Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
cyndiloveswalt
Mouseketeer
 
cyndiloveswalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 459

Sounds like a fun group, I'd love to follow along! And I'm happy to get in at the beginning, not having to try and catch up on tons of pages!
__________________
cyndiloveswalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasyland Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Posts: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndiloveswalt View Post
Sounds like a fun group, I'd love to follow along! And I'm happy to get in at the beginning, not having to try and catch up on tons of pages!
Welcome! We are surely not a dull group! I know what you mean about getting in at the beginning--I'm always playing catch-up!
__________________
Jennifer and Brandon, 2 Princesses and a PrinceSept. '09 (Pop), April/May '10 (Pop/CBR), Sept. '11 (Pop), Sept. '12 (CBR/Poly!), Sept. '13 (ASMo), Sept. '14 (POR/Beach Club)
TRIP VIDEO 2013! & TRIP VIDEO 2013-Mobile Friendly Version NEW VIDEOS!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasyland Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Posts: 1,589

Usually I know just what I want, and I usually go for it. USUALLY.

When I started planning this trip, I apparently had no direction or clear thoughts. Let’s start from the beginning, shall we?

First of all, we sometimes start planning our next trip before the other trip has even happened, so there is a year or more to make a zillion changes. Before now, I haven’t really made that many, though. On our 2011 trip, we had an ADR at Chef Mickey’s and I fell in love with the Contemporary Resort. I loved the vibe, I loved the design, and I especially loved the access to Magic Kingdom! Do you know how easy it would be for us logistically with our three small children? Perfection! I told Brandon during that dinner than I wanted this to be where we stayed next time, and he agreed. Contemporary it was!

But…

I started pricing it out. We were hit with lots of medical bills and the room-only discounts have been getting less and less. Reality sunk in: we would not be able to afford nine nights here.

I started from scratch with my planning. If we couldn’t have easy access, at least we could have room. It was time to look….

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN….off property. Yes, I just said that. I know, I know. What was wrong with me?!

I began my new search with some criteria. We’d need a place extremely close to WDW property. We needed a place with at least a water slide and possibly more water activities since this would be a trip without a water park (Brandon refuses to go back to a water park; read my last TR to find out why). We would need a place with two bedrooms. We would need somewhere CHEAP! There was one place that fit the bill, and I got quotes from two different people: Wyndham Bonnet Creek. The price was extremely reasonable. It has lazy rivers and water slides and is gorgeous! We would get our tickets via Undercover Tourist and pay out of pocket for meals, which would end up costing us more than the room. It was perfect!

But…

I just wasn’t feeling it. I kept putting off booking it.

And then?

Free dining was announced for Disney Visa cardholders! We’ve had free dining on every trip, though we’ve had to upgrade to the regular dining plan because of all the character meals we like to attend since values only give you quick service dining now. I looked into it and realized it would make sense to stay at a moderate resort and just get the free regular dining plan rather than staying at a value and upgrading. The resort would be bigger and better, as would the rooms, and it would end up costing about the same. Plus, moderates have water slides! I mentioned my reasoning to Brandon. He knew I hadn’t felt settled on Bonnet Creek, so he told me to price them all out and see how it went. When I totaled up room cost, dining, tickets, and parking cost if staying off-site, everything ended up costing about the same. YAY! He told me to decide which moderate I wanted and to book it!

I started looking through all the moderates on Allears. I wanted to try somewhere new, I really did.

But…

None of them appealed to me as much as Caribbean Beach Resort. We had stayed her for three nights in 2010 and loved it. Coming from Pop Century (which we also love), it was just so calm and relaxed. The kids loved the pirate ship kiddie pool area, and I loved the beaches and hammocks and theming. The kids love Finding Nemo, so the décor is perfect. Here are some pictures from that trip:















Yes, I was very pregnant with Sawyer in that picture, and the hammock was wonderful! No, I will NOT be pregnant this time. That’s unusual for me.

Okay, so I wouldn’t be trying somewhere new, but we would get to explore the resort more this time. I made a call and booked us at CBR with free dining and 8 day tickets from September 14-23. I was ecstatic and very much at ease! I would be giving up an extra bedroom, but I was more than willing to do that just to stay in the Disney magic!

But…

Room Only discounts came out. No, they weren’t spectacular, but my mind started thinking back to the ease of being on the monorail loop. As much as I played around the numbers, I couldn’t make it work for us to stay nine nights at a deluxe, even with the 20% off. But you know what I could afford? THREE NIGHTS! Brandon actually didn’t think I was crazy and encouraged me to splurge a little!!

So…

I called and changed my CBR ressie to September 14-20 with free dining and I kept the 8 park tickets on this reservation, and I booked the POLYNESIAN RESORT for September 20-23 with the room only discount!!!!! It will be our first ever deluxe stay! The girls are so happy because they are in love with Lilo and Stitch. And I’m excited because I love all things Hawaiian thanks to “Magnum, P.I.” (Again, don’t judge. Try it. You’ll be sucked into the mustache and short shorts and sports cars, too!)

Thus, I named this PTR “Island Hopping” because we’ll be hopping from the Caribbean islands to the Polynesian ones! (Also, the helicopter tour business in “Magnum, P.I.” is called Island Hoppers. Super fan here!)

Okay, do we have all that straight? Just to clarify:

6 nights at Caribbean Beach Resort, free dining, 8 park day tickets

3 nights at Polynesian Resort, room only discount, dining out of pocket on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Both resorts I chose the least expensive room category because a view means pretty much nothing to us.

There you have it—my confusing route to booking our trip!

If you thought that was confusing, just wait til I get around to making ADRs!
__________________
Jennifer and Brandon, 2 Princesses and a PrinceSept. '09 (Pop), April/May '10 (Pop/CBR), Sept. '11 (Pop), Sept. '12 (CBR/Poly!), Sept. '13 (ASMo), Sept. '14 (POR/Beach Club)
TRIP VIDEO 2013! & TRIP VIDEO 2013-Mobile Friendly Version NEW VIDEOS!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,313

YAY,YAY, YAY!!!!!!

I loved CBR and am dying to stay at the Poly!!! I am so excited for you!

Free dining too? Awesome!

Can't wait to hear about the ADRs!

No MiL? I'm sure that you're upset about that, but do try to have a good time without her there.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran
 
reyasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,729

I always loved relaxing on those hammocks at CBR... Especially at night after a long day at the park..... Sounds like heaven right now.

Glad you got everything you wanted.
__________________
reyasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
katt789
DIS Veteran
 
katt789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 5,590

CBR was so amazing in April I absolutely loooved it! Having your own little pool & beach front is just GREAT, and we never got to the big pool, but it looked totally awesome.

GAH! Poly! It's my other one true love! I stayed there 3 nights in Jan and just DIED (and never actually made it out to the beach in the sunlight haha) It's so beautiful, and my room ended up being directly beside the TTC which made for great monorail adventures!

I can't wait to hear more!! Also, totally forgot to mention this earlier, but Sawyer has gotten so big!! It totally blew my mind when I saw the first pics, sometimes I forget how fast kids grow up haha!!
__________________
In Progress Trip Reports
May 2014 (24 hr day)//Villains Unleashed!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy




katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
 
LifeIsDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Where dreams come true ♥
Posts: 1,874

I'm glad you found something for around the same price so you can stay on property. That's great!

I am so happy you can stay at both CBR and the Poly! Deluxe is just amazing and I know you and your whole family will love it. Staying Deluxe is an incredible experience.

Can't wait to hear about the ADRs!
LifeIsDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
lledman
DIS Veteran
 
lledman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 739

love your resort choices - and all the planning/logic behind them - I over anaylze things all the time.
__________________
November 2004 @ Cypress Pointe Grand Villas
April 2008 @ Fort Wilderness
August 2008 @ Pop Century
May 2011 with the in-laws
January 2012 - no husbands allowed

Best Friends Take on the World - October 2012 PTR

lledman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran
 
Dancegrl624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,984

Joining in! We'll be there from Sept 18-25th at POFQ. Come on over to my PTR if you'd like! I love having readers!
__________________
Me- Meghan (32), DH-Tony (30), DD-Madison (11), DS-Cole (3)



Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasyland Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Posts: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
YAY,YAY, YAY!!!!!!

I loved CBR and am dying to stay at the Poly!!! I am so excited for you!

Free dining too? Awesome!

Can't wait to hear about the ADRs!

No MiL? I'm sure that you're upset about that, but do try to have a good time without her there.
You know how sad I'll be without her! I actually told Brandon that not taking her will be like taking one less child!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
I always loved relaxing on those hammocks at CBR... Especially at night after a long day at the park..... Sounds like heaven right now.

Glad you got everything you wanted.
When I'm having a stressful day, I just go to that hammock in my mind...nice. Something I love about CBR is how quiet it is. When you're on one of those hammocks, it feels like no one else is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
CBR was so amazing in April I absolutely loooved it! Having your own little pool & beach front is just GREAT, and we never got to the big pool, but it looked totally awesome.

GAH! Poly! It's my other one true love! I stayed there 3 nights in Jan and just DIED (and never actually made it out to the beach in the sunlight haha) It's so beautiful, and my room ended up being directly beside the TTC which made for great monorail adventures!

I can't wait to hear more!! Also, totally forgot to mention this earlier, but Sawyer has gotten so big!! It totally blew my mind when I saw the first pics, sometimes I forget how fast kids grow up haha!!
I know, he's huge! He'll be two years old two weeks from Saturday. I don't know where the time goes!
I am so excited about the Poly! Sounds like you had a great location...of course, aren't they all great?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
I'm glad you found something for around the same price so you can stay on property. That's great!

I am so happy you can stay at both CBR and the Poly! Deluxe is just amazing and I know you and your whole family will love it. Staying Deluxe is an incredible experience.

Can't wait to hear about the ADRs!
I've been told that it's hard to go back after you stay Deluxe. I didn't mention that to Brandon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lledman View Post
love your resort choices - and all the planning/logic behind them - I over anaylze things all the time.
I'm most definitely an over-planner. Guilty! But the good part is that the thinking is done before the vacation so we can all relax while we're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Joining in! We'll be there from Sept 18-25th at POFQ. Come on over to my PTR if you'd like! I love having readers!
I'll be right over!
__________________
Jennifer and Brandon, 2 Princesses and a PrinceSept. '09 (Pop), April/May '10 (Pop/CBR), Sept. '11 (Pop), Sept. '12 (CBR/Poly!), Sept. '13 (ASMo), Sept. '14 (POR/Beach Club)
TRIP VIDEO 2013! & TRIP VIDEO 2013-Mobile Friendly Version NEW VIDEOS!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,622

AHH! I love the title of your report! Actually there are a lot of things I enjoy about this update. CBR was the first resort I ever stayed at growing up and I remember I LOVED it... especially the slide! I think I went down it like 50 times, haha.

ALSO, so exciting you're staying at the Poly! It has such a lovely laid-back feel to it...

ALSO ALSO, growing up, I LOVED MAGNUM PI! I had the most mega crush ever on Tom Selleck! I just love him and his stylish mustache! Hahaha.. I swear sometimes we are the same person.

But no, I think after dealing with how you have to book DVC, I'm actually USED to to confusion when booking resorts... so I'm totally with you on this. Can't wait to hear more about your plans for this trip!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Yay for getting to stay where you guys really wanted to!!!! I'm so glad you didn't settle and were able to stay on property!

Poly is definitely convenient for getting to both the MK and Epcot! There's of course the monorail, but you can very easily walk to the TTC from there (once you pick the right path, unlike us! ), and then hop the monorail to Epcot, or you can take the boat to the MK from there!

Oh, I'm not confused yet, don't you worry!!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #28
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
 
megveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts!
Posts: 1,602

Ohhh! Im So so so glad I found your TR now! In my past trips, I had no choice over which hotel I wanted to stay at until my memorial week trip in 08 and I picked the Poly because the year before I stayed at Shades of Green and got to walk through the Poly to get to the boats/monorail and I decided I HAD to stay there! Youll absolutely love it! It's so relaxing! Staying at a Deluxe last trip really spoiled me!

Im curious to hear more about your split stay. I think the trip Im trying to plan for Oct 2013 will be my last trip for a while and I want to make it somewhat big. Im currently debating on an AOA/4 night disney cruis/Wilderness Lodge stay and Im sort of overwhelmed with the idea of multi-reservations but I know if Im going to try something like this, Disney is the PERFECT place for it

Hope you're well!
__________________
Hi, I'm Meghan.
"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!
megveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasyland Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Posts: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
AHH! I love the title of your report! Actually there are a lot of things I enjoy about this update. CBR was the first resort I ever stayed at growing up and I remember I LOVED it... especially the slide! I think I went down it like 50 times, haha.

ALSO, so exciting you're staying at the Poly! It has such a lovely laid-back feel to it...

ALSO ALSO, growing up, I LOVED MAGNUM PI! I had the most mega crush ever on Tom Selleck! I just love him and his stylish mustache! Hahaha.. I swear sometimes we are the same person.

But no, I think after dealing with how you have to book DVC, I'm actually USED to to confusion when booking resorts... so I'm totally with you on this. Can't wait to hear more about your plans for this trip!
I loved him then. I love him now. You cannot deny the appeal of that mustache and chest hair. Brandon shaved his beard and left just a mustache and it looked RIDICULOUS! But Tom?? PERFECTION. I think I might be a little scary.

Yeah, your DVC talk has me confused. But you did eventually get all the days at Beach Club, so YAY! I'm only processing that part and forgetting that you had to call twice to do it. My brain hurts just keeping up with myself! Woo-hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Yay for getting to stay where you guys really wanted to!!!! I'm so glad you didn't settle and were able to stay on property!

Poly is definitely convenient for getting to both the MK and Epcot! There's of course the monorail, but you can very easily walk to the TTC from there (once you pick the right path, unlike us! ), and then hop the monorail to Epcot, or you can take the boat to the MK from there!

Oh, I'm not confused yet, don't you worry!!!
I really have been thinking about you during all this switch-er-roo-ing...I mean, you're the QUEEN of changes! Plus, Brandon asked to go to Akershus a-la-Wingnut. So we're practically twins.
I am super excited about just rolling strollers with children buckled in to our destination instead of loading up, unloading, wash, rinse, repeat. And no worries--our nights at Poly just happen to line up with Epcot/MK days only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megveg View Post
Ohhh! Im So so so glad I found your TR now! In my past trips, I had no choice over which hotel I wanted to stay at until my memorial week trip in 08 and I picked the Poly because the year before I stayed at Shades of Green and got to walk through the Poly to get to the boats/monorail and I decided I HAD to stay there! Youll absolutely love it! It's so relaxing! Staying at a Deluxe last trip really spoiled me!

Im curious to hear more about your split stay. I think the trip Im trying to plan for Oct 2013 will be my last trip for a while and I want to make it somewhat big. Im currently debating on an AOA/4 night disney cruis/Wilderness Lodge stay and Im sort of overwhelmed with the idea of multi-reservations but I know if Im going to try something like this, Disney is the PERFECT place for it

Hope you're well!
I AM BEYOND EXCITED!!
We did a split stay once before. It is not hard at ALL at Disney--they'll even transport your luggage between resorts (or at least they did then)! The one thing I'd remember is that if you buy tickets with a package, make it the first package and get the tickets then for all the days you'll need, making your last stop a room-only ressie. Park cost per day goes down the longer you stay, and ask long as your trip is less than two weeks, it makes sense not to pay the high rates twice! Other than that, it's simple. Promise. Because if it wasn't simple, there's no way I could have handled it!


__________________
Jennifer and Brandon, 2 Princesses and a PrinceSept. '09 (Pop), April/May '10 (Pop/CBR), Sept. '11 (Pop), Sept. '12 (CBR/Poly!), Sept. '13 (ASMo), Sept. '14 (POR/Beach Club)
TRIP VIDEO 2013! & TRIP VIDEO 2013-Mobile Friendly Version NEW VIDEOS!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #30
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post

I really have been thinking about you during all this switch-er-roo-ing...I mean, you're the QUEEN of changes! Plus, Brandon asked to go to Akershus a-la-Wingnut. So we're practically twins.
I am super excited about just rolling strollers with children buckled in to our destination instead of loading up, unloading, wash, rinse, repeat. And no worries--our nights at Poly just happen to line up with Epcot/MK days only.
Hahaha yes!!!! Hey changing things around only makes the planning process and fun keep on going even longer!

You guys are going to love Akershus, I'm sure! We thought it was great!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.