Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #316
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2

This happened to me this past May. I wanted to pay off our August trip and was only able to buy a small amount at a time. I will add that Target rules seem to really vary from store to store and none of the ones in my area would allow me to use a Target GC to purchase a Disney GC. The other thing I found is that none of our Targets carry anything higher than a $50 GC and because I wanted to pay off a $4,000 trip and save an extra 5%....well, you can do the math at just how many I had to purchase. Needless to say, it took me 3 weeks (partly b/c of the debit limit and partly b/c none of the stores had enough in stock), 3 stores and almost 3 hours to enter each and every GC into the system to pay that vaca off. My DH thought I was completely nuts. Now, not sure if it was already mentioned but I recently found out that our BJ's carries Disney GC's up to $100 increments and they are all 5% off everyday for members.
It is within the rules/policy of every Target to accept a Target gc as payment on a Disney gc. If you are stopped from doing this I highly recommend you call Guest Relations, because there is no reason why that store should be making up its own rules.
As far as the debit limit, that is only on NEW debit card accounts. It is the same as if you are paying by a check. They want to see you establish a history of using the card and having the funds clear your account before they allow someone to clear your account. (Imagine someone taking a stolen checkbook, opening a card and using it to buy a TV. Just an example.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianweecare
Thanks! I have checked in the electronics department. That is where I have been finding them for months. Now the last two months when I have gone to Target...no Disney GC. Not even a slot on the kiosk for them. This last trip I ask the associate to check in the computer system. No Disney GC in the system.
Having a team member "check the system" for an item by name is often hit or miss. When you type a word into the program it assumes it is a key word and searches through the item names (as stated on the shelf label). Sometimes the names on the label are very vague and don't actually include the item's "street name", if you will. For example, Disney gift cards (and all similar cards for restaurants, movies and the like) are listed in the system "Entertainment Card $50", so doing a search for "Disney gift card" would not yield accurate results. I have aeached things i KNOW we carry for guests and had it not come up, so frustrating! The best way to do a search like that is using the item's "DPCI" number, Target lingo for item number. I just looked at a receipt and the DPCI for the $50 gc's is 276 03 0021. Try asking to search for that and you may get results, if nothing else possibly another store nearby carries them.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #317
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=missx0xdelaney;46330881]It is within the rules/policy of every Target to accept a Target gc as payment on a Disney gc. If you are stopped from doing this I highly recommend you call Guest Relations, because there is no reason why that store should be making up its own rules.As far as the debit limit, that is only on NEW debit card accounts. It is the same as if you are paying by a check. They want to see you establish a history of using the card and having the funds clear your account before they allow someone to clear your account. (Imagine someone taking a stolen checkbook, opening a card and using it to buy a TV. Just an example.)

I wasn't upset over the debit limit, just wished that had been explained to me when I asked that particular manager because I was very clear about why I was going to open one and what I had intended to use it for. He honestly didn't know about the limit and apologized profusely when I got to the cashier and wasn't allowed to make more than $150 in GC purchases, but I understood. Now as for the call, while I didn't call Guest Relations, I did take it a step further and placed a call to the corporate office and spoke with their Operations department (I work for a company that does a LOT of business with Target and got a contact name from one of our SVP's). I was basically told that it is up to each store manager's discretion as to whether or not they would allow using a Target GC to purchase any other GC, entertainment or otherwise. I also had an issue with one of the Target stores putting a limit on how many GC's I could purchase because they didn't want to get "wiped out" and that was exactly how that particular store manager put it, he wasn't very nice about either and I left fuming. Now, I will say that the third and last Target store I dealt with had a really nice manager who let me purchase as many Disney GC's as I wanted and she also told me that if I ever wanted to purchase a large amount of them in the future, that she had no problems with letting me buy out their entire store BUT not even she would let me use my Target GC towards the purchase of a Disney GC...at that point, I didn't even care to be honest....I was exhausted

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #318
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but you can actually get up to 10% (or more in some cases) off at Target if you use their Pharmacy. Basically for every 5 prescriptions that you fill at Target you get a coupon for 5% off all day, which can be combined with the 5% discount for using the Target red Debit/Credit card. By doing this, you end up at 10%.

You can also combine the 5% discount from the Pharmacy when paying with Target gift cards (which can be used to buy Disney Gift Cards, they just can't be used to by ones with Visa/Mastercard logos on them or other Target gift cards according to the fine print on the back of the gift card). Keeping this in mind, when you Target often offers a deal of a $25 gift card with each transferred or new prescription. So, you can get the 5% discount and free giftcards.

We also frequently get $5 off a $50 or more purchase in the mail, which can also be combined with any of these offers and used on Disney Gift Cards.

So, with 5 prescriptions you can end up with the following:
Buy $150 Disney Gift Cards (They are sold in $50 increments)
-$15 (10% discount by combining the Target Debt/Credit card and Prescription Discount)
-$5 of of $50
-$125 (5 x $25 Gift Card for Prescription Transfer)
Total Cash Needed (not including your prescription copays, which would be paid no matter where you get your prescriptions from): $5
Gift Cards Received: $150

Pretty good value there to me, no it won't work all the time, but depending on how many prescriptions your family has may work a few times.

At bare minimum, you can usually get a $50 gift card for $40. You can also increase this savings by buying discounted Target gift cards online.

For those having problems with buying Disney gift cards with Target gift cards, it clearly states on the Target gift card that the only thing you are not allowed to buy as far as gift cards go is the Visa/Mastercard gift cards and other Target Gift Cards (although some Targets will allow this). Point this out to the manager, if necessary. Also, do not pay for the cards in the electronics department (where they are usually located), they usually don't know what the rules are for everything, as they are mostly there to stock shelves and retrieve locked up items. Instead bring them to the front counter, it will save you a lot of time, especially if you end up needing the manager.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #319
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
For those having problems with buying Disney gift cards with Target gift cards, it clearly states on the Target gift card that the only thing you are not allowed to buy as far as gift cards go is the Visa/Mastercard gift cards and other Target Gift Cards (although some Targets will allow this). Point this out to the manager, if necessary. Also, do not pay for the cards in the electronics department (where they are usually located), they usually don't know what the rules are for everything, as they are mostly there to stock shelves and retrieve locked up items. Instead bring them to the front counter, it will save you a lot of time, especially if you end up needing the manager.
I totally agree with this. DH works at Target and thought that you weren't allowed to get a discount off of the Disney Gift cards. Because Target doesn't allow a discount off of the purchase of Target gift cards. Well, The Disney Gift Cards are considered an entertainment card. That's why the discount is allowed.

Think of it this way. Target doesn't allow a discount on the Target Gift cards because you could buy one and turn around and use it in the store. You could use your 5% discount again, thereby getting 10% off. However, since you are buying a entertainment card, there aren't any such restrictions. That's why it's allowed.

Most team members don't realize this. That's why there so much confusion. My DH has been with Target for 22 years and told me that I taught him something.... And he's a manager... LOL!!

Don't go to the electronics department. Defintely go to the front. Oh and if you need other stuff and have a Target Gift card, buy it at the same time as you buy the Disney Gift Cards. If definitely helps....

DH has always said, if the registers allow it, who am I to say no?

CatNipRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #320
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

I buy all my GC at BJ's, they are 5% of everyday for any member. Truth be told I am not even a member I ask my dad to go with me and we use his membership. lol
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #321
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn View Post
I buy all my GC at BJ's, they are 5% of everyday for any member. Truth be told I am not even a member I ask my dad to go with me and we use his membership. lol
My BJ's sells $25 GCs for $23.99. That's only 4% off. I'm also a rewards member so I get an extra 2% back in a BJ's GC, which can be used to buy more GCs (if my kids hadn't lost the last one, but I'm sure I'll find it somewhere). I just noticed that they had them last week, so I don't know if they sell them in denominations other than $25.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #322
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but you can actually get up to 10% (or more in some cases) off at Target if you use their Pharmacy. Basically for every 5 prescriptions that you fill at Target you get a coupon for 5% off all day, which can be combined with the 5% discount for using the Target red Debit/Credit card. By doing this, you end up at 10%.

You can also combine the 5% discount from the Pharmacy when paying with Target gift cards (which can be used to buy Disney Gift Cards, they just can't be used to by ones with Visa/Mastercard logos on them or other Target gift cards according to the fine print on the back of the gift card). Keeping this in mind, when you Target often offers a deal of a $25 gift card with each transferred or new prescription. So, you can get the 5% discount and free giftcards.

We also frequently get $5 off a $50 or more purchase in the mail, which can also be combined with any of these offers and used on Disney Gift Cards.

So, with 5 prescriptions you can end up with the following:
Buy $150 Disney Gift Cards (They are sold in $50 increments)
-$15 (10% discount by combining the Target Debt/Credit card and Prescription Discount)
-$5 of of $50
-$125 (5 x $25 Gift Card for Prescription Transfer)
Total Cash Needed (not including your prescription copays, which would be paid no matter where you get your prescriptions from): $5
Gift Cards Received: $150

Pretty good value there to me, no it won't work all the time, but depending on how many prescriptions your family has may work a few times.
Unfortunately, it probably won't work if you're a federal employee and get your health insurance through work. Target, CVS, Walgreens etc won't allow discount prescription deals if your insurance is through the Federal Employee Program. There is some law that forbids incentives for federally subsidized insurance. I'm sure it's meant to stop fraud in Medicare and other health entitlements; however the pharmacies also read it to mean the Federal Employee Program as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #323
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Unfortunately, it probably won't work if you're a federal employee and get your health insurance through work. Target, CVS, Walgreens etc won't allow discount prescription deals if your insurance is through the Federal Employee Program. There is some law that forbids incentives for federally subsidized insurance. I'm sure it's meant to stop fraud in Medicare and other health entitlements; however the pharmacies also read it to mean the Federal Employee Program as well.
I was told because they pay less out per script and pass on lower copays that you are already getting a discount and that is why it's not allowed. It could be a fraud thing too, not sure. You always hear different rumors when it comes to fed stuff. Coupons used to just say gov. but now they clearly list tricare etc. on the coupons so we can't use them.

Sam's has them a bit cheaper but not by much. I think it's .30 off each one. I know some of the gift cards they sell are better discounts than others, nintendo ds cards are $18.88 for $20 but the disney cards were only a few cents off.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #324
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really? Because I've gotten a Target GC for a new rx and earned CVS Extra Bucks with DH's fed plan. My mother and father have as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #325
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN

Really? Because I've gotten a Target GC for a new rx and earned CVS Extra Bucks with DH's fed plan. My mother and father have as well.
Getting a the gift card with a coupon is different (possibly because it's a store coupon?), but federal insurance plans are not eligible for the Pharmacy Rewards.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #326
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
I have never gotten the CVS Extra Bucks with prescriptions (and I have a number of them a month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #327
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
My BJ's sells $25 GCs for $23.99. That's only 4% off. I'm also a rewards member so I get an extra 2% back in a BJ's GC, which can be used to buy more GCs (if my kids hadn't lost the last one, but I'm sure I'll find it somewhere). I just noticed that they had them last week, so I don't know if they sell them in denominations other than $25.
Our BJ's does carry up to $100 denominations & you're right it is a 4% discount, I called ours again to double-check. I will say after the headache I had this past year with Target, I'm planning to get the majority of my GC's this time around at BJ's, the 1% difference isn't significant enough for me to go through all that craziness again. Now my exception to that will be when I earn the extra 5% day at Target and when I do, I'll go see the last Target store manager I worked with since she didn't impose a limit on how many GC's I wanted to purchase

Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #328
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never gotten the CVS Extra Bucks with prescriptions (and I have a number of them a month).
Are you sure? I get $1 for every two at the end of each season.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #329
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2

Our BJ's does carry up to $100 denominations & you're right it is a 4% discount, I called ours again to double-check. I will say after the headache I had this past year with Target, I'm planning to get the majority of my GC's this time around at BJ's, the 1% difference isn't significant enough for me to go through all that craziness again. Now my exception to that will be when I earn the extra 5% day at Target and when I do, I'll go see the last Target store manager I worked with since she didn't impose a limit on how many GC's I wanted to purchase
I couldn't quote your last post for some reason, but just wanted to let you know that calling Guest Relations is one of those things that actually gets results. The store manager (and district manager, if I'm mistaken) will get a call about the complaint and will be pushed to make the situation right (particularly if they are not following policy/making up rules). It is true that the store's have some wiggle room in determining limits but that's supposed to be for people who are abusing the system/committing fraud-type situations, but it shouldn't have really applied in your case because you are making legitimate purchases, especially on an item that rarely sells. They should be thanking you!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #330
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missx0xdelaney View Post
I couldn't quote your last post for some reason, but just wanted to let you know that calling Guest Relations is one of those things that actually gets results. The store manager (and district manager, if I'm mistaken) will get a call about the complaint and will be pushed to make the situation right (particularly if they are not following policy/making up rules). It is true that the store's have some wiggle room in determining limits but that's supposed to be for people who are abusing the system/committing fraud-type situations, but it shouldn't have really applied in your case because you are making legitimate purchases, especially on an item that rarely sells. They should be thanking you!
I honestly thought I'd get farther by calling their corporate office and well, that failed. But I do agree with what you're saying.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: