Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #391
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
So what it spicy?
I didn't remember it being extremely spicy - with the other ingredients on it (corn, cheese, green sauce, etc) it was very well-balanced.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #392
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

I had that chicken flatbread a couple of times on our last trip. I really liked it. I wouldn't call it spicy but it definitely has a lot of flavor. I was getting ready to be sad that I didn't try the falafel but then reading your review, maybe not. I don't remember it being there but I have only recently discovered falafel so I might have not noticed it.

Can't wait for the chef's table review. And where is dh? Did I miss that he was meeting you later?

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #393
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

That flatbread looks so yummy and huge!

Can't wait to read about your breakfast at Boma!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #394
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

The flatbread looks really good! I also agree on the falafal. It should not be huge squares! I also tend to go more for tatziki sauce.. Some places use Tahini sauce which I don't care for.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #395
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

That flatbread looks very yummy!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #396
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
I had that chicken flatbread a couple of times on our last trip. I really liked it. I wouldn't call it spicy but it definitely has a lot of flavor. I was getting ready to be sad that I didn't try the falafel but then reading your review, maybe not. I don't remember it being there but I have only recently discovered falafel so I might have not noticed it.

Can't wait for the chef's table review. And where is dh? Did I miss that he was meeting you later?
He will be appearing soon! DS and I got there Thursday afternoon, DH's flight came in late Friday morning.
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #397
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

So Friday morning I made an ADR at Boma for 9:30 figuring DS and I would have breakfast and then wait for DH in the lobby. I was going to be a good Diser and keep track of what time we checked in and how long we waited but I failed! I know we didn't wait long.

I was amazed at how crazy crowded Boma was! Oh my, it was chaos. Because of this, I did not take any pictures of the buffet.

My first plate ... bacon, sausage, a waffle, some goat cheese scrambled eggs, banana foster french toast and the cornbread/corned beef hash "thing" that I forget the name of!

Everything was just Ok for me. DS felt the same. Nothing stood out as being really great.

And my second plate

Pastries and fruit. I found the fruit too cold to enjoy. Had to wait for it to warm up a bit.

We both had the jungle juice, I had tea, DS had coffee. Total cost OOP was $40.45.

This day was our Boma, Sanaa and Jiko day. Remember when I said that we enjoyed 2 out of 3. Yep, this was our least favorite. And possibly DS and my's least favorite meal of the trip. I don't have one reason that I can point out. Yes, it was crowded and noisy but I expect that in Disney. It did seem that our waittress wanted to be any where but serving us. But again, if the food wow'd me that wouldn't ruin the meal. As much as I want to love Boma, I just don't.

So Boma gets a

from us.
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #398
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This day was our Boma, Sanaa and Jiko day. Remember when I said that we enjoyed 2 out of 3. Yep, this was our least favorite. And possibly DS and my's least favorite meal of the trip. I don't have one reason that I can point out. Yes, it was crowded and noisy but I expect that in Disney. It did seem that our waittress wanted to be any where but serving us. But again, if the food wow'd me that wouldn't ruin the meal. As much as I want to love Boma, I just don't.

Oops...I was totally wrong then on this one. Now I can't wait to hear about your lunch at Sanaa.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #399
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

DS arrived, we hung out in the room watching the animals & catching up on stuff. Walked around the resort a bit and then headed over to Sanaa for lunch. We ate at Sanaa last year and all deemed it the worst meal of the trip for us. Not because the food was bad, but more likely because it is just not our favorite flavor palette. But with all the great reviews here, I knew we had to try it again.

Our server, Katie, insisted that she remembered me from last year although we all agreed that she was not our server. But she was very friendly and gave us a few special extras so all was Ok with us!

I started out with a mango lassi (mango puree with non fat yogurt). I had this last year as well. Very creamy and refreshing!

We all shared the Breads - Our choices were the Naan, Papadum and Paneer Paratha with Cucumber Raita, Garlic Pickle and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus.

As with last year, we all really enjoyed this! The Naan was our favorite.

DH decided to have the fish of the day which was salmon with seasonal veggies in a light curry broth.

He really enjoyed this dish and ate every bite. At this point, DS and I were not being very adventurous and we didn't try it.

DS chose the Slowed Cooked in Gravy option with the short ribs, butter chicken and basmati rice.

Oh my! This was heaven on the plate! We asked for extra Naan so we could sop up every bit of the gravies. This was the first time any of us had tried butter chicken but hopefully it will not be the last. Chicken was super tender and the sauce left a very luxurious feeling on the tongue. And the short ribs were fall apart tender and not at all fatty.

I really wanted to try the tomato soup with paneer cheese

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH, I truly loved this soup! Rich and tomato-y with the melty cheese cubes. I am searching for a recipe as I would love to try to recreate it at home.

Katie also brought us two sample servings of what she said were new salads on the menu -

Watermelon, cucumber and fennel (sorry for the blur)

and Bhel Puri

Both were very tasty with the watermelon one being particfularly refreshing.

We were all stuffed but knew we had to have dessert. I really wanted to try the pina colada rooibos tea

This was just Ok. Didn't really taste of coconut or pineapple to me.

I asked about getting just the chai cream for dessert and was told that it is only part of the sampler. But that instead of the three desserts in the sampler, we could have three of the chai creams! OK!

Amazing, creamy goodness in a cup! Katie gave us the recipe, maybe I will give it a try at home one day!

Total cost for lunch still OOP was $85.63. And worth every penny. We loved this lunch! The atmosphere, service and food all get a

from us!

As a side note, we left Sanaa and went to see Art of Animation and then to DTD. After several hours, I realized that I had lost our gift card. I didn't remember putting it away at Sanaa. At that time, I think there was like $70 on it so not the end of the world but still. DS went back to Sanaa just in case and Katie saw him walk in and went to get the card. Very, very nice of her to put it aside and give it back to us!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #400
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Oops...I was totally wrong then on this one. Now I can't wait to hear about your lunch at Sanaa.
I thought I probably tricked you there!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #401
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Aww man! Wish you had a better dining experience. I agree that I can over-look spotty service if the food wowed! But at least you have your least favorite meal behind you and now on to better and brighter!

Oh, just saw your Sanaa pop up... I'll be back.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #402
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

That's pretty much how I felt about Boma - like I was mousing something! Why did everyone else love it when I just thought it was ok?!

Sanaa keeps sounding better and better but we haven't tried it yet! That was great of your server to put aside your gc!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #403
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DS arrived, we hung out in the room watching the animals & catching up on stuff.

Now you are confusing me!!! Do you mean DH?

We all shared the Breads - Our choices were the Naan, Papadum and Paneer Paratha with Cucumber Raita, Garlic Pickle and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus.

I REALLY want to try these!!! Especially the naan bread.

I really wanted to try the tomato soup with paneer cheese

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH, I truly loved this soup! Rich and tomato-y with the melty cheese cubes.
The soup looks/sounds amazing!

I asked about getting just the chai cream for dessert and was told that it is only part of the sampler. But that instead of the three desserts in the sampler, we could have three of the chai creams! OK!

Amazing, creamy goodness in a cup! Katie gave us the recipe, maybe I will give it a try at home one day!
I have a silly question. What is chai cream? Is it like pudding?
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #404
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Ohhh! I'm surprised that Boma was the least favorite as well!!

Sanna actually looks good! I've not looked into it because I always think it will be too spicy for me. Were any of the dishes spicy?
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #405
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Aww man! Wish you had a better dining experience. I agree that I can over-look spotty service if the food wowed! But at least you have your least favorite meal behind you and now on to better and brighter!

Oh, just saw your Sanaa pop up... I'll be back.
Yeah, I like and expect good service especially at WDW but I recognize everyone has a bad day. So the food will do a lot to make me forget the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
That's pretty much how I felt about Boma - like I was mousing something! Why did everyone else love it when I just thought it was ok?!

Sanaa keeps sounding better and better but we haven't tried it yet! That was great of your server to put aside your gc!
Wow, someone else that doesn't love Boma! I feel so much better!

Yeah, she could have pocketed that gift card and no one would have known. I wasn't even sure I left it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I have a silly question. What is chai cream? Is it like pudding?
It is very creamy, lighter than pudding. A bit thicker than whipped cream. It is really amazing. A very nice end to a meal!

(Yes, I meant DH arrived, not DS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Ohhh! I'm surprised that Boma was the least favorite as well!!

Sanna actually looks good! I've not looked into it because I always think it will be too spicy for me. Were any of the dishes spicy?
No, not real spicy at all. I am sure lovers of true Indian food probably think it is too tame. Just a hint of spice, really. We enjoyed our meal so much we may even try our local Indian restaurant!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: