Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Nine Days of WDW Food for 9 (with pics) Now Complete w/ Final Thoughts

I have been putting off writing my reviews for a few weeks because I can't remember exactly what all nine members of our party thought about each item they ordered! I give up! I have decided to tell you what "I" thought of my food and perhaps any other opinions from others in my party that stand out in my mind. It's already been three weeks and if I put it off any longer I won't even remember what I thought!!!

A little bit about us: I have been a member of the DIS since Nov. of 1999. DH and I honeymooned in WDW 27+ years ago. This was our 27th family vacation to WDW. We were back with my parents and our kids a couple of years ago to have a big 25th wedding anniversary celebration. We have six sons ages 8-25. We are now VERY happy to have a DIL and I think she really enjoys having LOTS of brothers since she had none before! The day before our vacation she graduated l with her master's degree.
We had never been to Kouzzina for breakfast and we really like to try new places. Some of us had been for dinner last year and knew we liked their French Pressed coffee. Most of us ordered that and were very pleased with it, again (actually, I have just been reminded that several people thought the coffee was "weak"). Our server was terrific and we knew we were "back in Disney" when he started sharing all the park events we shouldn't miss that week. NOW we were on vacation!

First Morning's Breakfast: Kouzzina

Breakfast Skillet - served with eggs, Pequillo peppers, Nueske's bacon, onions, and Greek cheese on Sweet potato hash and topped with arugula or Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast - Two Poached Eggs, Kalamata Olive Toast, Artichoke Spread, and Sweet Potato Hash with choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage(my eggs were scrambled. I honestly don't remember entree I ordered. I thought there was Greek cheese on top of my eggs, so that kind of "throws" me.

French Toast Baklava - Grilled Fig and Anise country bread with honey, walnuts and cinnamon with your choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage

We were really tired after not getting checked into our hotel until 2 am. We were still waiting for my son and DIL to fly in this morning and meet us. Unfortunately, many of our pics from this meals seem to have disappeared. Most of us, however, ordered these two breakfasts. Those who ordered the French Toast Baklava thought it was fabulous. I had been really tempted to order it, but after tasting it was very glad that I had ordered a savory breakfast instead of a sweet one. It just wasn't for me.

Last edited by Belle5; 07-14-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Our first night's dinner was at Sanaa. This was the first visit for some and the third visit for half of us. What an INCREDIBLE first meal with all of us together (now that oldest DS and DIL had arrived)! Our server (I think his badge said Rico, but our ticket had him with another name) was the best server we have ever had at any WDW restaurant...and we've been to a lot! This gentleman could not do enough to serve us! His response to any unusual request was something like, "This is Disney World. We can make magic happen." I could see that my DIL was now beginning to see what my DS had been trying to tell her about why our family loves WDW so much! When we ordered the bread service (Naan only) with nine dips, if we would run out of a dip, he would replace it. We had not had that happen before. The food was better than any of us remembered. So, so delicious!

Sanaa--Indian-style Bread Service Choice of Three Breads and Three Accompaniments Accompaniments Breads **Naan (we ordered only this bread) though it normally comes with Onion Kulcha, Paneer Paratha and Pappadam. Dips were: Red Chile Sambal, Cucumber Raita, Coriander Chutney, Mango Chutney, Coconut Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Spicy Jalapeño-Lime Pickle, Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus, and Tamarind Chutney
We had many refills of the garlic-pickle and most of the chutneys. We LOVE spicy foods, but the Jalapeño-Lime Pickle nearly killed us so beware!!

Sanaa- From the Tandoor Ovens, served with Apricot-Raisin Chutney and choice of Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Pilaf (shown here with Five-Grain pilaf, Apricot-Raisin Chutney and Tandoori Chicken). The dips in front are not part of the entree! My son loved this meal!

DS 8, once again, loved this cheese pizza!

Sanaa--Slow-cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-seasoned Choice of Two served with Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Pilaf (shown here: Basmati Rice, Butter Chicken and Spicy Durban Chicken
This was MY meal and was it fabulous! While the Spicy Durban Chicken was yummy it didn't even compare to the perfection of the butter chicken! I wish I would have ordered two of those instead! I would have loved the shrimp others ordered but, sadly, am allergic! That combination (Butter Chicken and Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce seemed to be the perfect combination to those who ordered it)!

Sanaa--Slow-cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-seasoned
Choice of Two served with Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Pilaf (shown here: Basmati Rice, Spicy Durban Chicken and
Beef Short Ribs
My son enjoyed this meal, though I had cautioned him that the beef short rib dish reminded me of one of my crock-pot roasts last time I ordered it--and who wants crock-pot tasting food on vacation? NOT ME! But he did, and enjoyed it!

African Cooking with Indian Flavors Today’s Sustainable Fish with Shrimp and Scallops served with Seasonal Vegetables in a light Curry Broth
My son loved this meal!

Sanaa--Slow-cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-seasoned
Choice of Two served with Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Pilaf (shown here: Basmati Rice, Butter Chicken and Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce)
With all the sampling going on at our table, everyone trying everything they weren't allergic to...this was proclaimed the perfect Sanaa meal!

Sanaa-complimentary Chocolate Cake
with Raspberry-Mint Sorbet for DIL's graduation. She is allergic to berries and doesn't care for chocolate so I ended up enjoying most of this and it was tasty...though I am glad it's not what I ordered for my dessert!

DIL's dessert: Warm Rice Pudding
Served with Mango, Pistachio Tuile, and Cinnamon Cream. She really enjoyed this dessert! I love the way "SANAA" is written on the plate in cinnamon!

Dessert Trio--Chocolate Cake, Tropical Fruit Kulfi,
and Chai Cream
This was the dessert most of the table ordered. The hands-down favorite of the trio was the Chai Cream. I now wish we would have asked our server if we could somehow have had just a large bowl of Chai Cream...and since he was always saying, "This is Disney World. We make magic happen"...maybe he could have found a way to do this??? As I felt last time, the Kulfi, while good, is not something I would really choose...it's just a way to get to the Chai Cream!
A few of us had loose-leaf tea pots brought with our dessert which is nice. One of our sons made it a point to order cappuccino at each restaurant and thought Sanaa's was pretty good.
Over all our meal was a stand-out and if and when we return to Disney each person in our party would insist that we dine at this incredibly beautiful and delicious restaurant!

Last edited by Belle5; 06-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Sanaa is a WONDERFUL restaurant..and we LOVE the garlic pickle. We had nothing but fantastic service there, as well. I am glad everyone enjoyed it (I had the spicy durban shrimp, basmati rice, and the spicy cauliflower/tomato dish from the veg menu when we went. it was perfect!!).
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Our first day in the theme parks was spent at EPCOT. We knew from our visit last year that we didn't want to miss dining at Via Napoli and were anxious to share the experience with those who had not been there with us. Our new DIL and also our son have "lived"
in Italy during a semester of college and are both very familiar with authentic Italian pizza. Our experience at Via Napoli was close to perfect. At this point in the vacation we were pretty much "hitting it out of the park" as far as dining choices!

Love these jars!

"Family Style" House Salad Served Exclusively with Pizza - leaf lettuces, roasted red peppers, marinated mushrooms, olives, peperonicini, red wine vinaigrette
We loved this salad last time and it didn't disappoint this visit, either. We found ourselves picking through the leaves to find personal favorites like olives (these are GOOD ones), peppers or marinated mushrooms. Delicious!

Salad on the plate....

Quattro Formaggi - mozzarella, parmesan, fontina, provolone
We were laughing out of embarrassment when our HUGE pizzas arrived. I must say, however, not too much went to waste! People always ask, "How do you feed SIX boys?" THIS, my friends, is how you do it!!!

up close...

Prosciutto e Melone - fontina, mozzarella, prosciutto, cantelope

up close...
We had ordered (and adored) the Quattro Formaggi pizza last year, sharing a smaller version for our party of four. We couldn't wait to share this pizza with the rest of our family and get the opinions of everyone and "approval" from the two who had really spent time in Italy. Everyone was over-the-top impressed with the pizza and Via Napoli in general!! Another dining "hit"!

Aqua Frescas
Signature House-made Seasonal Fruit Coolers - 14 oz. Blood Orange, Strawberry...I mentioned that all of us who ordered these last year thought they were "good" but not worth ordering again. Still, at least one of our sons wanted to try this. He thought it was good, but when we went back later in the week and ordered another one, he commented that he didn't know why he ordered one again as it really wasn't all that great.

This little beauty was voted best cappuccino of the week by far! DH ordered two or three at one sitting (hey, we're on vacation)! We ordered them again when we returned later in the week.

A better view of this little dream...

Via Napoli--Coppa di Brutti Ma Buoni-
-Ugly but Good, Amarena cherry & vanilla gelato sundae with the "ugly but good cookies"
This was my dessert and I must say, Via Napoli should be ashamed to charge so much money for this sundae! It was completely average (at best). Just bring me a bowl of the Amerena cherries and be done. I admit to being very, very spoiled by Paciugo Gelato in Texas. This just didn't even compare.

Via Napoli--Tiramisu-
-Mascarpone cream, espresso coffee, lady fingers and chocolate
This was the best tasting dessert on the table and everyone ordered it the second time we went to Via Napoli!

Zeppole di Ricotta - Ricotta cheese fritters, served with whipped cream and chocolate sauce
DIL who has spent a lot of time in Italy, wasn't too thrilled by these and tried to give them away. I nibbled a couple, but just didn't find them appealing.
With the exception of desserts Via Napoli was splendid! We were moaning with delight throughout the vacation every time we would think of that pizza and those cappuccinos. Wow!

Last edited by Belle5; 06-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
jabead
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far Belle! I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great start to your reviews. Those pizzas are HUGE. I really wish I could persuade DH to try Via Napoli but he doesn't like pizza, nor is he that fussed on pasta or tomato-based sauces, which pretty much means the whole menu is unappealing to him. Hey ho, maybe one day I might visit without him and then I am all over that Quatro Formaggi pizza
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews so far! How wonderful to see that salad at Via Napoli. Those are the first photos I recall having seen of it. We can't wait to try VN in August. We loved Sanaa, too! Sorry we missed the butter chicken, but I tried the shrimp with green curry and it was YUM!

Can't wait to read more!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
Sanaa is a WONDERFUL restaurant..and we LOVE the garlic pickle. We had nothing but fantastic service there, as well. I am glad everyone enjoyed it (I had the spicy durban shrimp, basmati rice, and the spicy cauliflower/tomato dish from the veg menu when we went. it was perfect!!).
We should start a garlic-pickle fan club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Great reviews so far Belle! I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
I know I enjoy your reviews, jabead! Glad I could return the favor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great start to your reviews. Those pizzas are HUGE. I really wish I could persuade DH to try Via Napoli but he doesn't like pizza, nor is he that fussed on pasta or tomato-based sauces, which pretty much means the whole menu is unappealing to him. Hey ho, maybe one day I might visit without him and then I am all over that Quatro Formaggi pizza
Tell him to go for dessert and let you enjoy a pizza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Love your reviews so far! How wonderful to see that salad at Via Napoli. Those are the first photos I recall having seen of it. We can't wait to try VN in August. We loved Sanaa, too! Sorry we missed the butter chicken, but I tried the shrimp with green curry and it was YUM!

Can't wait to read more!
I think there are a few salads at Via Napoli. The one shown is the family-style. It is simple, but I really like it! It's just perfect with pizza!
I can't tell you how sorry I am that you missed the Butter Chicken. It is really THAT good!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
partyof2
Colette

Really enjoying this, especially your Sanaa review, I feel like I never see enough of them!

It's probably the restaurant I'm most anxious about but after seeing your pictures I don't know what I was worried about. I was planning on having the Tandoori Lamb but the Butter Chicken and Green Curry Shrimp look INCREDIBLE! Hopefully I can coax my boyfriend into the Butter Chicken at least, although if he sees the kids pizza I might lose that battle!

Oh and I am totally having that Tiramisu at Via Napoli!
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!

partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof2 View Post
Really enjoying this, especially your Sanaa review, I feel like I never see enough of them!

It's probably the restaurant I'm most anxious about but after seeing your pictures I don't know what I was worried about. I was planning on having the Tandoori Lamb but the Butter Chicken and Green Curry Shrimp look INCREDIBLE! Hopefully I can coax my boyfriend into the Butter Chicken at least, although if he sees the kids pizza I might lose that battle!

Oh and I am totally having that Tiramisu at Via Napoli!
You will love Sanaa! It is such a beautiful restaurant. Once you've been there, you can't help but feel you have had a real vacation experience...something VERY out of the ordinary...

Good choice on the Via Napoli dessert...though during our 2011 vacation we didn't even order dessert there and left totally satisfied.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Via Napoli was lunch for us during our first day in the parks. The plan for dinner was for us to try Tokyo Dining for the first time. Well, you will not be surprised to find that we were just wayyyy too full to try and pull off a meal like that! We decided to let everyone separate and do their own thing at a QS location of their choice. Most of the gang headed for KATSURA GRILL in Japan so they could have a light meal of sushi. From the sound of it, it was a great choice for them! Another group stopped at Boulangerie Patisserie in France to enjoy eclairs, quiche, something like a French bread pizza and some cappuccino. Everything was enjoyed...especially the eclair with the chocolate mousse filling (I had some of that). Yum! DS24 and I wandered over to Tangierine Cafe in Morocco.
I was too full, especially after my eclair, to have a big meal, so I opted for:

Tabouleh and a Tangierine Couscous Salad. This was an 'OK' choice. I have enjoyed these items much more in the past. Not sure what was going on...
My son fared better with this:

Morrocan Kefta Sandwich - Seasoned ground beef, grilled and served with fresh salsa and fries

We had an odd experience with cappuccino at the Morocco Coffee & Pastries in the back of the restaurant. A few of us ordered a cappuccino from this location. The first one was fairly lousy. Then, the poor girl who was making them burned her hand making drinks for others. It was our turn again, another girl took the place of the injured girl and turned out cappuccinos that competed with the ones at Via Napoli. A few days later, we returned hoping to repeat the experience and were SADLY disappointed. Unlike the rest of us, DIL enjoyed a hot mint tea while watching Illuminations:

Isn't it lovely? She really enjoyed it!

Last edited by Belle5; 06-18-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Belle5
DIS Veteran

The next morning DH drove a Lamborghini Superleggera with the Disney Exotic Driving Experience. Being a "car guy" it was a thrilling experience for him and rewarding for the rest of us to watch him have his moment! This took quite a chunk of time from our morning schedule so we unexpectedly decided to go to Kona Cafe for a late breakfast when the driving experience was finished. We have always considered Kona to have one of the very best breakfasts on Disney property. I have been dreaming of enjoying the macadamia nut pancakes again since having them last year. Our experience this year could not have been more different. It was so disappointing, we cancelled that evening's ADR there. Our service was Denny's level. Absolutely NOTHING magical about it. Really, it was just pretty cold. The only person who enjoyed their meal was the one who ordered Tonga Toast. Shockingly, the cappuccino ordered at Kona was the worst of the week from a TS location! Those who ordered the French Presses of Kona coffee were happy.

--Big Kahuna - French toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, eggs, home fried potatoes, ham, bacon, and sausage

My very dry and disappointing Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes - with macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce and your choice of ham, bacon or sausage

Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with Strawberry Compote and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage
This was as good as usual!

The Somoan - poached eggs with Hollandaise served over smoked pulled pork hash. DIL thought this was "OK". I tasted it and was very glad I hadn't ordered it.

Kappucino from Kona. This was one of the least impressive cappuccinos of the week.

We cancelled dinner for that night, but later in the week DH and our sons went back to Kona for wings, coffee and dessert while DIL were having tea at the GF.

Last edited by Belle5; 06-18-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Wow your review and pics of Sanaa has me starving!! I have got to eat there next trip no questions asked
Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Wow your review and pics of Sanaa has me starving!! I have got to eat there next trip no questions asked
Yes, yes!! You must go. No question!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Belle5
DIS Veteran

After the driving experience we spent what was left of the day in the MK. After cancelling our dinner ADR we just ended up eating lousy QS (Cosmic Ray's) for dinner. I am glad I don't have pics...I don't want to remember!

The next day, we spent a full day in the MK. On our way there, we stopped at the Kona Island Cafe Coffee Bar at the Polynesian. I hope I don't offend anyone with pics of half-eaten pastries...but I didn't grab the camera in time! So we waited in line to order nine pastries, a juice and eight coffees. A gentleman (I use the term loosely) behind us in line was NONE TOO PLEASED with us. First of all, we ordered quickly and made ONE monetary transaction. I admit several of us ordered Kappuccinos which take a little more time to make--can't help that the coffee bar was understaffed. Anyway, this guy starts loud-mouthing about "some HUGE family just came and wiped everything out"! Well, we were nine paying customers...we could have just as easily been three families of three. What's the difference! I am guessing this man had difficulty finding joy at WDW if he was set off by that! Here we go:

raspberry cream cheese swirl danish--this was tasty if you like cheesecake, which I don't. I was the last in our party to order so the ones I wanted were gone!

Some kind of a cinnamon-nut pastry. I tasted it and it was good!

Look at all those cherries in that Danish!! My little guy loved this!
I would not hesitate to have breakfast here again (actually, we have done so before) on our way into the MK!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: