Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
The only thing I'd be careful about is that others in this economy might not be rowing the same boat you are and can possibly be sinking. Although your friends in such a situation might be happy for you, it could make them feel weird.
This is exactly what I was alluding to. I'd be worried that I was asking someone to come celebrate something FABULOUS!! and not realize that maybe they were barely staying current on theirs, or worse. My DH and I try to be very careful and cautious about this sort of thing...we have a lot of friends that don't have anywhere near the lifestyle we do (not that we are THAT well off ), and we try to be modest and sensitive to their situations.
It's kind of like announcing to your SIL that you are pregnant again when she has been unable to concieve for years....
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
Angie789
Mouseketeer

People who can't be happy for you for accomplishing a big goal like that aren't your real friends anyway. I'm all for being sensitive to the feelings of others, but it's not like you are taking out an ad in the paper or anything. If it's family & close friends who've been with you on that journey, throw that party!!!!

And, sorry... but to compare this to infertility? Talk about insensitive...
Angie789 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I actually am struggling to conceive and would never dream of being bitter or cranky or anything but happy for someone else who was pregnant.

In the words of Dr.Suess those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

It's a big accomplishment. No one says "Oh we aren't going to have a graduation party, it might offend someone who is struggling in school."
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie789 View Post
People who can't be happy for you for accomplishing a big goal like that aren't your real friends anyway. I'm all for being sensitive to the feelings of others, but it's not like you are taking out an ad in the paper or anything. If it's family & close friends who've been with you on that journey, throw that party!!!!

And, sorry... but to compare this to infertility? Talk about insensitive...
I was raised to think of my MONEY (personal financial situation) as a very private thing, so yes, it IS a similar type of thing. I'm not going to speak in public about how much money I have, what my sex life is like, my relationship with God, or my political views, those, to me, are all VERY personal so I think it IS a fair comparison. (And I was the one feeling terrible while my SIL had her baby because we were pregnant and due within two weeks of one another and I had yet another miscarriage -- she was super sensitive about it, but it didn't help me feel any better)

My family and close friends don't know how close we are to paying off our mortgage, its not something that I would talk about with them. So having a "once in a lifetime party" (the OPs words) would be ostentatious and braggy, TO ME. It's only MY opinion. The OP asked for suggestions. I just suggested that she CONSIDER that some people might think it was braggy. I wasn't saying that I would think it was wrong of HER to do it, I said that *I* wouldn't do it.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
pigletto
DIS Veteran

While I would most likely celebrate quietly with just my husband because that's who we are..
I would happily celebrate with good friends or close family just to congratulate them. It's not my way of doing things, but I wouldn't resent celebrating a happy moment for others.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
disykat
DIS Veteran

I celebrated by posting on the DIS, where I am basically annonymous. I was also raised to believe it was tacky to brag about monetary fortune.

Had we paid off after 30 years, I could see celebrating more publicly because all my friends will have the same opportunity, but we paid off early - something many of our friends have been unable to do.

I would actually have no problem celebrating with others, but would not feel comfortable asking others to celebrate with me. To me, it would feel like showboating. I also don't post my kid's GPAs on facebook etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

We paid ours off 6 years ago, which was 26 years early... To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed by it. The few people I've told in real life act strange over it, think we are rich, etc. if I were you, I'd tell my very close friends and family and keep it at that. And my brother and close friend always keep me updated on how close they are to paying theirs off, which is great, but I'm pretty sure they thought our idea was great and they want to do it, too.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
wendow
DIS Veteran

I'm not really sure how we would celebrate but I just wanted to say "Congrats!!". It is a wonderful accomplishment that I imagine took much sacrifice and self-discipline. We are on the Dave Ramsey plan and are debt-free other than our mortgage. Even just that feels good to me so I cannot imagine how great being free of a mortgage would feel
Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinballFamily View Post
Looking to make our *final* payment in person at the bank on Dec. 31, 2012. Gotta keep up our momentum - we've been hyper-focused on paying this off for the past couple of years and, if we can do it, we will be almost nine years early! It is never too early to start planning this once-in-a-lifetime party - love to hear any crazy and fun ideas for a celebration you can think of! Short of taking a couple of marching band members to the bank with us, what else do you have? (Believe it or not, I thought of this!) It sure helps that it is New Years Eve, too...
I would do a Disney cruise!

That's great OP, however you choose to celebrate!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #25
mrsklamc

This month's Real Simple has a variety of 'alternative' s'mores recipes. Maybe a s'mores party for marshmallow roasting over the fire you burn your mortgage in?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnunzio3 View Post
We went to Disney World to celebrate. I wanted to wear the "I'm Celebrating" button and put on there paying off my mortgage, but my husband thought I was crazy, so I didn't.
This sounds better than having friends and fam over ..it would seem braggy/boastful, and you do not want anyone asking for assistance with $$ later cause of it.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #27
mrsklamc

Does a graduation party seem like its bragging? Hard work, a little luck, & discipline are required to reach a goal- pretty much the same thing. Or can someone have a party when they lose a hundred pounds? Or is that bragging too and might offend someone with a metabolic disorder?

Anyway... OP is having the party and it sounds like the invitees are aware already and not offended, so the thread is about ideas for the party, not whether she should have it.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia M View Post
Wow, our mortgage is scheduled to be paid off in a little less than 5 years and I'm already imagining the fancy dinner we will treat our friends with.....a very upscale local restaurant. I figured we would go not when we pay the last payment, but when the payment is usually due and treat these good friends....Basically we'd pay for an amazing dinner with the money we'd have made the mortgage payment with. A ridiculous splurge, perhaps, but I am already dreaming about it.

I guess I'll have to second guess myself about it now.

Jluia
I think that's a great idea. It depends on the person and their circle of friends if this would be a great sharing time or would be considered inappropriate, and can only be determined by the person. That sounds like a lovely event and people who have watched the dedication it took to accomplish the goal will want to celebrate with you and maybe be motivated themselves.
We should have ours paid off early next year, but I haven't given a thought to a celebration and probably won't have one, but just becasue it isn't something I'd do doesn't mean it's not a great idea for someone else.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

My parents paid theirs off when I was 13. I remember that because I was in 8th grade, and my parents had a dinner at our house with only my God parents and those SUPER close to us. (my family is really big, so normally a party turns into >45 people really quick!). When I asked about it, while dessert was being plated, I asked why everyone was over, and my dad explained motrgages to me. He explained how they (my parents) had worked very hard to pay it off, and that the people that were there had all worked hard with them - they had loaned them money for the down payment (my parents got screwed out of another house and didn't have a down payment - all of their friends pooled their money together and loaned/gave them a down payment - THOSE are real friends!), watched me and my sister between shift changes, or so my dad could study when he was finishing up his masters (on a full ride at Notre Dame) so that my parents didn't have to pay sitters, shuttled me and my sister to/from school practices, etc, when my parents were working overtime, that kind of thing. For my parents and their culture, they didn't do it on their own, and just having everyone over for a nice dinner and acknowledging everyones efforts was enough. Over dessert, we talked about the things we could do with the next mortgage payment (which was a family budget vacation to Macinac Island - my parents ended up paying the whole hotel bill for all their friends & their families who came too - it was a bed and breakfast - SUCH a great vacation!!!) and the crazy things we'd done over the years to save a buck.
The one weird and crazy thing we still talk about - driving down to WDW. On the way home, we got caught in a BLIZZARD and had to stop for a full day because they shut down the highway where we were. We were still far enough south that they didn't have snow plows, and we slept in the van.

Whatever you decide, congratulations to you, OP on your accomplishment. I'm sure that what started out as a huge sacrifice probably became habit, and finally paying off that mortgage is a sure sign of the changes you've made in your lifestyle to accomplish a terrific goal. It is cause for celebration - reaching that goal!

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

CONGRATULATIONS OP!!!!!!!!!!
And congratulations to all the other folks out there who have done the same! You are truly an inspiration. DH and I are working towards this goal. We had massive debt (credit cards, car, student loans) just over a year ago. I heard about Dave Ramsey on the DIS and read his book. Through a lot of hard work, luck and a very sweet loan from my Grandmother we are now credit card, car payment and (almost) student loan free. We are now working on paying my grandma back and paying off our mortgage. In 10 years we expect to be completely debt free. That's free and clear before we turn 40!

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: You could watch those classic TV episodes were people pay off their mortgages. PP have mentioned M*A*S*H and the Waltons. I know there is an Everybody Loves Raymond episode as well. I like the idea of having a fancy dinner for your support team. If you don't want to cook you could have it catered in your home. For at the bank you could wear a party hat and carry balloons. But I think the best idea is go to WDW to celebrate. That is what I would like to do.

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: