Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #76
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
I saw this on Pinterest and had to share it. These are candy sleighs....perfect as a stocking stuffer! You take a glue gun and put a dollop of glue on the back side of candy and adhere it to the candy canes. (They did that with the Kit Kat bar.) Stack the rest of the candy, (and/or small gifts) and then tie with ribbon. Too cute!

ETA: I'm going to do candy and maybe gift cards for the sleigh. I will write the recipient's name on a Christmas tag and slip it over one of the legs of the sleigh.

diznee25
Cute idea!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #77
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Ears View Post
What do you have for ideas to go along with a walking stick?
Good socks. You can never have enough socks, and with walking/hiking, the quality can make a difference.

Also if she is not already part of it, you could get her some volksmarching stuff (www.ava.org). It's sort of an international walking club thing. They have pre-planned trails all over the world and most of them you can participate for free, or you can get a "stamp" in your book for a couple bucks. They sell "starter kits" of two books (one for events and one for distance) and a few "free walk credit" coupons for $5, but that's only for new folks, if she's already into it, she'd already have the books and not be able to use new ones. But again, most of the walks are totally free, and you can search for them for free on the website, print out the information, etc. The fee is only if you want to stamp your book and get the awards when you complete certain milestones. So you can find a walk in say, Bangor Historic District, follow it all around (the walks usually target historic and cultural highlights on the route, including little blurbs and factoids), and have a great day, for free! Even if you think she won't want to do the for-fee part, you can print out a number of events listings for her, which will include the "start point" information. We see lots of retirees at these, so Mom might meet a whole new crew of friends.

If you have a sibling who wants to "go in" with you, or if Mom has a really good smart phone, you might see if she'd be interested in geocaching, since those usually involve walking (and sometimes HIKING). A lot of volksmarchers will hunt geocaches along the way, since both sports are really about the adventure and the discovery of some place new. Geocaching can be expensive to start because you need a fairly sensitive GPS... my handheld cost $100 a few years ago, but more and more phone apps are becoming available. A car GPS is NOT going to be sensitive enough, but can help you get to the general vicinity.

Just some ideas.
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #78
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

BOGO toys at Rite Aid

I put this on the main budget board, too, Rite Aid has their summer toys BOGO free right now. I picked up some yoyos and batons for stocking stuffers.
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #79
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

Zhoen, ooo great ideas, thanks. Great info.
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #80
moonpie85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
I saw this on Pinterest and had to share it. These are candy sleighs....perfect as a stocking stuffer! You take a glue gun and put a dollop of glue on the back side of candy and adhere it to the candy canes. (They did that with the Kit Kat bar.) Stack the rest of the candy, (and/or small gifts) and then tie with ribbon. Too cute!

ETA: I'm going to do candy and maybe gift cards for the sleigh. I will write the recipient's name on a Christmas tag and slip it over one of the legs of the sleigh.

diznee25
Used to make those with my momma as a little girl. Haven't seen them in years! Thanks for the reminder, might be good to make again this year
October 2011- Pop Adoption Celebration Trip
December 2013- Pop Holiday Palooza

Me DH DD3 Pommie Weenie

moonpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #81
moonpie85
DIS Veteran

Hey everybody!

I'm sooo in the holiday spirit already! Am very excited for the Target July Toy Clearance, can't wait til the 26th! Also excited for QVC's Christmas in July on the 25th. Those two events always officially kick off my holidays.

So far all I have picked up is the Belle animators doll and a book for my DD who will be two next week. Once her birthday is over I will be shopping full force for Christmas. I have also ordered a couple of Shutterfly books for the grandparents using free codes.
October 2011- Pop Adoption Celebration Trip
December 2013- Pop Holiday Palooza

Me DH DD3 Pommie Weenie

moonpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #82
scnrc00
Mouseketeer

I have been thinking about Christmas for a couple weeks now. I normally start buying right after Christmas for the next year but this year started out a little rough. Things have finally gotten back to normal around here so I started trying to figure out what to get my girls. Plus my youngest daughter has a Bday the first week of December and she will be 9. I actually bought my first gift today thanks to craigslist. My youngest is into American Girl and last year we built her a custom dollhouse which is a little over 4 feet tall and 8 ft long. But she has always wanted Kits treehouse which of course is discontinued and has been for some time now. And I refuse to pay $400 on ebay so I was excited when I found one today locally for $200 brand new with some extras. It is already put away for Christmas morning. Now to think about the other girls.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #83
mannasn
Punk rock mama
Thinks Toad Sweat on ice cream is to die for!

I've been sort of thinking about Christmas... got a PIN for free dining 12/10-12/13 so we were discussing with the kids doing a Disney trip(early December) instead of gifts this year (we haven't been since 2006). I feel like my kids are old enough to help make the decision - 10 and 14. The 10 year old is all for it, the 14 year old is just "blah." But I think he's just at that age that he's kind of "blah" about everything! lol

Still haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning towards the trip and just doing stockings at home for Christmas day (they'll still get gifts and/or cash from grandparents anyway)
mannasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #84
michelleh1
Mouseketeer

I've been thinking about Christmas too! I'm already finished with our sibling gifts. I just do something small and inexpensive - I got nativity figurines on clearance at Kohl's right after Christmas for my siblings, and our favorite card game for dh's siblings. I do photo calendars for our parents later in the year, so I really only have our kids left (dh and I really don't buy for each other). And I'm really struggling with what to do. We are taking a surprise trip to DLR the last week of November, and I'm wanting it to be our Christmas, but I'm struggling because Christmas will still be 3 weeks after we get home. My kids rooms are already bulging with stuff that they need to get rid of, but won't. I really don't want to buy them more gifts to add to the stuff piles. (They'll have more stuff after the trip anyway because of the souvenir money.) I'm thinking of getting my girls mp3 players for their birthdays this year so they will have them for the drive. I'm excited because they are small and won't take up much space. I know my ds would enjoy more wii games for Christmas, but I really struggle with the girls. My youngest two want everything they see on tv - pillow pets, happy nappers, those flip-up slippers. I'm trying to think of a membership somewhere that we'd all enjoy, but with ages 5 to 14 it's hard to find something that will keep them all happy. We usually don't spend a lot and we try to keep Christmas simple. I'd love any ideas or even some validation that our trip could be our main Christmas gift this year (I'll still do stockings). They do have grandparents and generally get $10 or a small gift from each of them.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #85
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh1 View Post
We usually don't spend a lot and we try to keep Christmas simple. I'd love any ideas or even some validation that our trip could be our main Christmas gift this year (I'll still do stockings).
Of course your trip can be the main gift. Christmas isn't about gifts, even though they are nice. You have no reason to feel guilty. When I was a kid I would have loved a trip to Disney and a stocking full of goodies for Christmas! You could even sneak a few souvenirs home from Disney for those stockings.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #86
michelleh1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
Of course your trip can be the main gift. Christmas isn't about gifts, even though they are nice. You have no reason to feel guilty. When I was a kid I would have loved a trip to Disney and a stocking full of goodies for Christmas! You could even sneak a few souvenirs home from Disney for those stockings.
Thank you! I do believe that Christmas isn't about the gifts, and that is why we keep it simple as we are trying to teach our children that. I also would have loved a trip as a gift as a child - we never went to Disney.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #87
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

Saw something like these today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hotwater bottle in a sack,,so I bought three of them --on sale at
Giant tiger $3.00 each. I got three royal blue,velvet types.
I picked up 3 small bottles of spiced rum, $12.45 each.
3 small spice jars of nutmeg-dollar store $1.00 each
3 small spice jars cinnamon-dollar store $1.00 each

Here is the tag I will attach to them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by bababear_50; 06-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #88
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh1 View Post
I've been thinking about Christmas too! I'm already finished with our sibling gifts. I just do something small and inexpensive - I got nativity figurines on clearance at Kohl's right after Christmas for my siblings, and our favorite card game for dh's siblings. I do photo calendars for our parents later in the year, so I really only have our kids left (dh and I really don't buy for each other). And I'm really struggling with what to do. We are taking a surprise trip to DLR the last week of November, and I'm wanting it to be our Christmas, but I'm struggling because Christmas will still be 3 weeks after we get home. My kids rooms are already bulging with stuff that they need to get rid of, but won't. I really don't want to buy them more gifts to add to the stuff piles. (They'll have more stuff after the trip anyway because of the souvenir money.) I'm thinking of getting my girls mp3 players for their birthdays this year so they will have them for the drive. I'm excited because they are small and won't take up much space. I know my ds would enjoy more wii games for Christmas, but I really struggle with the girls. My youngest two want everything they see on tv - pillow pets, happy nappers, those flip-up slippers. I'm trying to think of a membership somewhere that we'd all enjoy, but with ages 5 to 14 it's hard to find something that will keep them all happy. We usually don't spend a lot and we try to keep Christmas simple. I'd love any ideas or even some validation that our trip could be our main Christmas gift this year (I'll still do stockings). They do have grandparents and generally get $10 or a small gift from each of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post

I am so happy that I am not alone.
I have a 8 year old grand daughter and I am thinking of taking her to Disney next March (Spring Break). This would have to be my Christmas gift to her and not much else. The air fare from here alone is $500.00 to $700.00. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if a 8 year old would understand all of this?. Is three months too long time for a 8 year old to wait for a gift? Hope that makes sense.

Hugs Mel

Last edited by bababear_50; 06-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #89
michelleh1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post
Is three months too long time for a 8 year old to wait for a gift?
Only if she lives nearby! And is constantly asking if it's time to go yet. LOL. I think that most 8 year olds would be able to understand and wait (but maybe not patiently).

I think you could do something fun with it for Christmas since you are going after. If you're giving her some souvenir money then you could get her a gift card or Disney dollars or just make a certificate for some spending money. If you are just doing the trip, then you could make her a certificate for a special photo with ____ (fill in her favorite character). It'd also be fun to make a fake airline ticket or some type of travel itinerary that shows she is going to Disney. Or you could make a countdown calendar or chain for her so she can count down the days. However you want to do it, she can have something to open on Christmas and can anticipate the upcoming trip.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you do DISigns, I'm sure you'll think of something super creative for telling her!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #90
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post
I am so happy that I am not alone.
I have a 8 year old grand daughter and I am thinking of taking her to Disney next March (Spring Break). This would have to be my Christmas gift to her and not much else. The air fare from here alone is $500.00 to $700.00. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if a 8 year old would understand all of this?. Is three months too long time for a 8 year old to wait for a gift? Hope that makes sense.

Hugs Mel
My dd will be 8 in Jan, and I think it depends on the kid. Maybe if you got her some small things to bring on the trip, or her own suitcase if she doesn't have one ... that might get her excited.

My parents anniversary is right after Christmas, and I'm planning on sending them to the Grand Floridian for two nights. I might (depending on how many more times our car plans on breaking down this year ... ) plan out a nice dinner and something else for them to do there. However, I've told them that all of their gifts this year are going to be put off until their anniversary .... don't you know my dad complained at Father's Day that I hadn't gotten him anything. I hope your daughter is more understanding than my dad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: