Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #91
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh1 View Post
Only if she lives nearby! And is constantly asking if it's time to go yet. LOL. I think that most 8 year olds would be able to understand and wait (but maybe not patiently).

I think you could do something fun with it for Christmas since you are going after. If you're giving her some souvenir money then you could get her a gift card or Disney dollars or just make a certificate for some spending money. If you are just doing the trip, then you could make her a certificate for a special photo with ____ (fill in her favorite character). It'd also be fun to make a fake airline ticket or some type of travel itinerary that shows she is going to Disney. Or you could make a countdown calendar or chain for her so she can count down the days. However you want to do it, she can have something to open on Christmas and can anticipate the upcoming trip.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you do DISigns, I'm sure you'll think of something super creative for telling her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaastralis View Post
My dd will be 8 in Jan, and I think it depends on the kid. Maybe if you got her some small things to bring on the trip, or her own suitcase if she doesn't have one ... that might get her excited.

My parents anniversary is right after Christmas, and I'm planning on sending them to the Grand Floridian for two nights. I might (depending on how many more times our car plans on breaking down this year ... ) plan out a nice dinner and something else for them to do there. However, I've told them that all of their gifts this year are going to be put off until their anniversary .... don't you know my dad complained at Father's Day that I hadn't gotten him anything. I hope your daughter is more understanding than my dad.

Ok here is what happened in the past hour

We scrapped the idea of taking my Grand-daughter on a March break trip.

Air Canada dropped their price down to $545.00 from $680.00 so we decided to book a ticket for my grand daughter for our Jan 1st trip instead of our March -Spring break trip.
I think she can wait 6 days . It will be a Christmas Surprise gift.
Now I must keep this secret.
Hugs Mel

michelleh1
I plan on making her a Giant airline ticket to announce the trip--she is going to be sooooo excited,,and this Nana is a bit excited too!!!Thanks for the kind advise.

reginaastralis
Hon your dad will understand when he sees how you have planned a special time for them at the GF,,I'd love to stay there.You are a great daughter.

Thank-you both for all your advise and support

Last edited by bababear_50; 06-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #92
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I got two books preordered for gifts today. The new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book and a new Captain Underpants book are coming out this year and the scholasticbookstore.com is having a sale using JULY4 you get 20% off. Free shipping if you spend over $25 so I didn't get free shipping, but still saved $1.30 after shipping.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #93
tinytinkmom
I work to support my vacation habit!

So happy I'm not alone!
We are heading to WDW and on a Fantasy cruise for the two weeks leading up to Christmas, so I feel like I need to get everything taken care of early this year! Not to mention, I enjoy Christmas shopping!
WDW Offsite---August 1990 * Offsite---May 2003 * FW---May 2007 * POP---Jan 2009 * POP---March 2012 * POFQ---Dec 2012 DL Too many times to count! DCL Western---May 2007 * Eastern---Jan 2008 * MR---March 2011 * Double-Dip---March 2012 * Eastern---Dec 2012

Check out my blog: www.springintodisney.blogspot.com

tinytinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #94
michelleh1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post

Air Canada dropped their price down to $545.00 from $680.00 so we decided to book a ticket for my grand daughter for our Jan 1st trip instead of our March -Spring break trip.
I think she can wait 6 days . It will be a Christmas Surprise gift.
How exciting! I think that is perfect, just a few days to anticipate the trip, but not so long that it causes craziness. The big airplane ticket is a great idea too.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #95
TillyDe
Mouseketeer

I start shopping for Christmas the day after Christmas. Last year I got my DD a electric brownie baker at Walmart for $3 right after Christmas.

Last September, I walked into a local Walmart and all toys on Clearance was 1/2 off. I had found out in August that my first grandchild was going to be a boy. So, I got stuff for all the way up to age 3 or 4. It is stored in my closet.

Last weekend, my DD returned some Walmart diapers due to they stick to my grandson. She had been given 4 boxes as a gift. She got a gift card and bought toys for him for Christmas/Birthday.

So, this past month I have discovered Viggle, Sunshine Rewards, and Swag Bucks. Plus my daughter does Viggle. We are going to use these to get as much as we can. Next year we want to do a totally free Chistmas by doing these and the free Target gift cards with purchase.

We do not have just Christmas to worry about but the following:
My daughters birthday is mid November. Her boyfriends daughter and my birthday is the first week of December. My Grandson's birthday is Jan 6. Then DD boyfriend birthday is mid Feb.

And I belong to the "over buy club".

Debbie
TillyDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #96
bababear_50

Getting closer to my goal BUT I am also one of those in "Over Buy Club" .
The heat here is making it easy for me to dream of Christmas.
Hugs mel
Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #97
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I've bought a few items, mostly on our summer vacation. Our 'extra' room is being cleaned out this summer & I think there are a few 'lost' purchases in there. Our budget has tightened so those 'lost' items will probably become gifts for someone.

Biggest problem I have is DS vs DD. DS usually wants something really expensive & DD wants a bunch of little things. So, we end up with a serious present discrepancy. DS says he doesn't mind (& I believe him) but his little pile is so pathetic some years.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #98
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
DS usually wants something really expensive & DD wants a bunch of little things. So, we end up with a serious present discrepancy. DS says he doesn't mind (& I believe him) but his little pile is so pathetic some years.
I've already started the groundwork for that problem with my two daughters. DD5 still likes all kinds of little things (seriously, one of her favorite b-day gifts was a stuffed animal that would have been $8 new, but I got it for a quarter at the thrift shop), but DD8 has discovered video games and wants the latest titles (doesn't get them much, but wants them.) I was wrapping presents and she commented about "how come I have two small ones and Sissy has 4 big ones?" So I had to explain to her that sometimes the best things do come in small packages, and that when she wants more expensive gifts, that means there will be fewer of them. She took it pretty well...

Now if only SD20 could be convinced...
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #99
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

My goal for this year is to do my kid's presents for almost "free." I do Viggle and Wikets (apps on my iPad) and have a decent amount of Barnes & Noble and Amazon gift cards saved up. I don't go overboard, though. I think we're going with Legos, maybe Dream Lites, and DS game, and a couple other tiny things? I'll decide later--it's still only July.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #100
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Biggest problem I have is DS vs DD. DS usually wants something really expensive & DD wants a bunch of little things. So, we end up with a serious present discrepancy. DS says he doesn't mind (& I believe him) but his little pile is so pathetic some years.
I have the same issue and tend to have a lot of guilt over it. DS is 16 and DD will be 3 in December. When DS was little I definitely over bought. I have cut back but DS's "toys" are in the form of a new TV and the latest video game titles at $60 a pop. DD's stuff is just little and there is so much more! Example: last year for Christmas my father got DS a gift card to GameStop for $50 so handed me a 50 and asked that I get DD a gift with it. DS got the same amount of money but spent it all on one game. I got DD a Little People jungle thing with an additional 4 animals, total of 5 things. He understands but it just looks so unbalanced.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #101
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

When DD13 was younger i too could shop early etc. Now it seems like Christmas is all year round at this age. Last week she got a brand new bike for having an incredible year at school and I paid 1/2 for a new ipod touch for her. Guess I could wait for xmas for such things but you can't ride a bike iin PA snow in winter and the ipod is such a nice treat as her old one kept crashing, etc. how could I make her wait until xmas? SOO no buying early etc.

But having 1 child makes holiday shopping easy as sometimes I see so many cool things one year and the next is eh. So her present pile varies wildly....I use to shop SO early but found I returned most or it wasn't what SHE really wanted and I ended up wasting money even if the item was super cheap. I don't do clutter and neither does she! So I WISH I could even remotely think of the holidays but alas that has to wait until December b/c of the fickle teen years!
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #102
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I try not to have a lot of guilt over the different amounts of presents. Usually I'm able to find dirt cheap items throughout the year (like a shirt at Mardel for 90% off) that I can toss under the tree as well.
I also do crazy stuff like wrap presents in lots of layers & then put even small items into enormous gift sacks so it looks like 'more' under the tree.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #103
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
I try not to have a lot of guilt over the different amounts of presents. Usually I'm able to find dirt cheap items throughout the year (like a shirt at Mardel for 90% off) that I can toss under the tree as well.
I also do crazy stuff like wrap presents in lots of layers & then put even small items into enormous gift sacks so it looks like 'more' under the tree.
I've done that, and have also done scavenger hunts, leaving mysterious clues for them to figure out to stretch out the gift if there is one really big one.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #104
bababear_50

I am Officially DONE!!!!
First time in my life that I have ever done this.
Christmas is going to be so much more relaxed for me this year.
I am a single parent and Nana and the expense alone sometimes is a bit much. I was able to shave off 1/3 of the cost this year,not as good as the 2/3 I was hoping but it really is due to buying my grand daughter a airplane ticket to Disney,,and that for me is priceless.

Thought I'd post my favorite Christmas song to get others in the mood

Link here
Where are you Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr7U...feature=fvwrel

And here is the Budget Buster
a rather large ticket I designed and printed and laminated which will float out of a Christmas box,filled with helium balloons.
Yes that is my budget board Minnie piggy bank behind the ticket which is now empty.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hugs Mel

Last edited by bababear_50; 07-07-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: revised picture
Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #105
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post
I am Offically DONE!!!!
First time in my life that I have ever done this.
Christmas is going to be so much more relaxed for me this year.
I am a single parent and Nana and the expense alone sometimes is a bit much. I was able to shave off 1/3 of the cost this year,not as good as the 2/3 I was hoping but it really is due to buying my grand daughter a airplane ticket to Disney,,and that for me is priceless.

Thought I'd post my favorite Christmas song to get others in the mood

Link here
Where are you Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr7U...feature=fvwrel

And here is the Budget Buster
a rather large ticket I designed and printed and laminated which will float out of a Christmas box,filled with helium balloons.
Yes that is my budget board Minnie piggy bank behind the ticket which is now empty.

Hugs Mel
That's awesome!

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS

Last edited by mrsbornkuntry; 07-07-2012 at 09:41 PM.
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: