Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #616
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add a dining plan cost analysis. I am not counting the first couple days that we were OOP or the extras/alcohol that we paid OOP for.

Using the figures here on the Dis, the deluxe dining plan would have cost us $2052.48 if we paid full price. We had bounceback free dining so we only paid the difference between the regular plan and the deluxe plan which was $815.52.

The cost of the food we ate that was included in the dining plan was $2565.70 not including snacks because I didn't keep track of those. So we would have saved even if we did had paid full price. And we did not eat the most expensive items on the menu. And we hardly ate dessert. And we used credits at The Plaza.

So for us, the deluxe plan works. The food is all part of the trip for us. And we like signature restaurants. Would it make sense for the family that doesn't do the signatures or uses some credits at quick service locations? Maybe not. But for us, it works. My only regret is that we were too full between meals to enjoy all the yummy snacks that WDW has to offer!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #617
jabead
DIS Veteran

Another great set of reviews, Vicki! I really enjoyed hearing about your Illuminations cruise, so wanted to be sure and thank you for including that in your report. Also, I'm very much looking forward to the grand finale... your Flying Fish - Chef's Table review. And the best part is that I won't be too sad when your report ends because I know there will be another report coming very soon.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #618
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Wow! You really turned up the pace with the reviews today - you are putting me to shame!!!

I was so glad to see your Chefs de France review for dinner because I have always hesitated to book anything but lunch since I prefer that menu... but you review proved that I have nothing to fear and can expand my horizons a bit.

What a great view with your Illuminations cruise... after experiencing the show that way I would have a hard time going back to standing 4 deep in a crowd to see the show!

I'm looking forward to your FF Chef's table review!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #619
Faline
Mouseketeer

they took the clams oreganatta off the menu?!!

oh nooo!!! When did this happen? This is my favorite thing. First Citrico's takes the gateau of crab off the menu. Now this!!!
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #620
sushi candy
Foodie

I am finally caught , Vicki! Amazing reviews and thank you for the info on the Illuminations cruise. I can't wait for your Flying Fish Chef's table!

The strawberry shortcake from Les Chefs has definitely caught my eye!
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #621
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

So many updates! Everything at Les Chefs looks super delicious right now, and the fireworks cruise sounds awesome.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #622
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wow, I had a lot to catch up on - I am soooooo behind with everyone's reviews

We love Tokyo Dining and you have just made me want to go back - especially for the sake-rita

Thanks so much for the Illuminations Cruise review as this is something I am looking to book for our next trip - it looks wonderful

I've yet to try Chefs so that's on the list for next time
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #623
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Another great set of reviews, Vicki! I really enjoyed hearing about your Illuminations cruise, so wanted to be sure and thank you for including that in your report. Also, I'm very much looking forward to the grand finale... your Flying Fish - Chef's Table review. And the best part is that I won't be too sad when your report ends because I know there will be another report coming very soon.
Thanks, Barb! I am so excited about our November trip! I am usually so sad this time of year going thru serious Disney withdrawals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Wow! You really turned up the pace with the reviews today - you are putting me to shame!!!

I was so glad to see your Chefs de France review for dinner because I have always hesitated to book anything but lunch since I prefer that menu... but you review proved that I have nothing to fear and can expand my horizons a bit.

What a great view with your Illuminations cruise... after experiencing the show that way I would have a hard time going back to standing 4 deep in a crowd to see the show!

I'm looking forward to your FF Chef's table review!
We didn't have the best dinner at Chefs in the past so I was a bit hesitant but I am glad we went. Our meal was pretty good!

Yeah, I am going to have a very hard time watching Illuminations from anywhere other than that boat! It was so nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faline View Post
oh nooo!!! When did this happen? This is my favorite thing. First Citrico's takes the gateau of crab off the menu. Now this!!!
I saw a recent menu and they were replaced by mussels. I am sooo bummed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
I am finally caught , Vicki! Amazing reviews and thank you for the info on the Illuminations cruise. I can't wait for your Flying Fish Chef's table!

The strawberry shortcake from Les Chefs has definitely caught my eye!
Thank you! I will get that last review written up some time this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
So many updates! Everything at Les Chefs looks super delicious right now, and the fireworks cruise sounds awesome.
The cruise was really amazing. I wouldn't rank Chefs anywhere near the signatures but it was a nice meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wow, I had a lot to catch up on - I am soooooo behind with everyone's reviews

We love Tokyo Dining and you have just made me want to go back - especially for the sake-rita

Thanks so much for the Illuminations Cruise review as this is something I am looking to book for our next trip - it looks wonderful

I've yet to try Chefs so that's on the list for next time
Yes, the sake-rita was really tasty! Definitely book the Cruise! It was such a special experience!
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #624
showers2flowers
Mouseketeer

I've only recently discovered trip and dining reports (likely to be my new addiction!), and I have really enjoyed reading yours. I'm planning our family's first WDW trip for January. Our DS is 6 now, so this trip is pretty much guaranteed to be magical for him. But reading this, I'm hoping in about 10 years we are able to have as great an experience with him as a teenager at WDW as you guys had with your DS. I'm looking forward to finding out how the experience changes as my guy grows in the years to come.
showers2flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #625
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

An indulgent pic ... possibly my favorite pic of this trip ... DS being Goofy

To my family that asks ... Why always Disney? This is why! He can be a kid in Disney![/QUOTE]

Having two sons 22 and 20 I love this picture! I miss my sons being kids this would have made my day!
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #626
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by showers2flowers View Post
I've only recently discovered trip and dining reports (likely to be my new addiction!), and I have really enjoyed reading yours. I'm planning our family's first WDW trip for January. Our DS is 6 now, so this trip is pretty much guaranteed to be magical for him. But reading this, I'm hoping in about 10 years we are able to have as great an experience with him as a teenager at WDW as you guys had with your DS. I'm looking forward to finding out how the experience changes as my guy grows in the years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post
Having two sons 22 and 20 I love this picture! I miss my sons being kids this would have made my day!
Wow, both of these posts made me a bit weepy this morning! Thank you both so much.

My son was pretty much hooked at the age of 8 and thankfully still is. He was on the phone frantically hitting re-dial right along with me last night for the AP FLE preview. And certainly not because he cares about the new FL in the least, but he knows it means a lot to me to see it. (Yes, after two hours we finally got our spot!). I am blessed to have Andrew for a son.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #627
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Ok, time to finally finish this review! I don’t think I have ever taken this long.

Our first night Andrew and I went to a Flying Fish Chef’s Table dinner. I was a bit nervous booking this as we are not big seafood eaters. I thought that we would be served whatever the planned meal of the night was and we would have to deal with it. Well, I actually got a call a few days before the meal asking if we had any allergies or just food dislikes. I told the girl that called that we did not eat shrimp or crab. She then asked about raw fish and since it was before we realized we like sushi, I told her no. I was very pleasantly surprised that the meal is at least somewhat tailored to your likes/dislikes.
We got to FF right as they were opening and had to wait a few minutes to be seated. Once we were, we realized that we were the only ones at the Chef’s Table …which is really the counter in front of the kitchen area. How cool!

Our place settings …

Part of the problem with waiting this long to finish up this review is that neither of us can remember the name of our waitress. I feel bad because she was very good. Very attentive, exceptional service. The Chef also came out and introduced himself. That we remember, Trevor. Very young but very personable. Explained the dishes very well and included stories of his growing up and how his likes and dislikes have changed.
We each received a separate menu, mine with the wine pairings and Andrew with special non-alcoholic drink pairings. He was afraid of getting things like Shirley Temples but was very wrong … he ended up really enjoying his drinks.

At first glance, I was thrilled with the menu. We liked just about everything. The meat course was veal which we do not usually eat but I figured we would give it a go. Well, Andrew was upset on principal at the thought of eating the veal. Trevor went over the menu with us and asked if everything looked good. I mentioned the veal and he said no problem at all, they would keep the same setup and just swap for steak. Yay!

On to the food … our first course was the Amuse Bouches: Duck sausage-laced Arancini di Carnacoli, White truffle infused Aioli, tiny greens and aged balsamico drizzle. Mine with Prosecco Jeto Brut; Andrew’s with an apple cider sparkler.

OMG was this good. Andrew has declared it the best bite of food he has ever put in his mouth. The outside was slightly crispy, the inside soft and so flavorful. And the truffle aioli! If I could have gotten a whole container of it I would have eaten it with a spoon.

Next up was the bread with salted butter …

This was really a nice bread. Crusty on the outside, soft in the middle. We didn’t want to fill up on it and yet couldn’t stop picking at it.

Our first course: Pan-roasted Maine Diver Scallop, pineapple tomatillos and Heirloom radishes with a shellfish roe butter emulsion. Mine with Damilano and Andrew’s with Yuzu pomogranite lemonade.

I was so happy to see a scallop on our menu. It is the one seafood that Andrew and I really enjoy. And this one was cooked perfectly. I really enjoyed the tomatillos and radishes, Andrew not so much. I had never had cooked radishes before. Cooking them takes away their spiciness, the flavor became very subtle. And the wine! It was beyond perfect with this dish. Very crisp. I keep meaning to look for it is our local wine shop as it was a really good white wine.

Second course: Oak-grilled local Cape Canaveral Cobia, summer squash, baby eggplant, roasted fennel, vine ripe peppers and yellow tomato coulis. Mine with Crios Malbec, Andrew’s with a (virgin) Blood Orange margarita

This was probably my favorite course. I had never had (or even heard of) cobia before and what a wonderful fish. Nice and light but with a great flavor. And the tomato coulis was so good I wanted to lick the plate. I am not usually a fan of Malbec wine and would not have thought to pair it with a mild white fish but of course it went perfectly. You learn something new everyday!

The intermezzo was a pineapple sorbet with a shot of coconut rum … of course, Andrew’s was without the rum.

I definitely did not need a shot of coconut rum after a glass of champagne and two glasses of wine! I poured a bit and the flavor was amazing. This would be something I want to have at home on a summer evening.

Main Course: Porcini=dusted Marcho Farm’s Steak (was supposed to be veal tenderloin), purple potatoes, chiogga beets, chanterelle and lobster mushrooms with a cassis, port wine and veal reduction sauce. Mine with Cyan Tinta de Toro; Andrew’s with black currant soda

This was a big, bold red that I did not enjoy on it’s own. But again, with the steak it was good. This was my least favorite of the wines, but still good with the meal. The steak was perfect. Tender, flavorful, melt in your mouth good. And I love chiogga beets so I was really happy to see them on the menu. Andrew, again, not so much which was good for me because I got to eat his!

The dessert course: Mascarpone-stuffed sinful chocolate torta, aged cognac-scented bing cherry compote. Mine with Framboise; Andrew’s with a Chocolate Elvis

Oddly enough, this was our least favorite course. I don’t really like framboise but did have a sip with the cake to verify that I still don’t like it. The chocolate Elvis was amazing … chocolate, banana and peanut butter. Really, really good and a dessert in itself. The chocolate cake was good but very rich. Neither of us cared for the cherries. But at this point we were both stuffed and I admit, I was definitely buzzed. The dinner took about an hour and a half. That was a lot of alcohol for me in a short amount of time! I am very glad we were taking a cab.

So there it is … my favorite meal of all time not only in Walt Disney World, but probably ever. I loved feeling special. I loved the flavor combinations and trying new things. I really cannot wait until we can do it again. I am really hoping next August with Andrew and on future trips with Jay. It was very pricey but worth every penny and more.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #628
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for reading & commenting. I really love reliving our trips thru these reviews. Usually I am in a huge Disney funk this time of year thinking that our next trip is almost a year away. I am so excited that Andrew and I will be back in less than three weeks. I know it is going to be crazy crowded at food & wine and that we could end up bugging out after only a few tastes but that will be Ok. We are going to MVMCP for the first time and I was able to get the AP Fantasyland Preview passes. We will see the Osborne Lights and Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade (which we missed on our Christmas trip in '09). And, of course, we will eat. I have already changed our reservations from what I have probably posted here and in the Live thread. I am not going to post our plans and just let you all be surprised! I really cannot wait. What a special treat. How ironic that it is only possible because I was fired from my job!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #629
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Thanks for sharing your Flying Fish Chef's Table review....I've had my eye on it but haven't seen many reviews. It sounds great.

Enjoy your next trip!

Jill in CO
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #630
jabead
DIS Veteran

Fantastic Flying Fish Finale, Vicki! How did you like all those F's? But actually your Dining Report definitely deserves an A+ for a job well done!

Can't wait for your November trip to start! And very fun that you are keeping your dining plans a surprise this time.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: