Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Just off the 5 night Dream!

We are just off our five night Dream yesterday and got home late last night.

We had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect. Here are a few things:

1. Marcellito was our server and he was amazing. Sadly, he's going back to the Wonder I believe is what he said. Mardika was his assistant and he was wonderful too.

2. We did the Couple's Choice and really enjoyed the stone massage that we got from Diego and Crystal. Best massage ever and totally worth the money.

3. We got nearly the same dining rotation (ERAAE) as our four night last year (ERAA). We really like dining in Animator's Palate on the Pirate Night.

4. We bought the CD from our pictures last time and got something like 20 credits worth of pictures. That was $300. We spent $300 the other day and got the CD and all the pictures in our folder. Much better deal.

5. We re-booked a March 4 night while on board and it was $600 less than the one we booked last year. However, we booked the five night while on board in March 2011 and paid nearly double for the extra night. This cruise was not a sell out.

6. I don't think there was quite as much to do on the at sea day this year as last year. We weren't hurting for things to do, but there were so many things that we had to pass on last year because there were conflicts.

7. There also didn't seem to be as many character meet and greet options. Last year it seemed that we ran from one to the other at times. I think we only had conflicts a couple of times. Plus, Chip and Dale were not out enough.

8. We did see some kids in the adult only sections for extended periods of time. It's fine if you want them to check in with you, but when they're there for more than 15 minutes, it's not where they are supposed to be. And, if they're going to come visit you in the adult area, please don't let them run and yell. It's called the "Quiet Cove" and "Serenity Bay" for a reason. I'll probably get flamed for the last part.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
We are just off our five night Dream yesterday and got home late last night.

We had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect. Here are a few things:

1. Marcellito was our server and he was amazing. Sadly, he's going back to the Wonder I believe is what he said. Mardika was his assistant and he was wonderful too.

2. We did the Couple's Choice and really enjoyed the stone massage that we got from Diego and Crystal. Best massage ever and totally worth the money.

3. We got nearly the same dining rotation (ERAAE) as our four night last year (ERAA). We really like dining in Animator's Palate on the Pirate Night.

4. We bought the CD from our pictures last time and got something like 20 credits worth of pictures. That was $300. We spent $300 the other day and got the CD and all the pictures in our folder. Much better deal.

5. We re-booked a March 4 night while on board and it was $600 less than the one we booked last year. However, we booked the five night while on board in March 2011 and paid nearly double for the extra night. This cruise was not a sell out.

6. I don't think there was quite as much to do on the at sea day this year as last year. We weren't hurting for things to do, but there were so many things that we had to pass on last year because there were conflicts.

7. There also didn't seem to be as many character meet and greet options. Last year it seemed that we ran from one to the other at times. I think we only had conflicts a couple of times. Plus, Chip and Dale were not out enough.

8. We did see some kids in the adult only sections for extended periods of time. It's fine if you want them to check in with you, but when they're there for more than 15 minutes, it's not where they are supposed to be. And, if they're going to come visit you in the adult area, please don't let them run and yell. It's called the "Quiet Cove" and "Serenity Bay" for a reason. I'll probably get flamed for the last part.

I wouldn't flame you because you're right. It should remain a quiet and adult only place.

Thanks for your update. We are going on our first ever cruise soon and it is a 5 night Dream cruise.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
EWL
In Pursuit of Enchanted Tiki Birds

Welcome back and thanks for the report!
We'll be boarding a month from today on the same cruise-- glad to hear you had a good trip!

May I ask: what did you think of the food overall? Did you try Palo or Remy?
Any advice on which night is best for trying one of them?

Any other good tips for onboard, Castaway Cay, or things to know?

We've sailed the Magic before, but it's been a few years!
Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL View Post
Welcome back and thanks for the report!
We'll be boarding a month from today on the same cruise-- glad to hear you had a good trip!

May I ask: what did you think of the food overall? Did you try Palo or Remy?
Any advice on which night is best for trying one of them?

Any other good tips for onboard, Castaway Cay, or things to know?

We've sailed the Magic before, but it's been a few years!
Thanks!!
I thought the food was a little better this time than our first cruise in March 2011. However, we missed the semi-formal night and I was fine with that after I saw the menu--I wasn't that impressed. The tomato soup from room service is delicious!!! As are the oatmeal cookies and the turkey, ham and swiss sandwich. You can get Mickey bars from room service.

We have not tried either one. We were going to do Palo but it was the night that we were in Animator's Palate for the "show" with Crush and we weren't willing to miss it.

If you're going to CC, do watch out for the water wild life. We saw three stingrays at Serenity Bay on our second day. We also saw a long "animal" that may or may not have been some sort of shark. We didn't stick around long enough to find out. Do be careful!!!!

Don't wait until the last night to go to Shutters. It was a mad house and it blocked up one side of deck four from 3 PM until they closed. The future cruise desk is on the other side of deck four and it was bad over there as well. Shop early on the at sea day (the only day the shops are open for most of the day).

We didn't go on board intending to re-book, but did after we saw such a good deal for my Spring Break next year (I teach).

Also, we stayed at the MCO Hyatt the night before and it was so easy!!!!!! We got up, finished packing, ate breakfast and went to check in. We were on the first bus to PC and were on the boat by noon at the latest (probably a little before that actually). We will probably do it the same way next year.

Lastly, we went with American last year on our flights and it was so much easier than going with Southwest this year. The problem with Southwest is that you cannot check begs more than four hours before you take off and we were there at 10:30 AM when our flight didn't leave until 3:30 PM. However, we didn't have to pay for bags this time. I guess it's a push, but we're definitely going to weigh the options for next year a little heavier.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Dream. We are curious about Nassau and is it worth getting off the ship? I know opinions vary but would like to hear yours.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

There is never enough Chip 'n Dale for me either

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Dream. We are curious about Nassau and is it worth getting off the ship? I know opinions vary but would like to hear yours.
We have been there twice with DCL and still haven't gotten off the ship. The ship is fairly empty on those days and it's nice to have the pools to yourselves. Another poster on another thread commented how small the pools were on this ship and it's true--they aren't big enough and I don't know what DCL was thinking. Plus, there are other options other than the pools if you stay on board. Also, while we could have afforded them, the excursions to Nassau seem very expensive. One of the people on our cruise meet did tell me that the sea lion experience through the Blue Lagoon was great though, so maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami0220 View Post
There is never enough Chip 'n Dale for me either
We missed only one of their M&Gs--when they were out at the Post Office at CC. Of course there were only out once a day if we were lucky. I really do think that there were more character experiences when we were on the ship March '11.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
jackparts
Mouseketeer

I cruise alot and will not fly American anymore. 5 OF 6 flights to a cruise were delayed, 4 of them only announced when we got tot the airport. We try to fly the day before, still any delay messes up your plans. The latest delay, 5 hours. Bye Bye American.
jackparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackparts View Post
I cruise alot and will not fly American anymore. 5 OF 6 flights to a cruise were delayed, 4 of them only announced when we got tot the airport. We try to fly the day before, still any delay messes up your plans. The latest delay, 5 hours. Bye Bye American.
The only reason why we are considering going back to American is because you can check your luggage from the ship. We had to hold on to it ourselves for another hour once we reached the airport. Plus, Southwest doesn't have flights that head back towards Dallas until either very early in the morning or mid afternoon. Since we're in Dallas, we either go Southwest or American. We're hoping that Virgin will start heading from Dallas to Orlando soon, but we're out of luck on that one right now.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
templed
A legend in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
If you're going to CC, do watch out for the water wild life. We saw three stingrays at Serenity Bay on our second day. We also saw a long "animal" that may or may not have been some sort of shark. We didn't stick around long enough to find out. Do be careful!!!!
Stingray's are generally harmless. I would say that unless you corner a stingray the chances it even get within 5 ft of you are very small (unless they have grown used to humans).

The long fish would more than likely have been a Barracuda.... Worst they might give you a nasty bite if you were harassing it, or possibly wearing something dangly and shiny.

Sounds like a good trip though.
templed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
InsanelyMickey
Mouseketeer

Location: 45 min. from Mickey's house; 90 min. from Disney Dream!

juliebug1997, I completely agree with you about Marcellito and Mardika, they were both great. I was one of your tablemates on this cruise (the one who knows who REALLY won the 80's music challenge! LOL)

DH and I were hoping to request Marcellito on future Dream cruises but I guess the Magic cruisers will be the lucky ones to get him, he seemed very happy to be returning to his home ship, huh?

Not sure about you but I'm having a hard time getting back to reality this time, even spending all day yesterday at work didn't quite do it. I've been searching for possible cruise dates later this year so that's helping a little
InsanelyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanelyMickey View Post
juliebug1997, I completely agree with you about Marcellito and Mardika, they were both great. I was one of your tablemates on this cruise (the one who knows who REALLY won the 80's music challenge! LOL)

DH and I were hoping to request Marcellito on future Dream cruises but I guess the Magic cruisers will be the lucky ones to get him, he seemed very happy to be returning to his home ship, huh?

Not sure about you but I'm having a hard time getting back to reality this time, even spending all day yesterday at work didn't quite do it. I've been searching for possible cruise dates later this year so that's helping a little
There may have been a mild bit of depression on my part yesterday. I watched bad TV and only left the house once to go get lunch. It was really hard yesterday. Today, I at least took a shower and cleaned up.

We had a lot of fun meeting you and your DH on the cruise!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
InsanelyMickey
Mouseketeer

Location: 45 min. from Mickey's house; 90 min. from Disney Dream!

I understand how you felt, I wish I could say it gets easier after more cruises but I'm still having just as much trouble. I do see you have your new countdown ticker so that's the best remedy - looking forward to your next cruise! Did you and DH get stuck in a long line leaving the terminal Wednesday? We should've had another round of juice or something at breakfast because it was the longest line we've ever seen so far. Not good timing on our part this time.

DH and I had fun with you and your DH also! Maybe we'll end up on another cruise together someday. I hope you're feeling a little better today.
InsanelyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Doinitwell
Feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by templed View Post
Stingray's are generally harmless. I would say that unless you corner a stingray the chances it even get within 5 ft of you are very small (unless they have grown used to humans).

The long fish would more than likely have been a Barracuda.... Worst they might give you a nasty bite if you were harassing it, or possibly wearing something dangly and shiny.

Sounds like a good trip though.
We saw a stingray on the family beach on the same cruise. The stingrays around Castaway Cay have hard their barbs "manicured" so they are really harmless. It was really exciting to see one swim by.
Doinitwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't flame you either about the Quiet Cove/Serenity Bay comment, there are specific areas for different groups for a reason We are going on the Dream in August our first CC experience with DCL and our first Quiet Cove really because our first DCL was in Alaska, and we don't have kids. I would be a little sad if there were children screaming and running around in the adult only areas. I am sure not planning on taking a dip in Nemo's Reef lmao!
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: