Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #406
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
No, not real spicy at all. I am sure lovers of true Indian food probably think it is too tame.
Yep, that's me.

Very interesting that our opinions of Boma and Sanaa were completely flipped this time. Your Boma food certainly looks "just okay", but most of it seems be the same stuff that's available at other Disney buffets. I loved it because there were so many unique dishes - roasted tomatoes, turkey bobotie, pap and chakalaka, asparagus, carved beef, African fruit salad, etc. And it might have been because we'd just finished traveling and were super hungry, but I loved their french toast bread pudding with bananas foster sauce.

BTW, those don't look like the goat cheese scrambled eggs. The ones with goat cheese are full of green leaves and specks (from spinach or chives, I think). Here's a pic of them. I actually liked the goat cheese eggs more than Boma's plain scrambled eggs!

As for Sanaa, I'm glad you really enjoyed it this time. It's probably never going to be a favorite of mine, but I'm happy to see that so many people love it.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #407
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Who knows what this week will bring so I am going to post one more review ... Jiko dinner. Originally we were going to snack around DTD after spending the afternoon at the Pool. Two problems with that plan ... DH forgot his swimsuit and DS and I didn't really feel like swimming. So after our wonderful lunch at Sanaa, we walked around AoA and took a few pictures, then headed to DTD. We parked down by Cirque and were up by the Christmas Store when the storm rolled in. I jumped on the bus and sent them back to get the car! Well, the busses were all called to Typhoon Lagoon because of the storm so it took about 90 minutes for me to get back to AKL! So I texted DH and told him to try to make a later ADR at Jiko for dinner. No way I was going back out!

First up was the bread -

I admit, I am not a fan of the tandoori butter and I like a crusty vs soft bread so this doesn't really appeal to me. But DH and DS loved it.

We decided to share the African Spiced Fire-Roasted Chicken - with four cheeses, bacon, arugula, peppadews and zough.

This was quite tasty. I wanted to try the braised oxtail flatbread on the menu but this one had bacon and I was outvoted! Turned out to be fine because this was really good. Very cheesy, nice flavor from the spices. We all enjoyed it.

For entrees, DH had Grilled Swordfish Roasted Vegetables, Stuffed Squash Blossom, and Romesco Sauce with Toasted Pine Nuts

Again, DS and I were not yet adventurous so we did not try the swordfish. I did enjoy the couple of bites of the squash blossom with the romesco sauce. It was very crispy, not at all greasy. DH enjoyed this meal.

DS had the West African Braised Beef Short Rib Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Vegetables,and spicy Tomato Demi-glace

He only allowed me one bite of the meat and it was amazing! Tender, flavorful. Really great. Ultimately he declared this his favorite entree of the entire trip. He all but licked the plate!

I didn't see any entrees that appealed to me so I decided to have the cheese plate

and Jiko Salad Bibb Lettuce, Sorrel, Blueberries, Peaches, Celery, Pine Nut Brittle, and Preserved Lemon Yogurt

I really like Jikos cheese plate. The cheeses were all at room temperature rather than cold. I think the flavors come out much better than way.

But the salad was the true star for me! Sweet fruit, crunchy celery and the pine nut brittle! Yummy crispiness. Everything worked very well together. I could have eaten a whole nother one!

For dessert we shared the Chocolate and Tea Safari- Vanilla Rooibos-Tanzanian Chocolate Cake, Free Form “Kit Kat”, and Green Tea Ice Cream

I have read great reviews of this but other than the Kit Kat, we were not overwhelmed. It was just Ok for us.

What we did love were the chocolate chewy cookies we were given with the check -

Dark chocolate chewy yumminess! I would have paid for a whole plate of them to take back to the room!

Jiko was another meal that disappointed me last year but this year was terrific! Total cost (I am sure with wine) was 145.52. Definitely giving Jiko a

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013

Last edited by GoofySon'sMom; 09-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #408
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

In summary, the first part of our trip cost us $293.04 out of pocket and we ate all of the AKL restaurants. We really enjoyed both Sanaa and Jiko but have decided that there really is no 'draw' for us to return to Boma.

All in all a great way to start our vacation in an absolutely beautiful resort!

Next up, we check into Coronado and being deluxe dining! First up, Main Street Bakery 'snack' breakfast!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #409
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

I think it's a great idea to have tried all your resort's restaurants! We have ADRs for Sanaa and Jiko and I can't wait! Glad you loved both this year!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #410
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

I've had to really trim our dining and Boma for breakfast was still on our To Do list......bummer it wasn't a good experience!! Does any of the other restaurants do breakfast at the AKL?? We're trying to justify making the trip out there so we can see the holiday decorations....but it would need to be a breakfast.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #411
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I've had to really trim our dining and Boma for breakfast was still on our To Do list......bummer it wasn't a good experience!! Does any of the other restaurants do breakfast at the AKL?? We're trying to justify making the trip out there so we can see the holiday decorations....but it would need to be a breakfast.
No,I don't think so. Many, many on the Dis are Boma-lovers. It just didn't do it for us either of the times we ate there. That doesn't mean that you won't absolutely love it! If you want to see the Resort, definitely go for breakfast. AKL was beautiful at Christmas time. Well worth the trip!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #412
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Your Jiko meal looks good! I especially like that you didn't do an entree. The cheese plate and salad look like excellent choices!

Did you happen to see anything posted about Jiko doing wine tastings on Wednesdays? I read about it but the posts were over a year ago and I haven't seen anything recently about it.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #413
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Your Jiko meal looks good! I especially like that you didn't do an entree. The cheese plate and salad look like excellent choices!

Did you happen to see anything posted about Jiko doing wine tastings on Wednesdays? I read about it but the posts were over a year ago and I haven't seen anything recently about it.
I believe it was mentioned in the information about the Lodge that we were given, yes. I had originally wanted to fit it into our plans this trip but then never made it over there on Wednesday.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #414
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom

I believe it was mentioned in the information about the Lodge that we were given, yes. I had originally wanted to fit it into our plans this trip but then never made it over there on Wednesday.
Thanks! I would like to try and book it. I figure if I can get my hubby in the restaurant for that he may be willing to stay for dinner! :cool
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #415
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DS had the West African Braised Beef Short Rib Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Vegetables,and spicy Tomato Demi-glace

He only allowed me one bite of the meat and it was amazing! Tender, flavorful. Really great. Ultimately he declared this his favorite entree of the entire trip. He all but licked the plate!

And there you have it...further evidence that my fatty short rib was an exception rather than the norm at Jiko. Now I know how Linda felt when she was served cold cream cheese wontons at Yak & Yeti!
Anyway, I see that they have changed it up a bit since our visit in May. Very interesting with the roasted peanuts. I will probably still try a different entree next time around though, or I might follow your lead and go with the cheese plate and a salad.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #416
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Glad to see that for the most part Jiko delivered. I would definitely try the short ribs (hold the fat please!) and maybe even the salad as well. It is a nice touch that they present complimentary cookies at the end of the meal. Can you buy those anywhere?

Seeing as how Boma is the only AKL restaurant for which we have dined, I have so much to look forward to trying with Jiko and Sanaa.

Looking forward to the Deluxe DD portion of your trip next!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #417
sushi candy
Foodie

The Jiko meal looks amazing- a great bounce back from your disappointing Boma breakfast. I love the flatbread and the braised ribs just looks yummy.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #418
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Wow, once again my opinions are flipped from yours - I thought that salad was very good, but the cheese plate was fantastic! Probably my favorite in WDW right now. And the chocolate and tea safari is one of my favorite Disney desserts at the moment - I'm a huge fan of both rooibos and green tea, and I thought the flavors were very fun and creative for a dessert. In fact, the kit kat was my least favorite part of the dish.

Based on the current pattern, I'm already worried to read your review of Artist Point.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #419
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
No,I don't think so. Many, many on the Dis are Boma-lovers. It just didn't do it for us either of the times we ate there. That doesn't mean that you won't absolutely love it! If you want to see the Resort, definitely go for breakfast. AKL was beautiful at Christmas time. Well worth the trip!
Thanx Vicki! I think we'll just stick with the plans and give it a shot. I'm actually more concerned about the crowd & noise level due to the twins.....but we'll probably run into those issues most places.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #420
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Thanks! I would like to try and book it. I figure if I can get my hubby in the restaurant for that he may be willing to stay for dinner! :cool
That's a great plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
And there you have it...further evidence that my fatty short rib was an exception rather than the norm at Jiko. Now I know how Linda felt when she was served cold cream cheese wontons at Yak & Yeti!
Anyway, I see that they have changed it up a bit since our visit in May. Very interesting with the roasted peanuts. I will probably still try a different entree next time around though, or I might follow your lead and go with the cheese plate and a salad.
Loved them both. My perfect plan if we were to go back would be to do just what we did ... DS can have the short rib and give me a couple of bites and I will get the cheese plate and salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Glad to see that for the most part Jiko delivered. I would definitely try the short ribs (hold the fat please!) and maybe even the salad as well. It is a nice touch that they present complimentary cookies at the end of the meal. Can you buy those anywhere?

Seeing as how Boma is the only AKL restaurant for which we have dined, I have so much to look forward to trying with Jiko and Sanaa.

Looking forward to the Deluxe DD portion of your trip next!
I would have loved buying those cookies. I didn't see them, but I didn't really look either. Definitely put both Jiko & Sanaa on your next list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
The Jiko meal looks amazing- a great bounce back from your disappointing Boma breakfast. I love the flatbread and the braised ribs just looks yummy.
Yes, a very nice meal. And we hadn't planned on going there. Last minute decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Wow, once again my opinions are flipped from yours - I thought that salad was very good, but the cheese plate was fantastic! Probably my favorite in WDW right now. And the chocolate and tea safari is one of my favorite Disney desserts at the moment - I'm a huge fan of both rooibos and green tea, and I thought the flavors were very fun and creative for a dessert. In fact, the kit kat was my least favorite part of the dish.

Based on the current pattern, I'm already worried to read your review of Artist Point.
I have noticed our flipped opinions as well. You will just have to see what we thought of AP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Thanx Vicki! I think we'll just stick with the plans and give it a shot. I'm actually more concerned about the crowd & noise level due to the twins.....but we'll probably run into those issues most places.
I will say that our Boma breakfast was one of the loudest meals were had. Maybe you could request a table towards the back, away from the buffet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: