Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Another "rent before you buy" advisor! We moved from Ohio to Tampa, FL with our 5 week old infant & rented a house for 2 years before we bought. Now, we moved during the tail end of the housing boom in 2007, so not buying until 2009 saved us a ton of money. I wouldn't recommend renting for 2 years in this down market...

We rented a Penske truck instead of a Uhaul. The hospital picked up $1500 of our moving expenses which covered the truck & hotel nights on the way down.

Greatest decision of our lives (moving down here). Literally couldn't be happier!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Beka
Goes to 11

We just moved to Orlando in may. I have many answers but it's hard to type on an iPhone, so after DH brings home the laptop, I'll be happy to respond. Good luck on the move!

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
floaton
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive

Thank you Beka and Silverfox, I appreciate the replies.

I can't wait to read your advise Beka, thank you!!!
floaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
camsdad
Earning My Ears

DW and I want to make the move from Maryland next year. So thanks for this post. I am learning too from all of these insightful replies. Can't wait to hear how your journey ends. BTW, DW is reading a blog about a family who recently made this move. I think it's called The Relocated Tourist, or something similar. You might benefit from reading it as well.
camsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
disprincessatheart
I was a Disney Bride 4.29.08

While I have no insight on a move to Florida, I have way too much experience with interviews! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you hear something back soon. At this point I've interviewed with ten different companies, usually multiple interviews, and only two have ever bothered to let me know I didn't get the job. They all were very positive in the interviews and then nothing the last one had me do four interviews and then they just stopped communicating... I wish you much better luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Just wondering if you have heard anything ... keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
floaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincessatheart View Post
While I have no insight on a move to Florida, I have way too much experience with interviews! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you hear something back soon. At this point I've interviewed with ten different companies, usually multiple interviews, and only two have ever bothered to let me know I didn't get the job. They all were very positive in the interviews and then nothing the last one had me do four interviews and then they just stopped communicating... I wish you much better luck!
Good luck yourself, it seems like the interview process is a bugger for everyone right now. I have applied to this particular position with a recruiter, so I am fortunate enough that they have a professional relationship and will let me know either way for sure.

I did get a bit of news late yesterday, the HR department for the company I applied for had a internal audit. So all there man power got shifted to that task, it pushed back hiring procedures a bit. So, that is the explanation for such a delayed response. I had a feeling something was going on because in the beginning of the application process the desired start date for the new position would be the 2nd week of July. Well as we all know that has come, and will be gone soon.

Anywho, that is what I've got. It's not a lot but it's still positive news. The recruiter has been great. I would highly recommend anyone looking for employment right now to contact a staffing agency. My experience has been quite good.

Thank you one and all for the responses! I am thrilled that this thread is serving as a conduit for others to learn about the process of a cross country moving as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #38
Beka
Goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by floaton View Post
What I am facing now is a rat's nest of questions to try and sort through.

1. My girlfriend and I bought our first house together a year and a half ago, so the first hurdle will be selling the house. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
no helpful advice on that, but good luck! Hope it sells quickly!

3. In regards to a search for a new home in the Orlando area...I want to get started ASAP. First, I'd like to get an idea of some of the better neighborhoods to look in, and if there are any I should specifically avoid. We're looking at anything up to $140K.Ideally, I would like to put myself half way between my job and WDW. I have attached a map to where I would like to start looking.
DH & I live in Meadow Woods. AVOID IT. I freaking hate it here! Nothing is close by, it's a half hour drive to everything... It burns my britches. Lake Nona is really nice, and while it's far out, there's a Y there, and enough shopping. Same for Hunters Creek. Neither place is especailly cheap. I personally want to live in Dr Phillips or Windemere, but again, they're not so cheap. One positive about Lake Nona is that there's a LARGE medical complex being built, so it'll be easy to sell a house, I think, if the need ever arises.

4. Has anyone made a cross-country move? We're considering either PODS or Uhaul. PODS seems easier, but more expensive. I'd like to know if anyone has used them...if their customer service is good, if they take care of your stuff...questions like that. If anyone has experience moving with a UHaul, I'd like to know how that worked out, as well.
Twice. We've moved from KY to CA, CA to TX, TX to SC, SC to FL. U-Haul each time except for SC to FL, where we used a moving company. I hated that experience! The price literally doubled when they came in. Not a fan. I'm not familiar with PODS at all.

5. If we aren't able to find a home to purchase prior to moving, how can we track down a rental property? We have pets, so an apartment might not be an option, unless they accept animals. If we have to rent, a house would best fit our needs.
We had a hard time finding a real estate company that handles rentals in the area we were looking. Check out Avalon Management, they're in the area you're looking.

Thank you so much for reading all the way down to *here*. I look forward to hearing back from the DIS community!
Hope that helps some! DH & I both work in town. I work at a hospital considered on the south end of Orlando, and it still takes me 40 minutes to get to work. DH works close to Universal Studios (he can see their fireworks at night), so that's why I want to live on the other side of town! I hate the commute!

Not sure where you're coming from but the traffic here is insane. And it's not the tourists! The locals drive like maniacs! Having lived in more than 1 tourist area, I can compare, and this is by far the worst, so be prepared.At least 417 (toll road) is decent to drive on.

Good luck with the job! What about your GF? What field is she in?

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
floaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
Hope that helps some! DH & I both work in town. I work at a hospital considered on the south end of Orlando, and it still takes me 40 minutes to get to work. DH works close to Universal Studios (he can see their fireworks at night), so that's why I want to live on the other side of town! I hate the commute!

Not sure where you're coming from but the traffic here is insane. And it's not the tourists! The locals drive like maniacs! Having lived in more than 1 tourist area, I can compare, and this is by far the worst, so be prepared.At least 417 (toll road) is decent to drive on.

Good luck with the job! What about your GF? What field is she in?
Great to hear another good opinion on the Lake Nona/Medical City Area.

I may be coming from Oklahoma City, traffic here is really not to terrible. There are of course frustrating times, now and again. Having I-35,I-40,I-44 all intersect in the same very small area can get a bit hectic.

Thank you for the well wishes. My GF is a graphic designer as well, she is currently working at a career tech in the marketing department.

Besides that my laurels are getting antsy. Still. though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: