Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:15 AM   #1
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Plastic Parts - kitchen Faucet

We wante to replace our kitchen faucet and we went to Menards and Home Depot. It has been about 6 years since we got our last, " guaranteed for life" faucet. Anyway, we bought one for $145 and brought it home. My DH starts taking the old one out and I start getting the new one ready. He asked me to help him. We finally got it out, and I put it in a bucket and I told my dh, I would take it to the scrap metal recycling center, it was heavy.

So, we get the new one ready, and we find out the whole under carriage of the faucet is all made of plastic. Even the washers are plastic. We decided to go to a plumbing store 20 miles from our home and see what their prices were. They sold the same brands, but double the price. Everything was in the $300 range. But, their products had cast iron and copper parts. We asked how long will the plastic parts faucets last and we were told probably a year, maybe 2 if we are lucky.
The plumber had some faucets in his wear house that were older models that couldn't be ordered and he sold us one for $100 dollars. We took back the plastic one to Menards. I guess my story is just "buyer be aware."
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #2
nordkin
DIS Veteran

The big box stores have always sold the faucets with plastic parts. We realized it 20 years ago when remodeling our kitchen. We have found Ferguson's to be close in price to the big box stores, although still more, for the better quality all metal faucets.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Today, 10:55 AM   #3
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Our bathroom faucet is plastic. We've had it for about 12 years and it's still in perfect shape.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #4
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Everything seems to be made so cheaply now a days. I would rather pay more money for a quality item than less money for a piece of plastic that isn't going to last as long. It is very hard to find quality products anymore.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #5
kymom99
DIS Veteran

The plastic parts can be easy to "rebuild". My husband has stopped faucets from dripping by replacing some inexpensive parts. You don't necessarily have to buy a whole new faucet.
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World, Vegas NYNY
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #6
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom99 View Post
The plastic parts can be easy to "rebuild". My husband has stopped faucets from dripping by replacing some inexpensive parts. You don't necessarily have to buy a whole new faucet.
The actual faucets themselves aren't made with the same quality materials anymore though. We replaced our faucet a few years ago with a Moen faucet that cost $200 and I should have taken it back but I didn't. It is made out of a very light cheap plastic material. It was definitely not built for life as their commercials say.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkin View Post
The big box stores have always sold the faucets with plastic parts. We realized it 20 years ago when remodeling our kitchen. We have found Ferguson's to be close in price to the big box stores, although still more, for the better quality all metal faucets.
Yup. Our contractor sent us to Ferguson's too when we did a complete kitchen and bathroom remodel that wrapped up in June. The major faucet makers make identically looking faucets, one in plastic, and one in metal. The plastic ones are for the Home Depot and Lowes customers, the metal ones for the custom plumbing stores. Of course, you have to decide which to use based on a couple of factors. If you plan on moving anytime soon, or it is a rental, plastic is the way to go. We got 35 years out of our cheap faucets, but in 1979 that meant pot metal, not plastic. So we are easy on fixtures. This is our first and last house, we've owned it 32 years, so hopefully we'll be around another 35 years or more to see if the more expensive faucets were worth it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: