Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #451
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

I wonder if this could be one of those things that's related to individual states' gift card laws and not necessarily a Target specific thing? Some states have very specific laws about what's allowed to be done with gift card sales.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #452
GoofyMB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missx0xdelaney
I wonder if this could be one of those things that's related to individual states' gift card laws and not necessarily a Target specific thing? Some states have very specific laws about what's allowed to be done with gift card sales.
But the ones I have seem usually are to protect the consumer. I don't see this as anything but to increase the stores profit margin. Depending on what Target has to pay Disney I can certainly understand but would hate to lose this benefit.
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #453
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnrhi View Post
I can confirm this. They are no longer listed under 'Entertainment' Cards and are something like Brinkr brand... And you don't get 5% off.. I tried Saturday.
Wow I was able to pay for my whole trip with these cards. What state are you in? Just wondering if it is a state issue.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #454
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

If Target is transitioning to no 5% discount on Disney gift cards, what's the advantage of buying Target gift cards to purchase them? I thought you don't get the 5% discount when buying Target gift cards.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #455
tinytinkmom
I work to support my vacation habit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnrhi

I can confirm this. They are no longer listed under 'Entertainment' Cards and are something like Brinkr brand... And you don't get 5% off.. I tried Saturday.
Eeeek! May have to go to Target today to try this out for myself! This has been such a great deal (especially stacked with pharmacy rewards!), that I've been worried Target would change their policy...
WDW Offsite---August 1990 * Offsite---May 2003 * FW---May 2007 * POP---Jan 2009 * POP---March 2012 * POFQ---Dec 2012 DL Too many times to count! DCL Western---May 2007 * Eastern---Jan 2008 * MR---March 2011 * Double-Dip---March 2012 * Eastern---Dec 2012 * Western B2B ---Feb 2014 * Bahamas B2B---May 2014

tinytinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #456
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnrhi View Post
I wonder if the Pharmacy 5% off coupon still works?
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #457
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect
If Target is transitioning to no 5% discount on Disney gift cards, what's the advantage of buying Target gift cards to purchase them? I thought you don't get the 5% discount when buying Target gift cards.
You don't, but if you get a a Target gift card as a gift or free with a promotion, that's money off your Disney card. Also for team members, we are able to use our Team Member discount only when purchasing items with a Target credit/debit card, cash, check, or Target gift card. (No regular debit/credit cards allowed)

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #458
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer

ok I don't know if it is a state thing or what but my husband is at Target now, he just purchased a disney entertainment card (he texted me at 10:47am) and got both his employee discount and Target credit card discount worked just fine.
Disfamily0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #459
nefritz
Mouseketeer

I also just bought some and got the discount
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #460
zeferjen
Mother Knows Best

Darn. I may need to try this after work. I wasplanning on using this discount to offset my DVC annual dues.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #461
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie789 View Post
Yeah - I'm guessing that's what happened. All Target debit cards have a limit and since you immediately tried to make a large purchase (were they $50 cards? That's $2000 - starting limits on the debit cards are around $150), they probably flagged that card immediately. Were you using your temp card or the one that came in the mail? I didn't even try to use my temporary card - the limits may even be lower on those.
I got my debit card in September and immediately after I got it, I purchased my new camera, which was $300. I also did a little additional shopping. If there is a limit, I have no idea what it is, but mine definitely wasn't $150. Perhaps it varies by individual based on what your bank account looks like at the time you apply.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #462
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
I got my debit card in September and immediately after I got it, I purchased my new camera, which was $300. I also did a little additional shopping. If there is a limit, I have no idea what it is, but mine definitely wasn't $150. Perhaps it varies by individual based on what your bank account looks like at the time you apply.
I've purchased $500 in Disney gift cards in a single transaction (final price of $465 after Red Card and a $10 off coupon) with no problem at all.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #463
Cherene
Earning My Ears

OK everyone I called the number for credit services today and told them what happened and they told me to go back to the store and try it again. They instructed me to call them if there were any problems. I went and purchased $500 worth with no problem Strange why today and not yesterday. I can't believe these employee's would tell me that and one was even a manager. I will have to go back a couple times because it wouldn't allow me to purchase more cards after that purchase. I wish I was near a HEB .
Cherene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #464
Cherene
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by missx0xdelaney View Post
If you just got your debit card today, then you do have a limit. It's not something they'll tell you about or even that most cashiers would know about. The corporate Red Card people will not approve certain transactions until after you've been using the card for a whole because they want to get a sense of your purchasing habits so they can tell between your purchases and a fraudulent transaction. It's supposed to be there "for your security".
Yes you are right, they told me I didn't have a limit at the desk but they also said they don't do the 5% anymore. They were wrong on both accounts. See my other post.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #465
Cherene
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie789 View Post
Yeah - I'm guessing that's what happened. All Target debit cards have a limit and since you immediately tried to make a large purchase (were they $50 cards? That's $2000 - starting limits on the debit cards are around $150), they probably flagged that card immediately. Were you using your temp card or the one that came in the mail? I didn't even try to use my temporary card - the limits may even be lower on those.

I used my temp card and they were $50 cards. Read my other post about today.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: