Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #46
lillybug
Mouseketeer

My 10 year old son and I are really enjoying your report!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Thanks for posting the pics of Mater's. I was curious about this ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
UPDATE!

Then we were about to head back to Worldmark Anaheim to take a nap (I was SO tired!), but on our way out we stopped by Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and at that point it only had a 40 min wait, so we decided to just jump in. The line moves pretty slowly, but you get to watch the ride in line. Here are some pics of the queue. If the line stretches out to the entrance, it's 40 min...anything out of the entrance is going to be longer.

The "junk" in the line is really good theming.

All of the line is open air, but the trees in the beginning and this little shack provide some shade.

As for the ride, it was fun but I didn't think it was anything special. I do love the music and the songs that Larry the Cable Guy sings as Mater. I think it's my least favorite of the 3 Carsland rides, but it still has its moments. The whipping motion is fun if you like the person that you're riding with!

I got lots of pics of random people on the ride!

On a side note, these Luigi's hats are hilarious and very popular!

Then we really did want to leave for a little rest, but I wanted to walk down CL again. We walked down the road and took the path from CL to A Bug's Land and over to ToT. I wanted to take the Red Car Trolley from back there to the entrance.

We waited for 20-30 minutes (even saw the Trolley go by us with the News Boys)...and THEN they told us that the Trolley rides would be temporarily suspended for the parade.

This was slightly upsetting. They should have warned us and everyone else who was waiting that it was almost parade time and so the RCT would be stopping for a bit. I know what time the parade is, but I wasn't thinking at the time. I think it's just courtesy to inform people before they get in line that it's not like the trolley will just show up and you can board.

So then we walked to the entrance. We stopped by Guest Relations and explained the situation. The lady kept saying that it was our fault for not knowing the parade route and knowing the parade time. I mean, I'm a Disney fanatic and I was frustrated...I can't imagine how a regular guest would respond. I don't think it's intuitive for regular guests to know that the trolley stops 20 min prior to parade time, especially when no Trolley CM says so until they actually close the ride.

Rant over. The lady at Guest Relations gave us 2 attraction readmit passes (TSMM and Indy because they couldn't be used for CL) to make up for our wasted time. Can't complain about that. But overall the situation could have been handled differently. I give them grace for it being the first day. Hopefully they've figured out little things like this.

So we left for a quick break and later we returned to the parks...

Next up is Flo's and nighttime Carsland pics!!!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #48
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Wow! Great pics of Flo's and of Carsland at night!!!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #49
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommy403 View Post
Best. Trip. Report. EVER.

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Glad you got to ride RSR again, and that the wait was only an hour. Thank goodness for those fastpasses. It must have been a different experience to ride at night time. Your food does sound yummy. Glad you enjoyed the nap. The neon does look nice. I am used to seeing neon at night but am still very excited for the first time we get to see that.
You know lines are crazy when you're glad to only have waited an hour with a FP! RSR is certainly a different attraction at night. But not just on the outdoor racing part. I'm fully convinced that I can see more details in the dark rides if I ride them at night. I've heard it that it's cause your eyes get adjusted to darkness once the sun goes down...not sure how scientific that is (science + DLR29 = ) but it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
People used to, not sure if they still do. But you could also walk up at the crack of dawn and still get a decent spot. But we just sat up in the morning and watched it in our sleeping bags! But nutty people drive up and down the street all night and it is so noisy. Some throw tortillas like frisbees, some have mega phones and try to tell everyone that Jesus is coming (or that they are Jesus), and lots of trucks came by doing very weird puppet shows out of the back of their pick ups. It was a long and strange night back in 1996 .

I am so glad you got to see it at night and ride RSR again- that is awesome! Great pictures
That sounds like quite the experience! Unfortunately for us there weren't any crazies in the esplanade. Unless you count all of us Disney fanatics as crazies which may or may not be accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disluvney View Post
Amazing trip report! Thank you so much for sharing...now that I have my Disney fix for the morning...I can get to work. Can't wait to experience Carsland and the new Matterhorn when we make our trip in October!

Loved your "dole whip" hair comment about Ariel. That made my day!

Source: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6218/6...fae6cc8865.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillybug View Post
My 10 year old son and I are really enjoying your report!
Awesome! Hope it's getting you both really excited for your trip in a few months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Thanks for posting the pics of Mater's. I was curious about this ride!
Yeah, it's an interesting ride. It's really similar to Francis' Ladybug Boogie in A Bug's Land, but the whipping makes it a little more unique. Although I wasn't the hugest fan, I think it's still worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Wow! Great pics of Flo's and of Carsland at night!!!
Thanks! The land really has totally different vibe at night. Everyone loves DL at night, but between the amazing neon and mountain lighting at Carsland, the detailed popcorn lights and lighting package on Mickey's Fun Wheel, and the Mad T Party in Hollywoodland, DCA really has some pretty cool places to go when the sun goes down. Even the new BVS lights help create this cool late-night street atmosphere.
Bouncy!

Last edited by DLR29; 06-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #50
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

UPDATE!

Both my mom and I slept through our alarms the next morning. We had wanted to be at the gates of DCA at 7:30AM to try and get into Carsland ASAP. My mom also had to buy a blockout ticket, so we weren't sure how the lines at the ticket booths would be.

Since I have a Premier pass, and I get free parking, instead of walking to the parks, we drove across the street to the Toy Story parking lot and parked there to take the buses over. Fortunately, we were also able to buy my mom's blockout ticket at the mini ticket booth that they have set up in that lot!

We were really only about 15 min behind our originally planned schedule, so we arrived around 7:45AM to the gates of DCA already open. We immediately entered and went down to Carsland. The FP line looked incredibly long, so we skipped it and just went right in. I asked a CM and they said that they had let people in at 7:30 that morning, so we were 15 min behind the crowds. At the end of the street, the line for RSR was again backed up into the main road...but that's because it hadn't opened yet. They were still letting people line up in the stand-by line, but the FP/SR line was not being let in through the line yet.

So we hopped on Luigi's since we hadn't ridden it the day before.

We only waited about 15 min, but the queue here is tricky. There's actually quite a bit of line squeezed into the indoor part, so even if the line isn't pouring out into the main route, it still might weave a ton inside. Be careful. Fortunately, if you are unlucky enough to wait a lot inside, it's very nicely themed!

The line moves very slowly so you have plenty of time to take lots of pics!

Race car topiary

Still don't really get the beach ball thing.

People on the ride actually looking like they're having fun!

Finally our time to ride!

Yes, in fact, we're getting attacked by 2 tires and 2 giant beach balls

One last on-ride view

Review: After reading reviews and watching the ride go, I wasn't expecting much. It was surprisingly fun. Granted I didn't wait for an hour for it, which probably helped, but it's not a bad ride. They had CMs and signs galore telling you how to move around. "Lean to one side, but don't lean too much!" I didn't find it difficult to maneuver or gain some good speed (unless you happen to get stuck in a corner). I'm sure there's a learning curve here and the more times I ride, the better it'll be too...problem with that is the 2 hour wait throughout most of the day.

They also had lots of warnings not to actually step on the outside ring of the tire when you're getting in and out of your tire. It's actually not solid, more like an airbed that's 1/2 inflated. I'm sure there will be people who disregard this, which could be a safety hazard if they think that it's ok to step there and it caves in on them.

And again I don't get the beach balls. Honestly I think they're cheap and very un-Disney (although the original Flying Saucers had beach balls too). You can't really grab them while on the ride, so the only way you can throw one is if you get one on your way into your tire. It also slows down things because during the loading/unloading process each time there's gonna be some people who throw those things around while entering or exiting.

Overall I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, which is always a good thing. I would recommend the ride to anyone as long as they don't wait too long for it. Then I could see it being a disappointment.

Next update: On-ride RSR pics!
Bouncy!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #51
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

That ride looks like a lot of fun to me, but I agree that I would not want to wait 1+ hours.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #52
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

I have a feeling, i won't be super thrilled about Luigi's... but my kids will probably love it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #53
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Subbing we get there on Sun and we can't wait.
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 17 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #54
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
That ride looks like a lot of fun to me, but I agree that I would not want to wait 1+ hours.
It's also not just like a constantly moving 1 hour line...the SUPER low capacity (I've heard lower than Dumbo ) makes the line move so slowly! So you could be so very close to the loading area but still it would take forever for it to be your turn. Yeah, I'm pretty much sticking to only riding this in the early morning.

Quote:
I have a feeling, i won't be super thrilled about Luigi's... but my kids will probably love it.
Who knows, you may be surprised. I actually think kids might have a harder time steering because they don't weigh as much and their leaning wouldn't have as much impact. Even still, they'll have a blast floating on the air, just make sure you get there early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
Subbing we get there on Sun and we can't wait.
Ahh! So soon! I'll be waiting for your reviews and reports when you return too!
Bouncy!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #55
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

UPDATE!

After Luigis we wanted to ride RSR one last time but it was having technical difficulties again (surprise, surprise). They were still letting people line up in the stand-by and by the looks it was already looking 2-3 hours and the ride wasn't even open yet!

So we decided to do Single Rider, which hadn't been let in to the regular line yet so it was spilling out to the Route. Since we had gotten up so early and rushed in, we had no time to stop at the new Starbucks. Instead, we grabbed some churro bites and a coffee from one of the Cozy Cones. 1st thing in the morning ----> 0 wait for churro bites! The Mexican breakfast stuff looked interesting also, but we wanted sugar. The churro bites were yummy and the cinammon-chocolate sauce was flavorful, but probably would have been better if it had been warm. Oh well.

After we finished our nutritious breakfast the ride finally opened up, and the SR line started filling in the line. We went right by Stanley's statue.

This was the SR line behind us, and it went all the way back to the cones.

Some shots from in line

Wonder what time those people got to the park!

We boarded pretty quickly. Overall I think we only waited about 60 min in the SR line, including the beginning when the ride was down. By chance, my mom and I were placed in the same car. This was a nice surprise and we definitely didn't expect it coming from the SR line. She rode in the front because she wanted to take a video on her camera. I rode in the back.

The ride starts off very calmly, going around the beautiful rockwork and trees.

It was much better weather-wise this morning!

You pass by the majestic waterfall. It is so impressive in person!

We got Ramone's again...too bad my mom didn't experience Luigi's, which I thought was a little better.

The beginning of the race portion!

Who's gonna win?

Coming around the final turn

I think we won. I don't remember. It was definitely another great ride. I'm glad to have ridden it 3 times during those 2 days. The exit has some really great views of the ride!

We said good-bye to Carsland and decided to hop. Next update: More Buena Vista Street pics and some DL ones too!
Bouncy!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #56
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

Stanley's statue looks so cute, and just like the movie!

Is there anything inside the courthouse?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #57
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I'm really excited to see Stanley's Statue, more so then the new Walt one

Thanks for the pics. I think I'd really enjoy luigi's but I love bumper cars, and throwing beach balls at people while riding bumper cars just sounds like more fun!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #58
Monica D
Ready to plan my next cruise!

Great trip report!!

Dh Me
Ds (16) Dd (14)
Monica D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #59
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Stanley's statue looks so cute, and just like the movie!

Is there anything inside the courthouse?
Everything looks just like the movie! Unfortunately you can't go inside the courthouse. It would have been cool if they had set up a little exhibit with Doc's piston cups or other fun things from the movie, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
I'm really excited to see Stanley's Statue, more so then the new Walt one

Thanks for the pics. I think I'd really enjoy luigi's but I love bumper cars, and throwing beach balls at people while riding bumper cars just sounds like more fun!!
Both statues are fantastic! Make sure you grab that beach ball before you hop in your tire because it's hard to get one once you start going. In line my mom asked me if I wanted to get a beach ball. I said yes because I wanted to "experience the full attraction"...so what happens when we start to board? I totally forgot about those stupid beach balls until we were already strapped in! Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica D View Post
Great trip report!!
Thanks! Next update is coming up now!
Bouncy!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #60
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

----