised to make my reservations when…when…I realized the site was down. I ran to my laptop—maybe it was just this computer having issues? Nope, the site was down. Quick! The iPad! Nope.

I was more than a little frustrated. I had gotten up early, and I am NOT a morning person. I was convinced that somehow, somewhere, the site was working for someone, and they were more than likely getting my CRT ADR. I kept trying the website, but to no avail. The phone lines don’t open until an hour after the online system, so we just sat and waited and thought that all my planning was for nothing.

At the appropriate time, I dialed the dining line and practically yelled, “I NEED AN ADR FOR CRT…QUICKLY!” The CM reassured me that nobody was going to take my ADR, because, yes, the online system was down, and I called the millisecond the phone system opened. She told me to breathe. I told her I would as soon as she got me that ADR, so she did it first. I relaxed and then proceeded to get all my restaurant choices at the times I wanted them, plus some reservations for all kids to get haircuts at Harmony Barber Shop. It will be Sawyer’s first haircut, and the girls both had their first haircuts there, too.
Without further ado…drum roll, please…

Our ADRs.

Saturday, September 15
*Chef Mickey’s, dinner, 5:30
This was a “Must Do” for us (Oh, Stacey, we love you!), mostly because of this:

But also for the parmesan mashed potatoes.

Sunday, September 16
*Garden Grill, dinner, 5:30
This is a new one for us, but I’m sure we’ll love it. The Land is our favorite pavilion, plus there are characters, spinning, and unlimited platters of food.

Monday, September 17
*Crystal Palace, breakfast, 8:05 (OOP)
Again with the kisses:

We love getting into the park before opening, and we also love Puffed French Toast and those yummy potatoes. Plus, we’re tight with Pooh and the gang.

*Cinderella’s Royal Table, dinner, 5:35
PRINCESSES. Duh.

Tuesday, September 18
*Play & Dine at Hollywood & Vine, breakfast, 8:00 (This is what knocked out Akershus, believe it or not. I don’t really believe it. But Jake, June, Handy Manny, and Oso are big draws for the pre-school set.)

*Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, lunch, 11:30 (OOP)
Brandon is a big B-movie fan, and the girls are very entertained by the movie clips. They also have a delicious Reuben sandwich and a cookies and cream milkshake so good it will make you slap your momma. (Okay, that’s not true. Nothing could make me slap my momma. Where on earth did that saying come from? Is it just a southern thing, or is it widespread? Because especially in the south, I am willing to bet nobody would slap their momma, even for the best milkshake on WDW property.)

Wednesday, September 19
‘Ohana, dinner, 6:30
It’s a new one for us! I’ve already told you about our Hawaiian obsession (oh, Magnum, P.I….can I call you Thomas?), and this is the night before we check into the Poly. I am hoping for Wishes on the beach, but we’ll have other opportunities if it doesn’t happen.

So, what do you think? Are there any that we should add or take away?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #41
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I am sending positive thoughts to Brynn and your whole family!

The online system was down when we tried to make our ADRs at 180 days. Don’t these people know that us DISers are crazy when it comes to ADRs?! I guess not!

I think all of your ADRs are great!

My mom and I are also trying ‘Ohana for the first time in August. It looks amazing!
LifeIsDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #42
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Great ADR's! We adore Chef Mickey's, but have only been there for breakfast (well, I ate dinner there when I was about 10 years old). We love the characters and all the choices. My DH does not like dinner buffets, so we stick with breakfast. Besides, breakfast is our favorite meal of the day!

Garden Grill-Our absolute favorite meal from our last trip! The characters are so darn cute and the restaurant was not busy at all. The food was amazing and you didn't have to order OR leave your seat! Double bonus!

Crystal Palace-Another must do on every trip...empty Main Street, great breakfast food and cutest characters.

CRT-Ate dinner there on our last trip and we weren't overly impressed by the food, but the atmosphere and characters were wonderful.

H&V- Had a horrible dinner experience there and that is why we don't do dinner buffets anymore. Have heard wonderful things about the Disney Junior bfast/lunch though!

Sci Fi- My DH and I love it there, but when my DD was 6 the movie clips terrified her and I think she's scarred for life. LOVE those milkshakes!

'Ohana- Never had dinner there but loved breakfast!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #43
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Sending positive thoughts and good vibes your way, poor Brynn!

Love your ADRs!!!! They sound very familiar to me! I'm interested to see what you think of Garden Grill-that's the one that we just keep skipping.

We did breakfast at H&V, I don't want to give to much away, but I think that the kids will love it!

Yay CRT!!! There's just something about it...

I hope that you love 'Ohana as much as we did, we are also a Hawaii obsessed family!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
I am sending positive thoughts to Brynn and your whole family!

The online system was down when we tried to make our ADRs at 180 days. Don’t these people know that us DISers are crazy when it comes to ADRs?! I guess not!

I think all of your ADRs are great!

My mom and I are also trying ‘Ohana for the first time in August. It looks amazing!
I'm starting to be less and less of a fan of the online system. We had problems last year, too, because my laptop was using firefox and the system didn't like it.
I can't wait to try 'Ohana! If you don't like it, don't tell me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Great ADR's! We adore Chef Mickey's, but have only been there for breakfast (well, I ate dinner there when I was about 10 years old). We love the characters and all the choices. My DH does not like dinner buffets, so we stick with breakfast. Besides, breakfast is our favorite meal of the day!

Garden Grill-Our absolute favorite meal from our last trip! The characters are so darn cute and the restaurant was not busy at all. The food was amazing and you didn't have to order OR leave your seat! Double bonus!

Crystal Palace-Another must do on every trip...empty Main Street, great breakfast food and cutest characters.

CRT-Ate dinner there on our last trip and we weren't overly impressed by the food, but the atmosphere and characters were wonderful.

H&V- Had a horrible dinner experience there and that is why we don't do dinner buffets anymore. Have heard wonderful things about the Disney Junior bfast/lunch though!

Sci Fi- My DH and I love it there, but when my DD was 6 the movie clips terrified her and I think she's scarred for life. LOVE those milkshakes!

'Ohana- Never had dinner there but loved breakfast!
We went to H&V at lunch on our first trip and it was not great. I figured that if I make a breakfast ADR it won't matter much because I am not a breakfast person, really, and my kids could survive on fruit and pastries if I let them!
I hope my kids don't suddenly develop a fear of Sci Fi! This was one of their specific requests, but I think mostly because of the Tom and Jerry clip and the fact that you get to eat in a car. I hope it lives up to their memories from last trip!
So happy to hear Garden Grill was good. I have forgotten about it in the past and decided this is the trip to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Sending positive thoughts and good vibes your way, poor Brynn!

Love your ADRs!!!! They sound very familiar to me! I'm interested to see what you think of Garden Grill-that's the one that we just keep skipping.

We did breakfast at H&V, I don't want to give to much away, but I think that the kids will love it!

Yay CRT!!! There's just something about it...

I hope that you love 'Ohana as much as we did, we are also a Hawaii obsessed family!
Great minds think alike!
I'll let you know about Garden Grill. I never think about it, but once I remembered it's there I wanted to jump on it! Plus we've only ever done Epcot one day in the past, but we're doing two days this trip and had time for it. It ended up being the one Epcot ADR we kept, since we dropped Akershus (I know, I know) and San Angel Inn.
There IS something about eating inside the Castle.
We will try our best to enjoy 'Ohana...sans MIL! LOL!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #45
mxkris
Mouseketeer

ADRs sound great!! We're also trying Ohana, since we're Hawaiian obsessed! I just can't wait to go to the Poly and check out the grounds and everything!! We're also trying CRT! We'll be at CRT on the first night, the 15th, and then Ohana on Monday, the 17th!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: