Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,531

The only tipped positions at WDW are food servers, valet parkers and bell services. The rest are paid a wage that does not require tips to bring it up to an approved wage.

The CMs who clean the toilets in the theme parks, who clean up after guests in the theme parks, etc, work as hard, and maybe harder than the housekeeping staff. Do you tip them when you see them?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
The only tipped positions at WDW are food servers, valet parkers and bell services. The rest are paid a wage that does not require tips to bring it up to an approved wage.

The CMs who clean the toilets in the theme parks, who clean up after guests in the theme parks, etc, work as hard, and maybe harder than the housekeeping staff. Do you tip them when you see them?
Really?! It's not uncommon to tip housekeeping! It's probably more uncommon not to! Again to each their own.

I really didn't want this to turn controversial. Again as stated in my previous post, this is what just our experience was. I tip housekeeping no matter what hotel I stay in whether it's a "tipped" position or not and we will continue to do so until housekeeping refuses our tips. I do not tip the kind people that clean toilets in the parks because I don't have unlimited funds but I always say thank you if they're cleaning while I'm in the bathroom.
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!

Last edited by PHLtoMCO; 06-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
sPaRkLeSpAz
wow, our house has been scary today
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peanut butter pie!
 
sPaRkLeSpAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 1,546

We always tip Mousekeeping,and we always get some really cool towel animals! On one of our stays, while we tipped, other family members didn't and they didn't get what we did. So it makes me wonder!
__________________
Ruthie
Proud Gleek!
sPaRkLeSpAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklespaz View Post
we always tip mousekeeping,and we always get some really cool towel animals! On one of our stays, while we tipped, other family members didn't and they didn't get what we did. so it makes me wonder!
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge
 
IDoDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,127

We just returned from our stay at BW. Worst mousekeeping we've ever had at WDW. The first 2 days we left $5 tips. On the 2nd day we returned to our room at 3:30 for a break and mousekeeping was in the middle of cleaning the room so we went down to the Boardwalk and had an ice cream. On the 3rd day we returned for our mid-afternoon break and the room had not been touched (around 3:00pm). I didn't leave a tip that day. I called the front desk and told them the room has been getting cleaned rather late. The next day mousekeeping knocked on our door at 8:00am to clean!

So besides the lateness each day, towels were not restocked. She took away 2 towels and never brought us new ones and didn't restock the coffee. We had to call 2 days in a row to get more sent up and I had to swipe a towel off of the cart one of the days so we'd have enough. On the 3rd day we wrote a note to please leave a few packets of coffee, which she did.

The sheets were supposed to be changed on the 4th day, but that night the sheets didn't look fresh to me. So I hid a small teddy graham deep in the sheets that morning and after the room was cleaned, the teddy graham was still there! That was day 5 with no sheets being changed at least on one of the beds. The sheets were still all tucked in so it was probably just easier for the housekeeper to just make the bed quickly and not pull it all apart!

And for the record, we were not messy. Before leaving each day, we picked things up and threw away empty containers and kept things in drawers. Oh, and we didn't get one towel animal, either
__________________
Disney World ~ Offsite, 1972, Disneyland ~ Offsite, 1991 & 1993
Disneyland ~ Paradise Pier Hotel, Oct '02,
Disneyland ~ Disneyland Hotel, Oct '04
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
We just returned from our stay at BW. Worst mousekeeping we've ever had at WDW. The first 2 days we left $5 tips. On the 2nd day we returned to our room at 3:30 for a break and mousekeeping was in the middle of cleaning the room so we went down to the Boardwalk and had an ice cream. On the 3rd day we returned for our mid-afternoon break and the room had not been touched (around 3:00pm). I didn't leave a tip that day. I called the front desk and told them the room has been getting cleaned rather late. The next day mousekeeping knocked on our door at 8:00am to clean!

So besides the lateness each day, towels were not restocked. She took away 2 towels and never brought us new ones and didn't restock the coffee. We had to call 2 days in a row to get more sent up and I had to swipe a towel off of the cart one of the days so we'd have enough. On the 3rd day we wrote a note to please leave a few packets of coffee, which she did.

The sheets were supposed to be changed on the 4th day, but that night the sheets didn't look fresh to me. So I hid a small teddy graham deep in the sheets that morning and after the room was cleaned, the teddy graham was still there! That was day 5 with no sheets being changed at least on one of the beds. The sheets were still all tucked in so it was probably just easier for the housekeeper to just make the bed quickly and not pull it all apart!

And for the record, we were not messy. Before leaving each day, we picked things up and threw away empty containers and kept things in drawers. Oh, and we didn't get one towel animal, either
I'm sorry, that's a bummer to hear about Mousekeeping while you were there. I would be upset too.We experienced the same late in the day cleaning for the first few days we were there. We asked one of the housekeepers if they could come earlier (my dad can't walk too long so around 3:00pm he would come back to the room to chill out around that time). They actually asked us what time we'd prefer. We just said anytime after 10:00am but before 3:00pm and so they did for the remainder of the trip. I hope you're experience is better for your next trip

I forgot to mention in my original post. We had a hair tie laying in the dresser. When we got back from the park Mousekeeping even shaped the hair tie into a Mickey head!
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
tennessee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85

we do not ever tip at a hotel, we have stayed at very nice hotels and dont leave tips there. We get towel animals and late check outs and never left a tip. This is why they get paid more than other jobs at disney or other hotels.I quess if you want to throw $15 down for a tip go ahead, but thats alot for 10 days. Each there own or money to burn.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
we do not ever tip at a hotel, we have stayed at very nice hotels and dont leave tips there. We get towel animals and late check outs and never left a tip. This is why they get paid more than other jobs at disney or other hotels.I quess if you want to throw $15 down for a tip go ahead, but thats alot for 10 days. Each there own or money to burn.
Again, this is what we give. People can choose to give less than what we give or nothing at all. When I travel for work I do $5/day. Disney was more bc there were more of us in a room and like I said, we can be pretty messy at times though we try not to be. It's not that we have money to burn, when we plan for a trip, tipping is part of our budget that gets factored in when we save for the trip. I feel like people that don't tip housekeeping are getting a little defensive on here. No need to justify, each family is different. I don't judge you if you don't tip, so don't judge those that do
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!

Last edited by PHLtoMCO; 06-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)
 
CoachBagFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!
Posts: 2,947

We have always tipped $15 per day and always will. Really mouse keeping doesn't have to do anything when they come to our room. I practically make the beds and wipe everything down. I guess old habits are hard to break even on vacation. My DH and DS are like "what are you doing?" I smile and continue on my merry way. They role their eyes. Oh and if we had 3 towels animals since 2001 that was a lot.

Tipping is a personal preference, if you do you do, if you don't you don't.
__________________
TY mathgeek TY BCV23TY pas130

Last edited by CoachBagFanatic; 06-16-2012 at 01:11 PM.
CoachBagFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
We have always tipped $15 per day and always will. Really mouse keeping doesn't have to do anything when they come to our room. I practically make the beds and wipe everything down. I guess old habits are hard to break even on vacation. My DH and DS are like "what are you doing?" I smile and continue on my merry way. They role their eyes.

Tipping is a personal preference, if you do you do, if you don't you don't.

Wow! How nice of you to do that! I'm sure housekeeping loves when your family comes! We don't intend on being messy, sometimes it just happens when you're coming in for a quick change to go to the pool or if you're in a rush! I usually try to "tidy" up since its not really their job to organize the room and put stuff away.

Happy anniversary and enjoy your split stay trip coming up!!
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
lbv7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
we do not ever tip at a hotel, we have stayed at very nice hotels and dont leave tips there. We get towel animals and late check outs and never left a tip. This is why they get paid more than other jobs at disney or other hotels.I quess if you want to throw $15 down for a tip go ahead, but thats alot for 10 days. Each there own or money to burn.
The starting housekeeping salary at WDW is $ 8.35 / hr, so I don't think there are a lot of millionaire houskeepers working at Disney. Tipping is up to you, but I am sure that if you made $ 8.35 / hr you would appreciate any tips. As to your statement of "they get paid more than other jobs at disney" all I can say is - really?
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 19,025

RESORT TOWEL ANIMALS:

1) They are prepared by the room maid.
2) All maids have the option to be trained in basic animals.
3) Some have been trained to do advanced animals.
4) Tipping or not tipping does not influence maids making animals.
5) Animals cannot be assured by request or order.
6) Whether you get animals is based upon
. . . if the maid has time
. . . if the maid has the energy
. . . if the maid has the initiative
. . . if the maid likes the way you keep the room
. . . if the maid is an employee or temporary staffer
. . . if the maid is working during the correct phase of the moon
7) Expect nothing, and be pleased if they appear.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)
 
CoachBagFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!
Posts: 2,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
Wow! How nice of you to do that! I'm sure housekeeping loves when your family comes! We don't intend on being messy, sometimes it just happens when you're coming in for a quick change to go to the pool or if you're in a rush! I usually try to "tidy" up since its not really their job to organize the room and put stuff away.

Happy anniversary and enjoy your split stay trip coming up!!
Oh Thanks so much. We are all very excited.

My DDad is a Marine so it has been embedded in my brain for 46 years now to be this way. I try to relax on vacation but it never works. I do this stuff while our DS16 is taking a shower. By the time he gets ready, another hour has passed.
__________________
TY mathgeek TY BCV23TY pas130
CoachBagFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Oh Thanks so much. We are all very excited.

My DDad is a Marine so it has been embedded in my brain for 46 years now to be this way. I try to relax on vacation but it never works. I do this stuff while our DS16 is taking a shower. By the time he gets ready, another hour has passed.
Many thanks to your Dad for his service!!

Hopefully you'll find some time to relax this time!!
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
mickeye
DIS Veteran
 
mickeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
thank you! Which part are you in??
You're Welcome. Northeast, Welsh Rd, not far from Montgomery County. My mind, however, is usually in WDW!
__________________
"My Heart and Mind are always in Disney World."
"How High Can A Sycamore Grow? If You Cut It Down, Then You'll Never Know."

mickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.