Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

I love your trip report!

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
Great report and photos!

23 more days for me.
22 now! It'll come soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4riley View Post
I can't wait to go!!!
My boys are huge Cars fans and it will be their first trip to Disneyland.... they will be beside themselves for sure!
They are going to love it! (i mean you will too) As much as I loved CL, it would be even cooler to see it with younger kids who are really into Cars. I really want to show it to my younger cousins who are OBSESSED with "the cars movie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by limace View Post
Great report! And I love the musicians on the Matterhorn.
I was just walking around by the bathrooms by Alice and I heard some weird random horn noise. I had no idea what it was or where it was coming from until like 20 min later when I looked up and saw the musicians playing up there! I was so confused because the noise was coming from the parade speakers and I was like, 'This doesn't sound like Soundsational??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Thanks for your review! I'm glad you were one of the first for the new opening!! We were at CL today and RSR was 210 minutes for standby. Yikes! We'll wait for shorter lines before we try it! I could see the tape on the ground that showed the queues that went out to the wharf area - that is crazy long lines!

I agree with your observation that the park has a completely different feel to it. I miss the old entrance but the new one is not bad.

Thanks again for all the photos and for sharing your experience!
Did you check out the SR line? When I was there the SR line was about 45-60 min. I mean, still not ideal but way shorter than 210!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDadude View Post
Awesome report... thanks for taking the time to do this. We are there in one week from today. Cannot wait. Well guess I have to, not much choice there.
I know that feeling. Me and my friend kept texting each other at different milestones a few weeks ago..."2 weeks until CL!", "10 days!!", "1 week!", "TOMORROW!" Hard to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma81 View Post
Fantastic! Lucky you and now lucky us! Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you're enjoying and I'm definitely very happy I could share this experience with all of you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
I love your trip report!
Thank you!!!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

UPDATE!!!

So we got off Matterhorn and since my mom had just gotten there, we hopped back to DCA so she could finally see Carsland! We took the Omnibus to save our feet a little walking.

I know I'm a creeper but I caught a great pic of Minnie and a little kid

We got back into DCA and BVS was still pretty crowded but nothing like the morning. Hey and we're starting to see a little blue sky finally.

And then we got back to Carsland!

We just walked around because the lines were way too long to ride anything, but my mom was loving the new area. We stopped to watch Luigi's, but the path from CL to A Bug's Land was wall to wall people. We wanted to go over to Paradise Pier via the road from Carsland, but since it was roped off to use it for extended RSR line, we had to walk all the way back down the street.

We passed the new Ghiradelli ice cream place and it looks great! There was a line out the door. I'm sure I'll try it on a future trip. Growing up in NorCal, I've been to the Ghiradelli place in SF multiple times, and the menu looked pretty much identical (but still very yummy!)

I forgot to mention this earlier, but when we got our RSR FP the machine also spat out a "Surprise FP" for Screamin. Most likely a way to get people out of the CL area and distribute crowds. The surprise FP was for up to 6 people. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Sorry. Well the 3 of us went to go use it and we rode Screamin with like a 10 min wait.

I love this pic I took while on Screamin!

Then our on-ride pic. Me and my friend in the back with my mom and a SR in the front. For the record, my friend is doing the "Fight on" sign but the random single rider in the front may just be doing the peace sign.

We got off Screamin and went to go wait out the normal long TSMM line. Like a normal busy day TSMM's line was a solid 50 min, so we grabbed some popcorn and ice cream and hopped in line!

While in line we met up with Flynn_Rider from the DIS. It was fun meeting him and sharing our Carsland/camping out stories. He said he also had lunch at Carthay with Mary Jo. I think this was the first time that I've met someone from the DIS? Anyway, he was enjoying his solo weekend trip and it made for a nice round 4 people to ride TSMM.

That's it for now. Next update will have Mater's Junkyard Jamboree review!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Great trip report! Thanks for the great pics and for getting it up so soon!!!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Great trip report! Thanks for the great pics and for getting it up so soon!!!
Thanks! Also when you're stuck working on campus all day with not very much to do, what better thing to do to kill time other than relive the awesomeness of this past weekend?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

UPDATE!

After our TSMM ride, Flynn_Rider was going back to his hotel and my friend had to head out to one of her friend's birthday parties. So it was just me and my mom for the rest of the trip.

We went over to Ariel's Undersea Adventure because we know that it never has a long line. The sign advertised a 20 min line...it was about 10. Also this was my first time on the ride since they updated Ariel's "Dole whip" hair. She looks much better!

Then we were about to head back to Worldmark Anaheim to take a nap (I was SO tired!), but on our way out we stopped by Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and at that point it only had a 40 min wait, so we decided to just jump in. The line moves pretty slowly, but you get to watch the ride in line. Here are some pics of the queue. If the line stretches out to the entrance, it's 40 min...anything out of the entrance is going to be longer.

The "junk" in the line is really good theming.

All of the line is open air, but the trees in the beginning and this little shack provide some shade.

As for the ride, it was fun but I didn't think it was anything special. I do love the music and the songs that Larry the Cable Guy sings as Mater. I think it's my least favorite of the 3 Carsland rides, but it still has its moments. The whipping motion is fun if you like the person that you're riding with!

I got lots of pics of random people on the ride!

On a side note, these Luigi's hats are hilarious and very popular!

Then we really did want to leave for a little rest, but I wanted to walk down CL again. We walked down the road and took the path from CL to A Bug's Land and over to ToT. I wanted to take the Red Car Trolley from back there to the entrance.

We waited for 20-30 minutes (even saw the Trolley go by us with the News Boys)...and THEN they told us that the Trolley rides would be temporarily suspended for the parade.

This was slightly upsetting. They should have warned us and everyone else who was waiting that it was almost parade time and so the RCT would be stopping for a bit. I know what time the parade is, but I wasn't thinking at the time. I think it's just courtesy to inform people before they get in line that it's not like the trolley will just show up and you can board.

So then we walked to the entrance. We stopped by Guest Relations and explained the situation. The lady kept saying that it was our fault for not knowing the parade route and knowing the parade time. I mean, I'm a Disney fanatic and I was frustrated...I can't imagine how a regular guest would respond. I don't think it's intuitive for regular guests to know that the trolley stops 20 min prior to parade time, especially when no Trolley CM says so until they actually close the ride.

Rant over. The lady at Guest Relations gave us 2 attraction readmit passes (TSMM and Indy because they couldn't be used for CL) to make up for our wasted time. Can't complain about that. But overall the situation could have been handled differently. I give them grace for it being the first day. Hopefully they've figured out little things like this.

So we left for a quick break and later we returned to the parks...

Next up is Flo's and nighttime Carsland pics!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
disneydreamer74
DIS Veteran

Hmm...can't blame you for the rant! I would have done the exact same thing. How would one know that the trolley was not running? I wonder if they will decide to post something about parade times.
1997-WDW-POR,1998-WDW -offsite,DLR-Aug. 2008-DLH,DLR-July 2009-Hyatt Regency,DLR-Aug.2010-Holiday inn Anaheim-Bella's 4th bday , July 2011-Hotel Menage/FFI, Jan '12- FFI, July '12- FFI, Hojo's/ PPH-June '13. Next trip...Jan. '14- FFI
My family:me-SuperMom and Travel Agent Extraordinairre, 40 DH, 35 our princess DD 7 yrs old
disneydreamer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Joining in. Glad you enjoyed RSR even with the 2.5 hour wait. That stamped newspaper is an awesome souvenir. I'd frame it. MJJ looks kind of boring to me as well, but I want to ride it anyway. Nice that you got to ride the new Matterhorn with a 5 minute wait. Too bad the changes were not better. You've had an awesome time so far other than the trolley incident. Good thing you got those passes though. Cannot wait to read more about the rest of your day. I know you probably enjoyed that nap after your very long day thus far.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Whew! ITA with your review on the "new and not-so-improved" Matterhorn bobsleds. For me, they felt even more rickety and the new angle of the seat makes you sit much lower and almost on your lower back. I did sit in the last seat, so I wonder if it the other seats feel the same.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #40
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamer74 View Post
Hmm...can't blame you for the rant! I would have done the exact same thing. How would one know that the trolley was not running? I wonder if they will decide to post something about parade times.
I think just a simple sign by the Trolley boarding areas or having the CMs warn guests just getting in line would work wonders. I'll be back and we'll see if anything has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Joining in. Glad you enjoyed RSR even with the 2.5 hour wait. That stamped newspaper is an awesome souvenir. I'd frame it. MJJ looks kind of boring to me as well, but I want to ride it anyway. Nice that you got to ride the new Matterhorn with a 5 minute wait. Too bad the changes were not better. You've had an awesome time so far other than the trolley incident. Good thing you got those passes though. Cannot wait to read more about the rest of your day. I know you probably enjoyed that nap after your very long day thus far.
I love the newspaper! I wonder how long they're going to be printing them too...And believe me, that nap was exactly what I needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
Whew! ITA with your review on the "new and not-so-improved" Matterhorn bobsleds. For me, they felt even more rickety and the new angle of the seat makes you sit much lower and almost on your lower back. I did sit in the last seat, so I wonder if it the other seats feel the same.
Maybe I felt like I had more room because I sat in the front of my bobsled. I'll be interested in seeing how the other seats feel also. I just wish how difficult it would have been to put a little padding there?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

UPDATE!

After the much needed nap we returned to DCA. I really wanted to try Flo's for dinner, so we headed there first. It was later than normal dinnertime (7:30ish when we got there?) so it wasn't too crowded. Still the line stretched out to the main Route 66, but it moved really really quickly. LOVE the neon here!

Some interior shots. It's a little overwhelming with all of the different colored lights!

The vibe is perfectly "classic diner". I really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I wanted to pork loin to try the Coca-Cola BBQ sauce and my mom was going to get the NY Strip loin, but after 2 recommendations by CMs while waiting in line, she ended up getting the citrus turkey. Each meal comes with the option of 2 sides, so between the 2 of us we got:
-Mashed potatoes
-Roasted corn medley
-Peas and Carrots
-Vegetarian baked beans (also with the coke bbq sauce)

My pork loin was delicious! The turkey was yummy too. It came with a spicy cranberry sauce. Both meals came with quite a bit of meat. Overall it's a little pricier than other DLR counter service places but you do get a lot of food. The bread was just meh. My favorite side was the roasted corn medley. I thought it had great flavor and the smokiness of the corn really came through. My mom really liked the potatoes. The beans were tasty and the Coke BBQ sauce used in this and the pork was really tangy!

We also ordered an apple cheddar pie because I was so curious. It really had an interesting balance of the 2 flavors that totally worked. The apple was at the forefront with a subtle cheese flavor in the aftertaste. I can't wait to try the other flavors. I wish I had taken pics of the food. We really enjoyed it and I will definitely be back to try the other options!

Another plus of Flo's is that it has ample seating. We snagged a table outside in the back that has amazing views of the mountain range and RSR. Here are some shots from our seating area.

I love this one

Then we decided to use our RSR FPs that me and my friend had picked up first thing that day (seemed like forever ago). The FP line backed up all the way to the Cozy Cone Motel! Actually it was confusing a lot of people who thought that the FP/SR line was the stand-by because it looked longer, when, in fact, the stand-by started in the normal place but went down the road to the wharf and back.

Thought about getting a Cozy Cone snack for the line but the lines were really long

The neon signs really make this place come alive at night. Just like the movie!

They were triple checking that everyone in our line had a valid FP. Our line slowly inched forward towards the main entrance to the ride. We passed Luigi's, which still had a 2 hour line.

And Ramone's

The courthouse

It took us exactly an hour to get through the FP line. Better than the 2.5 hours I waited earlier, right? The ride was really cool at night! The outdoor part around the lit up mountains really feels a lot different than in the daylight. It was my mom's first ride because she had gotten there after me and my friend had ridden earlier, and she gave it 2 thumbs up as well! I'll leave you with a picture of the impressive mountain range in all its nighttime wonder.

We ended our day with a ride on TSMM with those readmit passes that we got earlier. We chose not to use the ones we got for Indy because we were exhausted. We went back to Worldmark and crashed.

Next update: Luigi's review!

Last edited by DLR29; 06-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

Best. Trip. Report. EVER.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #43
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Glad you got to ride RSR again, and that the wait was only an hour. Thank goodness for those fastpasses. It must have been a different experience to ride at night time. Your food does sound yummy. Glad you enjoyed the nap. The neon does look nice. I am used to seeing neon at night but am still very excited for the first time we get to see that.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #44
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
I've been in Southern California for multiple New Years' but have never actually been to the Rose Parade. Is it something that you have to camp overnight for? I'm sure there are a lot of similarities...like making friends with random strangers. Glad you're enjoying this.
People used to, not sure if they still do. But you could also walk up at the crack of dawn and still get a decent spot. But we just sat up in the morning and watched it in our sleeping bags! But nutty people drive up and down the street all night and it is so noisy. Some throw tortillas like frisbees, some have mega phones and try to tell everyone that Jesus is coming (or that they are Jesus), and lots of trucks came by doing very weird puppet shows out of the back of their pick ups. It was a long and strange night back in 1996 .

I am so glad you got to see it at night and ride RSR again- that is awesome! Great pictures

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #45
Disluvney
Earning My Ears

Amazing trip report! Thank you so much for sharing...now that I have my Disney fix for the morning...I can get to work. Can't wait to experience Carsland and the new Matterhorn when we make our trip in October!

Loved your "dole whip" hair comment about Ariel. That made my day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: